BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
INDustry distribution
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-24-2020, 08:50 PM   #1
MShift
Captain
MShift's Avatar
United_States
188
Rep
654
Posts

Drives: MW '13 E92
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Miami

iTrader: (3)

Excessive rasp from Bimmerworld X Pipe or is this normal?

After reading a bunch of reviews and watching all the videos I could find I pulled the trigger on a BW x pipe. Sadly I'm extremely disappointed with the low rpm metallic rasp that my car has now. I read that there was a bit of rasp associated with the BW x but I didn't imagine it would be this bad. It sounds metallic, like something is loose, but I've had two shops look at it and same results. Is this normal or is there something else going on here? Rear end is a Dinan which never made this noise before the new x pipe install.

The rasp only happens between 2000 and 2700 rpm, sounds great before and after that. Don't hear it on very light throttle/load or revving it in neutral, but the moment I get on it a little more at that rpm it's pretty bad.

Anyone else experience this or have seen this with the exhaust combination?

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 08:58 PM   #2
DRLane
Captain
DRLane's Avatar
560
Rep
953
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MShift View Post
After reading a bunch of reviews and watching all the videos I could find I pulled the trigger on a BW x pipe. Sadly I'm extremely disappointed with the low rpm metallic rasp that my car has now. I read that there was a bit of rasp associated with the BW x but I didn't imagine it would be this bad. It sounds metallic, like something is loose, but I've had two shops look at it and same results. Is this normal or is there something else going on here? Rear end is a Dinan which never made this noise before the new x pipe install.

The rasp only happens between 2000 and 2700 rpm, sounds great before and after that. Don't hear it on very light throttle/load or revving it in neutral, but the moment I get on it a little more at that rpm it's pretty bad.

Anyone else experience this or have seen this with the exhaust combination?

What was your prior xpipe? Not sure I hear any rasp.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 09:18 PM   #3
b4hand
Lieutenant
274
Rep
515
Posts

Drives: 2011 ZCP M3
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (2)

Mine does that but I love it and nothing is loose. You should add some resonators to remove the rasp if you don't like it.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 09:20 AM   #4
Redd
Lieutenant Colonel
926
Rep
1,757
Posts

Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Malaysia

iTrader: (0)

Completely normal for catless unresonated x-pipe. That said, your rasp sounds a bit more tinny than my exhaust (non-BW). If you wanna get rid of it just put in some resonators. Or drive above 3k like I do. Lol
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 09:22 AM   #5
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
SYT_Shadow's Avatar
United_States
5958
Rep
7,451
Posts

Drives: E90M/E92M/F80CS/X5 35/MiniCS
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Greenwich, CT

iTrader: (1)

Did you get the completely unresonated one?

Even the resonated one has relatively small resonators. If you dislike rasp you may need to add a couple.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 02:22 PM   #6
MShift
Captain
MShift's Avatar
United_States
188
Rep
654
Posts

Drives: MW '13 E92
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Miami

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Did you get the completely unresonated one?

Even the resonated one has relatively small resonators. If you dislike rasp you may need to add a couple.
No, I got the resonated one. I had a different brand before and it had zero low end rasp.

I want to keep it because it clearly makes power, but that may mean having to change the rear portion.

Adding another set of resonators is a good option too, may be the easiest way to go, but I'm worried it won't really fix the issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 02:35 PM   #7
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
SYT_Shadow's Avatar
United_States
5958
Rep
7,451
Posts

Drives: E90M/E92M/F80CS/X5 35/MiniCS
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Greenwich, CT

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MShift View Post
No, I got the resonated one. I had a different brand before and it had zero low end rasp.

I want to keep it because it clearly makes power, but that may mean having to change the rear portion.
Maybe just add a couple resonators to the current one?

I hear the resonated one quite often as two friends have it and it sounds fine to me, but different rear sections and different tastes make the final experience different to different people
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 02:39 PM   #8
MShift
Captain
MShift's Avatar
United_States
188
Rep
654
Posts

Drives: MW '13 E92
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Miami

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MShift View Post
No, I got the resonated one. I had a different brand before and it had zero low end rasp.

I want to keep it because it clearly makes power, but that may mean having to change the rear portion.
Maybe just add a couple resonators to the current one?

I hear the resonated one quite often as two friends have it and it sounds fine to me, but different rear sections and different tastes make the final experience different to different people
Yeah, I wonder if there's anyone on the boards that has that setup. I love the sound otherwise, I don't want to quiet it down at all, I just want to remove the rasp.

What rear sections do they have?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 02:49 PM   #9
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
SYT_Shadow's Avatar
United_States
5958
Rep
7,451
Posts

Drives: E90M/E92M/F80CS/X5 35/MiniCS
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Greenwich, CT

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MShift View Post
Yeah, I wonder if there's anyone on the boards that has that setup. I love the sound otherwise, I don't want to quiet it down at all, I just want to remove the rasp.

What rear sections do they have?
One is fully OEM, the other is OEM mod 2 pipes

You could also just add the extra resonators to the primary cat area. This is what ESS sold with their 4 resonator xpipe back in the day
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 04:24 PM   #10
fth001
New Member
3
Rep
12
Posts

Drives: 2008 JB M3
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Honolulu,HI

iTrader: (0)

I have the BW resonated X-pipe with a Gintani Race rear and I also have that loud metallic rasp at about 2000-2500 rpm. There's a noticeable difference above 3K but it really feels down on power below that. My car previously had AA test pipes with the secondary cats removed and it didn't feel bogged down below 3K like it does now. I am now switching to a MS X-pipe to see the difference.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 07:24 PM   #11
MShift
Captain
MShift's Avatar
United_States
188
Rep
654
Posts

Drives: MW '13 E92
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Miami

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fth001 View Post
I have the BW resonated X-pipe with a Gintani Race rear and I also have that loud metallic rasp at about 2000-2500 rpm. There's a noticeable difference above 3K but it really feels down on power below that. My car previously had AA test pipes with the secondary cats removed and it didn't feel bogged down below 3K like it does now. I am now switching to a MS X-pipe to see the difference.
Very interesting that you say that because I felt the same loss of power/response at low rpm, feels like it has more top end though, which is probably why the peak HP is higher with the forward X. We don't really spend a whole lot of time down below 3k rpm when driving quickly though so the trade off may be worth it. I do miss that instant response the car had before...

I'm going to get dynoed later this week to see how much power this setup makes.

Active Autowerke is close to me so I was just going to pick up their resonated xpipe and sell the BW.

If I do go that route, I'll also dyno that setup and report back some numbers/comparison graphs and videos. There could be a chance to also dyno with a different 200 cell, normal x position x pipe, it would be really cool to get dyno numbers on all three and put a few questions to rest.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 08:01 PM   #12
tdott
Colonel
1422
Rep
2,625
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South FL / 6ix

iTrader: (3)

The power loss / hesitation might be a tuning issue with a more free flowing exhuast.

Here is another thread about it, we got some logs to definitely confirm something is up.

My tuner has also confirmed he makes no changes below 3k. So that could explain things. We need to get a tuner to look into it.

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1716181
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 12:32 PM   #13
MShift
Captain
MShift's Avatar
United_States
188
Rep
654
Posts

Drives: MW '13 E92
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Miami

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
The power loss / hesitation might be a tuning issue with a more free flowing exhuast.

Here is another thread about it, we got some logs to definitely confirm something is up.

My tuner has also confirmed he makes no changes below 3k. So that could explain things. We need to get a tuner to look into it.

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1716181
Hmm, never thought of it as a tune issue. I have BPM stage 2 and this was never a problem on the previous catless, resonated x pipe I had. Feels more to me like the design of the X location is efficient at higher rpm as the scavenging effects kick in, but low rpm there's not enough flow to take advantage of that effect and is in fact a little detrimental. I'm not an engineer, but maybe if the rear section is a little more restrictive then that accentuates the low rpm scavenging issue.

I'm really hoping it isn't something else like the car pulling timing due to knock. Only a dyno run log will confirm that. Will hopefully know soon.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 06:37 PM   #14
E.Usaf
Private First Class
E.Usaf's Avatar
37
Rep
133
Posts

Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Oahu

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
It's normal, unfortunately. I thought something loose was rattling at first. I bought new clamps for the rear because they're old and stretched out, so I figured they may help. Now I'm about certain they won't. I'm using the OEM exhaust still, so I'll see if anything changes with my Eisenmann sport when I throw it on.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 09:44 PM   #15
darkbmw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
70
Rep
205
Posts

Drives: slow m3
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: orlando fl

iTrader: (0)

Change your muffler, to a dinan, or active they have chambers which removes the rasp.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 08:15 AM   #16
MShift
Captain
MShift's Avatar
United_States
188
Rep
654
Posts

Drives: MW '13 E92
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Miami

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkbmw View Post
Change your muffler, to a dinan, or active they have chambers which removes the rasp.
I have the Dinan... bad rasp.

I bought dual 12" resonators, should have them installed this week. I will report back with results.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2020, 10:19 AM   #17
Gossypiboma
Captain
119
Rep
673
Posts

Drives: 13' M3 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: B'ham

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MShift View Post
I have the Dinan... bad rasp.

I bought dual 12" resonators, should have them installed this week. I will report back with results.
Yes, very interested in your results.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 11:11 AM   #18
tsk94
Captain
tsk94's Avatar
Canada
460
Rep
657
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Calgary

iTrader: (1)

I have a the BW resonated X-Pipe with OEM axle back and sounds very similar to this at low RPM - nothing wrong imo.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 01:49 PM   #19
Route 16
I got lei'd
Route 16's Avatar
Philippines
699
Rep
7,422
Posts

Drives: '10 E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Dark Side of the Moon

iTrader: (59)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk94 View Post
I have a the BW resonated X-Pipe with OEM axle back and sounds very similar to this at low RPM - nothing wrong imo.
I have rogue engineering test pipes and straight piped the rest ending with an iPE muffler. I know exactly what you're hearing OP but I don't get that at low RPM's I have to be about 4.5 and up and really on it. I thought it was normal, now I know it is, I like it.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 05:15 PM   #20
MikeYQM
Private
MikeYQM's Avatar
Canada
41
Rep
73
Posts

Drives: 2013 BMW M3 ZCP
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Moncton NB Canada

iTrader: (0)

I had that same concern with my BW X-Pipe. Added the same Vibrant 1792 resonators just down from the X and it cleared up most (but not all) of it. I might add HFC or another set of resonators in the spring summer, but I'm not convinced I need it yet.
__________________
2013 Fire Orange II E92 M3 ZCP
Bimmerworld (Quad) Resonated X-Pipe, AFe Stage 2 CF Intake, Carbon Project CF Plenum, Epic Motorsports Race Tune, Rogue Engineering Power Pulleys, Continental Extreme Contact Sport
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 05:28 PM   #21
MikeYQM
Private
MikeYQM's Avatar
Canada
41
Rep
73
Posts

Drives: 2013 BMW M3 ZCP
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Moncton NB Canada

iTrader: (0)

I also have a power dip at the same point in the power band where the engine feels like it's bogging
__________________
2013 Fire Orange II E92 M3 ZCP
Bimmerworld (Quad) Resonated X-Pipe, AFe Stage 2 CF Intake, Carbon Project CF Plenum, Epic Motorsports Race Tune, Rogue Engineering Power Pulleys, Continental Extreme Contact Sport
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 05:29 PM   #22
kyrix1st
Major
kyrix1st's Avatar
Japan
1137
Rep
1,277
Posts

Drives: E36 M3 Euro, E36/7, E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Kyoto

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
These cars are known for "resonance" around 2000 rpm, it is even stated in the factory manual (as normal phenomenon).

I think the "issue" amplifies if you go straight pipe. My setup makes a similar sound around that rpm range.

__________________
Pass me if you can.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow5957.50

Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:18 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST