BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Mporium BMW

07-28-2023, 10:43 AM   #1
Mosaud1998
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540

Garage List
2019 BMW 540  [0.00]
Is Linkedin Premium worth it?

Well, I am officially graduating college in October with a Bachelor of Science Degree. The Major is Business management and the minor is in sales and marketing. I have started looking for jobs. I've got a Linkedin profile all up to snuff. Started applying for jobs and keep getting asked to try out the Linkedin career premium thing for a month for free. After the month, if I forget to pull my credit card from Linkedin, I'll get charged $35/month. Does anyone have experience with premium?

I wish I could build my way up at the current place I work for, but this new job sucks (y'all know what). I used to work for a Ford dealership (I was there for 3 years) and built my way up to an assistant used car manager position from a salesman. A couple of months into that position, Ford decided to shut us down (that's what the owner told us but I think Ford gave him fat $$$$ to buy the store back).

We all got transferred over to the owners Hyundai store. Let me tell you I hate this new store and the GM. The GM is such a cheap fker. He doesn't pay anyone well. Every salesman I've talked to wants to quit (17 of them). All of them are in the draw (so they owe the store money). How can you sell 15+ cars and still owe the store money? My last two paychecks from this hot garbage were under $1,000 (two weeks).

Anyways enough with the rant, what are some other good job-sourcing sights? I know of Linkedin, indeed, monster, etc.
chassis6336.00
      07-28-2023, 11:53 AM   #2
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
I have LI premium (not sure the name of it) and use it alot. Things like this are not quantifiable, regarding price paid and received value. I see it as valuable. I don't know what features are not available to non-premium users.

At minimum, make sure your LI profile is fully filled-out and do the typical social media thing, liking posts and building your network in LI.

Good luck on the job search. Commissioned sales is a hard gig most of the time.
Appreciate 2
      07-28-2023, 12:07 PM   #3
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

I wouldn't bet on a monthly $35 subscription fee to help you find a job. I feel like people that are recruiting, networking, brand/company marketing, and using other LinkedIn functionality would use the premium functions.

When I use LinkedIn to learn more on jobs I will look at postings, see if anyone in my network works at that company, or maybe one of my connections knows the recruiter. I have been able to "stalk" my way around without the premium access.
nazali1261.50
Mosaud19983851.50
jmack548.50
chassis6336.00
      07-28-2023, 12:22 PM   #4
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 230 2020 vert F23

I've been on LI since 2010 when I landed in Canada, not once has it found me a job, I have a network, make posts, like, all that crap, but no, I got more from monster and indeed
I have applied for jobs threw it
for the most part recruiters use it to get to you, so from that part is good, BUT that is >>>>FREE<<< (and included in standard linkedin)
You get a lot of this what I like to call scare/dodgy tactics

"you have 5 people reading your profile, subscribe to be a premium user to unlock"

BULLCRAP

They are a sales company keep trying to sell you subs and other crap

DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY $35 a month wow $420 a year, no way put that 400 to a suit, or a good quality printer and ink

Last edited by nazali; 07-28-2023 at 02:17 PM..
Appreciate 4
vreihen1614808.50
chassis6336.00
xander_g955.00
nerdogray1268.00
      07-28-2023, 12:26 PM   #5
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

THIS is a good read

https://www.digitalfodder.com/linkedin-premium-review/
Appreciate 1
chassis6336.00
      07-28-2023, 02:33 PM   #6
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazali View Post
I've been on LI since 2010 when I landed in Canada, not once has it found me a job, I have a network, make posts, like, all that crap, but no, I got more from monster and indeed
I have applied for jobs threw it
for the most part recruiters use it to get to you, so from that part is good, BUT that is >>>>FREE<<< (and included in standard linkedin)
You get a lot of this what I like to call scare/dodgy tactics

"you have 5 people reading your profile, subscribe to be a premium user to unlock"

BULLCRAP

They are a sales company keep trying to sell you subs and other crap

DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY $35 a month wow $420 a year, no way put that 400 to a suit, or a good quality printer and ink
I had my once-in-a-career lucky move happen via LinkedIn. My current company (been there for 9 years) had a recruiter message me on LinkedIn asking to interview for a role. I didn't apply or even know the job existed. I didn't see the message for 2 weeks and the recruiter kept reaching out. I finally saw it and replied. After a few interviews I got the job. All the other jobs I have had in the past there was a lot more effort and disappointment. If I have to change jobs again I know it will be much harder than that experience. I'm very grateful for how the current gig played out and because of this will always be a fan of LinkedIn
chassis6336.00
      07-28-2023, 02:35 PM   #7
EezyBeezy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW F[am]80 M3

LinkedIn Premium can be worth it, especially when it's free. There are ways to attain Premium without having to pay the monthly fee.

Regardless if you pay or not, you have to be active and consistently reaching out to recruiters.
Appreciate 2
chassis6336.00
      07-28-2023, 03:03 PM   #8
..Rush..
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E88

Very expensive.
Good if you want to see who is looking at your profile
Appreciate 1
chassis6336.00
      07-28-2023, 03:20 PM   #9
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
LinkedIn is good as an online resume. Recruiters search so having your keywords publicly online vs a job board makes you infinitely easier to find. But that is free to do. Plus you can search all the jobs. Additionally, the networking component is helpful if you know someone working at a company that has a position you’re interested. Many (not all) companies will pay the employee a referral bonus, so they aren’t just incentivized by getting a friend or colleague hired, they are financially compensated. I have never gotten a job through LinkedIn but know my profile and activity was reviewed by my future boss and has also led to many networking opportunities.

It’s an underrated resource that most people really don’t exploit as well as they could. For example, I start a lot of my research on companies through LinkedIn first before I visit their website and can learn things I wouldn’t learn by simply visiting the company website.
Appreciate 1
chassis6336.00
      07-28-2023, 04:10 PM   #10
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

We have been using a company called Resflex that calls on candidates in your area for specific hard to fill jobs. Its insanely expensive whether you hire someone or not.

That being said, I go into each lead and thumbs up, down, or inpartial. 90% of the leads are just contacts pulled on LinkedIn.
Well crap for that money, I could have done that easily....

Personally, I think LinkedIn is a huge waste of bandwith but I guess I'm one of the few that feel this way.
Appreciate 1
Bruuuce341.50
      07-28-2023, 06:50 PM   #11
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

I think that LI is good dont get me wrong, but I'm not pay 35 bucks a month for something I get free and some snake oil advertising promising that someone is waiting in the wings to talk to me but I have to pay for the privilege.

It's "almost" like thoes free dating sites, but you have to pay for the extra's like replying to a message and stuff like that, in free mode there pretty much useless and window shopping.

THE WORSE part is that you all of a sudden get somone who is your type looking for you and you should really upgrade

AND the SADDEST PART is some if not 99% of these sites use AI bots or employees to string you along thinking your talking to a real person

THAT my friends is exactly what linkedin does.

Every job I've ever got I've either got through a freind, a REAL agency, where you have to walk in or I've had my resume seen and been rung

does linkin in work, for sure, should you pay extra, NO, Linkedin is basically a pimp
Appreciate 2
chassis6336.00
c1pher4529.00
      07-28-2023, 07:07 PM   #12
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EezyBeezy View Post
LinkedIn Premium can be worth it, especially when it's free. There are ways to attain Premium without having to pay the monthly fee.

Regardless if you pay or not, you have to be active and consistently reaching out to recruiters.
Only time I used it was when offered the free trial; otherwise, I see no benefit from paying a monthly fee.
Appreciate 1
chassis6336.00
      07-29-2023, 02:08 PM   #13
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Premium is not worth it to me and I am considering dropping it altogether. I think LinkedIn is a source for spam generators.
Tyga113223.00
c1pher4529.00
      07-30-2023, 02:08 PM   #14
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Premium is not worth it to me and I am considering dropping it altogether. I think LinkedIn is a source for spam generators.
This. I have an account from a million years ago. Have never gotten any value from it. The only messages I get on there are clearly spam. That being said I'm certainly not active nor am I looking for work so.... maybe if I was it would be different. However even when I had been looking for work I have never gotten a job from Linkedin.
Appreciate 2
RickFLM410798.50
c1pher4529.00
      03-11-2024, 05:55 AM   #15
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLellan View Post
I wouldn't bet on a monthly $35 subscription fee to help you find a job. I feel like people that are recruiting, networking, brand/company marketing, and using other LinkedIn functionality would use the premium functions.

When I use LinkedIn to learn more on jobs I will look at postings, see if anyone in my network works at that company, or maybe one of my connections knows the recruiter. I have been able to "stalk" my way around without the premium access.
The only major thing LI Premium has gotten me was the ability to do deeper research on companies and people and to interact in threads (don’t need premium for that). I feel like the basic account can give you the exposure you would want if you have your details on your account so you can be found. Most people who reach out to me are recruiters (not to hire me but to help me find talent) and salespeople. I have never gotten a job off LinkedIn. I have had a few nibbles here and there but all were dead ends. I have had an account since 2007.
Appreciate 1
JMcLellan1868.00
      03-11-2024, 06:05 AM   #16
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nazali View Post
I think that LI is good dont get me wrong, but I'm not pay 35 bucks a month for something I get free and some snake oil advertising promising that someone is waiting in the wings to talk to me but I have to pay for the privilege.

It's "almost" like thoes free dating sites, but you have to pay for the extra's like replying to a message and stuff like that, in free mode there pretty much useless and window shopping.

THE WORSE part is that you all of a sudden get somone who is your type looking for you and you should really upgrade

AND the SADDEST PART is some if not 99% of these sites use AI bots or employees to string you along thinking your talking to a real person

THAT my friends is exactly what linkedin does.

Every job I've ever got I've either got through a freind, a REAL agency, where you have to walk in or I've had my resume seen and been rung

does linkin in work, for sure, should you pay extra, NO, Linkedin is basically a pimp
I feel like today’s third party recruiters are modern day slave traders. I have no problem with recruiters who work for a company trying to hire people for said company. But people who want the equivalent of 25% or more of someone’s first year salary just to link two people together is ludicrous. At some point, the same thing happening to realtor fees will happen to third party/external recruiters but not soon enough IMO.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 09:47 AM   #17
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

Just a feedback, I got laid off in jan, I considered it again, but its more for us, its 35 US that's not the same Canadian, +tax, and that assumes you pay 1 year in advance to get that rate, it's more like $45 monthly + taxes.

I cant afford 45/monthly just to connect with people, I'm already doing that
it also just limits who you can contact, but you usually still can just friend and message
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 01:07 PM   #18
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosaud1998 View Post
Well, I am officially graduating college in October with a Bachelor of Science Degree. The Major is Business management and the minor is in sales and marketing. I have started looking for jobs. I've got a Linkedin profile all up to snuff. Started applying for jobs and keep getting asked to try out the Linkedin career premium thing for a month for free. After the month, if I forget to pull my credit card from Linkedin, I'll get charged $35/month. Does anyone have experience with premium?

I wish I could build my way up at the current place I work for, but this new job sucks (y'all know what). I used to work for a Ford dealership (I was there for 3 years) and built my way up to an assistant used car manager position from a salesman. A couple of months into that position, Ford decided to shut us down (that's what the owner told us but I think Ford gave him fat $$$$ to buy the store back).

We all got transferred over to the owners Hyundai store. Let me tell you I hate this new store and the GM. The GM is such a cheap fker. He doesn't pay anyone well. Every salesman I've talked to wants to quit (17 of them). All of them are in the draw (so they owe the store money). How can you sell 15+ cars and still owe the store money? My last two paychecks from this hot garbage were under $1,000 (two weeks).

Anyways enough with the rant, what are some other good job-sourcing sights? I know of Linkedin, indeed, monster, etc.

This old post just refreshed today since somebody replied. That got me curious. Did you graduate as planned? Did you find a great job? Hope so. All the best.
Appreciate 1
2000cs3433.00
      03-11-2024, 07:11 PM   #19
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

also another interesting thing I found,

Linkedin has a newer feature, where you can contribute to articles, so they ask things like contribute to this article "How can we improve teamwork"

I've been doing this, I think this raises your profile a bit, you are seen to be interacting and contributing, plus a lot of this can be seen as interviewing type questions.

So recruiters can see you contributing and talking about your job..

I had a recruiter reach out to me for a role, I still didnt pay for premium
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 07:12 PM   #20
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

Almost like on the forums, the more vocal and helpful you are the more you are taken seriously by your peers.

I mean people think I'm still a nutbar level 6, (i'm hoping to ascend to level 10)
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 07:40 PM   #21
nerdogray
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

I could not care less which Indian contracting agency has looked at my profile. I get contacted frequently by recruiters, and my profile is as anonymous as it can get. No picture, no company names (all names listed as "confidential"), nothing. I refuse to give Microsoft any further information and especially money after their repeated displays of wokeness. Now they want me to "verify" by linking to my CLEAR account. Sure, I'll get right on that.

Free version works just fine as long as you don't have to know who has been eyeballing your profile. I actually got my current role through LI. It's nothing to go crazy over, but it does pay fairly well for the current market conditions. Historically good paying roles are paying absolute crap right now. I'm barely making it, but I am making it.
Appreciate 1
nazali1261.50
      03-11-2024, 09:15 PM   #22
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

thats very good information actually,
a total 360 of what they say you SHOULD do in LI

I dont care who contacts me I just want them to be sensible, if there contacting somone in TO for a job (onsite) in frigging Floridah !

This year, it has been hard, I'm not even getting John from Bombay cold calling me on the phone anymore, so it must be bad.

It's good to know whoes eyeballing you, just to see if your boss is looking you up
I wouldnt pay for the privilidge though.

it also depends on what your skill set and job title, some roles will get calls even in the middle of a recession

so I wouldnt necessairly say that no pic/comp/conf will work for everyone on linkedin
Appreciate 1
nerdogray1268.00