BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

04-17-2011, 05:35 PM   #23
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Practice with the MT. It will become second nature a lot sooner than you think.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 05:36 PM   #24
SeanR
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_of_Persia View Post
I can just tell you one thing. If you forget about being lazy for 2 months and try so hard to learn how properly drive your 6MT M3, you will fall in love with it. It is like chasing a hard to get super hot girl lol, If you are up for the challenge, it is so rewarding at the end
I totally understand where you are coming from, but that hard to get super hot girl won't annoy me when I'm stuck in traffic
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 05:40 PM   #25
PKL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4, 2022 X6

OP needs to practice! 6MT FTW!!! 6MT FTW! 6MT FTW!
      04-17-2011, 05:42 PM   #26
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 6MT E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanR View Post
I totally understand where you are coming from, but that hard to get super hot girl won't annoy me when I'm stuck in traffic
Oh believe me; she will start nagging eventually JK lol
As captainaudio mentioned, it will become second nature pretty soon. But again, if you want Convenience from your first day in your M3, get the DCT and put it in D and drive it like an automatic car.

AW|FR 6MT E92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 05:43 PM   #27
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I drove MTs in New York City traffic for years. Once you get used to it iit is not that bad. It can be frustrating to learn to use an MT but it is not rocket science. IMO learning how to drive an MT properly (and take my word for it a significant proportion of MT owners don't know how to drive them properly) is a valuable skill.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England

Last edited by captainaudio; 04-17-2011 at 05:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 05:44 PM   #28
SeanR
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKL View Post
OP needs to practice! 6MT FTW!!! 6MT FTW! 6MT FTW!
Problem is, even if I practice, the only manual car I have access to is my M3, so it's going to end up exploding!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 05:46 PM   #29
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Problem is, even if I practice, the only manual car I have access to is my M3, so it's going to end up exploding!
NO IT WONT!!!!!! I learned driving manual car in my M3!!! This car is amazing to learn how to drive stick! It has hill assist as well which helps you a lot.

AW|FR 6MT E92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 05:48 PM   #30
SeanR
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_of_Persia View Post
Oh believe me; she will start nagging eventually JK lol
As captainaudio mentioned, it will become second nature pretty soon. But again, if you want Convenience from your first day in your M3, get the DCT and put it in D and drive it like an automatic car.
That's not what I mean by convenience! Convenience to me is many things: not having to worry about exploding my car from having too much control, being kept in check by an automatron that knows what is best for the car, having more time listening to that beautiful exhaust note and less time listening to the idling time in between when you shift gears in a manual car, and being able to drive 100% of the time in S mode (not D!!). Plus, all of you who stick with manual, don't you get the slightest bit jealous of the machine that can downshift like a mofo every time?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 05:51 PM   #31
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by E=mc2 View Post
What!!!!!????

That was so mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
Practice with the MT. It will become second nature a lot sooner than you think.

CA
indeed

Quote:
I drove MTs in New York City traffic for years. Once you get used to it iit is not that bad. It can be frustrating to learn to use an MT but it is not rocket science.

CA
For sure, and neither is heel-and-toe.
BRP 1:56 | CVR 2:01 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 05:52 PM   #32
ttt
Private
Rep
Drives: n/a

Quote:
I understand the trepidation, but I think you might be a bit too paranoid. If you set your expectations accordingly and don't be too aggressive, it's pretty unlikely that you'll f up your m3...
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 05:54 PM   #33
Totti
Troll
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Also most people don't realise that around town, you don't need to heel+toe...
Use the stick like u would a manual. If that doesn't work, put it in D mode and put both hands at 10 and 2. If that doesn't work, just sit on your right hand.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 05:54 PM   #34
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's not what I mean by convenience! Convenience to me is many things: not having to worry about exploding my car from having too much control, being kept in check by an automatron that knows what is best for the car, having more time listening to that beautiful exhaust note and less time listening to the idling time in between when you shift gears in a manual car, and being able to drive 100% of the time in S mode (not D!!). Plus, all of you who stick with manual, don't you get the slightest bit jealous of the machine that can downshift like a mofo every time?
Where are you located? If you are anywhere near NYC PM me and I will be happy to spend a day teaching you how to drive an MT, heel and toe, etc.

CA

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 05:57 PM   #35
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

Quote:
lulz, dunno why but I at that expression.
BRP 1:56 | CVR 2:01 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 05:58 PM   #36
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Hell NO! I practiced more than a month to do Rev Matching. Here is the thread for it:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=502553

And now I can do it more than 95% of the time. More importantly you do it YOURSELF and when you get it right, it feels GREAT! Plus with a manual M3 if you want to downshift from 4th gear straight to 2nd gear, you can! You don't have to go to 3rd gear first.

AW|FR 6MT E92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 05:58 PM   #37
gnhm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 / F87 M2

Let me give you my opinion with more depth. I had an 08 M3 when they first came out. I did not even consider getting a manual since I did not know how to drive one. The DCT was cool at first, but I found myself getting very bored with it. This is when I became interested in learning how to drive a 6mt.

Fast forward a little bit and I tried my hardest to find someone with a 08 6mt to trade with me. No luck so I had to suck it up. Lease ended and I found a CPO 335i with a 6mt and started learning. I learned how to drive that car the first day. Sure I stalled like crazy the first hour but by the end of the day I could drive fine. As the weeks went by I learned new things and felt more comfortable.

I sold my 335i in February and jumped into an 11' M3 last month. I again chose the 6mt as it is much more engaging and fun to drive. If I had to do it all over again I would still choose the 6mt. Take it from someone who has dealt with BOTH transmissions for an extended amount of time. Stick with the manual and learn to master it. You won't regret it.

The DCT is cool with its .02 second faster shifts but lets be real, that is not going to stop me from driving the transmission this car is meant to have. The DCT is way too basic and boring for me. All of you could say what you want but at the end of the day it is an "automatic" transmission.
      04-17-2011, 05:59 PM   #38
Franken///M
A70
Germany
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
That's not what I mean by convenience! Convenience to me is many things: not having to worry about exploding my car from having too much control, being kept in check by an automatron that knows what is best for the car, having more time listening to that beautiful exhaust note and less time listening to the idling time in between when you shift gears in a manual car, and being able to drive 100% of the time in S mode (not D!!).Plus, all of you who stick with manual, don't you get the slightest bit jealous of the machine that can downshift like a mofo every time?
trolling?, if you keep this up this already semi pointless thread is going to turn into nothing but hate on each side. You sound like you want a DCT, more power to you! I "could" be a dick ask if you are jealous of guys who actually know how to drive cars. Anyone could hop in your DCT put it in D and drive it...but I won't say that, at least not seriously. I have nothing against DCT, I won't attempt to argue why I think the 6MT is a better transmission or why I consider the DCT a fancy auto(Blasphemy I know!!!!) on a forum because it is pointless.

Good luck with your choice
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 06:00 PM   #39
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Where are you located? If you are anywhere near NYC PM me and I will be happy to spend a day teaching you how to drive an MT, heel and toe, etc.

CA
That is so generous!!!

AW|FR 6MT E92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 06:01 PM   #40
SchnellM3
Digger
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 E46 M3

Garage List
Page 3 of a soon to be 6 or more?

Full Innotech Exhaust - DINAN Intake - IND Engine Bay Appearance - IND Hand Stitched Boot Covers - and much more....
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 07:02 PM   #41
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4

I tried to stay out of this but I wanted to give the OP some sound advice. You are a young man and at this point it's "cool" that you drive a ///M3. It's even cooler that it's a "stick". Keep and learn how to drive it. Once you've mastered all the perks of a manual, (heel -toe, speed shifting and the others) then consider a DCT. I'm willing to bet that 90% of us DCT drivers got tired of a manual. I drove manuals for years and I would've dreamed of getting a automatic in my E36 ///M3. I also would've dreamed of getting a automatic in this ///M3. The fact that the DCT has all the characteristics of a 3 pedal manual (rev matching, neutral at all lights. it even rolls backwards on inclines) and it does all this with less effort and work on my part. This is great technology but I would tell you to leave this to us "old folks" that have had our stick time. Go out and learn how to rev match and money shift. Enjoy your 6MT ///M3 ..................Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 07:07 PM   #42
jmflukeiii
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Jet Black M3 ZCP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Ryder View Post
I tried to stay out of this but I wanted to give the OP some sound advice. You are a young man and at this point it's "cool" that you drive a ///M3. It's even cooler that it's a "stick". Keep and learn how to drive it. Once you've mastered all the perks of a manual, (heel -toe, speed shifting and the others) then consider a DCT. I'm willing to bet that 90% of us DCT drivers got tired of a manual. I drove manuals for years and I would've dreamed of getting a automatic in my E36 ///M3. I also would've dreamed of getting a automatic in this ///M3. The fact that the DCT has all the characteristics of a 3 pedal manual (rev matching, neutral at all lights. it even rolls backwards on inclines) and it does all this with less effort and work on my part. This is great technology but I would tell you to leave this to us "old folks" that have had our stick time. Go out and learn how to rev match and money shift. Enjoy your 6MT ///M3 ..................Phil
This is a good response. I'm sure some 6mt will chime in and say "you can't really drive stick so you got a DCT" but I think for a lot of us, that simply isn't true. A dual clutch transmission is a very cool, advanced technology, and I, like you, would have never dreamed of getting anything that does not have a left foot operated clutch until I went and drove the DCT transmission in the M3. Sure I miss the clutch and gear rowing at times, but when I'm really pushing the car (which is pretty much always), the DCT is really quite thrilling and useful, as well as ultimately being faster. I'm not saying you can't push a manual, because of course you can, but its a different feeling in the DCT and honestly I like it.
2011.5 E92 M3 Jet Black, DCT, Competition, Premium 2, and Convenience Packages, Black Novillo, Enhanced Premium Sound, 15% Tint, Black Kidneys/Reflectors/Gills/Roundels, DINAN Full Exhaust, DINAN Tune.
2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Black everything.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 07:50 PM   #43
ksoze
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnhm3 View Post
The DCT is cool with its .02 second faster shifts but lets be real, that is not going to stop me from driving the transmission this car is meant to have. The DCT is way too basic and boring for me. All of you could say what you want but at the end of the day it is an "automatic" transmission.
There are some who would actually say the DCT was built for this car. You choose a different one - good for you.

Because a hand and not a foot physically engages the clutch, does not make it an automatic transmission. If you used your knee to steer the wheel, it would still be a steering wheel turning the car and not "automatic" steering. The fact that the clutch can also optionally be engaged by a computer, still does not make it an automatic in any traditional use of the word.
      04-17-2011, 08:04 PM   #44
rye m3
Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E92 M3

Some good posts here. I live 25 mile north of NYC and I'd give you an hour driving lesson as well. I've driven manuals forever and can double clutch, heel toe, etc.
I had an SMG E46 M3. Thought it was the hot thing so I gave up my MT. As i would think with a DCT, it would be fun for 6 months then become a bore. Or if you like to drive on the track, it would be perfect, because you really learn to brake, apex, etc.
I often wonder how many people chose the DCT because they think its cool or simply because they can't drive a stick.
Oh, switching to a DCT instead, that will be a $10k event, don't underestimate it.
Appreciate 0