BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

10-22-2018, 05:03 PM   #23
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
Where are all the COTA videos?
Does this count?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 08:59 PM   #24
OG Shark
Rep

I'm not set up to catch video yet but here is footage from my buddy's data recorder on his Camaro ZL1 that was behind me for most of a session. Pretty cool that this is oem tech. Please keep in mind that we are both very new to this - please fire away with any and all criticism at me but please be kind to anybody else in the video

Here are the details:

Me
2009 M3 (Space Grey)
Mods - Vorshlag camber plates, PFC rotors & pads, Castrol SRF, GTS DCT tune, 18" Apex Arc 8's
Tires - 275/35/18 square Dunlop Direzza ZIII
Euro MDM on throughout session

My Buddy (for comparison purposes)
2017 ZL1 Camaro
Mods - stock
Tires - Michelin Sport Cup2's in stock sizes

When the video starts I am three cars ahead in the space grey M3. I start to be consistently in frame at 4:15. The conversation is between my buddy and his instructor. Long video so cliff notes are below.

Cliff Notes:
4:15 I start to be in the frame consistently (space grey M3)
6:48 Bit of a pucker moment. Guy in front of me had is rear break loose coming out of 20 but he made a very nice recovery (imo). You can see that the video car makes up a lot of ground from the time I exit the frame to when I'm back in it. I had tucked up close for the pass when it happened. Was very impressed with the guy getting it together as quickly as he did.
9:18 Target fixated on Corvette? Not sure what his instructor his trying to get at there...
11:00 What I consider my biggest bonehead move of the weekend. The GT350 in front of me gave me the point by coming out of 9 with 10 coming up quickly. Not a good place to pass - should have waited until after 10. I was hesitant but thought my instructor had said "Go" - he was saying "No"... 100% mental mistake on my part, lesson learned.
15:20 To clarify my instructor hadn't been talking shit about my buddy. I let my buddy know that he had jokingly referred to him as my nemesis in a couple of prior sessions because he felt like my buddy should have given us the point by much earlier than he did. Funny thing was he didn't know that he was my buddy until after the session from this video.
15:55 Ugh, got me. Oh well.

Please feel free to skewer me - I am welcome to any and all criticism. Obviously no data from my side but I'm sure there's plenty to pick on just from this video.

Couple take aways from this video & weekend:
-In this session think I was going too wide between 6&7 to try to straighten out 7 too much
-I suck at 19. I feel like I improved throughout the weekend on it but it was definitely my most uncomfortable corner getting the right braking and turn in
-My DCT was not happy with me towards the end of each session. Would start to get real laggy and sloppy somewhere around the last 1/3 of the sessions. On this particular one since we were running slower being wet it started a little later at around the 13:00 minute mark. Started shifting at around 7500 to keep from bouncing off the limiter. Have the do88 going in right now
-Lots of room to improve everywhere which is great because I'm going to come back as often as I can

I'm keeping the performance side of the car stock until I reach a point that I feel like my skills have surpassed it's capabilities (aside from the braking & gts dct tune). I am however upgrading the cooling already - I feel like with limited track time available I do not want to lose time or slow down due to heat if it can be prevented. I'm also going to try to have OMP seats, 6 pt harnesses, & half cage installed before my next full weekend event at MSR Cresson mid November.

To me the best part of this particular video couldn't be seen. It was the jump in confidence that my buddy had from Saturday to Sunday. He had a different instructor on Sunday and they really clicked - it was awesome to see. Not a good experience in the wet on Saturday but came away all smiles from our wet session on Sunday. Our driving performances aside (remember we are both new to this) I was very proud of the way he rebounded.

Please fire away!

Last edited by OG Shark; 10-22-2018 at 09:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 10:06 PM   #25
SQ13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Turn in earlier for 19
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4692.50
      10-23-2018, 02:03 AM   #26
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jktx View Post

Please fire away!
i don't see anything bad about what happened. he pointed you by and you didn't go wide or anything.

the stupidest thing i ever did was pass on the inside of turn 1 at laguna seca where i thought a few imports were going to go wide. i ended up getting pinched just a little and got really close to the cones on pit lane.
i apologized to the guys afterwards and they didn't think anything of it at all. i think they were more of a wheel to wheel type of crowd though... still, not my proudest moment, but i learned from it. just don't panic.
      10-23-2018, 12:39 PM   #27
Fearce
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e90 VT2-625

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
i don't see anything bad about what happened. he pointed you by and you didn't go wide or anything.

the stupidest thing i ever did was pass on the inside of turn 1 at laguna seca where i thought a few imports were going to go wide. i ended up getting pinched just a little and got really close to the cones on pit lane.
i apologized to the guys afterwards and they didn't think anything of it at all. i think they were more of a wheel to wheel type of crowd though... still, not my proudest moment, but i learned from it. just don't panic.
Appreciate 2
roastbeef11584.50
OG Shark4692.50
      10-23-2018, 01:33 PM   #28
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ13 View Post
Turn in earlier for 19
Agreed my miss was typically too late of a turn in - although I also had a few too early & ended up going wide. All over the place on that turn, I was basically a mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post

Think it worked out fine on this one but probably not the smartest move I've ever made with the straight there right after 10.

Got to watch out for those import guys (coming from a GT-R owner)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearce View Post
Pure awesome

Something tells me that wasn't taken Sunday...
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 01:35 PM   #29
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jktx View Post
Got to watch out for those import guys (coming from a GT-R owner)
yea, i'm in an import too, i guess.
      10-23-2018, 01:59 PM   #30
Fearce
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e90 VT2-625

Here's my only surviving COTA video. Turn down the volume, the wind noise is bad. I plan to have a better camera setup next time.

Last edited by Fearce; 10-23-2018 at 02:23 PM..
Appreciate 0