BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

06-08-2023, 12:22 PM   #1
charliev68
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw m3

Fender Repair

Is it possible to successfully repair fenders since they are plastic?
Went to a reputable repair shop and they said they would not fix it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-08-2023, 12:29 PM   #2
SN1P3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP

I would just replace it. What are the hesitations?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2023, 10:46 AM   #3
rjsiciliano
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 MW e92 M3 ZCP

I am not a body expert but that could maybe bondo'd and resprayed? but at that point just buy a new fender
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2023, 11:57 AM   #4
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

It can be plastic welded, sanded and resprayed. But the labor costs in doing that may be as much as buying a new fender and paint it.
      06-26-2023, 12:15 AM   #5
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

you could just epoxy it back together... might be hardly noticable.

thats a stress crack from the front bumper pulling on it from the bottom.... like someone put it over a parking block and it pulled at the bumper when you reversed off of it.
      06-26-2023, 10:16 PM   #6
charliev68
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
you could just epoxy it back together... might be hardly noticable.

thats a stress crack from the front bumper pulling on it from the bottom.... like someone put it over a parking block and it pulled at the bumper when you reversed off of it.
I have the Mporium skid plate installed on the car. Could that be putting stress on the fender?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2023, 11:33 PM   #7
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliev68 View Post
I have the Mporium skid plate installed on the car. Could that be putting stress on the fender?
i highly doubt that is the cause, as they likely don't add any stress to the fenders if installed correctly.
if this crack just started without any incident (like hitting a parking block), then check to see if the bumper is secured properly. there are about four bolts just above the kidney grills, and two hangers shaped like a "Y" hanging off the front frame that support most of the weight of the front bumper. if these are absesnt, the weight of the bumper could be contributing to the fenders cracking. you won't be able to see them without looking behind the fender liners.
      06-27-2023, 12:00 AM   #8
charliev68
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Good to know! Thank you.
I can’t be absolutely sure…I could have cracked it while swapping front suspension without noticing.
I’m just paranoid that the other side might develop the same crack due to the under tray. Although it’s been on there for 3 years already.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2023, 11:42 PM   #9
pzzvv
LURKER
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I had an almost identical crack in mine. Buddy runs a body shop so was able to repair it for me for a case of beer. Fast forward about half a year later & while driving in the rain something happened ( i don't know what), & i saw the repaired crack had cracked again but actually broken off this time. I'm pretty low... so not surprised. Would probably rec a new fender tbh.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2023, 01:26 PM   #10
charliev68
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Talked to an expert who works on a lot of e92 m3s. He states that the fender cracks on lowered cars. It's a common thing he sees.
Wondering about the carbon fenders for sale by the company in Latvia. Maybe it is more crack proof. I would color match it though, I don't want to run raw carbon fenders.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2023, 01:40 PM   #11
avantegardestyle
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 ///M3 SG

WHAT WAS BMW logic on making these fenders from plastic?

couldnt a superior one be made from metal?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 12:00 AM   #12
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
i highly doubt that is the cause, as they likely don't add any stress to the fenders if installed correctly.
if this crack just started without any incident (like hitting a parking block), then check to see if the bumper is secured properly. there are about four bolts just above the kidney grills, and two hangers shaped like a "Y" hanging off the front frame that support most of the weight of the front bumper. if these are absesnt, the weight of the bumper could be contributing to the fenders cracking. you won't be able to see them without looking behind the fender liners.
FYI the hangers or the whole bottom are not necessary. Not using them will have zero effect on the bumper or engine temps. I stopped running the felt bottom 5 years ago and I live in LA where it’s hot as fuck. I have over 250,000 miles and at least 175,000 of them I had a GT3 lip with brake ducts. I believe what yourself and others have spoke of…..the front bumper got hung up on something. If it doesn’t crack there it cracks at the meeting point of the fender and front bumper where the two screws are. It could be plastic welded but the cost and work hours would be stupid. Just replace and repaint. Contrary to belief on this forum a good shop will match things perfectly. I have a jet black M and I’ve painted my rear/front bumpers, hood, doors and fenders as needed. Never once has anyone brought it up to me at car shows or even up to my 8th bimmerfest. If your cutting corners on the repair I bet the paint shop you choose will suck as well. Expect 600-1k for a shop that knows what the fuck they’re doing. However if you find a shop proficient in plastic welding please do share with us. I suspect this will be the way down the road if parts become hard to by or inflated in price.