BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

04-04-2024, 06:58 PM   #23
a5m
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E90 M3

I just don't want to have to swap suspension setups and regret not doing it right the first time. Of course money is a factor too so would love to get by with a lower cost option.

The car has other issues so while I sort those out I'll keep an eye out for deals on Ohlins. If I can find a used set for significantly less than new it'd be an easy decision. Or hopefully take advantage of some sale where I get the Bilstein setup for dirt cheap and call it a day.

Either way will keep my eyes and options open. Will update whichever way I decide. Excited to post my impressions (of the right setup I hope ).
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2024, 06:59 PM   #24
a5m
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

VAC Motorsports offers JRZ RS One Touring Kits that look promising. Same price as Ohlins. Anyone have experience with these? Dropped them an email asking about springs and rates. Looks like they're Eibach, but some Swifts might be a sweet setup.

https://store.vacmotorsports.com/mob...bmw-p3184.aspx
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 08:19 AM   #25
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by a5m View Post
VAC Motorsports offers JRZ RS One Touring Kits that look promising. Same price as Ohlins. Anyone have experience with these? Dropped them an email asking about springs and rates. Looks like they're Eibach, but some Swifts might be a sweet setup.

I’d strongly recommend staying far away from the RS One and RS Two dampers. Read the reviews from forum members who have tried them. Apex Wheels did a group buy 5-6 years ago and it was bad review after bad review (check f8x forum, too). They are plagued with noises from valves. The RS1 I have and the JRZ One are different dampers with the RS1 superseded by the RS One. I’m unsure if JRZ still produces the touring version. Their website doesn’t show the touring line:

https://www.jrzsuspension.com/rs-line/

Last edited by M3SQRD; 04-13-2024 at 08:43 AM..
Appreciate 1
a5m614.00
      04-13-2024, 10:00 AM   #26
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

I had Ohlind R&T on an E92 335i. To this day, that was the most comfortable riding sporty BMW I’d ever owned. And I had them spun almost the whole way down. Such an awesome kit with the DFV tech.

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 1
a5m614.00
      04-13-2024, 06:17 PM   #27
a5m
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
I’d strongly recommend staying far away from the RS One and RS Two dampers. Read the reviews from forum members who have tried them. Apex Wheels did a group buy 5-6 years ago and it was bad review after bad review (check f8x forum, too). They are plagued with noises from valves. The RS1 I have and the JRZ One are different dampers with the RS1 superseded by the RS One. I’m unsure if JRZ still produces the touring version. Their website doesn’t show the touring line:

https://www.jrzsuspension.com/rs-line/
Well, great. Didn't come across those complaints but I guess they're. Yea didn't see the Tourings, assuming VAC is putting a custom kit together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixSpd View Post
I had Ohlind R&T on an E92 335i. To this day, that was the most comfortable riding sporty BMW I’d ever owned. And I had them spun almost the whole way down. Such an awesome kit with the DFV tech.
Another vote for Ohlins. Just yesterday read a couple posts where people said they suck at slow city speeds. So not sure what that's about. Might just go with B6's at this point...
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 06:54 PM   #28
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:

I’ve had RS-2way as dual duty into pure track application running 900/1000lb without any issues. They’ve been a fantastic and reliable entry into heavily tracking the car. I’ll likely upgrade as the car now moves to a fully dedicated car but I’ve had lots of success with these. JRZ is a proven entity and I’d take some of the hate with a grain of salt.
      04-13-2024, 07:04 PM   #29
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Quote:
Another vote for Ohlins. Just yesterday read a couple posts where people said they suck at slow city speeds. So not sure what that's about. Might just go with B6's at this point...
Bad condition city roads are where the Ohlins really shine. The only place they're not ideal is at the track due to insufficient spring rate.
Appreciate 1
a5m614.00
      04-13-2024, 07:26 PM   #30
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
I’ve had RS-2way as dual duty into pure track application running 900/1000lb without any issues. They’ve been a fantastic and reliable entry into heavily tracking the car. I’ll likely upgrade as the car now moves to a fully dedicated car but I’ve had lots of success with these. JRZ is a proven entity and I’d take some of the hate with a grain of salt.
I have absolutely nothing against JRZ. I’m running a set of the original RS1 on my e92 M3. It’s performed flawlessly for over a decade (one rebuild). To this day, I still recommend the RS Pro and RS Pro3. Which version do you have? I was recommending the RS One and Two when they were first released. However, I don’t recall reading one good review of the RS One & Two on the f8x and I recall there being one positive review of the RS One on the e9x. Their original design for the f8x rear damper required unbolting the rear upper 3-point damper mount and removing the mount completely from the damper to gain access to the rebound adjuster. The RS One & Two were extremely noisy and bouncy as you came to a stop (I think this wasn’t a damper issue, more of an owner not understanding how a premium motorsport-inspired monotube damper works). They make excellent motorsport dampers but, for some reason, the majority of their street dampers make excessive noise for some reason (likely valve/cavitation noise) and they’ve never addressed it. There used to be > 10 vendors on th e9x and f8x forums that sold JRZ dampers. You’ll be hard pressed to find one now.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 07:53 PM   #31
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Well, great. Didn't come across those complaints but I guess they're. Yea didn't see the Tourings, assuming VAC is putting a custom kit together.

I’m just curious, where are you reading reviews saying the R&T suck at slow city speeds?

Reviews of the Evolve/Bilstein B6 dampers are starting to come in. The link below is from an owner that had one front damper start leaking after ~3k miles and then the replacement damper started leaking after ~8k miles.
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=10
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 09:12 PM   #32
a5m
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I’m just curious, where are you reading reviews saying the R&T suck at slow city speeds?

Reviews of the Evolve/Bilstein B6 dampers are starting to come in. The link below is from an owner that had one front damper start leaking after ~3k miles and then the replacement damper started leaking after ~8k miles.
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=10
Here's one I came across yesterday: https://www.m3post.com/forums/showpo...1&postcount=35
Richbot Also confirms of similar reports by others a few posts down. Will have to dig more to find some others.

Yea Bilstein reliability has been a real concern. Even with the warranty I don't have time or energy to be swapping suspension components. And that's if Bilstein doesn't deny a claim.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 09:15 PM   #33
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
I have absolutely nothing against JRZ. I’m running a set of the original RS1 on my e92 M3. It’s performed flawlessly for over a decade (one rebuild). To this day, I still recommend the RS Pro and RS Pro3. Which version do you have? I was recommending the RS One and Two when they were first released. However, I don’t recall reading one good review of the RS One & Two on the f8x and I recall there being one positive review of the RS One on the e9x. Their original design for the f8x rear damper required unbolting the rear upper 3-point damper mount and removing the mount completely from the damper to gain access to the rebound adjuster. The RS One & Two were extremely noisy and bouncy as you came to a stop (I think this wasn’t a damper issue, more of an owner not understanding how a premium motorsport-inspired monotube damper works). They make excellent motorsport dampers but, for some reason, the majority of their street dampers make excessive noise for some reason (likely valve/cavitation noise) and they’ve never addressed it. There used to be > 10 vendors on th e9x and f8x forums that sold JRZ dampers. You’ll be hard pressed to find one now.
Idk just RS2 from 2019 or 2020. Again, never had an issue. I’ll likely get them serviced and sell them when I move to a new setup.

I don’t know if I’d use vendor sales as an indicator of success or failure though. Most vendors just want to sell you something / anything, and the “it” product is MCS for this application and forum audience.

I know you have a shit ton of knowledge, and I’m not discounting your perspective.
      04-13-2024, 09:53 PM   #34
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Here's one I came across yesterday: https://www.m3post.com/forums/showpo...1&postcount=35
Richbot Also confirms of similar reports by others a few posts down. Will have to dig more to find some others.

Yea Bilstein reliability has been a real concern. Even with the warranty I don't have time or energy to be swapping suspension components. And that's if Bilstein doesn't deny a claim.
A leaking/blown damper is a big deal. If you’re not doing the work, you have to pay someone to remove the damper, store your car (you can’t drive without four dampers, I suppose you could try if it’s one of the rears removed but it won’t be pretty) or charge you to install a stock damper (only works if the car isn’t lowered), and then charge you again when the warrantied damper arrives (or charge double to remove the temporary one before installing the warrantied damper). Bilstein’s the one getting off easy and cheap!

Where did you read more people are saying Ohlins R&T’s suck at city speeds?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 11:01 PM   #35
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Idk just RS2 from 2019 or 2020. Again, never had an issue. I’ll likely get them serviced and sell them when I move to a new setup.

I don’t know if I’d use vendor sales as an indicator of success or failure though. Most vendors just want to sell you something / anything, and the “it” product is MCS for this application and forum audience.

I know you have a shit ton of knowledge, and I’m not discounting your perspective.
So the RS Two. I know what JRZ was trying to do when they released a new line of dampers with the names RS Two and RS One but when they’ve already used RS2 and RS1, it gets confusing.

Again, I have nothing against JRZ and I was basing my recommendation on what I’ve read on the forums about the RS One and RS Two. I should have provided the data to the forum member and let him draw his own conclusion on whether to run them. I was in no way trying to state or imply all JRZ dampers are bad.

Good point.
Appreciate 1
DRLane3988.50
      04-14-2024, 12:48 AM   #36
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
So the RS Two. I know what JRZ was trying to do when they released a new line of dampers with the names RS Two and RS One but when they’ve already used RS2 and RS1, it gets confusing.

Again, I have nothing against JRZ and I was basing my recommendation on what I’ve read on the forums about the RS One and RS Two. I should have provided the data to the forum member and let him draw his own conclusion on whether to run them. I was in no way trying to state or imply all JRZ dampers are bad.

Good point.
Yes RSTwo, didn’t realize RS2 was a distinction.
      04-14-2024, 01:42 AM   #37
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Yes RSTwo, didn’t realize RS2 was a distinction.
They had issues with the RS1 and RS2 so when they released the next gen they went with RS One and RS Two. Like I said, nothing but confusion!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 04:11 PM   #38
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Ok I understood all that perfectly...

Lol thanks but most of that went over my head but the gist I got is the suspension just wasn't designed well and couldn't be improved. Maybe their DA is different/better.

Correct, non-EDC car. B8 have shorter travel so not ideal for comfort vs B6. As much as I want to save the money for Ohlins I agree with you that I rather do it right the first time. Wish I could ride in both and decide. Maybe I'll get lucky at an upcoming meet or something. Anyone in Chicago with either of these setups feeling generous?
I am in the Chicago area, and I've got a set of R&T's on order. you're welcome to experience them after they're installed in a few weeks.

great thread - I enjoyed reading some of the posts in here
Appreciate 1
a5m614.00
      04-15-2024, 04:26 PM   #39
a5m
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosef View Post
I am in the Chicago area, and I've got a set of R&T's on order. you're welcome to experience them after they're installed in a few weeks.

great thread - I enjoyed reading some of the posts in here
Thanks Brosef that'd be amazing! Yup lots of good info in here. Hopefully it helps anyone else looking now or in the future.
Appreciate 0