BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

02-25-2013, 09:52 AM   #1
checkmate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E90

Eibach Pro Plus Kit-Thoughts/Comments/Reviews?

I have an E90 M3 with no EDC. Price + Drop are the reason I'm considering the kit.

Can you guys chime in on your thoughts on getting it? My only concern is with the stiffer roll bars...last thing I want is a bone jarring ride.

Link to the product: http://performance-suspension.eibach...stems/pro-plus
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 12:30 PM   #2
Moxie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 328d Touring/SG 335d

I didn't notice much, if any ride difference.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 11:53 AM   #3
checkmate
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie View Post
I didn't notice much, if any ride difference.
Ride difference from stock? I was hoping it would be less bouncy considering I do not have EDC currently.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 02:00 PM   #4
Car54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M-Sport Wagon - EBII

I can't imagine stiffer springs would provide any less bounce...just the opposite. In addition the closer you get to the bump stops, the more bounce you'll get from rebounding off them. If you think the ride has bounce, you should be looking at different shocks....not springs.
      02-27-2013, 02:21 PM   #5
checkmate
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
I can't imagine stiffer springs would provide any less bounce...just the opposite. In addition the closer you get to the bump stops, the more bounce you'll get from rebounding off them. If you think the ride has bounce, you should be looking at different shocks....not springs.
I'm debating if I should invest in a proper set of coilovers vs springs.

The large sampling in m3post recommend a coilover set up however considering my car is under warranty-not sure which way to go. I am looking for less bounce + smoother ride. Is it possible?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 02:28 PM   #6
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
I've never seen a set of coilovers that offered as good of a ride as springs only or stock suspension. Coilovers handle better but on the downside, normally the ride is worse.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 02:41 PM   #7
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
I've never seen a set of coilovers that offered as good of a ride as springs only or stock suspension. Coilovers handle better but on the downside, normally the ride is worse.
Try a set of Ohlins DFV coilovers. They work wonders in absorbing bumps and keeps the car stuck to the ground like glue. You can hit potholes at full speed and have no jolt to the car (assuming the car isn't slammed). The most comfortable and best handling suspension I've ever had.
      02-27-2013, 02:44 PM   #8
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
Try a set of Ohlins DFV coilovers. They work wonders in absorbing bumps and keeps the car stuck to the ground like glue. You can hit potholes at full speed and have no jolt to the car (assuming the car isn't slammed). The most comfortable and best handling suspension I've ever had.
Lotta money though...$3100!! Hard to justify the cost for what the OP really wants I think.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 02:46 PM   #9
Car54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M-Sport Wagon - EBII

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
I'm debating if I should invest in a proper set of coilovers vs springs.

The large sampling in m3post recommend a coilover set up however considering my car is under warranty-not sure which way to go. I am looking for less bounce + smoother ride. Is it possible?
I've never ridden in a non-EDC car but you might have a blown shock (warranty). Do you know anyone else that has a non-EDC car to compare?

Quote:
You must have only ridden in a car that had stiffer springs/firmer damping. There's no denying a proper coilover has the makings to ride better than stock...better valving, response, heat resistant, adjustability...people just tend to stiffen things up with coilovers. Case in point...think trucks and offroad. You can setup a coilover to handle offroad imperfections...but would probably show major weakness when you introduced a grippy street tire.

BUT, you're right...stock usually has the best compromise because millions of hours and dollars (euros) are spent developing.
      02-27-2013, 02:49 PM   #10
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
I've never ridden in a non-EDC car but you might have a blown shock (warranty). Do you know anyone else that has a non-EDC car to compare?

You must have only ridden in a car that had stiffer springs/firmer damping. There's no denying a proper coilover has the makings to ride better than stock...better valving, response, heat resistant, adjustability...people just tend to stiffen things up with coilovers. Case in point...think trucks and offroad. You can setup a coilover to handle offroad imperfections...but would probably show major weakness when you introduced a grippy street tire.

BUT, you're right...stock usually has the best compromise because millions of hours and dollars (euros) are spent developing.
Most coilovers are going to come with stiffer springs though so they already start on a bad foot.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 02:52 PM   #11
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Lotta money though...$3100!! Hard to justify the cost for what the OP really wants I think.
Yeah, I didn't get them for the M3. It costs much more for the M3 than other cars.
      02-27-2013, 04:18 PM   #12
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

OP springs should be all you need. Replacing the rear bar is a bit of work and not really worth it. I have Eibachs with stock EDC and car is pretty good and I do track at least once a month

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 11:06 AM   #13
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Most coilovers are going to come with stiffer springs though so they already start on a bad foot.
Stiffer springs doesn't automatically mean harsher ride provided that the matching dampers are valved to compliment the spring rate. On another car I had I went from one coilover to another. The first used 420lb progressive springs and the second used 600lb/850lb linear springs. The ride on the second set was much better than the first. It's all about how the system as a whole works, not just the springs.
      02-28-2013, 11:14 AM   #14
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
Stiffer springs doesn't automatically mean harsher ride provided that the matching dampers are valved to compliment the spring rate. On another car I had I went from one coilover to another. The first used 420lb progressive springs and the second used 600lb/850lb linear springs. The ride on the second set was much better than the first. It's all about how the system as a whole works, not just the springs.
I didn't say automatically but in general.
Appreciate 0