BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW
View Poll Results: What direction to go for suspension?
Ohlins R&T- upgrade springs/sway bars 17 54.84%
Go with new 3-way COs 14 45.16%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

03-08-2016, 12:50 PM   #1
Special_K
Assistant to the Regional Manager
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Ohlins R&T-- upgrade springs or go to new set up?

Been tracking with the Ohlins for 2 seasons now with factory rates (342/684), I never really noticed a huge difference over stock, was on EDC dampers with Eibach springs previously. Car did handle rebound a bit better but did not feel all that much stiffer on track. As I've progressed as a driver I am starting to feel where individual rebound/compression adjustment might help- on inclines where the car gets light, tight series of turns, over FIA curbs, etc.

Car still sees normal roads on sunny days + 10-12 track days a year, but my 4runner has turned into my dd these days. Ideally the car still needs to be compliant on roads for occasional drives down the coast but also needs to be stiffer/more aggressive on track.

So I see it this way-
Option 1- Upgrade to Swift Springs (448/784) and maybe upgrade sway bars (E93 or RD sport).

Option 2- Bite the bullet and purchase new 3 way set up (KW CS 3-way, Ohlins TTX, JRZ RS-Pro). Possibly add sway bars but I'd like to see how these feel without first, especially for the price.

I believe labor costs will be roughly the same with either option so I'd like to do this once. Any insights would be great, especially from those who upgraded their Ohlins R&T and from those who have swapped out COs to a more aggressive set up!

Last edited by Special_K; 03-09-2016 at 02:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 06:31 PM   #2
info@trinityautosport
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

We would recommend a JRZ/Swift spring setup. We've actually have had a few customers switch from Ohlins to JRZ and preferred the JRZ's. We personally as well like to use JRZ/Swift setups on everything we can.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 08:41 AM   #3
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTSx2/X5M

Unfortunately, the Ohlins R&T is not a 'track setup' at all.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 09:27 AM   #4
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

I never tracked on my Ohlins but I can say that my KW Clubsports only feel ever so slightly less compliant on the street than the Ohlins but you can tell body roll has been drastically reduced and overall the car feels much lighter and sharper on its feet.

I imagine JRZs feel awesome but I can't justify those for my level of track use at this point. Sounds like you can, though.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 10:18 AM   #5
okusa
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3 - SSII

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow
This. If the dampers aren't doing the job at those spring rates then there's no hope. Add stiffer springs and you will just be driving around on springs and your dampers will be doing nothing.
      03-09-2016, 10:46 AM   #6
DB
M3/Raptor
United_States
Rep
Drives: to the track

I believe I've read that the Ohlins can be revalved to work properly with stiffer springs. Perhaps that is an option for you?
      03-09-2016, 02:30 PM   #7
Special_K
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB View Post
I believe I've read that the Ohlins can be revalved to work properly with stiffer springs. Perhaps that is an option for you?
Yea, I did speak with Ohlins and they said the dampers can handle up to 30% increase in spring rate with the factory valving. I'm sure it's not optimal but would be the low cost option of the 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujan View Post
I never tracked on my Ohlins but I can say that my KW Clubsports only feel ever so slightly less compliant on the street than the Ohlins but you can tell body roll has been drastically reduced and overall the car feels much lighter and sharper on its feet.
Thanks Hujan , are you on 2 or 3-way KW CS?
      03-09-2016, 03:18 PM   #8
Special_K
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by info@trinityautosport View Post
We would recommend a JRZ/Swift spring setup. We've actually have had a few customers switch from Ohlins to JRZ and preferred the JRZ's. We personally as well like to use JRZ/Swift setups on everything we can.
info@trinityautosport Thanks, so what spring rates are you recommending for a car that sees dual duty?
      03-09-2016, 03:22 PM   #9
okusa
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3 - SSII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special_K View Post
Thanks, info@trinityautosport Good info, what spring rates are you recommending for the RS-Pro? Assuming the car sees dual duty?
Mine came 550/750 from JRZ. When my car saw dual duty it was AMAZING on the street (and track). I've since upped the rear rate since I now have aero.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 03:48 PM   #10
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:

Thanks Hujan , are you on 2 or 3-way KW CS?
2-way. Street compliance will only get better with the 3-way, of course, since you add low-speed compression control.

I will say that, IMO, the single biggest factor in the performance of a coilover system is proper setup. I would take a properly set up lower-cost coilover system over an incorrectly set up expensive system all day long.

I had my Clubsports installed and dialed in by MRF Engineering and everyone I know who has had their suspensions setup by MRF have been very pleased with them. Not sure that is a realistic option for you given that you appear to be in WA, but just throwing that out there in case you are planning a trip to SoCal.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 06:56 PM   #11
info@trinityautosport
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

Quote:
info@trinityautosport Thanks, so what spring rates are you recommending for a car that sees dual duty?
Pm'd.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 08:01 PM   #12
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Option 2! You can sell your Ohlins to offset the cost. I might also consider MCS, fan of JRZ also.
      03-11-2016, 03:03 PM   #13
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6

I have Ohlins R&T on my E92M3 and don't understand bad rep of these coilovers on this forum
I have been tracking my car with Ohlins for two seasons now and I love it. Is it as good as other more so called track oriented systems?
Maybe, but I have been going against similarly prepped e9x m3 cars with MCS, JRZ, KW clubsports in the advanced groups and never had to give them a point by yet.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 10:05 PM   #14
Move Over
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 6MT

Hey there, I actually was in the same boat, actually upgraded the springs to a 448/784 swift setup (i ordered direct from swift, and vorshlag and saved quite a bit of money over some of the quotes i got on here) wound up like 350 out of pocket for the upgrade. I had the stock ohlins on when I was dailying the car, and they served that purpose great for double duty.

Even then, that setup left me wanting a little more (specifically on the track, street it was a friggen awesome setup), especially on the front end of the car. I immediately noticed more oversteer as it firmed up the rear end of the car a bit, which I was ok with. I noticed the front of the vehicle started pushing quite a bit on fast sweepers at Roebling Road (look up track map for details). I sold the ohlins, and switched to a 2 Way clubsport setup, and, while still livable on the street, they are better on the track.

Can you get good performance out of the ohlins on the track? You bet. But for an equal trade off (I wound up breaking even), I would look towards the clubsports. My .02 from a guy who went through the same thing you are! Let me know if you have any other questions.
      03-12-2016, 03:46 PM   #15
Special_K
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by okusa View Post
Mine came 550/750 from JRZ. When my car saw dual duty it was AMAZING on the street (and track). I've since upped the rear rate since I now have aero.
Good info, thank you. I'm just running the M perf pieces at this time but could change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpilot View Post
Maybe, but I have been going against similarly prepped e9x m3 cars with MCS, JRZ, KW clubsports in the advanced groups and never had to give them a point by yet.
I'm in fairly the same boat, A group and just became a BMW CCA instructor . I've run against a few other similarly prepped E9X M3s (JRZ 2way and KW CS) and we are fairly close with each other. Still feel like the car would benefit from a more track oriented set up, probably mostly due to how fat our cars are- my car isn't stripped or anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Move Over View Post
Can you get good performance out of the ohlins on the track? You bet. But for an equal trade off (I wound up breaking even), I would look towards the clubsports. My .02 from a guy who went through the same thing you are! Let me know if you have any other questions.
Great feedback! I was considering the KW CS 3way...did you go 2way for the cost benefit of breaking even? Something tells me that if I go KW CS 2way in another year I'll have wished I just ponied up for 3way!
      03-12-2016, 03:47 PM   #16
Special_K
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by okusa View Post
This. If the dampers aren't doing the job at those spring rates then there's no hope. Add stiffer springs and you will just be driving around on springs and your dampers will be doing nothing.
But it specifically states, "& Track" in it's name!
      03-12-2016, 03:51 PM   #17
Special_K
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujan View Post
I had my Clubsports installed and dialed in by MRF Engineering and everyone I know who has had their suspensions setup by MRF have been very pleased with them. Not sure that is a realistic option for you given that you appear to be in WA, but just throwing that out there in case you are planning a trip to SoCal.
Thanks Hujan . Can you clarify a bit on how MRF set these up so well? Did they do your alignment specs, or corner balance, or both? Or just which settings (comp/reb) for dd and track driving? Curious what they did different than a normal shop...
      06-05-2016, 11:13 AM   #18
apexkingjusto
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, Nasa ST2 S2000

I have ohlins with upgraded springs on my s2000. I upgraded to custom built penskes and it was night and day, this also with full monoballs, cage, r7's...

Just got a set of ohlins for m3 (DD), I may use it to sneak out to the track for a DE day sometime without wife knowing (a lot easier to sneak out to track without tow car, trailer, and missing race car from garage lol). I'm curious to compare how it does with the ohlins now...
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2016, 01:04 PM   #19
Special_K
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexkingjusto View Post
I have ohlins with upgraded springs on my s2000. I upgraded to custom built penskes and it was night and day, this also with full monoballs, cage, r7's...

Just got a set of ohlins for m3 (DD), I may use it to sneak out to the track for a DE day sometime without wife knowing (a lot easier to sneak out to track without tow car, trailer, and missing race car from garage lol). I'm curious to compare how it does with the ohlins now...

My car had EDC and I had Eibach springs on there with the OE dampers. I can feel a little difference with my Ohlins R&T but quite honestly it's not night and day like you described with the S2000 (are you one their race line/ttx line?), but I was sure hoping it would be. I'm also getting about -3.0 front camber with the new camber plates so that alone probably accounts for half of the increase in handling. That being said they are still great on the rough streets around Seattle.

But I also don't see many who went with the Swift springs on the Ohlins saying that made a huge difference either. I miss the ease of adjustability with the EDC button, it's almost worth the slight increase in handling to just have that back, for aggressive street driving at least. I'm not really that keen to pull over several times and twist knobs for a few hours drive. Not an issue at the track since I'm swapping tires anyways
      03-08-2019, 02:39 PM   #20
TTony
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Macan Turbo, IS350

are the swift springs linear rate and straight? I'm looking for a set of springs that will make my Ohlins compatible with this air cup front end lift kit (https://www.outcastgarage.com/produc...nt-air-cup-kit). I'm tired of going through front end splitters.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 10:27 PM   #21
Kwakjoe
Private
Rep
Drives: 2003 E46 M3

I'd upgrade. I run TCK DA's for dual duty and they do a good job.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 02:40 AM   #22
kyippee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Supra MK5, F44 235GC

Quote:
My car had EDC and I had Eibach springs on there with the OE dampers. I can feel a little difference with my Ohlins R&T but quite honestly it's not night and day like you described with the S2000 (are you one their race line/ttx line?), but I was sure hoping it would be. I'm also getting about -3.0 front camber with the new camber plates so that alone probably accounts for half of the increase in handling. That being said they are still great on the rough streets around Seattle.

But I also don't see many who went with the Swift springs on the Ohlins saying that made a huge difference either. I miss the ease of adjustability with the EDC button, it's almost worth the slight increase in handling to just have that back, for aggressive street driving at least. I'm not really that keen to pull over several times and twist knobs for a few hours drive. Not an issue at the track since I'm swapping tires anyways
Not night and day?? Wow it was night and day for me when I switched from stock EDC/ZCP to JRZ RS One 550/800. Hmmmm
Appreciate 0