BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

EXXEL Distributions

03-06-2009, 08:58 AM   #1
dizman7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 99 E36 M3 Cabio

USB Flash Drive for music cutting out?

Not sure if anyone else has had these problems. I haven't tested it but I'm hoping this issue is because I don't have a BMW approved USB Flash drive.

I have a PNY Atouche 8GB USB Flash drive that I've loaded my music onto. I just put all the MP3 files on there, no folders or anything. I also have the drive plugged directly into the USB port in the center console, not using the cable.

I'm noticing two different problems:

1) It's random but pretty often (several times a day) when listening to music from the flash drive it will just randomly stop and switch to the radio (and no I'm not accidently pressing the iDrive controller or the button on the steering wheel (mine is set for mute not change audio source)). I have USB as a shortcut button, but if I press it right away after it switches to radio it pops up with "this programmable key is currently not available". But if I wait a few seconds THEN press the shortcut it will start playing exactly where it left off on the flash drive.

2) I took me a while to notice this but if I use the Random track feature when listening to music from the flash drive it will randomly choose from about 30 songs only (out of about 400 some I put on the flash drive). I'm kind of picky about what song I want to listen too depending on the mood I'm in, so I often just skip to next track, sometimes several times in a row. I noticed it on a 30 min trip where I was skip a lot and it just keep looping the same 20-30 songs even though it was on Random.

So anyone else had these issues, or have tips on how to solve/troubleshoot them?
      03-08-2009, 09:17 PM   #2
dizman7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 99 E36 M3 Cabio

So no one else has had these issues?

I went to try and buy one of the BMW recommended USB drives but couldn't find a store that carries those models anymore and wasn't having much luck online (BMW's list is kind of out of date).

So I tried my iPhone out to see if it was the USB, or just THAT USB drive I have. the iPhone so far worked flawlessly and what I was looking for, though I hate to take it out of my pocket and plug it in every single time I get in and out of the car. I know that probably doesn't sound like much but that's about at least 4 times a day (just for going to work) of plugging/unplugging, that'l get all. So think I'm going to get a iPod Nano for the car to solve this issue.
      03-09-2009, 04:56 AM   #3
slacker
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Convertible

Probably a bad flash drive

I just got my M3 and love the ability to use my $15 8GB USB flash drive instead of IPOD. I wouldn't worry to much about BMW's USB flash drive list since they are all pretty much the same. My recomendation is you buy a Super Talent Pico C 8 GB flash drive since it is very small and you don't need to use the extension cable to avoid busting the flash drive. The only issue with the PICO model flash drives is you have to plug it it the correct way since they are to small to have the standard USB connector. Nothing will break if you plug it in wrong, it just won't play any music.
You can buy them at Newegg here...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820609296
or just search "Super Talent PICO"
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 06:35 PM   #4
TAAXED
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizman7 View Post
Not sure if anyone else has had these problems. I haven't tested it but I'm hoping this issue is because I don't have a BMW approved USB Flash drive.

I have a PNY Atouche 8GB USB Flash drive that I've loaded my music onto. I just put all the MP3 files on there, no folders or anything. I also have the drive plugged directly into the USB port in the center console, not using the cable.

I'm noticing two different problems:

1) It's random but pretty often (several times a day) when listening to music from the flash drive it will just randomly stop and switch to the radio (and no I'm not accidently pressing the iDrive controller or the button on the steering wheel (mine is set for mute not change audio source)). I have USB as a shortcut button, but if I press it right away after it switches to radio it pops up with "this programmable key is currently not available". But if I wait a few seconds THEN press the shortcut it will start playing exactly where it left off on the flash drive.

2) I took me a while to notice this but if I use the Random track feature when listening to music from the flash drive it will randomly choose from about 30 songs only (out of about 400 some I put on the flash drive). I'm kind of picky about what song I want to listen too depending on the mood I'm in, so I often just skip to next track, sometimes several times in a row. I noticed it on a 30 min trip where I was skip a lot and it just keep looping the same 20-30 songs even though it was on Random.

So anyone else had these issues, or have tips on how to solve/troubleshoot them?
I've got the same problem as you on my 2007 M3...where it suddenly cuts out, did you end up finding a solution?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 08:50 PM   #5
Andy001
Rep
Drives: BMW

Buy a suitable USB flash drive. I usually plug my mp3 into AUX In at the back of my 12vcity stereo to listen to music
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 12:55 AM   #6
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

I have an '08 with a WalMart flash drive always connected, and never an issue. I think it has more to do the way files were recorded than the drive itself IMO . There're several ways to record MP3 files, and several different bit rates as well. Good luck.
Appreciate 0