BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery

BPM

12-16-2007, 10:10 AM   #1
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

My Car in Snow

I'm posting this here since I'm more a part of this community than I am in the e46 or even e90 forums. Plus, its something new to look at. This is what I woke up to today. I'm in Albany, NY right now. Please Excuse the poor quality as my phone's camera isn't that great.

If an Admin thinks this is inappropriate to post here (since I own a e46 330ci) then feel free to delete or move to the general BMW forum. I'm just sharing my conditions. I hope it gets to stay though!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2007, 01:06 PM   #2
Gadgetman
Captain Darren
United_States
Rep
Drives: Canadian Regional Jet 900

I missed being stationed in Upstate NY in Glens Falls.

Regards,
2005 BMW E46 M3 TiAg (sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2007, 01:47 PM   #3
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

I don't miss weather like this ('Winterpeg') - have fun digging your e46 out

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2007, 01:52 PM   #4
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

I dug it out just fine. Some plows even came by a few hours ago. But if you watched the 3rd video I posted, the only way out of my parking lot is up a 30 degree inclined hill. Suffice it to say, I can't make it with things as they are. So I'm hoping something changes soon since tomorrow night I'm suppose to drive home to Tx.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2007, 02:02 PM   #5
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Haha, now its raining... which means it'll be sleet and then ice. So I'm screwed.
      12-16-2007, 02:18 PM   #6
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Ultimate, that's nothin'!!! It took me 6 hours to drive home in Boston on I-90 on Th (a 25 minute trip normally). I saw 2 18 wheelers and a 20-ton snow plow truck get stuck in front of me. It'a miracle I made it home. I chose the flattest route I could, and had to "block" traffic for 10 minutes to let a gap open right before the hills, and then just cross my fingers and charge it in my RWD 325ci. I made it each time although it was pretty close once. FWD cars without traction control were getting stuck all around me. Traction control and snow tires rule. Funny thing is, my parking lot is also up a hill like yours, and the car just would not climb that--it was fun to try--so I had to leave it on the street. They had mercy and did not give me a ticket.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2007, 02:26 PM   #7
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Haha, thats awesome. Well done! I-90 over in boston is 3 lanes wide right? Sounds treacherous with some many other people around you!

I actually have summer tires on my car right now since I'm leaving in a few days and it's only recently started to snow much. I figured I'd save the money of shipping my snow tires up from Texas to be put on.
      12-16-2007, 02:30 PM   #8
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
Haha, now its raining... which means it'll be sleet and then ice. So I'm screwed.
I know those conditions - time for a RS4 + snow rubber?

///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2007, 02:33 PM   #9
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
Haha, thats awesome. Well done! I-90 over in boston is 3 lanes wide right? Sounds treacherous with some many other people around you!

I actually have summer tires on my car right now since I'm leaving in a few days and it's only recently started to snow much. I figured I'd save the money of shipping my snow tires up from Texas to be put on.
Yeah, it's 3 lanes, but was done to a single lane at places. The highlight of the trip was me blocking the whole Cambridge exit ramp for 5-7 minutes. I kept on telling the pissed-off drivers behind me that if I were to go ahead and get in line with the rest, I would never get going again, that they would all be stuck behind me for another 10 hours, and that I really needed to CHARGE THE RAMP! I hope that they saw my point when I finally did so as I barely made it zigzagging my way up through the stuck cars; they were watching carefully from a distance to see what would happen. Good luck with those summer tires, and have a safe trip!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2007, 02:36 PM   #10
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Yeah, it's 3 lanes, but was done to a single lane at places. The highlight of the trip was me blocking the whole Cambridge exit ramp for 5-7 minutes. I kept on telling the pissed-off drivers behind me that if I were to go ahead and get in line with the rest, I would never get going again, that they would all be stuck behind me for another 10 hours, and that I really needed to CHARGE THE RAMP! I hope that they saw my point when I finally did so as I barely made it zigzagging my way up through the stuck cars; they were watching carefully from a distance to see what would happen. Good luck with those summer tires, and have a safe trip!
I know exactly where your head was at for that. I've done the exact same thing. Always dreading that friction threshold.
      12-16-2007, 02:53 PM   #11
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I kept on telling the pissed-off drivers behind me that if I were to go ahead and get in line with the rest, I would never get going again, that they would all be stuck behind me for another 10 hours, and that I really needed to CHARGE THE RAMP! I hope that they saw my point when I finally did so as I barely made it zigzagging my way up through the stuck cars;
Good job mate I know how tricky icy ramps can be ...

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2007, 03:28 PM   #12
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

I live a few miles east of Syracuse. Fortunately, I picked up my 335Xi coupe (w/ 18" Dunlop 3D's) last week. I actually had to drive 50 miles home from the dealer in a snow storm. I have to say BMW did a great job with this car; it hooks up really well. Very confidence inspiring.

Lucid, do you have snows or just running the all saesons?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2007, 08:11 PM   #13
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
I live a few miles east of Syracuse. Fortunately, I picked up my 335Xi coupe (w/ 18" Dunlop 3D's) last week. I actually had to drive 50 miles home from the dealer in a snow storm. I have to say BMW did a great job with this car; it hooks up really well. Very confidence inspiring.

Lucid, do you have snows or just running the all saesons?
I'm running snows. There is absolutely no way I could have even left work that day on all seasons with RWD.

Do you have any experience with the A4s AWD system. If you do, how does your 335xi compare? I keep on hearing people saying how much better Audi's system is just because they've been doing it for so long and all that, but I am doubtful. Just because someone's been doing something for a long time doesn't mean that someone else can't do it better...

Also, how does the 335xi compare to 335i on dry roads in terms of feel?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2007, 08:15 PM   #14
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltigeur View Post
Good job mate I know how tricky icy ramps can be ...
Next time I see a weather forecast like that one, I will sleep on the couch in my office. I moved to the East coast from CA 2 years ago, so this is all new to me.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2007, 08:39 PM   #15
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm running snows. There is absolutely no way I could have even left work that day on all seasons with RWD.

Do you have any experience with the A4s AWD system. If you do, how does your 335xi compare? I keep on hearing people saying how much better Audi's system is just because they've been doing it for so long and all that, but I am doubtful. Just because someone's been doing something for a long time doesn't mean that someone else can't do it better...

Also, how does the 335xi compare to 335i on dry roads in terms of feel?
I have limited experience with Audi's AWD, so I can't really say how it compares.

I agree that because someone has been doing it longer doesn't necessarily mean they do it better. Maybe Audi's had more of an advantage with BMW's older Xi system, however, that's just my guess. I do know that the current Xi is remarkable, imo.

I have driven both the 335i and Xi, but never back to back and limted use with each. If memory serves me well, I didn't think that I was in an awd car when driving on dry roads with the Xi.

If I had to consider owning just one car, maybe I'd go with the 335i, but I don't know. I just came back from a quick drive in this storm. (Just wanted to go out in it.) I was one of the few on the road and had a ball. It is rare that I would look forward to going out in the winter. It's kind of like having a 300 horse, street legal snowmobile. I'm still breaking it in, so I won't go above 4500 rpms, but with this torque, you don't have to, to go fast.

I also plan on doing the Dinan ECU flash, a lowering kit (BMW's, hopefully, with a modest drop), etc.. I can't imagine trying to get a decent start with the added HP, in the snow without awd.

Right now I'm running 225/40's on 18" wheels. I didn't realize that they were 8.5 inch rims, so I am swapping them for a set of M6 reps, with an 8" width. I think that the extra .5 is too wide. Even with this set up, the car hooks up unbelieveably and tracks excellent. Anyway, sorry to steal this thread.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2007, 08:43 PM   #16
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Next time I see a weather forecast like that one, I will sleep on the couch in my office. I moved to the East coast from CA 2 years ago, so this is all new to me.
Sorry to hear that. I hope the job was worth it and that you're enjoying it.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2007, 09:17 PM   #17
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Heh, heh - I remember moving from Oz (Australia) to Winterpeg (Winnipeg) and after the first ice / snow had fallen. then a brief warm-up then cold snap (= black ice) I came to an intersection, hit the brakes and promptly 'sailed' majestically through - luckily no-one was coming through ...

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2007, 09:46 PM   #18
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It is rare that I would look forward to going out in the winter. It's kind of like having a 300 horse, street legal snowmobile.
With the arrival of your M3, it sounds like you will have 2 mighty toys for the 4 seasons.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2007, 09:48 PM   #19
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sorry to hear that. I hope the job was worth it and that you're enjoying it.
There are many things I am getting used to and enjoying in NE, but the weather will never be one of them.

I bet the OP, Ultimate, would agree...
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2007, 06:41 AM   #20
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
There are many things I am getting used to and enjoying in NE, but the weather will never be one of them.

I bet the OP, Ultimate, would agree...
Full heartedly!

I'm going to miss some of the mountain roads I've found in the summer when I go back down south.