BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

07-16-2009, 05:17 PM   #23
BHairsto
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M2

Garage List
2016 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmerk1978 View Post
thank you, i never had an issue with 360, it was my lack of knowledge and trust in the forum that led to buying the PS2's...When i should of asked 360 what size tire they recommend for my wheels
Don't blame yourself too much. I happen to think that custom wheel manufacturers/vendors should take a few minutes while processing these $4K-$7K (and over) orders to do their customers a service and advise customers of specific fitment issues, especially when it comes down to choosing a few acceptable brands/sizes out of many possibilities. It would save a lot of headaches for both parties. The wheel companies hold themselves out as experts on precise fitments, and many consumers don't even know or think to ask such questions.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2009, 05:24 PM   #24
m34jlp
Wheel Whore
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY F82 M4

i dont remember exactly, but i believe it has been talked about on other threads...couldve been Modulare Forged or Klassen...i really dont recall but i am 100% sure there are more than a couple who do this
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2009, 05:28 PM   #25
m34jlp
Wheel Whore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHairsto View Post
Don't blame yourself too much. I happen to think that custom wheel manufacturers/vendors should take a few minutes while processing these $4K-$7K (and over) orders to do their customers a service and advise customers of specific fitment issues, especially when it comes down to choosing a few acceptable brands/sizes out of many possibilities. It would save a lot of headaches for both parties. The wheel companies hold themselves out as experts on precise fitments, and many consumers don't even know or think to ask such questions.
+1

Many companies should atleast tell you up front the tires they usually use. I imagine they dont want to be held accountable if it doesn't fit.

Honestly though we are talking about mm in diffrence this is only an issue if you are going with extreme offsets where every mm counts. If you get an offset that isnt too aggresive these tire size differences arent even an issue. if you want to be extreme there are always going to be issues whether it be with tires, wheels, ecu tuning...price we pay

edit: I remember a thread saying companies such as HRE dont really accept custom offset orders frequently. They have a mild offset fitment so these tire diffenreces arent an issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2009, 05:43 PM   #26
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHairsto View Post
Your post hits the bullseye.

The only 'flaw' in your post...is the assumption that they actually CARE whether or not you get the fitment you are looking for at the end of the day. Most of the time...they don't.

99% of the time the retailer won't even ask you about any other modifications that you have done to your car, or any future modifications that are pending. That conversation changes the entire decision making process. You have to factor wheel & tire sizing into a much more complex formula, in order to avoid some very disappointing results.

You must factor in all the variables such as wheel diameter, wheel width, offsets, tire section width, lowering springs or coilover suspension settings, aftermarket brake caliper clearance, lock-to-lock turning clearance for the front wheels, provisions for extra passengers and luggage that might cause rubbing, etc, ect, etc...

You have to anticipate these things in advance. All too often, it simply comes down to achieving an 'aggressive look' that someone likes.

The custom wheel manufacturers are all too eager to give you exactly what you want, without delivering the sobering reality of what that decision could mean for you later on.

As far as I'm concerned, it's irresponsible not to at least advise the customer of the potential pitfalls that may come to pass by pushing the envelope.

just my .02...
      07-16-2009, 05:54 PM   #27
dmerk1978
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e 90 m3 sedan aw

Garage List
2009 red bad ass wagon  [10.00]
2008 E90  [0.00]
2007 Denali  [0.00]
2006 550i  [0.00]
2004 clk 500  [0.00]
so with that being said, is anyone interested in a brand new set of PS2's 305/25/20 & 255/30/20, never used just test fitted....in PASADENA, CA ( the center of the world)
      07-16-2009, 06:07 PM   #28
10M3MAN
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Nissan Altima SER

Wow and Im going to order a set from 360 forged.... good reading I will ask TONS of questions though... hopefully things work out right...
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2009, 06:09 PM   #29
Lemans_Blue_M
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m34jlp View Post
i dont remember exactly, but i believe it has been talked about on other threads...couldve been Modulare Forged or Klassen...i really dont recall but i am 100% sure there are more than a couple who do this
I was hoping for some better examples. Those aren't mainstream premier wheel brands. (in my book anyway)

I don't know of a single major wheel brand that withholds the offsets of their wheels...

The only morons that pull this crap, are the modular wheel companies who actually think they're special.

And to clarify...I mean a wheel company that won't even tell you in a private e-mail or phone call.

Not publishing them for the world to see is one thing...

But asking someone to fork over $3000-$6000 for a set of wheels, and telling them they can't know what the offset values are is a joke.

I'll never understand why anyone would accept that crap.

When BBS or VOLK start doing this, then maybe I'll revise my position.

Until then, any wheel company that feeds me the "You don't need to know the offsets" crap...can kiss my ass.

Haven't we seen enough threads over the years, which have shown us all the fitment problems that can result from NOT knowing the specific offsets?

BTW: This will never change, until the wheel buying public starts canceling orders because of this ridiculous (and frankly selfish) tactic. Watch how quickly they change their mind about withholding this vital information from us...
      07-16-2009, 06:18 PM   #30
m34jlp
Wheel Whore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post
I was hoping for some better examples. Those aren't mainstream premier wheel brands. (in my book anyway)

I don't know of a single major wheel brand that withholds the offsets of their wheels...

The only morons that pull this crap, are the modular wheel companies who actually think they're special.

And to clarify...I mean a wheel company that won't even tell you in a private e-mail or phone call.

Not publishing them for the world to see is one thing...

But asking someone to fork over $3000-$6000 for a set of wheels, and telling them they can't know what the offset values are is a joke.

I'll never understand why anyone would accept that crap.

When BBS or VOLK start doing this, then maybe I'll revise my position.

Until then, any wheel company that feeds me the "You don't need to know the offsets" crap...can kiss my ass.

Haven't we seen enough threads over the years, which have shown us all the fitment problems that can result from NOT knowing the specific offsets?

BTW: This will never change, until the wheel buying public starts canceling orders because of this ridiculous (and frankly selfish) tactic. Watch how quickly they change their mind about withholding this vital information from us...
i agree with you, but i dont know of many companies who offer extremely aggresive fitments that actually release their offset # (i could be wrong but i havent seen it)

only bbs, volk, etc who have mild offsets (except for that one wheel from bbs that almost doesnt fit unless u use other equipment (camber plates on a coilover)
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2009, 06:50 PM   #31
Lemans_Blue_M
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m34jlp View Post
i agree with you, but i dont know of many companies who offer extremely aggressive fitments that actually release their offset # (i could be wrong but i havent seen it)

only bbs, volk, etc who have mild offsets (except for that one wheel from bbs that almost doesnt fit unless u use other equipment (camber plates on a coilover)
Actually, BBS and VOLK both offer standard fitment (mild offset) and 'tuner' fitment (aggressive offset) wheels that cover a wide variety of high performance cars. Regardless of the fitment chosen, they still tell you the offset value. (no games)

HRE will tell you the offsets of your new wheels as well. (if you request it)

Maybe someone else could chime in with the name of a wheel company that does withhold the offset values from their paying customers?

1. 360 Forged
2. ?
      07-16-2009, 07:58 PM   #32
BHairsto
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M2

Garage List
2016 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post
Actually, BBS and VOLK both offer standard fitment (mild offset) and 'tuner' fitment (aggressive offset) wheels that cover a wide variety of high performance cars. Regardless of the fitment chosen, they still tell you the offset value. (no games)

HRE will tell you the offsets of your new wheels as well. (if you request it)

Maybe someone else could chime in with the name of a wheel company that does withhold the offset values from their paying customers?

1. 360 Forged
2. ?
1. 360 Forged
2. DPE

I had a pretty nasty fallout with them over rear offsets that were way too aggressive on my 335 sedan (the rims protruded beyond the fender). They would not tell me the nominal offset, and put my installer through a complicated measurement routine to verify that they did not build the wheels to spec. I presume some of these companies don't want to release the number because it would be easier for customers to prove when a wheel is out of spec.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2009, 03:19 AM   #33
onefastdoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmerk1978 View Post
i put these on my new wheels........and they rub in the front on turns and the rear quarter panels with know body in the car...so pissed ...1500 bucks on ps2's now what
255 front and 305 rear? Am I the only one that doesn't get why people are trying to make their cars understeer even more. The ideal track setup seems to be a square set (i.e., 265 front and rear) or close to it. In stock form with 245 front and 265 rear, the car understeers slightly. It seems like a lot of people on the forum are going with 245 front and 285, 295, and even 305 rear which makes no sense to me. That would take you from mild understeer to horrible understeer (unless everyone is going with massive front camber and a stiff rear swaybar to counteract this). I guess this is just a case of aesthetics over performance?
2008 E90 M3 sold
2007 E92 335i (369whp, 354wtq) sold
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2009, 03:38 AM   #34
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by onefastdoc View Post
255 front and 305 rear? Am I the only one that doesn't get why people are trying to make their cars understeer even more. The ideal track setup seems to be a square set (i.e., 265 front and rear) or close to it. In stock form with 245 front and 265 rear, the car understeers slightly. It seems like a lot of people on the forum are going with 245 front and 285, 295, and even 305 rear which makes no sense to me. That would take you from mild understeer to horrible understeer (unless everyone is going with massive front camber and a stiff rear swaybar to counteract this). I guess this is just a case of aesthetics over performance?
You can't go off tire size and say since it's 265 in the rear and 245 in the front, it understeers slightly. The roll bars and body weight also determine this. I find the stock setup very neutral, and with a square setup it would really be leaning towards being extra tail happy.

305 rear with 255 front will induce some serious understeer. But something LIke 245 front, and 285 rear I think will just make it more stable but less tail happy than the stock setup.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2009, 03:39 AM   #35
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedtwin View Post
Go with 245-30 & 285-30. If you use Nito Invo, you can do 255-30 but that's the only 255 that I know won't cause rubbing on liner.
My 255/35/19 Nitto INVO's rub when I turn full left, and only left.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2009, 02:46 PM   #36
onefastdoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post
You can't go off tire size and say since it's 265 in the rear and 245 in the front, it understeers slightly. The roll bars and body weight also determine this. I find the stock setup very neutral, and with a square setup it would really be leaning towards being extra tail happy.

305 rear with 255 front will induce some serious understeer. But something LIke 245 front, and 285 rear I think will just make it more stable but less tail happy than the stock setup.
I'm not saying the car understeers because of the 245 front/265 rear setup. During autocrossing, the car understeers a little with this stock setup, so many prefer a square setup. Personally, I would still take a little understeer for tracks like Willow Springs where I certainly don't want a tail happy car (I've had some scary moments at Willow). However, the 255/305 combo sounds a little silly. 255/285 might not be too bad. I think a 275 all around would be a wicked setup for autocross.
2008 E90 M3 sold
2007 E92 335i (369whp, 354wtq) sold
Appreciate 0