BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

Mporium BMW

11-08-2019, 02:56 PM   #683
garagebattle
Registered
Rep
Drives: porsche boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kms View Post
I recently installed a JoyeAuto Carplay Interface in my F33. I was also fighting with the bad sound quality. If I connect my Iphone 6s with a 3.5 cable into the BMW Aux connector it sounds good. Same sound quality (for me) as using USB connection. With the Joyeauto interface it sounds horrible bad. Changing EQ settings from Flat to Classic sounds improves slightly, but sound is still bad. So bad that I decided to look into the problem.

Iphone headphone Output is able to drive 16 Ohms Iphone Headset with a good audio quality. Output impedance of the Iphone (6S) is quite low, probably far below 10 Ohms. Same is valid for Samsung A40 and probably for other smartphones too.

The JoyeAuto unit has a 1k resistor betwen the Output of the Line Driver (an OP amp of type TPF605A) an the Aux cable which leaves the unit. So this unit will not be able to drive a BMW Aux input in a proper manner.

The BMW Aux input has a complex circuit to avoid inteferences and detect the connection of a cable. Here it is important that it has an Input capacitor of 100nF. This is no problem for a smartphone, but it is a problem for most china produced audio interfaces as JoyeAuto, Avin, .... I would consider this a design failure of these china interfaces.

In case of the JoyeAuto interface i placed a 56 Ohm rsistor in parallel to the 1k resistor. This requires to open the unit and to be able to solder 2 additional resistors (one for the left audio channel and another one for the right audio channel) on the PCB (printed circuit board).

After this fix the sound is now similar to Iphone connection with headphone cable. I is quite OK for a car. You will enjoy it even with HK or BW/BO systems. (I checked with HK sound sistem and with an BMW individual sound system).

See attachement for frequency responses and fotos of PCB.
Hi I have a few questions:

1. In your diagram you have two resisters marked with a red outline. Did you add these or replace existing ones?

2. can you provide a link to buy those resistors?

3. Is there an orientation to the resistor?

4. I have a joyeauto w/porsche boxster - and have noticed the bass and treble isnt as good as with the aux input/ipod input on the same song - would I be correct in assuming this mod will benefit me as well?

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 09:26 AM   #684
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
I think my kremersino unit may have failed. After applying the software update, all of a sudden the display screen for the box won't even come up when I press Menu on the idrive. All I get is this faded white display. I haven't changed a thing besides applying the SW update.
Attached Images

11-09-2019, 05:48 PM   #685
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
Does it still let you flick between iDrive and Kremersino?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 09:31 PM   #686
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBO View Post
Does it still let you flick between iDrive and Kremersino?
It did, but switching to the Kremersino screen only brought up a white faded image with no menus or anything, and I couldn't do anything with it.

But I figured it out - I hadn't fully applied the sw update so it got "caught in the middle". I unplugged the power cable from the unit, let it sit for a bit, then plugged it back in with the USB stick inserted so as to reapply the update. I let it fully apply the update and all is restored.

I did just order a FAKRA male to female cable extension, however, so that I can bypass the unit and send it back to Kremersino for the newer version:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
      11-09-2019, 11:58 PM   #687
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
I feel like I got my unit into a similar situation at one point with all the updates, didn't have a white screen, but certainly wouldn't boot normally. A few plug/unplugs of the USB and the power cable solved it too.
Appreciate 1
PACarGuy679.00
      11-10-2019, 12:36 PM   #688
rod.bearings
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazi3azn View Post
Does anyone's CarPlay auto play Spotify when it connects? Can't get it to work. I suspect Apple Music may since it's a native app
This is default behavior for all ACP.

I have a silent song to prevent it from auto playing the first alphabetical song.
So I guess it auto plays for Apple not for Spotify then
      11-10-2019, 12:37 PM   #689
rod.bearings
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [0.00]
For those who installed a rear camera. Do we benefit from a 720p camera?

I installed a generic 480p one and was wondering if upgrading to the HD would do anything?
      11-10-2019, 03:19 PM   #690
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
For those who installed a rear camera. Do we benefit from a 720p camera?

I installed a generic 480p one and was wondering if upgrading to the HD would do anything?
If I’m not mistaken the input would be composite, so I’d be surprised if you got a noticeable difference. Other factors may provide a better image (eg. different/better lens on the higher res cam), but resolution won’t be one of them.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 04:17 PM   #691
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBO View Post
If I’m not mistaken the input would be composite, so I’d be surprised if you got a noticeable difference. Other factors may provide a better image (eg. different/better lens on the higher res cam), but resolution won’t be one of them.
Agreed with this statement. Yellow video input (composite) has a max 576i resolution.
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 08:30 AM   #692
g35mt
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW m3 F80

i am having issue with my kremersino unit. I have set every correctly, the dip switch include. What happen is when i make a uturn or pretty hard turn (left or right) i get that screen about electronic failure. Same as one of the thread here. When that happen i would get bunch of CEL lights and a few second it will go away. Now if i have the unit in there and remove the main power plug (idrive, etc) and leave the lvds and vga cable, the car runs fine. When i connect the idrive cable to kremersino, i would get that electronic error. I went ahead and try to use the wire version of android auto, the car would light up with CEL galore. Talk to michael, he insist the unit is good and maybe cable, at this point i am giving up. I have trouble shoot with him and time different really stink.

Not sure what could be wrong but once i connect the unit and i drive to power it, the car go whacky after u turn or hard left or right turn. I got scare and now it just sitting idling there.

Any help would be grateful. Trying to return and i don't think he likes that idea.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 05:30 PM   #693
luckyse7en
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by g35mt View Post
i am having issue with my kremersino unit. I have set every correctly, the dip switch include. What happen is when i make a uturn or pretty hard turn (left or right) i get that screen about electronic failure. Same as one of the thread here. When that happen i would get bunch of CEL lights and a few second it will go away. Now if i have the unit in there and remove the main power plug (idrive, etc) and leave the lvds and vga cable, the car runs fine. When i connect the idrive cable to kremersino, i would get that electronic error. I went ahead and try to use the wire version of android auto, the car would light up with CEL galore. Talk to michael, he insist the unit is good and maybe cable, at this point i am giving up. I have trouble shoot with him and time different really stink.

Not sure what could be wrong but once i connect the unit and i drive to power it, the car go whacky after u turn or hard left or right turn. I got scare and now it just sitting idling there.

Any help would be grateful. Trying to return and i don't think he likes that idea.
Have you inspected the hardness for any damage wires or bent pins? If you can modulate the problem by hard turns, something within that harness must be damaged. Also double check your idrive harness is not pinched under tabs or any panels during install.
      11-12-2019, 03:57 AM   #694
swienty13
Registered
Rep
Drives: f11

So what is best option for CIC CarPlay box out there right now in terms of:
Best support?
updates?
reliability?
does any system switch to PDC/reverse cam automatically (after hitting reverse gear) or do I have to turn it on manually?
Sound quality?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 07:13 AM   #695
dextersl
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d MSport Le-Mans Blue

Has anyone who recently received the new hardware had a chance to try phone calls through carplay yet? And if so how good is the call Quality compared to the Factory BMW call system?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 08:31 AM   #696
g35mt
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyse7en View Post
Have you inspected the hardness for any damage wires or bent pins? If you can modulate the problem by hard turns, something within that harness must be damaged. Also double check your idrive harness is not pinched under tabs or any panels during install.
instead of tucked the unit and wire away, i have it sit in the driver side. At this point, i start to pinch the wire, more the idrive cable violent to see if the unit produce the error. I couldn't not. I had even tried to shake the unit, but no go. Just that we i put them back together and start driving by making hard left or right turn, the error would go on. A uturn would turn that on as well. i have check the idrive harness and doesn't appear bent or broken. I am at lost.

What i did was also run ISTA D. i clear all fault and read again, everytime i tried to read vehicle, the module CON would give warning right away. But when i remove the unit, clear fault and read vehicle again, all green. the code is 00E2c4 - CON: K-Can line fault
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 08:33 AM   #697
g35mt
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swienty13 View Post
So what is best option for CIC CarPlay box out there right now in terms of:
Best support?
updates?
reliability?
does any system switch to PDC/reverse cam automatically (after hitting reverse gear) or do I have to turn it on manually?
Sound quality?

Thanks
i have not try this unit but it is basically same as avinusa unit. Look pretty good consider that you get a new higher resolution screen and the OS is android. I would assume you can do much more with android head unit.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3288...chweb201603_55
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 10:36 AM   #698
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
instead of tucked the unit and wire away, i have it sit in the driver side. At this point, i start to pinch the wire, more the idrive cable violent to see if the unit produce the error. I couldn't not. I had even tried to shake the unit, but no go. Just that we i put them back together and start driving by making hard left or right turn, the error would go on. A uturn would turn that on as well. i have check the idrive harness and doesn't appear bent or broken. I am at lost.

What i did was also run ISTA D. i clear all fault and read again, everytime i tried to read vehicle, the module CON would give warning right away. But when i remove the unit, clear fault and read vehicle again, all green. the code is 00E2c4 - CON: K-Can line fault
00E2c4 - CON: K-Can line fault

This fault seems to be present as long as it is installed. I have that error currently with it running properly.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 12:33 PM   #699
g35mt
Private
Rep

Quote:

This fault seems to be present as long as it is installed. I have that error currently with it running properly.
back to square one
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 01:31 PM   #700
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Ditto for me.
      11-12-2019, 02:40 PM   #701
rod.bearings
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
I got the updated kremersino unit. It looks the same but the wireless antennae are now internal, mimicking the previous version. The unit looks like it is now on the latest update as well which makes it easier to setup BT setup. Shipping back the unit cost me $34 from USPS flat rate international, and another $33 for the new unit (their explanation was extra cost of the newer components, yadayada).

I was only able to play with it for an hour, but the bass is restored and it sounds acceptable.

I have my HiFi set to max treble , 4 from max, bass and gain at 50%.
iPhone volume is as max volume for BT audio.
Had a question. Is there a way to physical or via software confirm I have the new version? (I bought mine mid sept and Michael said it was the new one but I just want to be sure)

Also regarding the bass. Mine has bass but it doesn't sound as good as Bluetooth or native USB sound (assume this is a limitation of aux analog vs USB digital). Like my girlfriend can't sell the difference but I can.
Was your a lot worse than bluetooth and is the newer one on par?
      11-12-2019, 03:43 PM   #702
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swienty13 View Post
I had to activate the setting, but mine automatically switches between CarPlay and PDC screen when I put my car in reverse. Works quite well.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 03:47 PM   #703
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
i have not try this unit but it is basically same as avinusa unit. Look pretty good consider that you get a new higher resolution screen and the OS is android. I would assume you can do much more with android head unit.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3288...chweb201603_55
That's a totally different thing that what we are taking about in this thread. It replaces the factory display with an Android HU.

I had an Android HU in my previous work car (and I've put the same one in my fiances car), but it was terrific for running Android apps, but the CarPlay dongle was never great. Some days it just wouldn't work at all, and I had to get a USB splitter cable so it could provide enough power to the phone.

Even with the issues I've had with the Kremersino box, I still prefer it to CarPlay via Android. With the current update I have, the connection is quite stable, and everything is controlled with the iDrive controller.

With the Android HU it will all be via touchscreen, some will prefer that but not sure that I do.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 04:08 PM   #704
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Had a question. Is there a way to physical or via software confirm I have the new version? (I bought mine mid sept and Michael said it was the new one but I just want to be sure)

Also regarding the bass. Mine has bass but it doesn't sound as good as Bluetooth or native USB sound (assume this is a limitation of aux analog vs USB digital). Like my girlfriend can't sell the difference but I can.
Was your a lot worse than bluetooth and is the newer one on par?

Physically: The older version had virtually no bass at all. The older unit had the wireless attenna on the outside of the rear vent holes. The newer unit I received seems to have returned this to internal ones.
Appreciate 0