BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos
 
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-06-2018, 08:30 PM   #1
Questofthetune
Captain
Questofthetune's Avatar
402
Rep
723
Posts

Drives: 14 AW M235i
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: SFL

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2014 BMW 235i  [0.00]
Anyone have experience DDing an R8?

So eventually my 235 will die. I accept this. I do however have a huge spot in my heart for the Audi R8 (I like the V8 first generation due to a manual available).

Iíll be in a position to afford one likely in about 3 - 5 years time (with repairs taken into consideration of course).

My question is does anyone have any experience daily driving one? Iím not a fan of multiple cars and weekend toys- I drive my cars and rack up miles I have no interest in preserving any car I ever own since I see them as depreciating assets regardless.

I really want a good handle on expected break downs, etc.

I know there are better cars in that 120k ish range but thatís been my bedroom poster car and thereís something about it to me.
__________________
2014 AW M235i
Jb4, Spacers, BMS intake, (Soon) BMS meth and ER CP,
extra dirty rims.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 09:43 PM   #2
Wakka
but no flokka
Wakka's Avatar
United_States
163
Rep
591
Posts

Drives: M240
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tampa

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questofthetune View Post
So eventually my 235 will die. I accept this. I do however have a huge spot in my heart for the Audi R8 (I like the V8 first generation due to a manual available).

Iíll be in a position to afford one likely in about 3 - 5 years time (with repairs taken into consideration of course).

My question is does anyone have any experience daily driving one? Iím not a fan of multiple cars and weekend toys- I drive my cars and rack up miles I have no interest in preserving any car I ever own since I see them as depreciating assets regardless.

I really want a good handle on expected break downs, etc.

I know there are better cars in that 120k ish range but thatís been my bedroom poster car and thereís something about it to me.
I dont have one nor do i have experience owning one, but there is a dude that lives in my building that drives his every single day. He seems to be having a blast in it.
__________________
M-Sport, 6MT, Hardwired V1, StopTech Sportpack, Perf. Intake, Perf. Exhaust, AFE Scoops, Perf. Carbon Spoiler, Perf. Carbon Diffuser, Enkei RPF1's, Conti Extreme DW's, PSSK, CDV Delete, E46 Trans Mounts, Perf. Pedals

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
Entourage sucks. BTM hates everything
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 10:54 PM   #3
Questofthetune
Captain
Questofthetune's Avatar
402
Rep
723
Posts

Drives: 14 AW M235i
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: SFL

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2014 BMW 235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakka View Post
I dont have one nor do i have experience owning one, but there is a dude that lives in my building that drives his every single day. He seems to be having a blast in it.
I seriously see the same guys around work day in and day out driving thiers too (2 guys who clearly know each other / Park together daily)

Iím thinking it might not be such a horribly bad idea
__________________
2014 AW M235i
Jb4, Spacers, BMS intake, (Soon) BMS meth and ER CP,
extra dirty rims.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 02:30 AM   #4
P1et
Major General
P1et's Avatar
United_States
3515
Rep
8,013
Posts

Drives: my wife's cars
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Texas

iTrader: (1)

My brother’s daily is an R8 GT. Leaves it parked outside and all.
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2018, 09:51 AM   #5
Questofthetune
Captain
Questofthetune's Avatar
402
Rep
723
Posts

Drives: 14 AW M235i
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: SFL

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2014 BMW 235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
My brotherís daily is an R8 GT. Leaves it parked outside and all.
Fills me with so much hope
__________________
2014 AW M235i
Jb4, Spacers, BMS intake, (Soon) BMS meth and ER CP,
extra dirty rims.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 12:27 PM   #6
Mo@BMWofFairfax
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Mo@BMWofFairfax's Avatar
United_States
1297
Rep
2,598
Posts


Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: DMV

iTrader: (1)

I know A LOT of people that do. They love it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 01:17 PM   #7
FC4
Colonel
1256
Rep
2,636
Posts

Drives: Yes
Join Date: May 2014
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

You have a poster of it in your bedroom? Are you 12?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 01:24 PM   #8
Questofthetune
Captain
Questofthetune's Avatar
402
Rep
723
Posts

Drives: 14 AW M235i
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: SFL

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2014 BMW 235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
You have a poster of it in your bedroom? Are you 12?
12 and a half. Turn 13 soon
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 02:07 PM   #9
ShocknAwe
Major General
ShocknAwe's Avatar
United_States
1492
Rep
6,020
Posts

Drives: E82 N54
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Charleston

iTrader: (15)

Do it. Life's too short to drive boring cars.
__________________
2010 135i M-Sport 6MT Jet Black
N54 | BUILD THREAD
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 10:13 PM   #10
RedCarrot
Second Lieutenant
RedCarrot's Avatar
United_States
164
Rep
206
Posts

Drives: '18 AW M2
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Boston

iTrader: (1)

I think it depends on a number of variables, such as...

- do you use it for work commute
- how far is the daily commute
- traffic condition of said commute

I once owned a Boxster as my only car but I took public transit into the city for work. When I changed job that required a 60mi round trip that includes traffic, I quickly had to add an auto DD.

Good luck in your pursuit of your dream car!
__________________
Gone but not forgotten:
'14 Corvette Stingray (2014-2017)
'05 Boxster S (2005 - 2014)
'00 S2000 (2000-2005)
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 03:02 AM   #11
HyeWarrior
Captain
502
Rep
884
Posts

Drives: 2012 135i DCT
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Dimas, CA

iTrader: (1)

Knew a guy who would cycle through the newest flavor of R8's every year. He seemed to love dallying them.

Theres a dude on IG named Erik Dietz (spell check?) with a nardo grey, he dailys the hell out of his. Multiple cross country road trips and all.

Honestly, if I were in a situation where I could afford it, I'd do it too.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 05:27 PM   #12
fkim119
Second Lieutenant
54
Rep
253
Posts

Drives: 15' BMW M5
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Irvine, CA

iTrader: (4)

I alternate between driving several cars daily and one of them is the gen 2 R8.

Put 11K on it the first year and nothing but positive things to say about it.
__________________
17' Audi R8~My Golfcart~
17' Porsche Panamera Turbo~The Golden Retriever Hauler~
18' Porsche GT3.2~Coming in hooooot~
19' Porsche Cayenne Turbo ~ Dec Delivery~
15' BMW M5 ~ ABOUT TO BE GONE~
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 11:03 PM   #13
Questofthetune
Captain
Questofthetune's Avatar
402
Rep
723
Posts

Drives: 14 AW M235i
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: SFL

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2014 BMW 235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fkim119 View Post
I alternate between driving several cars daily and one of them is the gen 2 R8.

Put 11K on it the first year and nothing but positive things to say about it.
Is that the V8 or the V10 series? I have heard some reliability issues on the 4.8(?) I think?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 11:06 PM   #14
fkim119
Second Lieutenant
54
Rep
253
Posts

Drives: 15' BMW M5
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Irvine, CA

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questofthetune View Post
Is that the V8 or the V10 series? I have heard some reliability issues on the 4.8(?) I think?
Gen 2 only has the v10. The base v10 with the trick suspension or the v10 plus that has the much stiffer coilover like setup and ccbs.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 11:08 PM   #15
Questofthetune
Captain
Questofthetune's Avatar
402
Rep
723
Posts

Drives: 14 AW M235i
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: SFL

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2014 BMW 235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fkim119 View Post
Gen 2 only has the v10. The base v10 with the trick suspension or the v10 plus that has the much stiffer coilover like setup and ccbs.
Ah gotcha, was the when they dropped the manual trans? I was on autotrader quite a bit for awhile watching them come and go and kept seeing manual seemed to peter out in the 2009 year? Might be wrong tho
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:41 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST