BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

01-05-2018, 01:45 PM   #1
that_grey_m3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 M3 6 spd

Smile Recommendations for short shift kits?

I am looking for something sharp and precise with minimal play between gears. The two shift kits I have narrowed it down to is Rogue Octane ssk or Bimmerworld solid race shifter.

Do any of you have any recommendations for a good and reliable SSK? I will most likely be replacing motor mounts too and getting a taller shift knob extension.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 05:50 PM   #2
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

AutoSolutions

Lots of info if you search a bit
Appreciate 2
      01-05-2018, 08:26 PM   #3
doogee
Major
Rep
Drives: '08 M3, '09 328xi Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by that_grey_m3 View Post
I am looking for something sharp and precise with minimal play between gears. The two shift kits I have narrowed it down to is Rogue Octane ssk or Bimmerworld solid race shifter.

Do any of you have any recommendations for a good and reliable SSK? I will most likely be replacing motor mounts too and getting a taller shift knob extension.
If you’re going with the Bimmerworld shifter you’ll need solid engine and transmission mounts. Which is fine if this car only sees the track. Otherwise that wouldn’t be a good choice.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 08:51 PM   #4
that_grey_m3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogee View Post
If you’re going with the Bimmerworld shifter you’ll need solid engine and transmission mounts. Which is fine if this car only sees the track. Otherwise that wouldn’t be a good choice.
Why would the BimmerWorld not be a good option for street use?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 08:54 PM   #5
doogee
Major
Rep
Drives: '08 M3, '09 328xi Sport Wagon

Quote:
Why would the BimmerWorld not be a good option for street use?
Solid engine and transmission mounts are no good on the street unless you want to wear earplugs and have your back vibrated to bits
Appreciate 2
      01-05-2018, 09:27 PM   #6
that_grey_m3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Solid engine and transmission mounts are no good on the street unless you want to wear earplugs and have your back vibrated to bits
Okay thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 10:26 PM   #7
McSwine
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmy23 View Post
AutoSolutions

Lots of info if you search a bit
Concur. Best money I've spent on my car.
Appreciate 2
      01-09-2018, 01:21 PM   #8
gaeng4665
Enlisted Member
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92

Quote:
Well i have solid ones ant i also use my m3 as a daily. I do not find it annoying but i might be special on this topic
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 01:22 PM   #9
gaeng4665
Enlisted Member
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92

Quote:

Just go with the CAE Shifter. There is no doubt about this shifter. Just the best...
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 02:38 PM   #10
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaeng4665 View Post
Well i have solid ones ant i also use my m3 as a daily. I do not find it annoying but i might be special on this topic
I have tried slightly harder, not solid, engine and trans mounts, and found them unpleasant for a daily driver. I tried Rogue motor mounts, which might be similar to Bimmerworld group N replicas, and Revshift 80A poly trans mounts. I TrueBlue them separately, not together, but doubt together would have helped.

For a track car or a car that is just street driven to the track, consider them. Or if you are young and want to make your car less comfortable and more race car like. You will feel the vibration at times.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 12:49 PM   #11
that_grey_m3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the input guys, I really do appreciate it! I am sure CAE is the best track option, but my m3 is not a track car (yet). After doing some research and searching, I have decided that I will be going with Auto Solutions! I also need a taller shift extension which I am still trying to decide on. I have the ZHP knob at the moment, but for fast spirited driving it is far too short in length which promotes a lot of arm/hand travel from the steering wheel to shifter.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 12:50 PM   #12
that_grey_m3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSwine View Post
Concur. Best money I've spent on my car.
Which percentage of shifter throw reduction did you end up going with? Also does your shifter sit any higher than stock? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 01:17 PM   #13
FazerBoy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

Quote:
Which percentage of shifter throw reduction did you end up going with? Also does your shifter sit any higher than stock? Thanks
Best thing is to call Ronald directly, his number is on the website.

He is a one-man band and will basically discuss your needs and driving style and custom-build your shifter.

Trust me, you will not regret it. I have one and it is way, way better than stock, and way better than the UUC SSK that I fitted and then removed to fit the AS one.

Jack
Appreciate 1
      01-10-2018, 03:11 PM   #14
that_grey_m3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FazerBoy View Post
Best thing is to call Ronald directly, his number is on the website.

He is a one-man band and will basically discuss your needs and driving style and custom-build your shifter.

Trust me, you will not regret it. I have one and it is way, way better than stock, and way better than the UUC SSK that I fitted and then removed to fit the AS one.

Jack

Ok thanks Jack. I was considering the Rogue Octane ssk earlier, but after comparing the two AS seems much better. There are several complaints I have seen from Rogue owners about their kit. I will give Ronald a call.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 03:16 PM   #15
FazerBoy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

Quote:
Ok thanks Jack. I was considering the Rogue Octane ssk earlier, but after comparing the two AS seems much better. There are several complaints I have seen from Rogue owners about their kit. I will give Ronald a call.
Give him my regards - Jack from London ;-)
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 04:19 PM   #16
McSwine
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
I told Ronald I wanted something on the somewhat conservative side and he suggested a 12% reduction. It sits about the same height, maybe a smidge lower.

Like someone else mentioned (not sure in this thread or not), I was more concerned with the shifter "feel" than a reduction in throw. It is a lot more precise and requires a lot less effort.
Appreciate 1