BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

11-06-2019, 12:01 PM   #1
E46tknv
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 M3

Test pipe w/ Megan exhaust ?

Hello everyone

As much as I know this topic has been beaten over the head millions of times, I’d like to reopen the conversation.

Current setup: car is 100% stock except Megan supreme ultimo muffler. It does sound slightly louder over stock but still not filling that void for me. I’ve considered MS X pipe but just don’t want to spend 2K on the setup.

I began to look into test pipes instead. I’ve watched a ton of videos with this Megan exhaust/ test pipe setup. It’s tough to tell what your getting by watching YouTube videos. I was utterly disappointed by the exhaust alone as it was almost close to being stock.

Here’s a few questions about this:

1) dB of Megan exhaust vs Megan exhaust with test pipes?( not sure if anyone did a sound test or comparison video back to back)
2) how much of a difference is adding the test pipes to the existing Megan muffler?( noticeable power? Noticeable sound?)
3) what test pipe do you recommend and why?
4) did you need a dyno tune after test pipe install or does the simple plug and play software all you need to experience performance gains and removal of SES light.
5) is there noticeable backfiring? Burble? Or is that related to X pipe

Thank you in advance for any input
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 12:06 PM   #2
bmwlover0725
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe

1) Not sure as to how loud it would be either way since I don't own the exhaust, but I have a CNT with test pipes which is similar and boy is it LOUD.
2) You'll notice a sizable difference. Test pipes will always allow for better flow thus giving you more noise
3) Turner. Because I have them. There honestly isn't much of a difference in test pipes.
4) Go to Mike at BPM for a tune. You'll get hooked up and you wont need to worry about your light. Plus you'll have a noticeable performance increase.
5) I can't speak for the Megan on backfire, but again - mine is similar and has SOME backfire/burble, but not a lot.
      11-06-2019, 12:39 PM   #3
Shmelgy
B.E.
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 & 1969 Mustang Fastback

Here's a video of my Megan + test pipes from back in the day. Keeping the secondary cats on definitely helps keep the smell down if that bothers you.

Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 11:32 PM   #4
E46tknv
Private First Class
Rep

Thank you for some input. That video essentially sounds the same as all the other videos online posted.

Yes the test pipes all seem to be the same considering there’s not much going on.

I believe my issue is that I have no idea what my car sounds like from behind since I do not let anyone drive it but I may need to. The v8 is completely overpowering inside the cabin.

Also, to go see Mike at BPM, they are in LA. So I’d be doing the plug and play tune they offer I guess for $899. Not sure if that’s after being hooked up or is that retail. Based on their website, they have a claim of 430rwhp after removing primary cats, is that a true number since these cars come with Only about 350rwhp?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 12:46 AM   #5
chocstraw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1635216

Self-plug but you could consider a cutout setup if noise is a concern. I get straight pipe when I want it and quiet when I don't. Perfect for driving the gf around, or if I have guests.

Test pipes are good for 20whp, tune is good for 10-12 at the wheels, intake is good for another 10, and pulleys are good for 8. That's full bolt on. It'll bring most M3s to about 390 as there are diminishing returns to stacking everything. Full carbon plenum, long tube headers, and cams will bring you to 410. Those are all about $2000 each.

Rogue TPs and Alex@Alpine for a tune

Stock dynos at about 350 if the compression is healthy and on the newest software.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 02:38 AM   #6
Shmelgy
B.E.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46tknv View Post
Thank you for some input. That video essentially sounds the same as all the other videos online posted.

Yes the test pipes all seem to be the same considering there's not much going on.

I believe my issue is that I have no idea what my car sounds like from behind since I do not let anyone drive it but I may need to. The v8 is completely overpowering inside the cabin.

Also, to go see Mike at BPM, they are in LA. So I'd be doing the plug and play tune they offer I guess for $899. Not sure if that's after being hooked up or is that retail. Based on their website, they have a claim of 430rwhp after removing primary cats, is that a true number since these cars come with Only about 350rwhp?
I've never seen 430 TO THE WHEELS from any tune and cat delete. I got 380rwhp on a dynojet with just an Alpine tune and Gintani xpipe. No pulleys, no intake
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 07:26 AM   #7
E46tknv
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmelgy View Post
I've never seen 430 TO THE WHEELS from any tune and cat delete. I got 380rwhp on a dynojet with just an Alpine tune and Gintani xpipe. No pulleys, no intake
I agree. I did see their charts. It seems like their dyno is out of whack because a stock car with no tune or any work was showing 405rwhp and 420 with tune/test pipe.

I’m also seeing many members either went with BPM or Evolve.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 09:14 AM   #8
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Mustang GT

Quote:
I agree. I did see their charts. It seems like their dyno is out of whack because a stock car with no tune or any work was showing 405rwhp and 420 with tune/test pipe.

I’m also seeing many members either went with BPM or Evolve.
I have the Megan and test pipe setup. Its loud enough but not obnoxious, I can't begin to tell you on how many people stop me to tell me how good my car sounds. Also, how long have you had the Megan? It does break in and you will get more volume from it after the matting inside the muffler starts to get matted down I have had mine now for over 6yrs. and it is well broke in and it sounds great.

Dave

Last edited by Dave07997S; 11-07-2019 at 09:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 11:15 AM   #9
E46tknv
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave07997S View Post
I have the Megan and test pipe setup. Its loud enough but not obnoxious, I can't begin to tell you on how many people stop me to tell me how good my car sounds. Also, how long have you had the Megan? It does break in and you will get more volume from it after the matting inside the muffler starts to get matted down I have had mine now for over 6yrs. and it is well broke in and it sounds great.

Dave
I’d say I’ve had it for at least 5 months now. And I’ve heard about this so called break in period.

Before you added test pipes with exhaust only, were you disappointed ? Because I was very disappointed. All I’ve noticed is when the cars RPMs are dropping to the lower range that I can feel a slight drone which is the only thing that lets me remember I have an aftermarket exhaust.
After test pipe, did you get a noticeable difference?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 12:25 PM   #10
Shmelgy
B.E.
United_States
Rep

For the record, I never had Megan by itself. It went on at the same time as test pipes, and is still probably one of my favorite setups for this car. Quiet when you need to be, loud when you get on it, and great all around sound
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 04:38 PM   #11
E46tknv
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmelgy View Post
For the record, I never had Megan by itself. It went on at the same time as test pipes, and is still probably one of my favorite setups for this car. Quiet when you need to be, loud when you get on it, and great all around sound
Understood. I guess now it’s down to choosing either Evolve or BPM tune. There’s a $150 delta in between. Not sure why considering both give same results
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 07:58 PM   #12
Mpow-wow
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3 2008 X3

Quote:
Understood. I guess now it’s down to choosing either Evolve or BPM tune. There’s a $150 delta in between. Not sure why considering both give same results
Why not Alpine tune?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 08:37 PM   #13
E46tknv
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpow-wow View Post
Why not Alpine tune?
Good point. I don’t remember seeing this tune help anyone unless your stock. I don’t see anything for cars that are missed

I do see they are at a more reasonable price point vs Evolve and BPM

Last edited by E46tknv; 11-07-2019 at 08:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 09:36 AM   #14
Shaan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 / '14 Tundra

ive had three different setups using the megan exhaust on 2 different E92's:

Megan mufflers only
Megan mufflers with MS test pipes
Current: Megan mufflers with Bimmerworld resonated x-pipe

my favorite of them all was definitely the muffler with test pipes. I didnt hear any rasps and as others have said, for the price and the compliments I used to get, you cant beat it. Currently the bimmerworld X-pipe has a little too much rasp for my liking at the lower RPMs. But its currently on the car, and I wanted a little more power so it'll probably stay on until I get really really tired of it.

to answer your questions

1) dB of Megan exhaust vs Megan exhaust with test pipes?( not sure if anyone did a sound test or comparison video back to back)
Naturally youll hear an increase in sound, it is noticeable but nothing too loud im my opinion

2) how much of a difference is adding the test pipes to the existing Megan muffler?( noticeable power? Noticeable sound?)
both noticeable power and sound, but again not much.

3) what test pipe do you recommend and why?
MS because ive had them before. Most if not all branded test pipes are the same if im not mistaken

4) did you need a dyno tune after test pipe install or does the simple plug and play
software all you need to experience performance gains and removal of SES light.

didnt do a dyno or a tune but yes the a tune will take care of the gains and light. Ill probably be getting a BPM tune down the road.

5) is there noticeable backfiring? Burble? Or is that related to X pipe

i didnt notice any, even with the X pipe i have now, i think thats more tune related.

I would look for a used MS x pipe. they usually pop up around here for about 700-800 bucks. thatll be my next x-pipe to try out eventually
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 11:04 AM   #15
E46tknv
Private First Class
Rep

MS x pipe is what I plan for down the road but looking for alternative options that can give me that sound increase. I didn’t want to go forward spending $1000 on the X pipe and tune. I’ll try the test pipes with tune first, and then report back. If I feel it’s not enough, I’ll move forward with MS X pipe.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 03:28 PM   #16
sergbaja5t
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92-M3 Comp

I have that exact exhaust setup. Its perfect! I get compliments everywhere I go. I think I can make some videos and post them to you tube.
Appreciate 0