BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

07-19-2019, 06:22 PM   #1
bmwpower603
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E36 m3 coupe 08 e90 M3

Wheel bearing install. Still play in hub.

I recently had my rear wheel bearing replaced. The car was handling very poorly. And when I inspected the real hub, noticed the axle nut was almost off, and not tight all the way.

I figured the wheel bearing must have been bad. (Possibly minor damage to the spindle or hub itself) Since I got the car at a dealer auction. All things need to be considered when figuring out the issue if it was accident related or what.

The axle nut looked warped, I used a oriellys auto parts wheel bearing The shop who pressed it said there’s damage to the hub/ spindle.. They pressed in the new the new bearing anyways. I used the old warped axle nut.. (Bad idea)

Today, I took the wheel off. To maybe try and tighten the axle bolt in an effort to eliminate the excess play in the hub. Started to tighten it, and immediately the axle nut spun with ease.. even when trying to remove it from the axle shaft wouldn’t even want to spin off properly.

What could be the issue here? Just needs new axle now, and to be fully tight. Or needs a while new hub as well? Or maybe just a bad oriellys bearing since it’s not OEM... Should I just try a used hub assembly with spindle already installed.

The hub still feels like it has some play in it. . Could this be solely the axle, and not being tight.. (Due to threads being stripped off) Or could this just be hub it self with damage?

Last edited by bmwpower603; 07-19-2019 at 06:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 08:12 PM   #2
nissanite
Private
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwpower603 View Post
I recently had my rear wheel bearing replaced. The car was handling very poorly. And when I inspected the real hub, noticed the axle nut was almost off, and not tight all the way.

I figured the wheel bearing must have been bad. (Possibly minor damage to the spindle or hub itself) Since I got the car at a dealer auction. All things need to be considered when figuring out the issue if it was accident related or what.

The axle nut looked warped, I used a oriellys auto parts wheel bearing The shop who pressed it said there’s damage to the hub/ spindle.. They pressed in the new the new bearing anyways. I used the old warped axle nut.. (Bad idea)

Today, I took the wheel off. To maybe try and tighten the axle bolt in an effort to eliminate the excess play in the hub. Started to tighten it, and immediately the axle nut spun with ease.. even when trying to remove it from the axle shaft wouldn’t even want to spin off properly.

What could be the issue here? Just needs new axle now, and to be fully tight. Or needs a while new hub as well? Or maybe just a bad oriellys bearing since it’s not OEM... Should I just try a used hub assembly with spindle already installed.

The hub still feels like it has some play in it. . Could this be solely the axle, and not being tight.. (Due to threads being stripped off) Or could this just be hub it self with damage?

If that is the end of the axle, the treads look stripped. It will need replaced with a new nut. Maybe time for a professional.
Appreciate 1
      07-20-2019, 07:20 AM   #3
mapster37
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

sounds like you need a professional
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2019, 09:11 AM   #4
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
The threads look a lil mangled where the nut was staked. You should get new axle nuts anyway $8 for piece of mind. But idk if it’s the angle but it looks like you’ve got VERY little lip on the hub for the wheel to sit. You can’t buy a hub bearing assembly for the rear you’d have to buy them separate but I don’t see how that would fix the “play” issue since the bearing presses into the spindle then the hub into the bearing. Only thing I can see is if things aren’t seated right and you don’t have enough of the wheel grabbing the hub that might be the play you’re feeling
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 06:57 AM   #5
atopa2002
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3M, 2013 e92 M3, F15 X5

That bearing is not oem , the magnetic strip for the speed sensor might be different so it's not gonna work or fit .

I have a new oem bearing and axil nut , Pm me for a good deal.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 07:58 AM   #6
drrust
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT Sedan

You may want to replace some of the components. Check with deansbimmer as he has many parts (mporiumbmw on eBay). Maybe able to get whole assembly.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 08:33 AM   #7
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

The shop did the work?

Take it back, who ever took the axle out fucked it up.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 10:17 AM   #8
bmwpower603
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E36 m3 coupe 08 e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
The shop did the work?

Take it back, who ever took the axle out fucked it up.
Yes. This is correct. The exhaust needs to be lowered, and trialing arm needs to be removed, along with rear silencer. For the axle to be removed without any damage.

I’ve never done the job before. But have ISTA and full instructions, and a little pb blaster. I can attempt to remove the rear hub and replace it with a used assembly off a 69k coupe.. (used axle is $100) (How hard is it to remove e brake cable from the assembly?) Or try and install a new oem bearing/ new, or used axle.

I tried installing a new axle nut, so I can atleast drive it to a shop if needed.. And just started spinning once it’s tight. So it’s loose. But when trying to back it off it’s stripped, so not the axle nut will not come off lol

With that axle nut stuck on. I should probably disconnect axle from the output flange on the diff. And then the axle should come off with the spindle.

The bolt cannot be reversed off. I made more work for myself if I end up doing this. There’s still a small amount of play in the hub, or wheel bearing inside spindle. If indeed it is the bearing being the wrong size. Cutting off that axle nut, in order to remove the hub/ wheel bearing I just put on won’t be easy
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 02:53 PM   #9
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Can you apply pressure to the side or back of the mug while you attempt to remove it? That will stop it from spinning. Or weld something to it so you can pull while you try to remove.

Without seeing the car, I’d guess you may need an axle and a spindle.
Appreciate 0