BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

02-11-2013, 02:35 PM   #1
crunchy_frog
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

battery charging/maintenance question

I live in a condo complex, which makes it impossible for me to have a battery tender attached to my car as there are no electrical outlets near my underground parking spot. My car is a 2008 with the original battery.

i was thinking of physically removing the battery from the trunk and charging the battery in my suite instead. Does anyone see an issue with this method?

i probably only need to reset the clock, all my other settings should be saved in the cars' ROM when i reattach the battery back to the car right?

Last edited by crunchy_frog; 02-11-2013 at 02:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 03:06 PM   #2
UCBPhD
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Jerez Black E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_frog View Post
i was thinking of physically removing the battery from the trunk and charging the battery in my suite instead. Does anyone see an issue with this method?

i probably only need to reset the clock, all my other settings should be saved in the cars' ROM when i reattach the battery back to the car right?
I don't know if there would be any problem with this, but given the complex nature of the car's electrical systems, I wouldn't bet too much money on "it will be fine" . . .

Now, I have asked this question before, and didn't get much of a response, except "drive your car more often". However, with a little help from the google, I think I found a strategy that would work fine (if you live in a reasonably secure area): (1) buy one of these: http://amzn.com/B000EJS9IM (or similar), (2) use the A/C outlets on the item from (1) to power the Battery Tender.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 03:48 PM   #3
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
The thing that I would be worried about is keeping the car secure while the battery is out and how you get the trunk back open once you close it without the battery. You'd probably need to get a jump box and see if you can power the car without the battery from the poles in the engine compartment.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 04:19 PM   #4
MA///M3
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 DCT COUPE

this may sound silly, but what about a friend's house? I charge up my battery once a week. overnight usually does the trick. maybe go to a friend's house, use the tender, charge it up once a week.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 06:58 PM   #5
crunchy_frog
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBPhD View Post
I don't know if there would be any problem with this, but given the complex nature of the car's electrical systems, I wouldn't bet too much money on "it will be fine" . . .

Now, I have asked this question before, and didn't get much of a response, except "drive your car more often". However, with a little help from the google, I think I found a strategy that would work fine (if you live in a reasonably secure area): (1) buy one of these: http://amzn.com/B000EJS9IM (or similar), (2) use the A/C outlets on the item from (1) to power the Battery Tender.
i was thinking the same thing. we have this in canada
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

which should be able to power the battery tender for a while
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 10:02 AM   #6
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

I dont recommend taking the battery out its a PITA to take out the battery lock on the bottom is a biatch as well...

if you take the battery lock you cant lock the car and if you do you cant open it... well you can but it will be a bitch just so much hassle.

oh if you wait too long if you take the battery out and tries to put it back more than 4 hours it will reset your settings not just the clock...
      02-12-2013, 10:19 AM   #7
j2m
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 DCT

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [10.00]
Removing the battery, in this car, is a major PIA. They definitely did not make it easy to pop in and out.
That being said I have had my battery out for several weeks at a time and when I re-attached it all I had to do was reset the clock.

11' E92 M3 Space Grey | DCT | ESS VT2- 625 | Gintani Race (valved) + Quad Res Catless X-Pipe | KW Sleeve's | GC Camber Plates|Arkym Diffuser | Vorsteiner VRS Lip | P3 Boost Guage | Stud Conversion
PHOTO's: Click Here ESS VT2 625 PHOTOS: Click Here
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 01:22 PM   #8
crunchy_frog
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

ok thx all
i think the safest route is to buy a portable power pack to power the battery charger/tender. My underground garage is secure with security patrols, so i'm not too worried about the items getting stolen
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 01:55 PM   #9
VMcV3y
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC; 2012 M3 Cabriolet

Garage List
Consider it not safe to have a potentially explosive and, at the least a corrosive, object inside your house/condo.

- V

2012 ///M3 Cabriolet; Le Mans Blue Metallic. >177k miles and still rocks!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 02:24 PM   #10
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

i am not looking forward to replacing that battery....I swear they intentionally designed the compartment as compact and ergonomically inefficient as possible, knowing how freaking heavy our batteries are....lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 11:25 PM   #11
Ggeezer
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
i was thinking the same thing. we have this in canada
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

which should be able to power the battery tender for a while
I'm in the same boat as you. No electrical outlets in my condo garage so I bought that power pack from Canadian Tire and hooked up the Deltran battery tender plus to it using the AC outlets.

First time I hooked it up, I hadn't driven the car in about 3 weeks and the power pack died overnight. Since then, I've been charging it once a week, and the power pack lasts for about 24 hours when the battery tender is in "maintenance mode".

Since charging the battery once a week, the battery tender usually goes into maintenance mode (full charge) in about 5-6 hours max. My clock hasn't lost any time whatsoever since I stored it for the winter so it's been working great for me!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 11:39 PM   #12
m3an
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
The thing that I would be worried about is keeping the car secure while the battery is out and how you get the trunk back open once you close it without the battery. You'd probably need to get a jump box and see if you can power the car without the battery from the poles in the engine compartment.

there's a key hole in the trunk for a regular key.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 12:17 AM   #13
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
i am not looking forward to replacing that battery....I swear they intentionally designed the compartment as compact and ergonomically inefficient as possible, knowing how freaking heavy our batteries are....lol.
put a mini battery in it.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 10:49 AM   #14
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
ok thx all
i think the safest route is to buy a portable power pack to power the battery charger/tender. My underground garage is secure with security patrols, so i'm not too worried about the items getting stolen
That's what I'd recommend. I've changed the battery by myself and it sucked. Would hate to do that often, plus you run the chance of crushing your battery leads and other wires with the battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
It sucks, and I def recommend getting someone to help at least hold the wires out of the way.

The compartment is the same as a regular E9x, so it's not that they made it more difficult. THe problem is that the M3 gets a much bigger battery, that's barely fits in there.... and weighs a ton too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3an View Post
there's a key hole in the trunk for a regular key.
+1. It's on the right of the tag lights. Thought that'd be common knowledge. Obviously there has to be some kind of manual overide.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 07:35 AM   #15
dejavu000
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Gray M3

Quote:
I live in a condo complex, which makes it impossible for me to have a battery tender attached to my car as there are no electrical outlets near my underground parking spot. My car is a 2008 with the original battery.

if you take your battery out and charger it, keep in mind the trunk needs power to open, so you will need the leave the trunk unlocked with is a security issue
Appreciate 0