BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)

BPM

01-13-2011, 05:18 AM   #1
sameh
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Porsche 911S

Going green sucks!!

I can't believe that F1 cars will be 4cylinders /- turbo for 2013. Max rev-ability 12000RPM with expected HP of 600.
I'm keeping my V8 street car that revs to 8250 and I will appreciate it this much more too.
One 747 flight from USA to Australia puts out more emission than the whole 24 F1 cars for the whole season!!!
I'm truly disappointed, F1 is my favorit motor sport and I have been following it for more than 20 years, I don't know how Alonzo, Schumacher or Vettel will drive such toys.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 05:33 AM   #2
48Laws
Banned
Rep
Drives: '15 F80, '18 991.2 GTS

They used similar engine configurations in 1984, I believe.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 06:05 AM   #3
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

And considering they don't weight sqaut, they're still going to be retarded fast.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 06:16 AM   #4
sameh
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
And considering they don't weight sqaut, they're still going to be retarded fast.
Still, they didn't weight squat before and had 10 cylinders and 8 cylinders with 19000 RPM.
4 cylinders? Seriously? What's next? A 3 cylinder Suzuki?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 06:52 AM   #5
EuroCarsOnline
Rep
Drives: BMW Individual M3 Sedan

Wow, are you serious about the 600hp? How much less do they need to weigh now to make up for the loss in power?? I think that's roughly 300hp less.

Ultimate Buying Power
BMWDavid@me.com
www.bmweco.com 202-262-2900
Call Joy for Vehicle Status 443-883-6925
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 07:09 AM   #6
MikeyBMWM
Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameh View Post
I can't believe that F1 cars will be 4cylinders /- turbo for 2013. Max rev-ability 12000RPM with expected HP of 600.
I'm keeping my V8 street car that revs to 8250 and I will appreciate it this much more too.
One 747 flight from USA to Australia puts out more emission than the whole 24 F1 cars for the whole season!!!
I'm truly disappointed, F1 is my favorit motor sport and I have been following it for more than 20 years, I don't know how Alonzo, Schumacher or Vettel will drive such toys.
I'm at the European School of Aviation. Boeing 747 burns 5000lb of fuel per hour. Comparing the number of aircraft and the amount of fuel burned their car is safe to say that aviation is more idiots than a bulkhead green cars. Unfortunately, BMW does the job not only in ecological F1 engines ... The new BMW M5 F10 has scheduled two engines - 4.4 V8 bi-turbo around 600HP and the 5.5L V10 550HP. The second engine is a tradition / / / M, because it isn't turbocharged, but when the series / / / M will enter turbocharged engines it'll not be / / / Motorsport only / / / Marketting, it's sad ...
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 07:26 AM   #7
5erman
Banned
Rep
Drives: black 5 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieGTRS View Post
I'm at the European School of Aviation. Boeing 747 burns 5000lb of fuel per hour. Comparing the number of aircraft and the amount of fuel burned their car is safe to say that aviation is more idiots than a bulkhead green cars. Unfortunately, BMW does the job not only in ecological F1 engines ... The new BMW M5 F10 has scheduled two engines - 4.4 V8 bi-turbo around 600HP and the 5.5L V10 550HP. The second engine is a tradition / / / M, because it isn't turbocharged, but when the series / / / M will enter turbocharged engines it'll not be / / / Motorsport only / / / Marketting, it's sad ...

Well your credibility went out the window with this. The new M5 will NOT offer any NA engine, let alone a reworked v10. All they will offer is the m4.4 v8TT engine.

I guess the one thing we could learn from the F1 turbo engines are how they STILL are able to redline well up to 12k? I think MANY M fans would be happy regardless of if a turbo was on our car, if M could make a car revving to 8-9k.

While people taut that they want "an NA" M car, in reality most people want the high-revving engine because it makes them feel like a race driver and that is what many of us seek or enjoy. Cant beat the sound of a high revving engine
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 11:09 AM   #8
M_ZVER
VROOOOM
Rep
Drives: 08 IB E92 M3 6SPD,

Sameh,

I agree with you 100%. I been following the sport as well and it keeps on getting boring every season because of all the constrictions. What happen to let the best and most powerful car win? I feel like F1 is become a dying sport, I lost a lot of interest especially when BMW left. No wonder Ferrari is contemplating on leaving too.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 11:52 AM   #9
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by samma155 View Post
Sameh,

I agree with you 100%. I been following the sport as well and it keeps on getting boring every season because of all the constrictions. What happen to let the best and most powerful car win? I feel like F1 is become a dying sport, I lost a lot of interest especially when BMW left. No wonder Ferrari is contemplating on leaving too.
i lost interest when Senna died...
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 11:58 AM   #10
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

I lost interested when Schumi left. I was actually finding it pretty boring even at those times, but just watching to not miss out a legend of our times. I watched like 5-6 races when he came back, but God it was so boring (and Schumi sucked a lot) that I couldn't watch any longer. I might try watching again with the new season.

Engine stuff is one thing, I'm more upset about the stupid fuel requirements (no fuel pit). Also the aerodynamic setups killing the overtakes... So where's the fun?
      01-13-2011, 12:09 PM   #11
sameh
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhanh View Post
I lost interested when Schumi left. I was actually finding it pretty boring even at those times, but just watching to not miss out a legend of our times. I watched like 5-6 races when he came back, but God it was so boring (and Schumi sucked a lot) that I couldn't watch any longer. I might try watching again with the new season.

Engine stuff is one thing, I'm more upset about the stupid fuel requirements (no fuel pit). Also the aerodynamic setups killing the overtakes... So where's the fun?
I was a big Shumi fan as well but man this past season was so exciting between Vettel, Webber and Alonzo. Mercedes GP wasn't good this past season but rumor has it, it will be the team to watch this year. (speeeed maniac) and Alonzo are raw talents with Kubica from Renault as well. So there is plenty of excitement there don't miss out on.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 12:22 PM   #12
techlogik
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i Dravit Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5erman View Post
Well your credibility went out the window with this. The new M5 will NOT offer any NA engine, let alone a reworked v10. All they will offer is the m4.4 v8TT engine.

I guess the one thing we could learn from the F1 turbo engines are how they STILL are able to redline well up to 12k? I think MANY M fans would be happy regardless of if a turbo was on our car, if M could make a car revving to 8-9k.

While people taut that they want "an NA" M car, in reality most people want the high-revving engine because it makes them feel like a race driver and that is what many of us seek or enjoy. Cant beat the sound of a high revving engine

The engines are designed to only last 1 race. They are completed rebuilt afterwards.

As one engine builder put it: "The perfect engine runs flawlessly at it's designed maximum performance the entire race, than right when it crosses the finish line, it implodes."
      01-13-2011, 12:29 PM   #13
Nition
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 AW/FR E93 M3

I don't really see how this would affect the sport much. I mean, call me a noob, but aren't all the cars going to be affected by this? So it's still a fair race and it still requires a huge amount of skill and talent to be in this sport. 600 hp is still massive for a car that light. Anyway, I'll still be watching when Hamilton wins the championship this year.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 12:35 PM   #14
sameh
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nition View Post
I don't really see how this would affect the sport much. I mean, call me a noob, but aren't all the cars going to be affected by this? So it's still a fair race and it still requires a huge amount of skill and talent to be in this sport. 600 hp is still massive for a car that light. Anyway, I'll still be watching when Hamilton wins the championship this year.
It's not gonna affect the fairness any but will sure affect the excitement level, race times, straight speed, you name it. To make it simple, imagine they make the basketball smaller and lower the rim 3 feet, will you enjoy watching NBA as much?
F1 cars, drivers and pit crew are supposed to be the top in everything, not anymore I say.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 12:41 PM   #15
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Yes. We've discussed this a number of times in the past with the new McLaren engine being the perfect real world example (albeit in a much more expensive car).

Regarding the F1 engine, like I said in another thread, the move to an I4 is dumb. They are only losing 0.6L of displacement and that could have been achieved with the V8. Now all the teams are forced to start with a completely new engine altogether, losing all investment in the V8. The F1's rationale: they want the race motors to be more similar to those in passenger cars used throughout the world. Well, sure guys, if you just go by cylinder count, then I suppose that is true. But that's a pretty silly way to draw a comparison between two engines. I mean, when has anyone ever seen a 600hp 12000RPM engine in a street car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5erman View Post

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 12:45 PM   #16
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by techlogik View Post
The engines are designed to only last 1 race. They are completed rebuilt afterwards.

As one engine builder put it: "The perfect engine runs flawlessly at it's designed maximum performance the entire race, than right when it crosses the finish line, it implodes."
They used to be. During the recent years rules are changed. I don't remember the exact number of races an engine has to endure, but it is >=2.
      01-13-2011, 01:06 PM   #17
Edward
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013.9999 E92 Jerez ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by techlogik View Post

LOL???

In 2010, there were 19 races, 19 qualifying days, and 38 practice days. Each team cannot use more than eight engines per season without penalties. I don't know what more to say here.

And did anyone in this thread even watch the 2010 season? It was the closest championship points race in the sport's history. At many points in the season there were four former world champs gunning for another title (Schumacher, Alonso, Button, Hamilton) on top of two of the top contenders, Webber and Vettel. Even the last race could have resulted in any of four of the top placers winning the season.
Though decades ago, balls to the wall driving was more fun to watch, the fact that pit strategy plays into results more these days shouldn't take away from F1 being a competitive sport. The only thing I wish for is a smaller divide between the tier one and tier two teams. I'd love to see HRT or Torro Rosso come up and challenge the big guys like Ferrari, McLaren, Renault, Red Bull.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 01:24 PM   #18
N8dawg
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

I don't care how high the turbo M's will rev. Turbocharging makes cars sound like vacuums.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 01:33 PM   #19
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

The new rules require the new formula to be within 4 seconds per lap of today's formula. Downforce will come predominantly from the undertray so passing will happen far more often (wings disturb the air too much for the car behind to take advantage). Current undertray is flat. These changes could prove better for the sport. I prefer refueling as I want the cars to be quick the whole race long. We'll see.
      01-13-2011, 01:37 PM   #20
ManAndMachine
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80M3 BG KO, '17 Taco Pro

No care for F1..they can do whatever they like

Moto GP is currently much more entertaining to watch IMO and they are continuing to push the speed envelope in every aspect.

Rossi on the Desmo GP11 this year=
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 01:50 PM   #21
EuroCarsOnline
Rep
Drives: BMW Individual M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
LOL???
I'd love to see HRT or Torro Rosso come up and challenge the big guys like Ferrari, McLaren, Renault, Red Bull.
+1
I'm an Alonso fan after BMW left. I was at the Montreal GP in 2007 (and 2008) and watched Sato in the Super Aguri pass Alonso in the McLaren. The crowd went nuts! I was at turn 2 and saw the replay of the pass as Sato was coming around in front of where our seats were.

Alonso had a bad race anyway. At the start he went in too hot into turn 1 and cut across the infield right in front of me. Then Nick Heidfeld overtook him accelerating out of turn 2. Then later towards the end of the race Sato passed him!

Check it out (as usual the Japanese commentators are the best): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNGuw7khT98

Ultimate Buying Power
BMWDavid@me.com
www.bmweco.com 202-262-2900
Call Joy for Vehicle Status 443-883-6925

Last edited by EuroCarsOnline; 01-13-2011 at 03:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 02:02 PM   #22
Serious
1M advocate
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 S4. 2011 M3. 2012 S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by samma155 View Post
Sameh,

This past season was the closest in history, it had some of the best racing and story lines in the last 20 years.

I can't even believe a true fan of F1 would say it's getting more boring, did you watch at all between 2000-2005? The season was over at the first corner, just MS walking away with the title again. How is that fun to watch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
i lost interest when Senna died...
17 years ago. Get over it. Besides if you're truly a senna fan you'd think you would have some interest in watching his nephew start his f1 career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhanh View Post

That's what happens when you only watch for one driver, im sure you'll be around next year when he is in a competitive car, although he still might be getting his face kicked in by his teammate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
LOL???

In 2010, there were 19 races, 19 qualifying days, and 38 practice days. Each team cannot use more than eight engines per season without penalties. I don't know what more to say here.

And did anyone in this thread even watch the 2010 season? It was the closest championship points race in the sport's history. At many points in the season there were four former world champs gunning for another title (Schumacher, Alonso, Button, Hamilton) on top of two of the top contenders, Webber and Vettel. Even the last race could have resulted in any of four of the top placers winning the season.
Though decades ago, balls to the wall driving was more fun to watch, the fact that pit strategy plays into results more these days shouldn't take away from F1 being a competitive sport. The only thing I wish for is a smaller divide between the tier one and tier two teams. I'd love to see HRT or Torro Rosso come up and challenge the big guys like Ferrari, McLaren, Renault, Red Bull.
I know, I can't believe any true f1 fan couldn't be in awe over this past season.

Besides anyone who knows anything about current f1 knows that engines don't really mean that much, the aero is really what separates the front runners from the back markers.

Besides turbo 4's have just as much a place in F1 history as NA v12's, and even more so that v8's or v10's.