BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

05-16-2022, 01:40 PM   #1
Alexand3r
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 '12

Oil pump backlash setting

Hey,

I have the following problem - I rebuilt my engine myself (not a professional), but apparently I got one thing wrong - setting the oil pump gear to crankshaft backlash wrong..
And as I discovered that when I already put the engine in the car, I'm thinking of trying to do it again, but was wondering if anyone has done it with the engine still in the car? Is it doable that way? I have changed the rod bearings before from the bottom of the car, but this job requires a bit more precision in my opinion and it's a tight space down under.

I attach a video for your reference and fyi, anything else is detached from the engine(no belts), so the nose can't come from power steering or other auxiliary things.

Here is the video - https://youtu.be/KaUNbH59TlI

Any information or input will be appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 09:12 PM   #2
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

You can do it with the engine still in the car. You need to cut a square piece of steel with two holes in it. Bolt it to the bed plate with the oil pan screws and attach the measuring gauge magnet to piece of steel then mount the gauge to the gear and loosen then retighten the pump slightly and work it into position. Verify the backlash even after the pump is torqued to its final setting because it tends to shift when tightening.

You need to drop the subframe and oil pan to do this properly. When you take it apart I would check the gear on the oil pump and make sure it’s not damaged because its extremely loud.
Appreciate 2
      06-02-2022, 10:24 AM   #3
Alexand3r
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 '12

Ok, I did the procedure from underneath the car again, but the noise is still present. I'm starting to think it might be something else, which I cannot think about.
There is no any visible damage to both gears(oil pump and crankshaft), if that might be a concern.
Any suggestions before I lower the pan for the second time and do one more check on the gear lash?
Appreciate 1
jmw_m31.50
      07-16-2023, 11:18 PM   #4
jmw_m3
No_Country
Rep
Drives: LeMans Blue E90 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexand3r View Post
Ok, I did the procedure from underneath the car again, but the noise is still present. I'm starting to think it might be something else, which I cannot think about.
There is no any visible damage to both gears(oil pump and crankshaft), if that might be a concern.
Any suggestions before I lower the pan for the second time and do one more check on the gear lash?
Hey did you ever figure this out? I have a similar whine noise and trying to figure out what it could be.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2024, 08:47 AM   #5
TechE
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, U11 X1

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Reviving this because I was hoping it was the fix for the whine. I don't understand what else it could be. One of the pumps internals? VANOS?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2024, 03:14 PM   #6
Theodore
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E92 M3

The OP posted in the YouTube comments that he set the backlash incorrectly the first time then corrected it to solve the issue. The BMW repair manual doesn't specify you must measure the backlash with the gears dry (nor does it state the gears should be oiled), but I've read elsewhere dry measurement is the most accurate way to measure gear backlash perhaps this is something to consider?
E9X M3 "Factory" Tools Can Be Found Here
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2024, 05:07 AM   #7
TechE
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, U11 X1

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theodore View Post
The OP posted in the YouTube comments that he set the backlash incorrectly the first time then corrected it to solve the issue. The BMW repair manual doesn't specify you must measure the backlash with the gears dry (nor does it state the gears should be oiled), but I've read elsewhere dry measurement is the most accurate way to measure gear backlash perhaps this is something to consider?
I was going to give it a shot either way, but good to see that comment. From watching others do the procedure, dry gears seem to be the way. Barring the engine over for consistent measurements is another big take.
Appreciate 0