BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-18-2013, 06:31 PM   #1
bkrM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [9.50]
Exclamation Newbie track pad install - is this sound normal?

EDIT:: UPDATE:: after 2 days on track and a little more street driving I have no more cricket noise. Conclusion is that brand new pads were touching on some higher spots on rotors not worn down by stock pads - after some wear all is now well. Still squeals like a garbage truck though

Quick info:
2009 E90 M3
Stock brakes (goodridge braided lines, motul 600 fluid)

I just did my very first track pad install with the help of some experienced friends. The pads are Pagid RS19 (yellows) in the front and the black RS pads in the rear (this is the combo sold by Turner).

Directly after the install I did a test drive and everything seemed fine. With more driving, however, they're really loud as if they're not coming fully off the rotor when I let off the brakes.

The only trouble we had with the install was pushing in the pistons for the front brakes because we didn't have the exact right tool (we had the tool for the e46, which worked fine for the rear calipers), but we eventually got them in far enough to install the brakes. I hope the piston position isn't the problem. My stock pads have tons of meat on them and we did open the fluid reservoir during the install. I had to wick out some fluid to get it down far enough to put the cap back on. Today I re-checked it and wicked some more out so that it's exactly at the MAX arrow on the reservoir.

I tried the procedure recommended by Pagid this morning for install/bedding (more or less) - http://www.braketechnology.com/brakepadbedding.html - with the ONE exception of the tip at the bottom, which I didn't know about until after the install was done, i.e. "MOUNTING NEW PADS ON USED DISCS
Edges of pad surface should be filed roughly to 45 degrees to ensure that the pad carries fully and evenly and is not touching the edge of the disc.
"

Here's a video of the sound, which is almost like crickets. Does seem to respond to turning the wheel one way or the other. Sounds pretty bad:

Also, I'm getting what seems like a ton of dust already - I think they've been on the car MAYBE 50 miles.

Should I be worried about any of this? Do I need to clean that dust off my wheels ASAP to avoid ruining them?

Here are the best pics I could get at dusk of the pads and the dust. The rear really looks like it's touching the rotor.
Attached Images

Last edited by bkrM3; 09-05-2013 at 03:05 PM.. Reason: update
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 07:15 PM   #2
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

try bedding again. when cold they will sound like a school bus but warm they wont make noise, usually only at the track. harder applications of the brakes on the street make the squeeling less. you should notice some noise for a few seconds as you let off the brakes and are going again because the pistons are not pulled back that quickly. dont now what the crickets sound it.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 08:01 PM   #3
VictorH
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

Don't think you need to do anything. I've run Pagid pads exclusively for the past 3 years (track, only minimal use on the street) and what you're experiencing is not unusual. Firstly I doubt you have any problems with the pistons, they just need to be retracted one way or another which you did otherwise you can't install new pads. You will get brake dust on the street, again what you have is normal and you'll see lots more on the track. Finally, the noise all within the realm of normal and are dependent on rotor temp, how much pad is rubbing on the disc, humidity and other factors that who knows for what reasons cause different noises.

Also re grinding the pads, don't worry, have you every tried to grind brake pads? I have and they are really tough, I've used an 80 grit belt on a power belt sander and even after a few minutes hardly anything comes off.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 08:10 PM   #4
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Or.. Time for a BBK. Tell your wife your brakes are broken.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 08:13 PM   #5
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6

Crickets sound is most likely coming from the brake dust shield slightly touching the rotor when moving. You might have exidentally bent one of those shields or more than one while changing brake pads.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 07:59 AM   #6
bkrM3
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
try bedding again. when cold they will sound like a school bus but warm they wont make noise, usually only at the track. harder applications of the brakes on the street make the squeeling less. you should notice some noise for a few seconds as you let off the brakes and are going again because the pistons are not pulled back that quickly. dont now what the crickets sound it.
I don't mind the squeal - I actually think it's kind of funny. Some guy asked me if my brakes were "broken" and said he thought at first that he heard a siren coming up on him The cricket sound is what worries me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorH View Post
Don't think you need to do anything. I've run Pagid pads exclusively for the past 3 years (track, only minimal use on the street) and what you're experiencing is not unusual. Firstly I doubt you have any problems with the pistons, they just need to be retracted one way or another which you did otherwise you can't install new pads. You will get brake dust on the street, again what you have is normal and you'll see lots more on the track. Finally, the noise all within the realm of normal and are dependent on rotor temp, how much pad is rubbing on the disc, humidity and other factors that who knows for what reasons cause different noises.

Also re grinding the pads, don't worry, have you every tried to grind brake pads? I have and they are really tough, I've used an 80 grit belt on a power belt sander and even after a few minutes hardly anything comes off.
Thanks, that makes me feel better about not trying to grind the edges of the pads. I was expecting a considerable amount of noise but nothing I've read mentioned anything about the pads squeaking while I'm not applying the brakes. I hope it goes away.

Quote:
Or.. Time for a BBK. Tell your wife your brakes are broken.
Actually my girlfriend - and the less she knows the better. If the next $5,000 item I buy doesn't have a diamond attached to it she's going to murder me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpilot View Post
Crickets sound is most likely coming from the brake dust shield slightly touching the rotor when moving. You might have exidentally bent one of those shields or more than one while changing brake pads.
That was an excellent suggestion - I checked all the shields this morning because on the first drive after install I did hear what sounded like a light metal ding or clang a couple times (I thought an anti-rattle spring came loose), but the shields don't seem to be the culprit. The front ones are really sturdy and don't appear to be bent at all and the back ones, although easier to bend, also appear to be totally clearing the rotor. Of course, I didn't pull the wheels off to be totally certain...

I don't get the cricket noise for the first minute or so I'm driving, and once I do get it it goes away temporarily if I apply the brakes. I'm sure it's related to the pads.

I'm probably worrying about nothing, but I wanted to make sure no one thought I had a problem with the piston or was going to end up glazing the pads, etc.
      08-19-2013, 08:47 AM   #7
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

start having your purchase shipped to work and install when she isnt around!

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 09:01 AM   #8
bkrM3
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
...sounds like you've done this before
      08-19-2013, 09:04 AM   #9
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrM3 View Post
...sounds like you've done this before
i havent had to resort to that. I installed bbk this weekend and she asked how much. she was a little surprised by the cost and said you know what i could do with that much? she doesnt really care though we have seperate money and can do what we want with it.

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 09:36 AM   #10
bkrM3
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
i havent had to resort to that. I installed bbk this weekend and she asked how much. she was a little surprised by the cost and said you know what i could do with that much? she doesnt really care though we have seperate money and can do what we want with it.
That's a good arrangement!
      08-19-2013, 10:00 AM   #11
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrM3 View Post
That's a good arrangement!
yeah we came up with it when we got married for just this type of stuff.

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 10:47 AM   #12
VictorH
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

For all the anxiety here, just wait until you get to the track, you're going to love those pads. No, it's not as good a solution as BBK, but relative to stock pads, it's huge.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 11:21 AM   #13
bkrM3
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorH View Post
For all the anxiety here, just wait until you get to the track, you're going to love those pads. No, it's not as good a solution as BBK, but relative to stock pads, it's huge.
Yeah, I'm a lawyer so of course I have to worry about everything. I have just enough car knowledge to be an annoyance to myself and others

The first thing I noticed was how well the car stops with these pads - it's like hitting a wall. They easily overpower the Michelins (PSS), which is a huge change from the stock pads. The second thing I noticed was how easy it is to modulate pressure.

I had my 335 on the track with stock brakes last year and got tons of fade as would be expected. This weekend will be my first time tracking the M and I really can't wait to see what it's like to have brakes that inspire confidence.
      08-19-2013, 12:48 PM   #14
dmw16
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2005 ///M3

Quote:
This.

OP, I'll find a post for you that is super relevant here. Stand by...

EDIT:
Here it is: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...8&postcount=12
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 01:53 PM   #15
LiM3y
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmw16 View Post
This.

OP, I'll find a post for you that is super relevant here. Stand by...

EDIT:
Here it is: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...8&postcount=12
Whoever wrote that was a complete idiot.
      08-19-2013, 02:01 PM   #16
dmw16
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2005 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiM3y View Post
Whoever wrote that was a complete idiot.
Yeah, but the sun shines on a dog's ass every now and again. Or something like that..
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 02:28 PM   #17
bkrM3
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [9.50]
      08-19-2013, 10:17 PM   #18
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

The pad on the outer side is not held with brackets right? My carbotechs werent. So its just the sound of the pad touching the rotor even when the brake pedal is not pressed in. I searched on google for the answer on m3post.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 10:46 PM   #19
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

neither side is held in with a bracket on most BBKs and dont usually have crickets.

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 10:52 PM   #20
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
The pad on the outer side is not held with brackets right? My carbotechs werent. So its just the sound of the pad touching the rotor even when the brake pedal is not pressed in. I searched on google for the answer on m3post.
This was my second guess.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 11:01 PM   #21
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD
neither side is held in with a bracket on most BBKs and dont usually have crickets.
On stockers they do. When insaw this i was thinking wtf! And what the hell are these? Brake pad sensors?! Smh.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 05:14 AM   #22
gan1hck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3

do the "crickets" stop rattling when you apply very light pressure on the brakes?

If so, it's the outside pad rattling inside the pad carrier.

I had a set of PFC08's without anti rattle clips on the outboard side of the rotors, and that's exactly what it did....drove me nuts for about the week, then I got used to them.
Appreciate 0