BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

07-31-2019, 09:37 AM   #419
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
Is this correct issues at the moment?
  • Lack of bass in Audio - I set my Hifi to lowest AUX gain, Tone set to max bass, 2-3 notches below max for treble. This SCREWS UP other sources tone to make it almost unusable.
  • large background noise from mic
  • Siri not working properly with mic?
  • Sometimes wireless connection does not connect. (I found this to be the case if I was near my home WiFi and it connected to my home one faster than the carplay Wifi during the BT negotiation to use the carplay wifi.
- Yes, though I haven't made extreme equalizer adjustments at this point given other audio sources. I did adjust the EQ in spotify and it helped a tiny bit. Still seems to be a kremersino issue overall.
- Yes
- Yes
- I'm not having this issue. Mine connects reliably every time.

Last edited by PACarGuy; 07-31-2019 at 09:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 01:54 PM   #420
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACarGuy View Post
- Yes, though I haven't made extreme equalizer adjustments at this point given other audio sources. I did adjust the EQ in spotify and it helped a tiny bit. Still seems to be a kremersino issue overall.
- Yes
- Yes
- I'm not having this issue. Mine connects reliably every time.

I explained these issues to Michael@Kremersino. I also asked what they were addressing in this update as "audio issues" is very ambiguous. I noticed Siri works fine when the car is stopped and the car is off. When its running and I'm driving, it doesn't seem to detect my voice over the background noise.. (I can see the Siri frequency waves bouncing a lot as if I was talking on the screen)
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 02:10 PM   #421
warp
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: 320i F31 LCI sport

I talked today to Michael from kremersino just before my order, and asked him about the audio fix.
Here is his answer :
"its not new cable, but new updates softwares for audio"
So it’s not like stated before a hardware (box or cables) upgrade.
Good or bad news...
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 02:15 PM   #422
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I explained these issues to Michael@Kremersino. I also asked what they were addressing in this update as "audio issues" is very ambiguous. I noticed Siri works fine when the car is stopped and the car is off. When its running and I'm driving, it doesn't seem to detect my voice over the background noise.. (I can see the Siri frequency waves bouncing a lot as if I was talking on the screen)
Thanks. Yes, I've also emailed Michael about the bass issue and mic quality and he said they are working on firmware updates. That was almost a week ago.

Siri works "OK" for me at stop lights but when voice texting, it makes too many mistakes. It's still not nearly good enough for my liking and phone calls over Carplay are simply unacceptable. In the meantime I handle all calls over factory bluetooth, which can still be controlled via Carplay interface.
      07-31-2019, 07:58 PM   #423
coniman
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 '12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dextersl View Post
Question for everyone. Was there a sticky backing on the back of the attennas that we are supposed to peel off and stick to the back of the unit? Looks like it in coniman's picture:
Yes, mine have stickers.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 08:05 PM   #424
coniman
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 '12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beven32 View Post
Try: 68612

I managed to get into factory settings with this code. Changed audio profiles, And still no improvement to the sound quality I was told by my seller today that they are working on a new cable that will fix this maybe.
It’s not working. . BTW Michael from Kremersino told me the update should be finished this week. But who knows
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 08:29 PM   #425
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

I wonder if Michael knows we are all talking to each other.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 09:26 PM   #426
dextersl
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d MSport Le-Mans Blue

Ok, finally had a chance to take an extended drive with my unit and I am very happy with it so far!
But I can concur with the rest of you on the following:

-The call quality via carplay mic is definitely subpar compared to the factory mic. Right now I am Ok switching to the factory Bluetooth to take and make calls.
-Bass is not as pronounced in carplay as it is through the native idrive system, but the music quality is still good.

Neither one of these are deal breakers for me as this is so far beyond what I had before as far as convenience and accessibility to waze, my podcasts, music apps, etc. Also I got the chance to respond to texts via Siri and I thought the experience was pretty good but their were sometimes when I had to repeat/correct the text because Siri did not record correctly.

All this being said I would still like to see some type of fix to these imperfections, but if nothing else changed I believe I could live with it as is.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 03:05 AM   #427
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dextersl View Post
-The call quality via carplay mic is definitely subpar compared to the factory mic. Right now I am Ok switching to the factory Bluetooth to take and make calls.
-Bass is not as pronounced in carplay as it is through the native idrive system, but the music quality is still good.

Neither one of these are deal breakers for me as this is so far beyond what I had before as far as convenience and accessibility to waze, my podcasts, music apps, etc.
My experience and assessment as well. Very pleased with it overall.

Switching my audio and calls over to BT streaming/phone solves the audio quality for me too.

Last edited by MJBO; 08-01-2019 at 03:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 07:54 AM   #428
Beven32
Rep
Drives: bmw f10

Quote:
Originally Posted by warp View Post
I talked today to Michael from kremersino just before my order, and asked him about the audio fix.
Here is his answer :
"its not new cable, but new updates softwares for audio"
So it’s not like stated before a hardware (box or cables) upgrade.
Good or bad news...
My seller has told me that they have fixed the sound issues with a new cable they will send me this week. So I am not to sure what to believe.

I will report my progress.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 11:00 AM   #429
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBO View Post

Switching my audio and calls over to BT streaming/phone solves the audio quality for me too.
I haven't yet tried BT streaming since I think I have to re-enable BT audio from the TEL menu every time (it doesn't show up in AUX-External Devices). I'm curious how this would work with Siri, text notifications, etc..

Last edited by PACarGuy; 08-01-2019 at 02:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 03:19 PM   #430
M BROK3
Major
Rep
Drives: F95 , G80 M3, F80 M3, E92 M3

rear view cam

Anyone tried hooking up a rear view camera tot he car play box (Kremersino).

I plugged one in using the 12v power supply but can't get it to work

COTM Pics Here
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 03:35 PM   #431
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
I want to buy one of these boxes for testing but I don't have a CIC. I would chop the aftermarket mic off and solder in a 3 pin connector for the OEM mic in the roof module. Then I would grab another CD changer emulator box and wire in the aux for the carplay box into the emulator. Thus having a 100% clean install.

Normally with the car systems adapters they provide switched power for the rvc. Does the carplay box provide power for the rvc as well?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 05:21 PM   #432
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

I haven't yet tried BT streaming since I think I have to re-enable BT audio from the TEL menu every time (it doesn't show up in AUX-External Devices). I'm curious how this would work with Siri, text notifications, etc..
I'll spend a bit more time working out the ins and outs of these various configs when I get home in a week.

Also just did the iOS 13 dev beta 5 update, curious whether that has an effect on my auto connection issue.
Appreciate 1
PACarGuy680.50
      08-01-2019, 05:22 PM   #433
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickco43 View Post
I want to buy one of these boxes for testing but I don't have a CIC. I would chop the aftermarket mic off and solder in a 3 pin connector for the OEM mic in the roof module. Then I would grab another CD changer emulator box and wire in the aux for the carplay box into the emulator. Thus having a 100% clean install.

Normally with the car systems adapters they provide switched power for the rvc. Does the carplay box provide power for the rvc as well?
Confused by your post, if you don't have CIC, do you have iDrive at all?

The stock install is very clean, nothing at all visible from the outside, not sure how chopping up connectors is going to improve that.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 10:20 PM   #434
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3

Quote:
Then I would grab another CD changer emulator box and wire in the aux for the carplay box into the emulator.
This was my thought as well. I've seen it mentioned somewhere that the factory Aux input sound is degraded due to something in the actual Aux circuitry. I was thinking running it through a CD changer emulator would eliminate this degradation. Do you know anything about this?

I haven't ordered one of these carplay units yet - been waiting to see how each model (joyeauto, kremisino, and the unichip) play out for a bit before I order one.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 12:05 AM   #435
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:

This sounds like a great idea for the OE mic. I might just buy a new mic to add to the passenger side.

If the issue is before the AUX line like the DAC, I think you will run into garbage in, garbage no matter how clean the output setup is.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 12:42 AM   #436
Beven32
Rep

Quote:
This sounds like a great idea for the OE mic. I might just buy a new mic to add to the passenger side.

If the issue is before the AUX line like the DAC, I think you will run into garbage in, garbage no matter how clean the output setup is.
I hate to admit it, But I think you are right debro. It sound's like a poor DAC, and any firmware updates or revisions to cables are not going to help.

But I will wait and see. If this new cable does not fix it like they say it has. I will be getting a refund. I have invested over 2k into audio upgrades and the poor sound from the carplay box is not going to cut it.

They said the new "double insulated cable" will be shipped to me before the end of the week. I will update everyone on my progress.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 12:45 AM   #437
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

I would assume they are shipping you a new main cable that isn't the LVDS one?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 04:48 AM   #438
Beven32
Rep

Quote:
I would assume they are shipping you a new main cable that isn't the LVDS one?
Correct.
Fingers crossed it works. Although I do have my doubts.

I just find it hard to believe they could produce somthing that sounds so bad when it's main use is multimedia.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 06:04 AM   #439
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'll spend a bit more time working out the ins and outs of these various configs when I get home in a week.

Also just did the iOS 13 dev beta 5 update, curious whether that has an effect on my auto connection issue.
Actually spent a few minutes last night trying the Bluetooth streaming audio option and it worked pretty well. High quality sound with bass restored. I might just go with this for the time being.
      08-02-2019, 09:05 AM   #440
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Actually spent a few minutes last night trying the Bluetooth streaming audio option and it worked pretty well. High quality sound with bass restored. I might just go with this for the time being.
My feeling as well in the brief time I got to try it. Completely solved the flat bass while retaining the functionality and control offered by CarPlay.
Appreciate 1
PACarGuy680.50