BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Watches

12-27-2011, 12:50 PM   #1211
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the snake View Post
Did you get your Reverso?

I'm looking at getting another watch soon. Trying to educate myself, as there's just so many.

I'm looking in the 3 to 5 range. There's a bunch of styles I like. I already have my Sub, but I can live with another diver's style, also looking at Ball, IWC, Panerai, or possibly a hand-wind artisan skeleton.

I found an Omega 1969 Pre-Moon Speedmaster that looks very nice.
should be arriving at the shop in 7-10 days, I'm expecting closer to 10 with New Years on the horizon. Can't wait though!!!

There's a lot to choose from on the market, find one that you are passionate about, don't justify it to anyone but yourself.

I've heard some poor things about Paneri, but it still has a huge following, and does make a great looking piece.

IWC the deal with them is basically go for the Big Pilot only (from reading multiple sources. Basically saying the Big Pilot is the exception, the rest of the line is "just another watch"

The Speedmaster is a great looking watch from all generations. The Speedmaster Professional hand wind is what I have my sights on for the next watch. Very reasonably priced, and nice looking on the wrist. The face is a great size.

Check out the 25 tips list I posted on the previous page or two, might help out with your next purchase.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 04:28 PM   #1212
mact3333
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' YMB/Blk F82

Alot of bad vibes going on about Panerai when someone took apart their exclusive Panerai and found a mediocre ETA or Valjoux movement inside of it.

The high end watch companies make their own movements.

That is why Jaeger LeCoultre has such a following cause many of the major watch companies used to get their movements from JLC.

Breitling just started making their own movements for their high end watches recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
should be arriving at the shop in 7-10 days, I'm expecting closer to 10 with New Years on the horizon. Can't wait though!!!

There's a lot to choose from on the market, find one that you are passionate about, don't justify it to anyone but yourself.

I've heard some poor things about Paneri, but it still has a huge following, and does make a great looking piece.

IWC the deal with them is basically go for the Big Pilot only (from reading multiple sources. Basically saying the Big Pilot is the exception, the rest of the line is "just another watch"

The Speedmaster is a great looking watch from all generations. The Speedmaster Professional hand wind is what I have my sights on for the next watch. Very reasonably priced, and nice looking on the wrist. The face is a great size.

Check out the 25 tips list I posted on the previous page or two, might help out with your next purchase.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 04:39 PM   #1213
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mact3333 View Post
Alot of bad vibes going on about Panerai when someone took apart their exclusive Panerai and found a mediocre ETA or Valjoux movement inside of it.

That is why Jaeger LeCoultre has such a following cause many of the major watch companies used to get their movements from JLC.

Breitling just started making their own movements for their high end watches recently.
My dad is a Paneri collector (7 total) and i approached him on this subject.

his reply was to pay more attention to which Pam's he had. 2 of them had a pretty run of the mill ETA movement, but were both limited editions, one was i believe a limited run of between 5 and 20 (he has a few limiteds) which made it justifiable to him. And interestingly, one of his Pam's had a JLC movement inside.

This made me feel slightly better about his choices in that he was putting thought into it rather then just buying something pretty. (no offence to anyone with one, I do like them, I just want in house movements)

My dad then went on to tell me that, only recently Paneri has begun to make their own movements. So i guess it's one of those things to keep an eye on for the future. I think this could be what saves/improves the brand.

But at this point in time, the only way i'll be wearing them is when my dad decides to give them to me, or I inherit them. Though the future may tell a different story.

I am curious about his JLC PAM however

The reason I'm going for the JLC is because the more research I do on different watch companies, the more i see the JLC movements showing up. They aren't exactly showing up in low end watches either. So i figured, why not get one that is very unique and with a reliable movement.

The reverso duo marks the first big watch investment for my collection, I see this as my "Rolex" equivilent (though some will argue one way or the other)

How are you enjoying your new JLC mact333???
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 08:18 AM   #1214
TREE3FIFE
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335I

I'm nowhere near the status of some of you, but I wear a Bell & Ross 03-92 phantom or my SS 03-92.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 08:42 AM   #1215
carve
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

So I just upgraded to this...

It actually looks much better in person. It's has a touch-sensitive face, and unless you look at it straight on it looks almost like an smooth, onyx black watch face. The bezel is silver. Has all the features as my old Ironman.

Last edited by carve; 12-29-2011 at 04:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 03:48 PM   #1216
N900WM
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

Submariner
Sometimes my Casio Pathfinder

06 760i, Meistershaft GT exhaust
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 04:34 PM   #1217
RevsPlease
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i, Black Saphire

Garage List
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [10.00]
I'm a watch noob but I'm thinking of picking up a nice automatic in the near future. I was thinking of a Breitling Superocean Heritage with the ocean racer strap. Can any of you watch pros give me any good suggestions along those lines?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 12:22 AM   #1218
SPB PELICAN
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

if its just going to school and ish like that I wear this
http://www.nixonnow.com/watches/mens...rono-A037.html (in gold)

And if its a special occasion I wear my explorer ii
http://www.rolex.com/en#/rolex-watch...i/introduction
      12-30-2011, 09:17 AM   #1219
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Gray

Before I go to my jeweler (who I do not have any sort of relationship with), let me ask you guys something. Please excuse my lack of knowledge...

I have the Baume in the photo and it has an automatic movement that keeps it ticking. I keep it in a watch winder that spins the watch every 30 minutes. I wear it once in a while and the time is always off after sitting for a few weeks.

Is the problem with the watch innerds or the winder?

12-30-2011, 10:58 AM   #1220
mike the snake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

I'm new to watch collecting, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night. Automatic watches don't always hold exact time over long periods from what I've gathered. My new Rolex is a minute fast after a week or 2, worn all the time. Only the Quartz watches are known for being super accurate. Most Swiss watches need to be accurate to -4 and +6 seconds per day to be certified if I'm not mistaken. Automatics, don't always have the same state of winding, and can vary in accuracy due to this, and other reasons like the position they sit in.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 11:01 AM   #1221
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick6EF View Post
Before I go to my jeweler (who I do not have any sort of relationship with), let me ask you guys something. Please excuse my lack of knowledge...

I have the Baume in the photo and it has an automatic movement that keeps it ticking. I keep it in a watch winder that spins the watch every 30 minutes. I wear it once in a while and the time is always off after sitting for a few weeks.

Is the problem with the watch innerds or the winder?

Off by how much? Mechanicals aren't known for absolute consistency/accuracy. Unless it's wayyy off it's just the nature of the watch
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 11:26 AM   #1222
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the snake View Post
I'm new to watch collecting, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night. Automatic watches don't always hold exact time over long periods from what I've gathered. My new Rolex is a minute fast after a week or 2, worn all the time. Only the Quartz watches are known for being super accurate. Most Swiss watches need to be accurate to -4 and +6 seconds per day to be certified if I'm not mistaken. Automatics, don't always have the same state of winding, and can vary in accuracy due to this, and other reasons like the position they sit in.
Thanks for the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
Off by how much? Mechanicals aren't known for absolute consistency/accuracy. Unless it's wayyy off it's just the nature of the watch

Off by a few hours usually. Clearly I assumed the winder would keep it accurate.

Oh well, still love that piece.
      12-30-2011, 11:35 AM   #1223
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
a few hours...I guess it depends on how long it takes to get this far off...whether on the winder or your wrist. I don't know much about winders, but over on WUS I have read comments about winders that they can certainly be a "get what you pay for" thing, that more expensive ones aren't just because of fancy wood cases or anything like that. But again, don't know enough to comment really. The watch manual might give an accepted variation in timekeeping for the movement, something like +/- 5sec per minute or something, so you could estimate how much might be considered acceptable over the period of time you aren't wearing it (this variation would exist even if you are wearing it everyday). Another thing to consider is the age/last service. It may be time for some maintenance if it's running markedly fast or slow, but I Would rule out normal operation/variation first.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 01:14 PM   #1224
matthewk
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X6MC, 2022 M5C

Quote:

Panerai only recently started making movements in-house and those have not found their way into all of their currently available models. This isn't anything new, and it's not uncommon for most "high-end" watch companies. Saying "The high end watch companies make their own movements.", is an exaggeration and generally not the case. That said the example you gave above about the bad vibes, is true, well to a point. The model in question was a limited model and when it was opened, there was in-fact an ETA movement inside. However the ETA movement wasn't the issue as it was the expected movement, what caused the riff was that Panerai typically pretties up the movement e.g. engraving, design, special screws etc. and in this case it was plain out of the box movement. The watch wasn't an exhibition back so one could argue what's the difference, but I understand the frustration.. You can read all about it on paneristi.

Truth is until your in the neighborhood with Vacheron Constantin, Patek Philipe, boutique two plus axis tourbillons and the likes you're not really talking high end, so the argument about JLC, Breitling, Rolex, IWC, Panerai, etc about being high-end is pretty moot.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 07:05 PM   #1225
mact3333
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' YMB/Blk F82

A Lange Sohne, JLC, Audemars Piguet, Patek all make their own mvts and considered to be elite imho...Rolex, Breitling, Panerai, IWC, etc are a notch below...but much of it is subjective.

Agree about what you said about Panerai fiasco...not the ETA but that they didnt even bother to dress it up.

For me, Im not paying(anymore) over 5 K for a watch that doesnt make their own mvts in house but thats just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewk View Post
Panerai only recently started making movements in-house and those have not found their way into all of their currently available models. This isn't anything new, and it's not uncommon for most "high-end" watch companies. Saying "The high end watch companies make their own movements.", is an exaggeration and generally not the case. That said the example you gave above about the bad vibes, is true, well to a point. The model in question was a limited model and when it was opened, there was in-fact an ETA movement inside. However the ETA movement wasn't the issue as it was the expected movement, what caused the riff was that Panerai typically pretties up the movement e.g. engraving, design, special screws etc. and in this case it was plain out of the box movement. The watch wasn't an exhibition back so one could argue what's the difference, but I understand the frustration.. You can read all about it on paneristi.

Truth is until your in the neighborhood with Vacheron Constantin, Patek Philipe, boutique two plus axis tourbillons and the likes you're not really talking high end, so the argument about JLC, Breitling, Rolex, IWC, Panerai, etc about being high-end is pretty moot.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 07:18 PM   #1226
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:

I wouldn't put Breitling and to a lesser extent, Panerai, in the same category as all those. Pam only just started doing their own movements, and Breitling doesn't bother. You're paying the the case. Which can be pretty nice.

JLC is considered to be one of the best movements, which is why they have been found in some of the high end watches (like a specific Pam) But comparing an ETA/Valjoux movement to a JLC and Rolex is in a different category, and that's why i wouldn't include Pam and Breitling.

Funny thing is, even Rolex has outsourced (only once that i've found in my research.) It used a Zenith movement one of the the watches. They actually had a version with their own movement and one with the zenith, and in the used market, people will pay more for the Zenith movement because in this specific case, it is considered to be the better movement. (I'll see if i can find which watch.)

Quote:
A Lange Sohne, JLC, Audemars Piguet, Patek all make their own mvts and considered to be elite imho...Rolex, Breitling, Panerai, IWC, etc are a notch below...but much of it is subjective.

Agree about what you said about Panerai fiasco...not the ETA but that they didnt even bother to dress it up.

For me, Im not paying(anymore) over 5 K for a watch that doesnt make their own mvts in house but thats just me.
Agreed, even 3500 and not in house movement is pushing it for me. It's just a dressed up case that you're paying for. But there are some good companies under 5k which do their own movements, but few and far between. And you'd be lucky to find people who sell them. Eg. Namos
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 08:22 PM   #1227
matthewk
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
JLC is considered to be one of the best movements, which is why they have been found in some of the high end watches (like a specific Pam) But comparing an ETA/Valjoux movement to a JLC and Rolex is in a different category, and that's why i wouldn't include Pam and Breitling.
Depends on what exactly you're comparing. It's arguable that the high end ETA movements are better than the offerings from JLC and Rolex. I mean if you're just comparing movement to movement....

Quote:
Funny thing is, even Rolex has outsourced (only once that i've found in my research.) It used a Zenith movement one of the the watches. They actually had a version with their own movement and one with the zenith, and in the used market, people will pay more for the Zenith movement because in this specific case, it is considered to be the better movement. (I'll see if i can find which watch.)
Daytona

Quote:
Agreed, even 3500 and not in house movement is pushing it for me. It's just a dressed up case that you're paying for. But there are some good companies under 5k which do their own movements, but few and far between. And you'd be lucky to find people who sell them. Eg. Namos
Swatch?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 08:25 PM   #1228
matthewk
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Shame I left A Lange Sohne out of my comments. Fine watch, worth noting.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 09:17 PM   #1229
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Swatch?
Swatch at this point in time is working hard to turn things around, but i would exclude them from a lot of these debates at this point in time. Their movements are sound, but they are like a Honda Accord. They are everywhere, they are reliable, there's nothing wrong with them, they are just nothing special.

I have a Hamilton with a Swatch ETA in it. I'm wearing it right now, but it's not special, as it's the same movement i can find in a Tag that's 2k more expensive, yes, maybe they dressed the movement up a tiny bit to make it niceer looking, but it's not special in any way. It's also the same movement that will be found in some Breitlings and etc.

What you find in a JLC, Patek, Lange, Glashout, and etc, is special because every part was made for a specific watch, or series of watches, to serve a sole purpose, not to service the masses.

That's my problem with an ETA. I'll not badmouth an ETA, it works well, it's been proven for years, it will continue to work for years. But it's not a feat of engineering.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 09:22 PM   #1230
matthewk
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
Swatch at this point in time is working hard to turn things around, but i would exclude them from a lot of these debates at this point in time. Their movements are sound, but they are like a Honda Accord. They are everywhere, they are reliable, there's nothing wrong with them, they are just nothing special.

I have a Hamilton with a Swatch ETA in it. I'm wearing it right now, but it's not special, as it's the same movement i can find in a Tag that's 2k more expensive, yes, maybe they dressed the movement up a tiny bit to make it niceer looking, but it's not special in any way. It's also the same movement that will be found in some Breitlings and etc.

What you find in a JLC, Patek, Lange, Glashout, and etc, is special because every part was made for a specific watch, or series of watches, to serve a sole purpose, not to service the masses.

That's my problem with an ETA. I'll not badmouth an ETA, it works well, it's been proven for years, it will continue to work for years. But it's not a feat of engineering .
I wholeheartedly agree with the above. But it's worth considering: Sometimes, working well and knowing you will work well for years to come, is a feat of engineering in and of itself.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 09:29 PM   #1231
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I wholeheartedly agree with the above. But it's worth considering: Sometimes, working well and knowing you will work well for years to come, is a feat of engineering in and of itself.
best way i can describe it for myself i guess would be

Aston Martin V8 vantage vs. Porsche carerra 2S

you just know the Carerra is reliable great performer, but you know it's been mass produce. There are 20 difference versions of the same car, just all with different wheel arches and body kits.

The Aston on the other hand, has been hand built from top to bottom, it performs (arguably) as well, but, it's special, there are few versions, it's more rare.

I hope to own a Carerra one day (hopefully a turbo, i like the torque) But it's not the car i will lust over for life. For that it will be a Ferrari, and Aston, or a Lambo.

But again, I'm passionate about cars, like watches, I want purity. And my Hamilton with it's ETA (shared with so many others) is just another decent hard working daily driver that i can rely on day to day to keep decent time for me. But it's never going to turn me on
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 02:20 PM   #1232
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP

I'm debating purchasing one of these two watches:

Burberry Chronograph Sports Watch

Tag Heuer Aquaracer Calibre 16 Day-Date Automatic Chronograph

Obviously they are a different price-range. The Burberry I can buy now (~$700)... the Tag I would need to save up for (~$2100). So, the question is... is it worth saving up for?

What do you guys think? Right now I have a nice TX T3C313, but the band has ripped and I'm told that I can't get a factory replacement band for it. So, I'm looking to replace that watch altogether.