BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

03-25-2016, 11:17 PM   #23
nholmes
Track Whore
United_States
Rep
Drives: women wild

I got it for the weight savings, you know, because racecar.

The sound was a lower priority.
Appreciate 2
      03-25-2016, 11:17 PM   #24
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Because you can by a Rolex with the proceeds
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2016, 12:01 AM   #25
OneSickM
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

AKRA is not worth its price...period
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2016, 12:27 AM   #26
///M Kidding
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT

Is this thread from civic forum? Lol

akrapovic relatively quiet? Yes, compare to IPE, armytrix, gintani etc.
Sounds good or bad? Totally personal preference.
Price? It's not cheap, but you get what you paid for.
Quality? Probably the best you can get for your M.
      03-26-2016, 09:02 AM   #27
FFM
PLEB R8
Rep
Drives: B9 SQ5 | R8 V8 6MT

^^^Off topic, do you have the exotics tuning "Programe-9XM Front Aero Cooling Spoiler" by chance? It's an amazing piece but you rarely see pics of it. I bumped one of their old threads and got nothing back
      03-26-2016, 10:32 AM   #28
///M Kidding
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFM
^^^Off topic, do you have the exotics tuning "Programe-9XM Front Aero Cooling Spoiler" by chance? It's an amazing piece but you rarely see pics of it. I bumped one of their old threads and got nothing back
Unfortunately I don't, I don't think they made a lot of them..
      03-26-2016, 11:52 PM   #29
redpriest
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/Porsche 992 GT3RS

Garage List
Akra Evolution passes sound at Laguna Seca, so that's nice.
instagram.com/titomanlio
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2016, 12:31 AM   #30
nholmes
Track Whore
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpriest View Post
Akra Evolution passes sound at Laguna Seca, so that's nice.
BONUS!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 01:52 PM   #31
ERinEC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 AW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujan View Post
I am currently running Akra rear paired with an MRF x-pipe and it sounds absolutely fantastic. I would put this setup against anyone else's. Believe it or not it actually has slightly less noise in the cabin at low revs, but sounds brassy and ballsy as hell when you get on it. And the overrun on this setup is bananas. I love it.
Can you compare this setup in terms of drone and overall sound with others you may have had? Is the MRF catless?

I have the Akra slip on with Challenge sport (HFC) xpipe. Very little if any drone, but the sounds is more high pitched than I would like. Before the Akra I had Eisenmenn sport with same xpipe. It sounded great but the drone sucked. Very boomy in cabin around 2500 RPM.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 05:23 PM   #32
nholmes
Track Whore
United_States
Rep

No drone or boom in my setup?

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...1&postcount=15
Appreciate 1
tigermack474.50
      03-31-2016, 07:27 PM   #33
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERinEC View Post
Can you compare this setup in terms of drone and overall sound with others you may have had? Is the MRF catless?

I have the Akra slip on with Challenge sport (HFC) xpipe. Very little if any drone, but the sounds is more high pitched than I would like. Before the Akra I had Eisenmenn sport with same xpipe. It sounded great but the drone sucked. Very boomy in cabin around 2500 RPM.
I have had the following:
  • Test pipes w/ OEM rear
  • Test pipes with Corsa rear
  • Test pipes with Akra rear
  • Akra Evo
  • MRF midpipe w/ Akra rear

Test pipes with OEM rear was the quietest, both inside and outside the car. It got a little raspy outside the car when I got on it. Otherwise, it was not bad.

Test pipes with Corsa rear sounded very mellow in the cabin, but boy it was pretty aggressive outside the car. It sounded awesome, but stood to draw more attention than I was looking to attract.

Test pipes w/ Akra rear and Akra Evo are basically the same. Very mellow in the cabin, a little boomy down low, not a ton of excitement outside the car, but very refined and exotic (in my opinion).

The MRF midpipe with the Akra rear is a bit of cross between the Akra Evo and the Corsa with test pipes. Surprisingly, it is less boomy inside the cabin than the Evo (even noted by my wife who had no idea what I changed), but offers a lot more drama outside the car than the Evo, though it doesn't seem to be quite as aggressive as the Corsa. I can say that I get a LOT of compliments with this setup. And the overrun—when you get on the gas then let off and coast—sounds so amazing.

Yes, the MRF pipe is catless. That helps quite a bit, but I think a lot of the magic is in the X-merge, which is pushed further forward toward the headers. Also, the shape of the merge is much more progressive than most X-pipes in the sense that the angles are less obtuse, which I think presents less of a restriction. There are probably other aspects too (diameter of the tubing, etc.) that I think account for its different acoustic and power properties. But I can't imagine anything sounding better than this combo.
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2016, 12:40 PM   #34
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Per some other threads, I think it's because the sound is too boomy down low. It gets old really fast when you're just driving around town.

Also, lots of people buy exhausts based on YouTube videos which is not the best idea. I always advocate that people go visit a local BMW meet and hear it in person.
      04-01-2016, 03:19 PM   #35
nholmes
Track Whore
United_States
Rep

^

This.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 03:25 PM   #36
vastano
Captain
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

I had the OEM mod, then went to full Akra, then back to the OEM mod due to needing emergency funds.

Neither of these exhausts drone IMO. However the Akra is quieter than the OEM mod. After I reinstalled the OEM mod, I remembered how great the S65 sounded, which is why I still have it on my car.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 03:52 PM   #37
KRZ3
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Per some other threads, I think it's because the sound is too boomy down low. It gets old really fast when you're just driving around town.

Also, lots of people buy exhausts based on YouTube videos which is not the best idea. I always advocate that people go visit a local BMW meet and hear it in person.
+1
      04-01-2016, 03:54 PM   #38
ERinEC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 AW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujan View Post
I have had the following:
  • Test pipes w/ OEM rear
  • Test pipes with Corsa rear
  • Test pipes with Akra rear
  • Akra Evo
  • MRF midpipe w/ Akra rear

Test pipes with OEM rear was the quietest, both inside and outside the car. It got a little raspy outside the car when I got on it. Otherwise, it was not bad.

Test pipes with Corsa rear sounded very mellow in the cabin, but boy it was pretty aggressive outside the car. It sounded awesome, but stood to draw more attention than I was looking to attract.

Test pipes w/ Akra rear and Akra Evo are basically the same. Very mellow in the cabin, a little boomy down low, not a ton of excitement outside the car, but very refined and exotic (in my opinion).

The MRF midpipe with the Akra rear is a bit of cross between the Akra Evo and the Corsa with test pipes. Surprisingly, it is less boomy inside the cabin than the Evo (even noted by my wife who had no idea what I changed), but offers a lot more drama outside the car than the Evo, though it doesn't seem to be quite as aggressive as the Corsa. I can say that I get a LOT of compliments with this setup. And the overrun—when you get on the gas then let off and coast—sounds so amazing.

Yes, the MRF pipe is catless. That helps quite a bit, but I think a lot of the magic is in the X-merge, which is pushed further forward toward the headers. Also, the shape of the merge is much more progressive than most X-pipes in the sense that the angles are less obtuse, which I think presents less of a restriction. There are probably other aspects too (diameter of the tubing, etc.) that I think account for its different acoustic and power properties. But I can't imagine anything sounding better than this combo.
Thanks for all your input. Strongly considering the MRF to replace the Challenge Sport.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 09:32 PM   #39
burnrbr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Comp DCT

As the used price point comes down, all of the mid pipe offerings will also be too expensive. Cut the cats off and weld in some straight pipes; call it done. The Akropovic Evo exhaust is 50 lbs lighter than stock. People don't buy it for sound. It came with my pre-owned M3. I wouldn't buy it for 6k, but I understand why the previous guy did.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 06:56 PM   #40
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

I tried different exhausts before I ended up going with Akra for my E92, never looked back. Liked the quality and sound so much ended up getting the Akra for my 15' M4.

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 07:22 PM   #41
Installsplus
Ultimate Driving Machine E92ESS625 M3/G05 X5 Msport 40i Individual
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 DCT/ESS 625 kit

Garage List
By far one of the best exhaust I've heard especially with a cat delete. Sounds perfect. I had a m performance exhaust and was worried about 1st generation cracks due to cat delete. Such a great Design hidden cans and quality material with zero drone.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 07:35 PM   #42
marksae
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M

I got the slip on mainly for looks and a little sound. It suited my requirements pretty well. I'm not a fan of loud exhausts. The sound is a bit boomy in the lower RPMs. There's a resonance right around 2000 rpm that can be pretty annoying when city driving. But there's hardly any drone for highway driving. I can see why some people complain about not being able to hear the exhaust in the upper RPMs. There's not much sound difference from stock when redlining the engine. That doesn't really matter to me.

IMO, it's the best looking exhaust on the market. Mine has the carbon exhaust tips. The thing is a mechanical work of art.

IG: @gearheadtwins
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 07:56 PM   #43
Olagüe
Brigadier General
Spain
Rep
Drives: 333i e92

I don't now... but for me is the best exhaust in the world.

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 11:56 AM   #44
Godchild14
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpriest View Post
Seriously? It sounds amazing to me. I guess we all have different tastes.
it might be amazing i'll give you that, but almost anything else sounds better than the akra. i don't think many will argue that point. for example:

muffler only:

eisenman race/sport vs. akra= eisenmann

oem exhaust mod vs. akra= oem exhaust mod

aa vs. akra= aa

gintani race/sport vs. akra= gintani

full setup:

everything sounds better than akra
I think beside Akrapovic the The Challenge X-Pipe With Eisenmann Race Exhaust is the best sound ever