BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

01-08-2021, 12:19 AM   #1
iamtrashman
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 AW Stripper M3

Which Sway Bar Links Are You Running?

Hello All,

I have ordered an Öhlins R/T coil over kit and plan to install it myself. I have no concerns on the install except for whether the stock sway bar end links are going to be suitable to use front and rear. From the reading I was able to do on this site it seems to me that after installation with the car sitting static I need to take a measurement to determine where the sway bar pickups will be sitting at a "neutral" position.

I would prefer to use non adjustable end links if possible, whether they are from a different BMW model or not doesn't really matter to me, but it seems like to properly corner balance a car adjustable end links are required. Am I going to run into adverse effects if I were to have the car corner balanced on stock links? Would leaving the suspension height perfectly equal and foregoing a corner balance to keep the factory links from having tension on them be the better choice? Am I grossly misunderstanding how the suspension functions? Or am I overthinking something that doesn't need to be addressed for a weekend driver that may see 3 lapping days in a year?

I know that the length of end link required is going to vary depending on the coil over kit being used and the ride height setting so its not exactly easy to say specifically which end link is appropriate if you are using either non adjustable or one of the adjustable options that have more than one length to choose from.

All of this to say what end links are you running on which coil over kit?

Maybe this thread could become a bit of a resource for people like me that plan to tackle this install themselves. Maybe a picture of your ride height, what coil over kit, which end link you are using, and if you have had any issues with it.

Thanks in advance for the replies.
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2021, 08:26 AM   #2
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Öhlins should be able to give you the exact length and or a few adjustable end link options. If you want to corner balance, you'll need adjustable links on all four corners.

They are super easy to manage and zero downside vs a fixed length option. Except for keeping the threads and jamb nuts corrosion free.

Not sure if it's super helpful to have a running log of suspension & endlink lengths given it should be widely available from your vendor.

Enjoy the Ohlins!
      01-09-2021, 12:59 PM   #3
MisterClutch888
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT ZCP

brother, nice seeing you here

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtrashman View Post
Hello All,

I have ordered an Öhlins R/T coil over kit and plan to install it myself. I have no concerns on the install except for whether the stock sway bar end links are going to be suitable to use front and rear. From the reading I was able to do on this site it seems to me that after installation with the car sitting static I need to take a measurement to determine where the sway bar pickups will be sitting at a "neutral" position.

I would prefer to use non adjustable end links if possible, whether they are from a different BMW model or not doesn't really matter to me, but it seems like to properly corner balance a car adjustable end links are required. Am I going to run into adverse effects if I were to have the car corner balanced on stock links? Would leaving the suspension height perfectly equal and foregoing a corner balance to keep the factory links from having tension on them be the better choice? Am I grossly misunderstanding how the suspension functions? Or am I overthinking something that doesn't need to be addressed for a weekend driver that may see 3 lapping days in a year?

I know that the length of end link required is going to vary depending on the coil over kit being used and the ride height setting so its not exactly easy to say specifically which end link is appropriate if you are using either non adjustable or one of the adjustable options that have more than one length to choose from.

All of this to say what end links are you running on which coil over kit?

Maybe this thread could become a bit of a resource for people like me that plan to tackle this install themselves. Maybe a picture of your ride height, what coil over kit, which end link you are using, and if you have had any issues with it.

Thanks in advance for the replies.
Slow Build
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 01:00 PM   #4
MisterClutch888
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT ZCP

oh i think lots of ppl here recommended buying the rear upper strut mounts too. Powerflex black was what i bought.
Slow Build
Appreciate 0