BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

10-08-2020, 12:31 AM   #1
kyippee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Supra MK5, F44 235GC

SPL front arms - headlight adjustment rod, is it really needed?

Hey Everyone,

I'm looking at getting SPL arms up front and Bimmerworld has a kit that saves a bit of money vs. buying the 3 pairs of arms separately:
https://www.bimmerworld.com/BimmerWo...onversion.html

I'm confused about how some of the individual product pages talk about headlight levelling arms being missing. Do I really need them? Will there be some error codes or headlight levelling problems? I'm o.k. with the car not dynamically moving headlights up or down, as I believe I can just adjust manually under the hood.

Lower wishbones have a street version that include the rod. I assume race version (without rod) is included in the kit and will call BW to confirm: https://www.bimmerworld.com/SPL-Race...-Race-E9X.html

Tie rod ends include the rod:
https://www.bimmerworld.com/SPL-Race...s-E82-E9X.html

Upper control arms don't have the rod, don't see a street version:
https://www.bimmerworld.com/SPL-Race...s-E82-E9X.html
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 07:02 AM   #2
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Get the street version of the front LCA (lower wishbones). Everything other than the headlight level sensor mount is the same.

Not sure what you are referring to when you say the "rod" associated with the other parts. The headlight adjuster only applies to the main LCA. All other parts only have one version.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 1
kyippee1072.00
      10-08-2020, 12:08 PM   #3
kyippee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thanks slicer ! I am definitely not knowledgeable about these parts.

The part that confuses me on the upper control arms is this part: "Designed for track/racing use only. There is no mounting position for a headlight adjusting rod." Does that mean the stock upper arms have a position for it and this SPL part doesn't? Seems weird foes they to write that in.

I also got confused with the tension arm monoballs. I don't see an SPL front tension arm. Is it correct that I'd still need to buy a tension arm w/monoballs like the GAS brand one? (I am replacing)
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 12:26 PM   #4
//steve\\
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyippee View Post
Thanks slicer ! I am definitely not knowledgeable about these parts.

The part that confuses me on the upper control arms is this part: "Designed for track/racing use only. There is no mounting position for a headlight adjusting rod." Does that mean the stock upper arms have a position for it and this SPL part doesn't? Seems weird foes they to write that in.

I also got confused with the tension arm monoballs. I don't see an SPL front tension arm. Is it correct that I'd still need to buy a tension arm w/monoballs like the GAS brand one? (I am replacing)
No, there is a SPL front tension arm. It's totally straight unlike the OE part that's all twisted. In the bundle you linked it's the skinny long arm.
      10-08-2020, 12:33 PM   #5
kyippee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thanks Steve! The site must be confusing me or I'm just clearly rushing things while working. The name changes between bimmerworld and SPL site.

I confirmed over the phone w/bimmerworld that it is indeed one part that needs the headlight rod. (lower wishbone - race version linked here https://www.bimmerworld.com/SPL-Race...-Race-E9X.html)

It would need to be ordered in the street version to have the rod. Swapped out race for street version during my call to order.

Last edited by kyippee; 10-08-2020 at 01:37 PM..
Appreciate 0