BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

EXXEL Distributions

08-27-2012, 04:37 PM   #45
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeE92M3 View Post

I had my exhaust shop close to me take out the secondary cats and replace it with pipes with a small "crush" at the end so it would fit in the x pipe.

It does NOT drone, and it actually sounds very very good. Has more of a rumble and you can definitely hear its presence under load. I don't feel significant power gains, but it feels more "free."

Just had the same exact thing done to my car. Sounds really aggressive with the oem mod!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 05:51 PM   #46
RedNeck_D
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92, MKI MR2, Harley 48

I did this today, Eric thank you for sharing this info!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 03:53 PM   #47
beemerboy305
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 E90

has anyone got proven gains with doing this ?? is it for sure not gonna cause back pressure by removing that and not just replacing with a straight pipe
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 08:12 PM   #48
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerboy305 View Post
has anyone got proven gains with doing this ?? is it for sure not gonna cause back pressure by removing that and not just replacing with a straight pipe
No gains. This is just for sound.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 12:34 PM   #49
s4play
Car Tuning Geek
United_States
Rep
Drives: too many rides....

OP: First awesome write-up!

I plan to do the same thing and wanted to ask you a few things:

a) What rear muffler are you running?

b) IF stock how much increased sound did you get by removing the secondary cats and do you think you gained any power?

c) I'm debating right now to gut the cats or just cut them out since I'm not too worried about the visual part. Would the final effect be the same?

d) If you are running an aftermarket rear muffler, what brand and how's your sound before and after gutting the secondary cats?

Kudos great job, I want to try this before spending $2k+ on a pipe as I prefer to dump that into my Brembo's
15 Ferrari 458 Spider
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 12:43 PM   #50
s4play
Car Tuning Geek
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by erics02wrx View Post
I have the UUC / Corsa exhaust and I was afraid of the same thing (being to loud) but it was barely noticeable. Its a little louder from the outside of the car but on the inside its maybe 5% louder, if that. I love it!

One more question, have you thought of removing the OEM resonators as well or would that trip the CEL? I guess I'll do one at a time to get the sound I want but wondering if anyone has removed the secondary cats + resonators on a stock X-pipe?
15 Ferrari 458 Spider
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 12:46 PM   #51
happos2
Dingleberries
Rep
Drives: Gray E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4play View Post
OP: First awesome write-up!

I plan to do the same thing and wanted to ask you a few things:

a) What rear muffler are you running?

b) IF stock how much increased sound did you get by removing the secondary cats and do you think you gained any power?

c) I'm debating right now to gut the cats or just cut them out since I'm not too worried about the visual part. Would the final effect be the same?

d) If you are running an aftermarket rear muffler, what brand and how's your sound before and after gutting the secondary cats?

Kudos great job, I want to try this before spending $2k+ on a pipe as I prefer to dump that into my Brembo's
I am not the OP obviously, but the 2ndary cats are essentially HFC (200 cell I think). So removing them, you will gain some power, but probably not that much. I am not sure on sound...

If you don't want to spend $2k+ on a pipe, may I suggest Test Pipes to remove the primary? ~$400 plus some way of removing CEL if that annoys you (couple different ways of doing this with the Tune being the most expensive.)

Just point the thought in your head if you didn't already have it!!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 01:05 PM   #52
s4play
Car Tuning Geek
United_States
Rep

thanks!

I'm getting my work done tomorrow and will report back
15 Ferrari 458 Spider
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 10:58 AM   #53
Kunman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

what if i did this mod + my oem exhaust mod?

would it be way too loud?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 12:15 AM   #54
erics02wrx
?
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunman View Post
what if i did this mod + my oem exhaust mod?

would it be way too loud?
I think this mod would be a great addition to the OEM exhaust mod.....our cars are way to quiet in stock form, so actually being able to hear this amazing V8 sound come from a completely stock looking exhaust is really cool! By doing this mod in combination with your OEM exhaust mod, it will probably make the car sound more like an exotic. I have now lived with this mod for a few years and still never regret doing it, in fact it's still one of my most favorite mods that I've done.
      02-08-2014, 11:34 AM   #55
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by erics02wrx View Post
I think this mod would be a great addition to the OEM exhaust mod.....our cars are way to quiet in stock form, so actually being able to hear this amazing V8 sound come from a completely stock looking exhaust is really cool! By doing this mod in combination with your OEM exhaust mod, it will probably make the car sound more like an exotic. I have now lived with this mod for a few years and still never regret doing it, in fact it's still one of my most favorite mods that I've done.
I just switched back to my oem x pipe and an MPE…I have a feeling this would make the MPE sound even better as it sound fantastic but just isn't loud enough for me.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 02:42 PM   #56
yellow munson
Rep
Drives: e91 super wagon

can you just get by with simply wire up o2 simulator? I know old e46 I had worked .. but I havent tried or anything on new one..

Quote:
Originally Posted by happos2 View Post
I am not the OP obviously, but the 2ndary cats are essentially HFC (200 cell I think). So removing them, you will gain some power, but probably not that much. I am not sure on sound...

If you don't want to spend $2k+ on a pipe, may I suggest Test Pipes to remove the primary? ~$400 plus some way of removing CEL if that annoys you (couple different ways of doing this with the Tune being the most expensive.)

Just point the thought in your head if you didn't already have it!!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 07:04 AM   #57
happos2
Dingleberries
Rep
Drives: Gray E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow munson View Post
can you just get by with simply wire up o2 simulator? I know old e46 I had worked .. but I havent tried or anything on new one..
I am not too familiar with this. There is something that Burger Tuning makes I think (I feel like I read that somewhere on this forum) which would essentially be a simulator. People have also used spacers to pull out the O2 sensor with different success rates. And finally one of the vendors here makes an O2 sensor that is surrounded by a cat (call it a mini cat or something like that) which is plug and play as well.

All that being said, if you are eliminating the primary cats, the best is to get a tune and extract the extra power and get the other benefits of the tune.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 05:07 PM   #58
jamesching
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 525i e60 2005

?

i know this was from 3 years ago but i still wanna ask...ive heard that deleting the secondary cats will cause u to fail emissions im in nj and pretty sure they just do a OBD port test but not sure...is this true because i want to do this also if i get secondary cat delete pipes will that cause a cel
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 09:51 PM   #59
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesching View Post
i know this was from 3 years ago but i still wanna ask...ive heard that deleting the secondary cats will cause u to fail emissions im in nj and pretty sure they just do a OBD port test but not sure...is this true because i want to do this also if i get secondary cat delete pipes will that cause a cel
the 2nd cats are over kill. they do not cause a CEL and you should still pass a emission test with them gone!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 09:59 PM   #60
E92_eM3
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 - Mineral White

Sucks that there isn't much of HP gains.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 07:30 PM   #61
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

nice! might try this but just replace with straight pipes
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 12:29 PM   #62
Zyrock
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiracer1 View Post
I did this mod over the weekend and it sounds freaking awesome , And All I did was an OEM exhaust mod and gutted the second cat , thanks for the ideal never thought of it
Which OEM exhaust mod did you do? 2-pipe, 2.5pipe, 4pipe or bypass? Did you do the mods yourself?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2018, 05:10 PM   #63
Freiheit
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3alabama
if you are comfortable hacking up the exhaust than you should go a step further. Cut out the secondaries and cut out the primaries. Put the secondaries welded in to replace primaries and put it all back together. This should be enough to easily avoid the CEL and give you essentially a HFC setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by karussell View Post
I was just thinking this since the secondary cats are 200 cells. i bet a good muffler shop could make quick work out of this. would it be much louder?

A few years later and no one else seemed to notice this. Has anyone done this? It seems like it would require little in labor and would put the stock HFC in the right place and save a lot of cash that could be spent elsewhere.
Appreciate 1
wfdeacon881102.50
      12-22-2018, 06:46 PM   #64
wfdeacon88
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freiheit View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3alabama
if you are comfortable hacking up the exhaust than you should go a step further. Cut out the secondaries and cut out the primaries. Put the secondaries welded in to replace primaries and put it all back together. This should be enough to easily avoid the CEL and give you essentially a HFC setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by karussell View Post
I was just thinking this since the secondary cats are 200 cells. i bet a good muffler shop could make quick work out of this. would it be much louder?

A few years later and no one else seemed to notice this. Has anyone done this? It seems like it would require little in labor and would put the stock HFC in the right place and save a lot of cash that could be spent elsewhere.
hmm... would it be enough for a stage 2 tune also?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2018, 10:20 PM   #65
Freiheit
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfdeacon88 View Post
I would think so. The stage 2 tune works with deleted primary cats but leaving the rear cats in place, so you'd simply move those cats forward to the primary location. They'd get the exact same exhaust charge as they would if you left them in the back and test piped the forward section. They'd actually work slightly better since they'd pick up more heat from being closer to the combustion event.

Does anyone know if the stock primary cats are metallic or ceramic substrate?
Appreciate 1
wfdeacon881102.50
      12-22-2018, 10:22 PM   #66
wfdeacon88
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freiheit View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfdeacon88 View Post
I would think so. The stage 2 tune works with deleted primary cats but leaving the rear cats in place, so you'd simply move those cats forward to the primary location. They'd get the exact same exhaust charge as they would if you left them in the back and test piped the forward section. They'd actually work slightly better since they'd pick up more heat from being closer to the combustion event.

Does anyone know if the stock primary cats are metallic or ceramic substrate?
so essentially you'd need no test pipes, just some sort of steel pipe in the place of the secondary (where is was)?
Appreciate 0