BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

04-03-2020, 12:22 PM   #1
patsbimmer1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 SSii M3

VRSF test pipes with Borla Atak review

I bought a few things recently and yesterday one of them showed up! I ordered a set of VRSF catless downpipes from Extreme Power House last week since ECS will not sell catless parts. I originally wanted Rogue Engineering test pipes from Bimmerworld because the price is great but they were out of stock and when I called it in they told me Rogue was terrible with in-stocks and they estimated at least 2-3 months. I did some searching and found that VRSF made a catless downpipe and it was only $20 more than the Rogue option on sale right now.

I had used VRSF in the past and trusted they would have a quality part at a great price and I wasn't disappointed. The installation was pretty straight forward. Remove the exhaust, measure where to cut, cut out cats, attach new pipes, floor it. The benefit is extra horsepower and increase in eargasms.

The video doesn't do this mod justice. I have it paired with the Borla Atak mufflers and in my opinion, it sounds phenomenal. It has added more bark and volume to the sound in the mid to upper rev range and added more depth and complexity to the overall tone through the range.. Apparently, without a tune, it has added more power but I can't honestly tell if it "feels" like more power because the noise has changed or if there actually is until I get it back on a dyno. I was worried about it being too loud but at cruising rpm's there is a only a slight increase in volume and it doesn't get loud unless I want it to.

95 325is *sold*
93 nissan 240sx KA-T *sold*

Last edited by patsbimmer1; 04-04-2020 at 03:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 08:53 AM   #2
CamasM3e93
Friends don't let friends ESS
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 Lemans Blue 6mt Harrop e90

Garage List
Thank you for this post. Does your setup retain the secondary cats? Does the ATAK replace the OEM resonators, to your memory? How do the tips look to you and do they stick out far from the bumper?

My wife just burnt her leg on my OEM tailpipe which sticks out just a touch on the outer most tips. I'm pitching an ATAK replacement, you know, for safety....lol
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2020, 10:52 AM   #3
Nisfro98
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mazda3

This sounds really good. Can you make a drive by vid? Id like to see how far this sound carries.
Appreciate 1
      12-22-2020, 09:58 AM   #4
patsbimmer1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 SSii M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamasM3e93 View Post
Thank you for this post. Does your setup retain the secondary cats? Does the ATAK replace the OEM resonators, to your memory? How do the tips look to you and do they stick out far from the bumper?

My wife just burnt her leg on my OEM tailpipe which sticks out just a touch on the outer most tips. I'm pitching an ATAK replacement, you know, for safety....lol
Still has the secondary cats. OEM resonators. The Atak is mufflers only. The tips don't bother me that much but I tend to favor results and function vs aesthetics. I have friends that would absolutely lose their mind because these tips don't sit flush with the bumper. Easy fix is to buy a rear diffuser, problem solved lol! As a side note, my 5 year old has attempted to use the tips as a step ladder multiple times in his life so at least they're sturdy and useful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisfro98 View Post
This sounds really good. Can you make a drive by vid? Id like to see how far this sound carries.
Drive by is going to be difficult right now in Wisconsin. The best example I've got I've attached below. We've got salt laid down and the car is put away in my back garage for the winter. Not having heard my car drive away from me yet I can say that it depends on how you drive it. Cruising through my subdivision at 27 mph in 3rd or 4th and it's very tame. Cruising in 2nd at 27mph and I can tell you exactly which 2 or 3 houses will yell at me as I drive by. I have also been told that my kids can hear the car coming and know when daddy is arriving to pick them up from school/daycare/grandparents and so on .

Here's a quick edit the guys at work did for a different video they shot. It gives a quick drive-by. Please excuse the quality, the degradation is on me and it's not the definition quality my team usually does.

This is inside but still gives you a good idea of the sound to redline.
95 325is *sold*
93 nissan 240sx KA-T *sold*

Last edited by patsbimmer1; 12-22-2020 at 10:17 AM..
Appreciate 0