BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

03-23-2021, 11:22 AM   #23
JIMN9NE
Private
Rep
Drives: M440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wootloops View Post
Interesting, I actually feel the opposite way about my B16... I really didn't notice a change on the stock EDC between the 3 settings. With the B16s, I definitely feel a difference between the 3 settings, especially on the highway. Sometimes I actually turn it down to the middle or lower setting on the highway because the max setting can be a little stiff over high speed bumps. At lower speeds around town its not as noticeable, though.
Yeah when they were installed I almost thought It couldn't be right and they could possibly have been installed incorrectly. I wasn't getting any codes and even had the shop that did my alignment a week later look at it and they said it was installed correctly. So I guess I am just a bit underwhelmed with them even though they do ride nice for daily driving.
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2021, 09:46 PM   #24
SilverSlug
Hey, where have you been all my life?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 6MT

Is it worth losing EDC for Ohlins??
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 10:08 PM   #25
Ervin87
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 | B5 S4 | E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSlug View Post
I have 0 regrets. I rarely used EDC anyway.
Appreciate 3
Denny347346.50
      03-23-2021, 10:08 PM   #26
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Quote:
Tough question - user dependent I think. I've never seen value in EDC cos I always knew I was gonna mod the suspension. Also having driven EDC I don't like how they have it set up. But that's just me.

Then again, I can see the value of having EDC for resale. And having the ability to switch between comfort and performance can be handy. Tho I don't think EDC Comfort is particularly comfortable, nor is the Sport setting particularly sporty.
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2021, 12:35 PM   #27
Dreamer99
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92M3

Quote:
Only if you do a few track days or want to lower your car.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 12:47 PM   #28
SilverSlug
United_States
Rep

I don't track my car at all, and although would like to lower it, there are tons of other options to accomplish this.

Seems like the Bilstein B16 kit is a better option since it retains full EDC functionality.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 01:58 PM   #29
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Prius

Quote:
I don't track my car at all, and although would like to lower it, there are tons of other options to accomplish this.

Seems like the Bilstein B16 kit is a better option since it retains full EDC functionality.
EDC is kinda dumb in my opinion. I had it on my m3 before the Ohlins and I have it on my GT3RS. The only time I ever even touch it on my gt3rs is for the track to make it stiffer.

The only time I change my settings on my Ohlins is to go to the track. You will most likely install your Ohlins and set them to 20 clicks and you will never touch them again.

More comfy than EDC comfort and better handling. You won't even want to change it. EDC is a modern gimmick and im sure the OEM one only changes rebound by very little between the modes.
      03-25-2021, 03:51 PM   #30
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPWINCH View Post
EDC is kinda dumb in my opinion. I had it on my m3 before the Ohlins and I have it on my GT3RS. The only time I ever even touch it on my gt3rs is for the track to make it stiffer.

The only time I change my settings on my Ohlins is to go to the track. You will most likely install your Ohlins and set them to 20 clicks and you will never touch them again.

More comfy than EDC comfort and better handling. You won't even want to change it. EDC is a modern gimmick and im sure the OEM one only changes rebound by very little between the modes.
I'll echo that EDC is a gimmick. EDC in the M3 only changes the dampening setting, it does not affect rebound. Actual roll stiffness is set with the spring, not the shocks. Changing EDC settings only makes the ride rougher without changing handling.
      10-31-2021, 08:27 PM   #31
CTMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 40i MSport/2011 E93 M3

SilverSlug did you ever make a decision? Any good comparisons between B16 and the KW DDC setup? I too have an E93, want to keep EDC, not tracking it, but would like something better than stock… thanks!
      11-02-2021, 10:51 AM   #32
Throatpunch
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Not a fan of most coils. Adjustment requires effort as if you want a good setup you will need to adjust height and settings yourself.

Second the aluminum bodied ones like KW can get messed up from the salty roads in the winter. I had a sleeve seize up in my evo.
Some coils also create noise due to no tension when weight is unsprung from body. Roller bearings and helper springs help most of the time but it's just another thing to worry about.
Appreciate 2
CTMike262.00
      11-02-2021, 04:06 PM   #33
SilverSlug
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMike View Post
SilverSlug did you ever make a decision? Any good comparisons between B16 and the KW DDC setup? I too have an E93, want to keep EDC, not tracking it, but would like something better than stock… thanks!
I ended up getting a great deal on a set of Eibach springs, so installed those, along with some shaved top hats and E36 bump stops, which allow stock shock travel, while providing a lower height and better handling. So far, I love it.

If I had to choose coils, I'd go with the B16 setup. It seems to have great reviews, are rebuildable, and allow you to retain EDC, but difficult to find and cost ~$2,500.

The Eibach set up is providing great bang for buck, and not too pricey.
Appreciate 1
CTMike262.00
      11-02-2021, 04:07 PM   #34
SilverSlug
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throatpunch View Post
Not a fan of most coils. Adjustment requires effort as if you want a good setup you will need to adjust height and settings yourself.

Second the aluminum bodied ones like KW can get messed up from the salty roads in the winter. I had a sleeve seize up in my evo.
Some coils also create noise due to no tension when weight is unsprung from body. Roller bearings and helper springs help most of the time but it's just another thing to worry about.
Good points. So, what are you rolling on in your M3?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 12:03 AM   #35
Throatpunch
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Quote:
Good points. So, what are you rolling on in your M3?
I just have HR springs. All my pain points were with my street legal Evo 8 AutoX/HPDE car I sold.

The only reason I see a need for coils is some specific suspension setup (I.e. adjustibility for track/autox) Or if you want some specific ride height for looks.
Appreciate 1