BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

04-30-2014, 12:40 PM   #23
tightie
JOSH SHOKRI.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3RS, 964, Raptor

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [7.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malek@MRF View Post
I agree.. But maybe when we were all much younger. The older you get, the less this matters.

IMO, there is no chance an F82 will hold a candle to a modified E92, considering the architecture is almost identical. On a warm track day, you should know better than almost anyone, the turbo car is going to soak up in heat despite how many coolers they have strapped it with and power will become erratic. The F10 M5 and F12/F13 M6 direly suffer from this, especially when caught up in the draft of another vehicle at the track. The new turbo M cars are very sensitive to aerodynamic flow being perfect at the front end for it's cooling, once disrupted, they limp.

Lastly, the Volumetric efficiency of the S65 is extremely high. Strapped with a charger it pulls like a jet, and not many cars out there can really beat it, unless we are talking about some very expensive super cars or even modified super cars. The twin turbo's on the S55 are extremely small, based on initial info that we have, they don't look much larger than the N54 turbo's. I don't see boost being able to risen much higher than it currently is before hitting choke on the turbo's map.

I think you kind of answered your own questions here....

If it were me, I would pay a bit more and get a 991 Carrera S with cup kit and power kit or a 991 GT3 if the creature comforts of the Carrera S aren't important to you. If you want to stay BMW, wait to see what the M2 has to offer. That is where I am placing my bets.
I'm looking into upgraded turbos already for the F80.. I think it's time to part with my love (e92 M3). I've had this car since 2008. Worse case, I'll buy another one or e46 m3 and make it a track car.
      04-30-2014, 01:05 PM   #24
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malek@MRF View Post
I agree.. But maybe when we were all much younger. The older you get, the less this matters.
Cosigned. I could really give two $hits about being the first person on the block with a new this or that. I thought this thread was about something substantial i.e., weighing the merits of 2 potent vehicles, but it appears that it boils down to a pride thing.

Personally, as I said....your car is pretty schweet as is. If anything, I'd be waiting for Gintani's TT , but that's just me
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 08:58 AM   #25
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3

I'm suffering with the same issue. Basically pay 85k for a slower car...but newer. Meanwhile the C7 Z06 with be like 95 and blow the doors off everything besides an aventador or 458 speciale (sub 500k)
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 10:45 AM   #26
nickm3
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M

Hey man, Im currently in a C6 Z06 which im on the fence about selling, but ive had my fun with it. I myself want to get into an E92...Why? because of the Motor! last of the V8's and that thing sounds NASTYYYY with an exhuast and the DCT i want! Sorry but im about V8's and you my friend have a blower on it! i say keep it...that sound is Euphoric and nothing out there sounds like these cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 12:31 PM   #27
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickC6Z06 View Post
Hey man, Im currently in a C6 Z06 which im on the fence about selling, but ive had my fun with it. I myself want to get into an E92...Why? because of the Motor! last of the V8's and that thing sounds NASTYYYY with an exhuast and the DCT i want! Sorry but im about V8's and you my friend have a blower on it! i say keep it...that sound is Euphoric and nothing out there sounds like these cars.

Too late. He's already prepping for his F80.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 01:01 PM   #28
dvpouldar26
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 328i, Porsche 987.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightie View Post
I have a deposit down on the first m4 my dealer gets, i can give it up and get my deposit back.

true, i did the same thing with my 08 m3.

this is why:

Always fun being the first.

Other then power, that is the only thing stopping me from the M4. I dont know how much power I can squeeze with Downpipes, Tuning... I will probably have to do upgraded turbos to keep me happy.
Josh, I get wanting to be the first to have and mod it, but performance wise, you should look at the reality here.... the f1x m5 and m6 have been out for years now and still no one has been able to break the encryption on the ecu's. They're still relying on piggybacks years later which aren't even advanced enough to control timing and fueling. IF this is any indicator of the M4, then I think coming from what you've came from, you'll be in for a big disappointment. I think planning for upgraded turbos on that car is a bit immature as of now, the hardware is the easy part, and it's only an assumption that tuners will be able to tune it. And sure, you could slap on some dp's, a piggyback, etc and probably make 500hp, but I doubt it will be anywhere near what you've had in the past if they were even able to tune it. To add, it will probably take a 6 months to a year for the aftermarket to really catch up and crank out multiple options for coilovers, exhausts, etc. If I were you and wanted to switch it up for a similar price point, switch to another platform, like a 997.1 or 997.2 turbo for example. I'd skip on the M4, try it out maybe in a 6 months to a year when more parts come out for it and the aftermarket is sorted out. Hang onto the e92 if you want to stay BMW, or as Malek suggested, jump into another branded platform.
Jet Black / Gloss Black Grilles / 8000k D1S low beam / 6000k HID fogs / GP Thunder 8500k angels & cornering bulbs / black reflectors / gloss black vinyled window trim / tints / smoked rear turn signals / black roundels / AC Schnitzer roof spoiler / VRS style decklid spoiler / Matte black Stripes / Rear fogs / matte mirrors / 19" LM reps / APR lip

Last edited by dvpouldar26; 05-16-2014 at 01:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 01:48 AM   #29
tightie
JOSH SHOKRI.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3RS, 964, Raptor

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [7.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvpouldar26 View Post
Josh, I get wanting to be the first to have and mod it, but performance wise, you should look at the reality here.... the f1x m5 and m6 have been out for years now and still no one has been able to break the encryption on the ecu's. They're still relying on piggybacks years later which aren't even advanced enough to control timing and fueling. IF this is any indicator of the M4, then I think coming from what you've came from, you'll be in for a big disappointment. I think planning for upgraded turbos on that car is a bit immature as of now, the hardware is the easy part, and it's only an assumption that tuners will be able to tune it. And sure, you could slap on some dp's, a piggyback, etc and probably make 500hp, but I doubt it will be anywhere near what you've had in the past if they were even able to tune it. To add, it will probably take a 6 months to a year for the aftermarket to really catch up and crank out multiple options for coilovers, exhausts, etc. If I were you and wanted to switch it up for a similar price point, switch to another platform, like a 997.1 or 997.2 turbo for example. I'd skip on the M4, try it out maybe in a 6 months to a year when more parts come out for it and the aftermarket is sorted out. Hang onto the e92 if you want to stay BMW, or as Malek suggested, jump into another branded platform.
P car has crossed my mind, Ive already sported out the F80 performance mods and suspension.. not too worried about tuning.