BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

BPM

08-29-2009, 08:31 PM   #67
330CIZHP
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 330 CI ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by graider View Post
I like the m3 exaust note better. no v6/i6 can beat the sound of a high rev v8. the high rev v8 will have a combination of low rev rumble and scream at the same time. But the v6/i6 just simply scream, no rumble.

like this

or this. You don't even need to rev to redline to hear that glorious exaust note.

Jeeezz....That Gintani exhaust is insane. I am not sure why BMW made the new M3 so quiet stock? Exhaust is too subtle and quiet, but with a good full aftermarket exhaust, it really comes to life. Nothing in its class compares to the sound.

I completely agree with your post. I think pretty much all the best sounding cars have high-revving V8/V10/V12s. The sound is just unbeatable. Muscular low end rumble combined with high-revving scream.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 12:52 AM   #68
TOOMANYCARS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Two ill-informed and inexperience (driving wise) comments. To honest think the Cayman isn't a proper Porsche , clearly neither of you have ever heard of Walter Rohrl.

If you had you wouldn't be making these comments.
Inexperience? Wow, coming from someone that drives a diesel across the pond really means something. I don't need to hear or learn about so & so before sharing my experience/opinion, this is an online forum. Jeremy Clarkson said cocks drive Audi's, I think I have to write to BBC and inform him that cocks drive Jaguar's also.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 12:55 AM   #69
TOOMANYCARS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbo73 View Post
So for you it's about image/prestige more than driving talent, eh? BTW, the M3 and EVO are a lot easier to drive fast than any Cayman or 911.
No no, what I meant was to experience what Porsche is famous for, you've gotta get yourself a 911. Mid-engined cars are very balanced in various situations, but the prime candidate in that setup would be the Exiege S, just my 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 01:04 AM   #70
TOOMANYCARS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolidated View Post
You Men of Style sound like posers.
Nice color for the roll cage, very "unique".
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 04:06 AM   #71
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOMANYCARS View Post
Inexperience? Wow, coming from someone that drives a diesel across the pond really means something. I don't need to hear or learn about so & so before sharing my experience/opinion, this is an online forum. Jeremy Clarkson said cocks drive Audi's, I think I have to write to BBC and inform him that cocks drive Jaguar's also.
Calling someone a COCK will not see you pass post 50 if your not careful.

You will find that I ran an M3 for a year, only getting rid a few weeks ago, I have also owned a number of Porsches, sporty Audis, Lotus, I use to rally and cut my teeth in Karting.

My experience isn't in question but yours really and truly is, and the reason for that is your inability to knowledge that the Cayman isn't a proper Porsche because even their chief tester and the man who signs off their products rates it Porsche's best drivers car.

I'm not going to lower myself by calling you the very thing you called me but you are making yourself look extremely stupid by your comments.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 07:32 AM   #72
urbo73
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
No no, what I meant was to experience what Porsche is famous for, you've gotta get yourself a 911. Mid-engined cars are very balanced in various situations, but the prime candidate in that setup would be the Exiege S, just my 2 cents.
I don't know what you meant, but this is what you said:

Quote:
I test drove the Cayman S when it was released few years ago, though it carried the Porsche badge, it didn't impress me. I had more fun driving my 05 EVO than driving it. Another statement I can't live with is that, if a 911 pulled up next to me, that driver must be thinking this poor Asian can't afford an 911, thus went for the lesser model. To me, driving a Porsche means something unique, so anything less than a GT3 won't do it for me. At the end, you are driving a Porsche, why settle for something that a grandma can handle?
It's fine if you had more fun with the EVO - to each his own. But you don't talk about "any" 911, only the GT3. Also you say that you'd have a hard time dealing with someone who saw you in a Cayman or non-GT3 thinking less of you because you have a "lesser" model. So I don't see where I misinterpreted anything. And the grandma comment? Again, the EVO and M3 are extremely easy to drive cars fast. The Cayman or 911 variants are not.

It's funny, I see a lot of comments about, "only the GT3 for me, or nothing". And to me, unless you've raced, or have a lot of on-track seat time, you'll never even use the GT3 like it was meant. So it becomes a fashion statement. I've seen plenty of nice GT3/GT3RS at PCA events driven so slow, the guys were well in over their heads.

Lotus is a fantastic car, but not a daily driver like a 911/Cayman can be.

Last edited by urbo73; 08-30-2009 at 10:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 10:53 AM   #73
TOOMANYCARS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Calling someone a COCK will not see you pass post 50 if your not careful.

You will find that I ran an M3 for a year, only getting rid a few weeks ago, I have also owned a number of Porsches, sporty Audis, Lotus, I use to rally and cut my teeth in Karting.

My experience isn't in question but yours really and truly is, and the reason for that is your inability to knowledge that the Cayman isn't a proper Porsche because even their chief tester and the man who signs off their products rates it Porsche's best drivers car.

I'm not going to lower myself by calling you the very thing you called me but you are making yourself look extremely stupid by your comments.
Tell me something, you don't even know me, and you were saying I'm inexperience, now I don't care what the moderator said, but to me, that's an insult. I didn't want to call anyone on this forum anything, but if somebody wanted to call me out, I will respond accordingly, so in this case, it was you whom lowered yourself before I did. I'm sure you have lots of experiences driving/racing various cars under your belt, so do I, although most of them on various drag strips, but next time please respect others before assuming anything because all they want is to share their own opinion.

Urbo73,
Yes, I did say that. But because of my background, owning/racing few sub 10 seconds street/strip cars, and now the EVO has become a dedicated road race car, regular 911s won't do it for me, and in my case, the GT3 or the Turbo couple are my only choices from Porsche. To lots of people out there, regular 911s are fine, maybe even the Cayman S, but I guess I'm the abnormal one on this forum, but I don't think I need to get to that now, do I?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 12:25 PM   #74
urbo73
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Urbo73,
Yes, I did say that. But because of my background, owning/racing few sub 10 seconds street/strip cars, and now the EVO has become a dedicated road race car, regular 911s won't do it for me, and in my case, the GT3 or the Turbo couple are my only choices from Porsche. To lots of people out there, regular 911s are fine, maybe even the Cayman S, but I guess I'm the abnormal one on this forum, but I don't think I need to get to that now, do I?
No, nothing abnormal about preferring one car over another, or simply not liking a car. As I said, to each his own. But what I was responding to, was this:

Quote:
Another statement I can't live with is that, if a 911 pulled up next to me, that driver must be thinking this poor Asian can't afford an 911, thus went for the lesser model.
So why would you care what another 911 driver thought of your car? Who cares what people think? Also why the "grandma statement"? Why the need to put a car down in order to justify your preference? Some love the EVO, some love the Cayman, some the M3, others a Fiat Punto, etc. Who cares? But if you're going to join a discussion r.e. the merits of one car vs. another, then please put something more meaningful in there. That's all.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 12:48 PM   #75
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOMANYCARS
Tell me something, you don't even know me, and you were saying I'm inexperience, now I don't care what the moderator said, but to me, that's an insult. I didn't want to call anyone on this forum anything, but if somebody wanted to call me out, I will respond accordingly, so in this case, it was you whom lowered yourself before I did. I'm sure you have lots of experiences driving/racing various cars under your belt, so do I, although most of them on various drag strips, but next time please respect others before assuming anything because all they want is to share their own opinion.
And insult calling you inexperienced?

Sorry mate but based on your comments that is the impression you are giving people and according to the other posts directed at your comments then everyone is in agreement with me. Also though I doubt Walter posts here I bet he would have a good laugh at your expense.

P.S.
I have nothing against drag racing but to use that as a defence for your knowledge on what makes a great drivers car? It may be great for knowing what makes a great car for acceleration but only proper track experience gives true understanding as to what makes cars like the Cayman so special. And with the among of group test wins under it's belt it appears that every roadtester in the world is in agreement.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 02:50 PM   #76
urbo73
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Sorry mate but based on your comments that is the impression you are giving people and according to the other posts directed at your comments then everyone is in agreement with me. Also though I doubt Walter posts here I bet he would have a good laugh at your expense.

P.S.
I have nothing against drag racing but to use that as a defence for your knowledge on what makes a great drivers car? It may be great for knowing what makes a great car for acceleration but only proper track experience gives true understanding as to what makes cars like the Cayman so special. And with the among of group test wins under it's belt it appears that every roadtester in the world is in agreement.
I doubt Walter even knows how to use the Internet He's fantastic, but I'd put my money on Pat Long if you want the fastest laps in any Porsche around. IMO, he's the best racing driver out there for Porsche.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 03:33 PM   #77
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I doubt Walter even knows how to use the Internet He's fantastic, but I'd put my money on Pat Long if you want the fastest laps in any Porsche around. IMO, he's the best racing driver out there for Porsche.
The difference between Walter and Pat is that Pat is one of their racing drivers, where as Walter is the man who signs off on all their road cars and when he makes a statement like the Cayman being better than all 911s when all things are equal then that comment made here by you know who was oh so stupid and made him look so shallow.

P.S.

Yeah, Pat Long is very good, for an American - only joking . But for me one of Porsche's greatest drivers was Jackie Ickx but if we were to open this debate up and include all drivers throughout the years and not only ones who happen to have driven for Porsche then my vote would go to either Graham Hill or Jim Clark.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 03:45 PM   #78
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shift@red View Post
I wouldnt say that an m3 or evo are easier to drive fast than a Cayman S. Cayman S is a more balanced car and much more communicative in every aspect...not to mention that you feel its a much lighter car and IMO is a much easier car to drive fast.
It was just named the best drivers car by MT over the r8. and as much as mags suck, they did hit the nail on the head.
911s are harder to drive fast than an m3 or evo, but if you get good, you will spank those cars anywhere, anytime. GT3s are so superb in every imaginable way, its magical. The new 997.2 gt3 and gt3rs are just that much better too!
I would agree with you on the Cayman being easier than the M3, but the EVO is child's play in comparison to either of them. Tried rallying one and you will know how easy it is to bring back from the most impossible of angles, something which couldn't be done with either the M3 or Cayman and this is solely down to the fact that it's all wheel drive.

When comparing the Cayman to the 911 it's easy to understand why the Cayman is the better driver's car. The 911 is totally unbalanced in comparison, yes it can be driven very quickly but it's not the kind of car you man-handle through a corner, preferring to enter slow and exit quick, much like an Audi quattro car but for different reasons.

If you are the type of people that relish a challenge then there is no doubt the 911 will give you the greater thrill taming the beast than the Cayman ever could but as a better handling car the 911 comes second best to the Cayman, as does quite a lot of cars including the M3.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 04:02 PM   #79
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Nice color for the roll cage, very "unique".
Quote:
Another statement I can't live with is that, if a 911 pulled up next to me, that driver must be thinking this poor Asian can't afford an 911, thus went for the lesser model. T)
Thanks Style Man. I hope you get that stoplight respect wherever you go my friend. What would life be without the admiration of anonymous drivers everywhere?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 04:35 PM   #80
griff
Rep
Drives: bmw m3 dct

m3 vs

Thanks, for the tips on braking and driving techniques!

Great site this only ruined by the armchair magazine reading brigade who base their opinions on opinions like jeremy clarkson who hates porsches by the way.

Or people who class themselves as acomplished drivers who have no experience in proper driving or competition driving.

Like people have said everyone is entitled to an opinion and thats fair enough.

I never said the cayman i had was a bad car,quite the opposite as i enjoyed all the 20000 miles in her!
I have also driven the cayman s 2009 spec and agree it is an improvement
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 04:55 PM   #81
griff
Rep

As for brakes on the m3 they are sh_t in comparison to its competition,and fair play to porsche and audi for getting it right.
the porsche cayman and gt3 both weigh about 1340kg and come equipped with 4 pot and 6 pot brakes as standard and these ar good enough for road and track use.
The audi rs4 gets 8 pot calipers and weigh in at around 1620kg so once again do the job on road and track.
On u tube under autocar m3 vs gt3 vs gtr chris harris uses his own m3 on the test and does an outlap to warm up and a timed lap and at then end of the timed lap the m3 s brakes had completely gone.chris harris is not the greatest driver of all time but an extremely competent tester on road and track.
For a car that weighs approx 1550kg and has a 414 bhp v8 under the bonnet but only gets the abismal excuse for breaks tha are on the m3 it is a p_ss take.
That said i love the new m3.
My discs were warped and have now been skimmed.They are soon to be upgraded to 380mm discs and the audi 8 pot calipers.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 05:01 PM   #82
griff
Rep

All thes type of cars are apparently tested at the ring,and are sold in the knowledge that most owners even if just once will take them on track.
So the cars should be able to be driven in anger and take it.

A friend of mine is a service manager for porsche and has owned and driven and raced every type or porsche,but his favourite drivers car was the csl!
Ya pays your money and takes your choice.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 05:06 PM   #83
TOOMANYCARS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

P.S.
Maybe your culture is very different than mine, but for me, whatever I read or heard, I tend to keep my reactions to myself, or share it with my wife, but never say anything positive or negative about them, on the other hand, I don't make my decisions based on anyone's thoughts but my own. I'm not trying to rally people to my course, just wanted to express my opinions, that's all, because I never take these kind of websites too seriously. If people agree with you, good for you, great accomplishment, but I like to get that rewarding feeling in real life, in what I do for a living. I'm sorry if I didn't express myself clear enough, I wasn't using drag racing to defend myself when it comes to determine if a car were drivers' car, it's just one of the things I do and happen to be good at it because I have great mentors, great partners, great crew. Bottom line is, I test drove Cayman S back in 05 when it was released, didn't like it, test drove my friend's father's Cayman S for an hour on twisties and highway, still didn't like it, posted my thoughts about it here, end of story.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 05:14 PM   #84
TOOMANYCARS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
No, nothing abnormal about preferring one car over another, or simply not liking a car. As I said, to each his own. But what I was responding to, was this:

So why would you care what another 911 driver thought of your car? Who cares what people think? Also why the "grandma statement"? Why the need to put a car down in order to justify your preference? Some love the EVO, some love the Cayman, some the M3, others a Fiat Punto, etc. Who cares? But if you're going to join a discussion r.e. the merits of one car vs. another, then please put something more meaningful in there. That's all.
I should've been more detailed when I'm sharing my opinions, but when I test drove the Cayman S back in 05, nothing remarkable was note worthy, so I couldn't give you a detailed version. Later I drove my friend's father's Cayman S for an hour through twisties and highways, but nothing remarkable neither, so couldn't put my experience in details neither. What's wrong with my grandma statement? I saw grandma's and grandpa's driving Porsche's all the time in my area, not putting it/them down, just stating the fact. Maybe I should have said, I don't want to drive the same 997 variant as someone's grandma or grandpa in my area, but something more Porsche.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 05:21 PM   #85
TOOMANYCARS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBlue371 View Post
Must be so hard not being satisfied by anything but a turbo or GT3, and only being able to afford the M3 at half the price.
Sure, the M3 is the only thing I'm able to afford, I guess my other cars are models of fantasy land. I wouldn't use my screen name if I don't have more than 5 fully registered & insured cars now, would I?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 06:01 PM   #86
TOOMANYCARS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Why don't you take a road trip up to NYC and see how full of it you are? My lack of knowledge, lolz!!! Boy, I bet you'd never really been around cars and being an internet muscle is probably your greatest accomplishment to date.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 08:09 PM   #87
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

Quote:
I don't know what you meant, but this is what you said:

It's fine if you had more fun with the EVO - to each his own. But you don't talk about "any" 911, only the GT3. Also you say that you'd have a hard time dealing with someone who saw you in a Cayman or non-GT3 thinking less of you because you have a "lesser" model. So I don't see where I misinterpreted anything. And the grandma comment? Again, the EVO and M3 are extremely easy to drive cars fast. The Cayman or 911 variants are not.

It's funny, I see a lot of comments about, "only the GT3 for me, or nothing". And to me, unless you've raced, or have a lot of on-track seat time, you'll never even use the GT3 like it was meant. So it becomes a fashion statement. I've seen plenty of nice GT3/GT3RS at PCA events driven so slow, the guys were well in over their heads.

Lotus is a fantastic car, but not a daily driver like a 911/Cayman can be.
what TOOMANYCARS said is very true. it is the fact and it is the way it is. it looks like you you think whoever buy the gt3 need to have the skill to back it up. if that is true, many cayman owners and m3 owners here are poser as well because I'm sure 95% of them can't handle these car at the limit (myself included, maybe you too). we all should be driving accord right now if you are right. Get the point?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 08:19 PM   #88
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift@red View Post
If you think a not GT3 911 isnt worth driving, why the hell are you driving an m3. dont you think m5 and m6 owners look at you as if you are driving a lesser m car?
You do realize that the 997.2 911 S (a non GT3 911 mind you) spanks the m3 in every catagory and on every track, right?
and what is your point? a cheap evo with mod can spank any 911 on the track too.

i don't realy care for the m5/m6. same reason why i don't care for the regular 911 or cayman s.

Just their look alone killed any intention to even test drive these car for me.
Appreciate 0