BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

03-25-2012, 11:36 PM   #353
db71
Private
Rep
Drives: 10 Audi S5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnes View Post
What's really sad is yesterday db71 went off on the whole forum telling us we should only purchase ADV and HRE wheels because they are American made instead of "cheaper" Volk and BBS wheels yet today in the other thread db71 says he won't buy ADV wheels because they are too expensive nor buy HRE wheels
Yeah that's what I said. What I actually said was don't trash a company with US jobs without personal firsthand experience.

Then today I said the models of wheels that would interest me from these companies would be more than I'm willing to spend. That does not mean I would not pick up a second hand set and redo them to my liking.

There are plenty of forged wheels out there made from the same raw materials as these companies that do not charge as much.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 12:23 AM   #354
h4nh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SC E90 M3 / 13 F10 M5

Garage List
2009 E90 M3 (superc ...  [10.00]
2013 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasimmmmm View Post
Issues with wheels happen... its normal. Even the company some guys are going on about. You can even google 'HRE wheels cracked' and you'll find several threads. So whats a big deal if ADV1 wheel cracks?

HRE
http://www.acuraworld.com/forums/f46...-wheels-58281/

Realistically speaking, how many wheel companies do anything facing such an issue? If anything, they are showing how they have good customer service by doing something about the issue you've had.

^

Just because ONE of adv.1 wheels cracked doesn't mean they ALL are bad wheels. I'm sure they've sold plenty and if there was a huge problem everyone would have heard about it by now.

Just because some ferrari's catch on fire doesn't mean its a POS. or if your e46 subframe rips out doesn't mean you'll never buy another bmw again
      03-26-2012, 04:42 AM   #355
Bluesummer
Lieutenant General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: slower than Ayrton Senna

Garage List
2017 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2015 M4  [0.00]
2011 E82 135  [0.00]
2011 M3  [0.00]
2007 335  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
Why?
Because every post he made sounded like a bitter ex-wife
And he announced that he would trash their reputation in the Asian and Korean forums ( always thought Korea was in Asia, but maybe I'm mistaken)
If you're gonna talk trash, the least you can do is be man enough and admit that maybe you were wrong.
Well if you were reading carefully, ADV offered to replace his entire set of wheels, or a full refund, or just replacing the wheel in question.
And this is on a set of wheels OUT OF WARRANTY.
I don't know about you, but I wouldn't ask much more of them
If you think that's not a good enough response, please share with us any other wheel manufacturer that has offered a better offer?
If trash talking a public company that don't deserve any of the fame and reputation it has gained, I don't wanna be right.

Yeah, you wouldn't know and I wouldn't know because we certainly never had our lives jeopardized by a set of $10k wheels at freeway speed. Also, it's not about what kind of offer is been put on the table, it is all about moral of business here. Knowingly manufacture and sold product with defect and later trying to buy its way out of the problem by delaying reply, blaming consumers show that this company DOES NOT deserve any sort of "reputation" that you mentioned.

If you are happy with a set of replacement or refund after you almost lost your life and possibly your loved ones. That's beyond me.
      03-26-2012, 08:09 AM   #356
db71
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesummer View Post
If trash talking a public company that don't deserve any of the fame and reputation it has gained, I don't wanna be right.

Yeah, you wouldn't know and I wouldn't know because we certainly never had our lives jeopardized by a set of $10k wheels at freeway speed. Also, it's not about what kind of offer is been put on the table, it is all about moral of business here. Knowingly manufacture and sold product with defect and later trying to buy its way out of the problem by delaying reply, blaming consumers show that this company DOES NOT deserve any sort of "reputation" that you mentioned.

If you are happy with a set of replacement or refund after you almost lost your life and possibly your loved ones. That's beyond me.

This is exactly the bs I'm talking about your saying they "knowingly manufactured" defective product obviously this was not the case but that doesn't stop you from making baseless accusations.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 08:34 AM   #357
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Concur. Baseless drama.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 09:14 AM   #358
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObviousMan View Post
I have to ask the OP...did the phone call with ADV happen? Did they actually provide any resolution to the original issue? Did little Timmy get rescued from the well? Oh, wait...wrong soap opera on that last one!
didn't really need to know! they have done a lot of explaining on the forum already

Past: Gintani stage3 M3, Cayman GTS
present: Porsche 993RWB, 964RS America,996 cupcar, 964 turbo 3.6,Macan Turbo,997GT2,930 turbo,i3, MINI JCW
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 10:14 AM   #359
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
in that case
you "almost lose your life and possibly your loved ones" everytime you get in the car no?

or are you telling me the only part that could possibly fail on the car in question was the "badly" made wheels?

honestly?
if you care so much about your life and your families life
you don't put 22" wheels on a cayenne
especially when no such option exists on a factory order
      03-26-2012, 10:16 AM   #360
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
Knowingly manufacture and sold product with defect and later trying to buy its way out of the problem by delaying reply, blaming consumers show that this company DOES NOT deserve any sort of "reputation" that you mentioned.
unless you have concrete proof, pictures, email etc to prove this
i think this is pretty much libel right here
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/libel
      03-26-2012, 10:48 AM   #361
BMWJones
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Space Gray 6/MT

okay, we've beaten this thing to death...can we move on now?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 12:25 PM   #362
h4nh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SC E90 M3 / 13 F10 M5

Garage List
2009 E90 M3 (superc ...  [10.00]
2013 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
Again, I love how folks read the first post and then give a pointless comment. Read the whole thread and you'll realize that this is beyond just a cracked wheel.
I read the whole thread because I own the wheels and I was concerned. Again, count the number of broken Adv.1 you've ever seen.
      03-26-2012, 05:20 PM   #363
ADV.1 Matt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: N/A

ADV.1 Testing Procedures and documentation
Due to the recent rumors circulating the internet we felt it was necessary to explain our testing, engineering, and warranty procedures for those interested.

Testing Procedures:
All of our forgings are initially engineered around a certain range of vehicle fitments / load ratings. Normally we design the forging die itself around a 2000lb. per corner load rating umbrella. This means that so long as all wheels using this forging are engineered around the tested / certified material thickness minimums based on the test certification, no further testing is required unless an order violates these guidelines for any reason. To give you an example of this, see diagram below.

For any wheels which do in fact contain material in some areas which is less than the tested / certified guideline minimums, we then use our in house xxx testing equipment. An example of this would be on wheels like our new SL series where they are engineered for the exact vehicle the order is intended for thus the material thickness tolerances may be too conservative for the subject vehicle in question. For example, if we're engineering a set of SL's for an R8 like the schematic below illustrates, the load rating of the vehicle is much less and the necessary material needed for safe use on this vehicle may be much less than the originally tested 2000lb / corner rating. With this being said, we use FEA analysis software to effectively determine the necessary material needed for this car. Once finalized, a physical test wheel is made for destruction testing on our radial and fatigue testing equipment which we've obtained for this exact purpose. Based on the resulting data of the test we then are able to confirm or deny the file which leads to either production of the wheel. revisions to engineering and re-testing, or additional reduction of material in order to further tweak the file for maximum weight reduction.

Testing procedures of the initial forging / umbrella certification is done by a company called STL or Standard Testing Labs. This is a US based, independent testing facility which provides multiple types of testing procedures. For each individual test subject a certification outlining the results and details is provided, see examples below which we have on file for all ADV.1 Forgings used.

Our in house radial cornering / fatigue testing equipment also provides documentation on each subject tested, an example of such is shown below:

In regards to TUV Testing, as many know is something we've been working diligently towards with our German Partners, ATT-Tec in Berlin, is a long process and despite what many believe is actually a never ending requirement needed for every single size, offset, application, PCD, etc. The process is very expensive and time consuming however is the only way to provide customers in Germany with aftermarket products of any type. Below is a detailed explanation written recently by Jordan Swerdloff on this subject:

"TUV requires individual testing and certification documents for every single wheel style, in each size, for each application so there's still a long road ahead of us in order to be able to offer all styles to a wide range of vehicles. So far we officially have our ADV5.1 monoblock approved in 20x8.5+18 / 20x11+20 for BMW e92 M3. Each additional certification will only require roughly a week for testing / approval now that the TUV recognizes the company as an approved manufacturer which will soon be added to their database once the paperwork is complete, the majority of the documentation and testing is not needed for each additional certification. Current plans for the remainder of 2012 will include 18 more certifications, 3 styles in both 1 piece and 3 piece track spec configurations, offered to 3 different vehicle platforms.

Although there is still a long way to go, this is a huge step in the process of opening the door to Germany. Currently the selection of wheels able to be sold is very limited and the only option enthusiasts have is to either choose from the limited selection of approved brands, mostly cast wheels or to risk fines and even the loss of their vehicles by driving without TUV certified products on their car. Now, through the efforts of our Exclusive German Distributors ATT-Tec, the German market will finally be able to enjoy our wheels without having to worry about the consequences of driving without approved aftermarket components on their vehicles."

ADV.1 Materials / Suppliers
3 Piece center disc forgings:
Material: 6061 T6 Heat Treated Forged Aluminum
Suppliers:
ASA
Centerline

1 Piece monoblock forgings:
Suppliers:
ASA

3 Piece rim halves / excluding 21/22 inch Standard reverse parts (step lip):
Material: 5051 Spun Forged Aluminum / 6061 T6 Heat Treated Forged Aluminum
Suppliers:
ARS
Triangle

3 Piece 21/22 inch Standard reverse parts (step lip) rim halves:
Suppliers:
Triangle

Machining:
Performed: In house / ADV.1 Dedicated portion of MHT Machining Production Facility

Engineering / Programming:
Performed: In house / ADV.1 Staff

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 06:00 PM   #364
M3ryder55
Major
Rep
Drives: 15' MW/SO

i still dont like how u guys edit all your pics to make your wheels look better

Last edited by M3ryder55; 03-26-2012 at 11:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 06:19 PM   #365
db71
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ryder55 View Post
I have not read the entire thread, but let me just chime in on what I think of adv:

I feel especially upset by you guys because I used to support and love your wheels, until I realized that you guys photoshop and play with all the pictures posted by you guys, making your rims look much more aggressive than they really are. And this is coming from a company with an already shady reputation. That alone rises the red flag, and don't ask me to say which one, because you guys know what I'm talking about

Also, I find it incredibly ironic how similar the dub mht line is to your wheels;
http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index....t-dub1-wheels/
http://www.luxury4play.com/wheels-ti...-1-wheels.html

are you willing to say that you guys manufacture your own wheels or does MHT manufacture your wheels out here in southern california, even though you guys are florida based? And i'm not calling just u guys out on it, but I think all these other "forged companies" including iforged sevas iconz etc (NOT HRE) have their wheels all produced by the same manufacturer, I believe its Rennen (but than again I could be completely wrong.. but i dont think i am)..

i mean just look at DUBS advertising and pictures. IDENTICAL to the photos of ADV wheels, in fact look like the same photographer..

i mean just look at how identical this pic looks compared to a type of pic from you guys

The genius who posted the link of that above image when you look at the image information, cites it back to zz127/ADV1WHEELS.. but wait... isnt that ironic how Dub/MHT has anything to do w/ ADV?

http://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/3...ans-mouth.html

I dont know if this is old news or not. To me it was completely shocking because I was never under the impression you guys didn't manufacture your own wheels. And yet you charge HRE prices for your product.. epic fail imo.

Wow really you just join the party? Amazing!!! I think this is epic fail.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 06:40 PM   #366
MR///M3
e90post veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: Past: '12 M3, '09 335

Quote:
I have not read the entire thread, but let me just chime in on what I think of adv:

I feel especially upset by you guys because I used to support and love your wheels, until I realized that you guys photoshop and play with all the pictures posted by you guys, making your rims look much more aggressive than they really are. And this is coming from a company with an already shady reputation. That alone rises the red flag, and don't ask me to say which one, because you guys know what I'm talking about

Also, I find it incredibly ironic how similar the dub mht line is to your wheels;
http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index....t-dub1-wheels/
http://www.luxury4play.com/wheels-ti...-1-wheels.html

are you willing to say that you guys manufacture your own wheels or does MHT manufacture your wheels out here in southern california, even though you guys are florida based? And i'm not calling just u guys out on it, but I think all these other "forged companies" including iforged sevas iconz etc (NOT HRE) have their wheels all produced by the same manufacturer, I believe its Rennen (but than again I could be completely wrong.. but i dont think i am)..

i mean just look at DUBS advertising and pictures. IDENTICAL to the photos of ADV wheels, in fact look like the same photographer..

i mean just look at how identical this pic looks compared to a type of pic from you guys

The genius who posted the link of that above image when you look at the image information, cites it back to zz127/ADV1WHEELS.. but wait... isnt that ironic how Dub/MHT has anything to do w/ ADV?

http://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/3...ans-mouth.html

I dont know if this is old news or not. To me it was completely shocking because I was never under the impression you guys didn't manufacture your own wheels. And yet you charge HRE prices for your product.. epic fail imo.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 06:54 PM   #367
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Every single company on the planet enhances advertisement photos..its Marketing 101..
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 07:27 PM   #368
Singletrack
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have not read the entire thread, but
but

but

shudup
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 10:13 PM   #369
ADV.1 Matt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: N/A

Just to address why Dub.1 looks similar... we were contracted to design their wheel line for them. But other than that we are not affiliated with any of their operations.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 11:32 PM   #370
MR///M3
e90post veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: Past: '12 M3, '09 335

Quote:
i still dont like how u guys edit all your pics to make your wheels look better
They only drop the cars a little more than they are already dropped. That's it. I honestly don't see anything wrong with that. It's not like they photoshop 6 inch lips on the wheels or make the spokes thinner.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 01:10 AM   #371
M3ryder55
Major
Rep
Drives: 15' MW/SO

your missing the point and i see your rocking their wheels so I'm not gonna hate, you got to defend your investment and I understand. What is wrong with it, is they make their offset and fitments look much more aggressive than they really are. And since they already have a track record, that does not fly well with me.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=665859

if adv edited those pics, wheels would look flush and car would be dumped. but their not and we can clearly see their rims are not nearly as aggressive as advertised. i don't mean to piss any of you fan boys off so i'll let it be at that take it how u want to.

now check out these adv edited images;
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=566635

the e90 is dumped in the pictures, in fact the third picture is ridiculous.. go to page 2 and watch the video of the car, the car is atleast an inch and half higher all around, and they even went as far as to edit out the orange reflectors.. Not like that matters but one of the most important determinants in buying a wheel for me is fitment aside from quality.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 01:19 AM   #372
Tony135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ‘22 Model 3

Quote:
your missing the point and i see your rocking their wheels so I'm not gonna hate, you got to defend your investment and I understand. What is wrong with it, is they make their offset and fitments look much more aggressive than they really are. And since they already have a track record, that does not fly well with me.

if adv edited those pics, wheels would look flush and car would be dumped. but their not and we can clearly see their rims are not nearly as aggressive as advertised. i don't mean to piss any of you fan boys off so i'll let it be at that take it how u want to.

the e90 is dumped in the pictures, in fact the third picture is ridiculous.. go to page 2 and watch the video of the car, the car is atleast an inch and half higher all around, and they even went as far as to edit out the orange reflectors.. Not like that matters but one of the most important determinants in buying a wheel for me is fitment aside from quality.
We have never altered the offsets of any of our cars via photoshop. We don't even lower them that often. There are a few cases where we will receive photos with the car on stock suspension and that is where we will lower it, but we don't make our wheels any more aggressive in photos.

Also, to add to that, we have multiple photographers across the world that do their own editing. We almost never touch what they send to us other than to slap the logos on them.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 01:46 AM   #373
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Those Dub.1 wheels look spot on ADV.1 wheels. Make sense, ADV says they designed the wheels.

But what really makes them different from ADV wheels? They were designed by ADV, built in same MHT facilities in SoCal. They are just marketed under a different brand.

So what is MHT charging for Dub.1 wheels?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 05:49 AM   #374
Singletrack
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
Those Dub.1 wheels look spot on ADV.1 wheels. Make sense, ADV says they designed the wheels.

But what really makes them different from ADV wheels? They were designed by ADV, built in same MHT facilities in SoCal. They are just marketed under a different brand.

So what is MHT charging for Dub.1 wheels?
What does any of this have to do with this thread? That is a rhetorical question by the way; please don't answer it.

Please?

Do people realize that their credibility goes out the window when they can't construct a decent sentence using proper punctuation and when they don't even know the difference between "your and you're"? I'll expect some smart-ass answer about the "grammar police", but seriously, with google now especially, there is no excuse.
Appreciate 0