BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

10-09-2018, 04:21 AM   #23
IMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedge9 View Post
My local mechanic is actually trying to source a company called KING that I had not heard of nor have seen in any posts. I believe they do mostly after market race bearings and even have some aviation bearings.

Has anyone used their rod bearing's?
I've used the King bearings in s50b35 , s54, s50b32 race engines and they were great.
For the S65 BE is the way to go or WPC treated Oem bearings. Both are great IMO
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 12:56 PM   #24
PilotAce
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

how much did it cost you?

Curious as to how much you paid for a rod bearing replacement service using BE bearings and bolts? Parts? Labor? Wondering what that would cost me in Chicago...
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 01:45 PM   #25
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Figure on a little under $1000 in parts. Add 8-12 hours labor. It can be done in under 8 hours but can also take a little longer, depending the person doing the work.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 04:31 PM   #26
wfdeacon88
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotAce View Post
Curious as to how much you paid for a rod bearing replacement service using BE bearings and bolts? Parts? Labor? Wondering what that would cost me in Chicago...
At a respected shop here in NC, I was quoted $2,200 this week for it all using these parts.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 12:45 AM   #27
redline9001
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F15 X5, G14 F150

I just got my car back from the shop today... BE bearing and arp rod bolts....

I had to wait a couple of months to get the bearings in, I am glad I did it...
      11-19-2018, 05:45 PM   #28
wfdeacon88
Major
Rep

I am looking to have new RBs put on ASAP. I can't take it anymore waiting on BE to replenish... unless they are coming out in the next two weeks or so, I wanted to confirm that the BE-ARP bolts are also out of stock or can I get those now? I am trying to pair these bolts (bc many have said they are superior to OEM plus easier to install) with VAC increased clearance bearings. My car is an 09 E90 with 98.8K miles on it and I assume the original bearings. I have some potentially odd idle revs right now, and my paranoia has reached a peak to where I want to get it done ASAP, but I don't want to F-up the bolts. I feel like I'm driving a ticking time-bomb.

Can anyone share any information on when BE might restock and confirm that it's not within the next two weeks?

Are BE-ARP Bolts also out of stock or are those available as of today?

If BE-ARP bolts are out, then is it not the right call to go ahead and compromise with VAC and OEM bolts?

thanks!

edit: Here is what I see on the website. They just say "ARP S65 bolts" and don't specify BE-ARP. Also, the "Size" drop-down is confusing me .... anyone familiar? https://store.vacmotorsports.com/mob...s65-p3479.aspx
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 05:57 PM   #29
serranot
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [10.00]
I think the VAC ARP are different spec than the BE ARP.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 10:07 PM   #30
Green-Eggs
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfdeacon88 View Post
I am looking to have new RBs put on ASAP. I can't take it anymore waiting on BE to replenish... unless they are coming out in the next two weeks or so, I wanted to confirm that the BE-ARP bolts are also out of stock or can I get those now? I am trying to pair these bolts (bc many have said they are superior to OEM plus easier to install) with VAC increased clearance bearings. My car is an 09 E90 with 98.8K miles on it and I assume the original bearings. I have some potentially odd idle revs right now, and my paranoia has reached a peak to where I want to get it done ASAP, but I don't want to F-up the bolts. I feel like I'm driving a ticking time-bomb.

Can anyone share any information on when BE might restock and confirm that it's not within the next two weeks?
Bearing shells will arrive to Bert on Wednesday. It takes a few days to measure each shell thickness -- in keeping with BE quality control ethos. Bert says bearing sets to start rolling out the middle to end of next week.

Quote:

If BE-ARP bolts are out, then is it not the right call to go ahead and compromise with VAC and OEM bolts?

thanks!
Bolts come and go from the BE site. Being out of stock should never dissuade you from placing an order because I process credit card orders for BE, and we don't charge credit cards until the order ships. Orders are shipped on a first-come, first-served basis however. Once out of stock, people should start calling the BE vendors listed on their web site. For example...

If you needed to order today and ship tomorrow, call Silicon Valley Bimmer -- they still have some S65 sets of BE Bearings.

Quote:
edit: Here is what I see on the website. They just say "ARP S65 bolts" and don't specify BE-ARP. Also, the "Size" drop-down is confusing me .... anyone familiar? https://store.vacmotorsports.com/mob...s65-p3479.aspx
VAC does not sell BE products.

Last edited by Green-Eggs; 11-19-2018 at 10:12 PM..
Appreciate 1
wfdeacon881104.00
      11-19-2018, 10:08 PM   #31
Green-Eggs
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by serranot View Post
I think the VAC ARP are different spec than the BE ARP.
They are not only different specs, they give different results. You want as little bore distortion as possible. All of the specs, results, and graphs of bore distortion are available here.

http://wiki.rcollins.org/core/index..../S85_Rod_Bolts
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 10:09 PM   #32
wfdeacon88
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green-Eggs View Post
Quote:

Bearing shells will arrive on Wednesday. It takes a few days to measure each shell thickness -- in keeping with BE quality control ethos. I expect bearing sets to start rolling out the middle to end of next week.

Quote:

thanks!
Bolts come and go from the BE site. Being out of stock should never dissuade you from placing an order because credit cards aren't charged until the order ships. Orders are shipped on a first-come, first-served basis.

If you needed to order today and ship tomorrow, call Silicon Valley Bimmer -- they still have some S65 sets of BE Bearings.

Quote:
VAC does not sell BE products.
Much appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to provide this information. I will go for BE.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 06:49 AM   #33
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Obviously Green-Eggs know this inside out but another short clarification FWIW: ARP's so called "S65 bolts" are their ARP-625 bolts. These have a tad more clamping force, i.e. basically stronger/different metal alloy which in turn create more bore distortion. BE's bolts (also produced by ARP), have a tad less clamp force introducing less distortion (as well are a lower cost product).
From what we read the OEM bolts certainly does the job perfectly, BUT due to the procedure (turning 3 times incl last round with clock), it is fair to expect mistake to be made on their way in.
Appreciate 1
wfdeacon881104.00
      11-20-2018, 09:06 AM   #34
Scharbag
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Quote:
Obviously Green-Eggs know this inside out but another short clarification FWIW: ARP's so called "S65 bolts" are their ARP-625 bolts. These have a tad more clamping force, i.e. basically stronger/different metal alloy which in turn create more bore distortion. BE's bolts (also produced by ARP), have a tad less clamp force introducing less distortion (as well are a lower cost product).
From what we read the OEM bolts certainly does the job perfectly, BUT due to the procedure (turning 3 times incl last round with clock), it is fair to expect mistake to be made on their way in.
IIRC the factory bolts each requires 11 steps to torque properly. While they work just fine, I am sure I would screw up at least 1 of the 176 steps. That is why I bought BE ARP hardware.

2011 E92 M3 - 6MT, ZCP, ZF LSD, ESS G1, Some other goodies...
Appreciate 1
wfdeacon881104.00
      11-20-2018, 12:57 PM   #35
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I did the 11 steps with stock bolts times 16 bolts. No reason to screw it up. It is very simple. Just repetitive. For those paying for labor, it probably adds an hour — maybe 1.5 hours, which you could put towards the cost of ARP bolts. I have done 1 set of each and will probably use ARP next time.

Lang Racing uses Carrillo bolts and has a torque spec for those that it has tested. Also worth considering. And as I recall, VAC sells an ARP from another application that it recommends that is not the standard NewAge 625 material.
Appreciate 1
wfdeacon881104.00
      11-20-2018, 07:38 PM   #36
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scharbag View Post
This post is over in the Oil thread. After 50,000KM, they look exactly like a bearing should - not worn at all.

Cheers,
That's pretty good data there. I wonder what his original bearings looked like?

I went with WPC OEM with the intention on changing them out at 30k. I figure that I won't be as precise working off my back as the BMW would be so I'm accounting for some accelerated wear.

Then BE came out.

I can't think of a good reason not to go BE if not for the ability to gauge wear through oil analysis.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 1
wfdeacon881104.00