BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

02-20-2010, 07:53 PM   #45
Small Yellow
Track Addict
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M3 E92 | 2008 Z4M E86

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVF4Rrider View Post
Audi states the RS4 delivers 413 bhp. In reality, whp is 328. You have to be careful what to believe when it comes to Audi. Claimed torque is 328 when in fact wheel torque is 270.

My guess is the RS5 will be another close rival that doesn't knock off the leader. In terms of market position, Audi will never take the top spot. Their name holds them back today and will continue to do so in the future.
Well crank and wheel hp are always far off. It is how far off that makes the difference. If I remember correctly the e92 M3's WHP is about 326 or something.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 07:56 PM   #46
330CIZHP
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 330 CI ZHP

Mostly M3 dyno between 350 - 375 wheel HP bone stock. Ofcourse, the variation is because of the types of dynos, altitude, temperatures etc. Audi has AWD and hence a higher drivetrain loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuangYiChao View Post
Well crank and wheel hp are always far off. It is how far off that makes the difference. If I remember correctly the e92 M3's WHP is about 326 or something.

- Lamborghini on turbocharging
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 10:13 PM   #47
SleepyE90
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bavarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosthi32 View Post
+100000000
      02-20-2010, 10:18 PM   #48
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuangYiChao View Post
It's not just crank vs. wheel power. It's marketing too. Audi is usually very good about the claimed power of their turbo cars vs. wheel power. They are usually dead on. Not so with non-turbos. Forget trying to track drivetrain loss. It's about their marketing numbers vs. reality.

Whp for the M3 @ 326? It's actually 373, which is -10% from what BMW claims. The RS4's difference between stated and measured power is -20.5%. As comparison to show how inconsistent Audi is, their TT 2.0TFSI's power difference between stated and measured is -1.5%. Hardly a drivetrain loss. Again, it's marketing and the fact they know people will take them at their word. Big mistake.

Believe marketing numbers all you want. The smart person verifies them before trying to draw conclusions.
      02-20-2010, 11:00 PM   #49
mach330
You don't know JACK!!!
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 35i

seats are amazing!!!

02-20-2010, 11:53 PM   #50
Bluechipper
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 M3 Vert

I will take this anyday over my M3.

Looks AMAZING!

Sounds amazing too, according to the ring videos. High revving Audi, nice.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 11:59 PM   #51
dimabimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT

.....those seats look stupid.

M3 seats are much better.
      02-21-2010, 12:10 AM   #52
330CIZHP
Major
Canada
Rep

Just listen to this beast. Such a beautiful sounding screaming motor almost like a racing bike.

I am glad to see that high-revving engines are still very much alive in non-exotic relatively cheaper cars:

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2010, 12:11 AM   #53
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

shame it won't be in the US bc i would gladly give Audi my business in the future for that since BMW is gonna be putting a turbo in the new M3 and i will not be buying another BMW then bc i only want a NA engine

looks like i will have to save up for the R8

Quote:
Originally Posted by major_kusanagi View Post
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2010, 12:14 AM   #54
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

oh man that sounds so good. i think BMW is gonna lose alot of M3 owners when it goes to the turbos for there M cars. i know they prob don't care and compared to there reg sales the M sales are prob very small % but it seemed like in the past they used to care. sucks but if they don't make another NA engine for an M car it will be the last BMW i ever buy

i know it sounds crazy but i want that RS5 more then the R8 now. prob bc i we can't get it and you always want what you can't have lol. i hope a few make it to the US

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330CIZHP View Post
Just listen to this beast. Such a beautiful sounding screaming motor almost like a racing bike.

I am glad to see that high-revving engines are still very much alive in non-exotic relatively cheaper cars:

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2010, 12:15 AM   #55
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT 353k+ miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Bomb View Post
oh man that sounds so good. i think BMW is gonna lose alot of M3 owners when it goes to the turbos for there M cars. i know they prob don't care and compared to there reg sales the M sales are prob very small % but it seemed like in the past they used to care. sucks but if they don't make another NA engine for an M car it will be the last BMW i ever buy

i know it sounds crazy but i want that RS5 more then the R8 now. prob bc i we can't get it and you always want what you can't have lol. i hope a few make it to the US
Well, hopefully the R8 will get that engine update.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2010, 12:16 AM   #56
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

are you joking?? not only are the seats nicer but the whole interior on that is nicer then the M3. Audi has BMW beat on the interior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimabimmer View Post
.....those seats look stupid.

M3 seats are much better.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2010, 12:19 AM   #57
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

you mean with the 450hp vs the 420 it has now?? isn't the R8 faster anyway at 420hp bc it is lighter?? i didn't see any specs other then hp for the RS5 like 0-60 or 1/4 mile did you??

i mean i would love to get the R8 V10 don't get me wrong but it is out of my price league for sure and the R8 V8 would be pushin it and that would be a used one when the time came. i read in numerous articles that stock the V8 sounds alot better then the V10 R8, but i am sure with a nice muffler that V10 whales

Quote:
Originally Posted by smmmurf View Post
Well, hopefully the R8 will get that engine update.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2010, 12:24 AM   #58
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

great post. no matter what the numbers actually turn out to be, fact is that the new M3 will have turbos and hence have lost all respect for the M brand and what they stood for all these years making majical engines with a hp per liter on par with cars of the likes of porsche and ferrari

even if it turned out to be that the E92 beat this new RS5 coming out which i doubt when i went to get a new car i would still get the Audi bc it will have the NA engine and i think they do a fantastic job with the interior of the car, much nicer then my E92 M now

now that respect went to audi as sad as it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330CIZHP View Post
Ofcourse, it would have a higher drivetrain loss because it is AWD (20 - 25%), which is why the RS4 dyno'ed at 328 wheel HP. Regarding the RS5, we don't even know the actual output yet, but I can bet it is in the neighborhood of 470 - 480 HP. Nothing less.

Ofcourse, when the RS4 came out, it toppled the E46 M3 even with the ZCP. I am sure Audi would not have brought out the RS4, if it could not comprehensively outperform the E46 on every level. It was not until the E9X M3 came out that the RS4 got outperformed by an M car comprehensively. Now it is Audis turn to bring out a better car.

Seriously let look at it realistically, do you think Audi would bring out a brand new performance car that cannot even outperform a 4 year old platform (E9X M3)?? No way! I am sure this car outperforms the E9X M3 especially with the added horsepower it will be faster on the straights well. If the E9X M3 had got a bump in horsepower with the competition package, I could see it being a very close match up. With 414 HP, M3 has no chance.

Biggest thing is that Audi retained the soul of the RS by putting a race inspired high-revving engine with 8500 rpm, which made me gain a whole new level of respect for Audi, which I have lost for the M division for cheaping out and lowering production costs by slapping a turbo on.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2010, 12:33 AM   #59
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

is there anyone that one could write or call to asking and showing interest in the RS5 coming to the states?? i know it sounds dumb but if they got enough calls or emails about it and serious buyers not just throttle jockeys actual people willing to put a deposit down at the dealer you think it would effect there decision??

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Wrong on the handling, it will actually amaze you how well it handles and sadly you are right, chances are this car won't make it into the US, though I do hope Audi change their mind because you guys deserve the chances to consider it.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2010, 01:34 AM   #60
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
is there anyone that one could write or call to asking and showing interest in the RS5 coming to the states?? i know it sounds dumb but if they got enough calls or emails about it and serious buyers not just throttle jockeys actual people willing to put a deposit down at the dealer you think it would effect there decision??
Well such an action did sort of happen with the M3, you guys wanted the M3 GTS and BMW provided everything bar the engine. Whether such an action will convince Audi to bring the RS5 I honestly don't know but it's surely worth a try.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2010, 01:36 AM   #61
330CIZHP
Major
Canada
Rep

Thanks. It indeed is shaping up to be an amazing car with all the right ingredients for an E9X M3 beater while BMW is busy finding ways to lower their production costs by making cookie-cutter turbo engines, increase profits by making family-friendly M SUVs (when was the last time you saw a racing car that was an SUV?) and becoming a green automobile maker. The racing bike like sound of that V8 gives me goosebumps.

No wonder, like I said before, the chances of it turning out to be an inferior performing car over the E9X are almost nil. I just don't believe Audi would bring it out if it could not outperform the E9X M3.

Again, if BMW had increased the much needed horsepower with the competition package, I would have seen it as a tie.

Quote:
great post. no matter what the numbers actually turn out to be, fact is that the new M3 will have turbos and hence have lost all respect for the M brand and what they stood for all these years making majical engines with a hp per liter on par with cars of the likes of porsche and ferrari

even if it turned out to be that the E92 beat this new RS5 coming out which i doubt when i went to get a new car i would still get the Audi bc it will have the NA engine and i think they do a fantastic job with the interior of the car, much nicer then my E92 M now

now that respect went to audi as sad as it is

Last edited by 330CIZHP; 02-21-2010 at 01:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2010, 02:30 AM   #62
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVF4Rrider View Post
Audi states the RS4 delivers 413 bhp. In reality, whp is 328. You have to be careful what to believe when it comes to Audi. Claimed torque is 328 when in fact wheel torque is 270.

My guess is the RS5 will be another close rival that doesn't knock off the leader. In terms of market position, Audi will never take the top spot. Their name holds them back today and will continue to do so in the future.
Some of you believe exclusively in dyno figures but the one figure you should be looking more close at is the power to weight. The simple fact is that the RS4 posts near enough identical times and speeds in the 1/4mile discipline, the only reason it's slightly below the M3 figures is it's slightly worse ptw and nothing else. Now if the dyno results for it's awd systemwere indeed correct then those figures wouldn't be even close to that of the M3 but this isn't the case.

The RS5 will be quicker than the M3 in acceleration, of this I am certain.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2010, 02:33 AM   #63
MI6
The World is Not Enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Aston DBS-R

YES..............

The RS5 is coming- repeat is coming to the U.S.

Fourtitude and other sites have already confirmed this.......

Just be prepared to pony up about 80k for one and that's w/o the dealer mark up.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2010, 02:48 AM   #64
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Some of you believe exclusively in dyno figures but the one figure you should be looking more close at is the power to weight. The simple fact is that the RS4 posts near enough identical times and speeds in the 1/4mile discipline, the only reason it's slightly below the M3 figures is it's slightly worse ptw and nothing else. Now if the dyno results for it's awd systemwere indeed correct then those figures wouldn't be even close to that of the M3 but this isn't the case.

The RS5 will be quicker than the M3 in acceleration, of this I am certain.

I don't believe in dyno figures as a means to any logical conclusion. My point was just to show how inconsistent Audi is when it comes to their marketing of power figures. It was purely cautionary so as to not get wrapped up in their claims. The only way to be certain the RS5 is quicker than the M3 is to have a chart of wheel torque by rpm from a reputable 3rd party such as RRI and factoring in gearing to determine force and then factor in mass. Without that you can't determine anything.

I'm not saying you're incorrect in your assumption but all remains to be seen. And hopefully you won't rely on Audi's stated acceleration figures as fact, whenever they are available.

All manufacturers tend to manipulate reality. After all, they are trying to best the competition mainly in the sales department.

Ultimately the name of the game is to produce performance with as much economy as possible. Anyone can best acceleration figures of an existing model, if they're willing to pay the price at the pumps. Personally I think the current M3's performance is not so impressive when you factor in economy. With as much gas as it drinks, I'd expect it to be quicker.
      02-21-2010, 02:56 AM   #65
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

It's great to see Audi step up the game against the M3. More competition means better products, more innovation, and hopefully lower price for the consumers. So in this sense I welcome Audi's challenge (except for the lame ads).
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2010, 03:24 AM   #66
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

SUV on the track? Porsche Cayenne Turbo S.
Audi S/RS High-Reving NA? Only R8 and RS5. S3, S4,TT-S, TT-RS, RS6 are all FI. Audi will also step over to FI. The next RS6, R8 and Gallardo will get a 4.0l Biturbo V8. The next RS4 will get a 3.0l Biturbo V6. If there comes an RS3 it will get the 2.5l Turbo I5, the one of the TT-RS.
RS5 Racing-Inspired Sportcar? Where is RWD?
The only Audi worthy of RS is the R8 10 FSI, and yet only until BMW hasn't came out with its own Supercar. I wonder if we will see more RS5 or M3 on the track. Audi S/RS are a poser cars. It is for those that have no identity, for who need to feed their ego.

Last edited by BMW269; 02-21-2010 at 03:30 AM..
Appreciate 0