BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Mporium BMW

08-26-2011, 10:46 AM   #1
Sandye90m3
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

Differential Problem??

Hey everyone, hope the you and the M's are well. I recently went to my friends cabin which was about 500kms away. I arrived their, and the car drove beautifully. My 2009 e90 M3 DCT was parked for 3-4 days and I started driving back. The issue, I believe started here:

I was driving going somewhat downhill and when I would take my foot off the accelerator the car would engine break by itself (not to sure how to explain it, but it happens to every car and most evidently in the M3). However this time, when I let go of the accelerator, it took the car a couple of seconds to start engine breaking. I would ease of the accelerator and the car would seem like it's coasting in 7th (without the engine breaking) and then all of a sudden I would hear a little bump, coming from the back of the car and then it would start engine breaking. It would happen continuously if I tapped the throttle and let go.

The transmission has felt a little bit more clunkier ever sense.

And most recently if I am driving the car a little bit hard, I hear a little whine coming from the tranny. It's a very faint whine, however I thought I would just put that out their.

After I am done driving, and step out of the car after I turned it off. I would hear some liquid splashing on a very hot pan (bare with me, it's the only way of describing it LOL) and then start sizzling from the engine.

Also, sometimes when I'm driving, I would upshift and the revs would not dip at all until a second or two later and I would get a little bang from the back and then the car would be in it's next gear.

One last thing to mention, if I am stopped. Sometimes I would just take my foot of the brake and put my foot on the throttle and the car would bump forward (as if some iron man gave me a slight boot from the back of the car) and then off I go. It is a very subtile bump and I'm not to sure what it is. I'm pretty sure it's a differential problem but then again, I don't know to much about the mechanical parts of the car.

I don't know if I'm being paranoid however I never felt my car act this way. I just crossed 25,000kms on it and I have had the transmission replaced at 13,500kms and 13,550kms (back to back because when it was replaced the first time, the car still had the problem). I hope someone can help me out. Maybe I'm just being to cautious, because other than that the car is pulling as hard as it was since day 1. One day I said, if there is anything to go wrong, it will go wrong if I put my foot down and let the revs build and then dump the clutch at 4K mark. Mind you, this is what DCT does if you put your foot down past the button on the throttle when you are at a stop. Even after that, the car drove perfectly. Maybe I'm driving the car like a granny and not hard enough?

Thanks guys, please help me out!
      08-26-2011, 10:09 PM   #2
Sandye90m3
Major
Canada
Rep

Soooo, I guess I have a unique vehicle guys
      08-26-2011, 10:23 PM   #3
Asiarush
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 488 GTB

sorry to hear that man, it sounds like a problem.
those things happen to me sometimes too but its not consistant. it happens every now and then so I dont know if its a problem or not. (talking about the feel of bump in the tranny every now and then).
the breaking of the engine though never happened to me.
take it in and let them check it sa long as you are under warranty.

by the way, can you explain what you said about reving the car up with the dct from a stopping point ? i never knew it was possible and was wandering about it.

thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 10:49 PM   #4
TrackReady
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: QuikSlvR

I had the same problem with my 09 DCT. The problem is the Gear Selector Switch(GWS). If you keep driving with the problem, it will generate a fault code of 5062.

Have your dealer perform Test Plan B2360-DKPAS-M3-DKG
2009 GT-R ( Track Monster )
2008 Lotus Exige
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 10:54 PM   #5
taleof2bricks
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

I have an'08 MT, and I did have a differential "issue".

When I would back the car out of my garage and turn to the right to go on my way, I used to hear a "groaning" sound.

I bought the car w/ 27k on it earlier this year, and I only noticed the issue after I got the car back from an "extended service appointment (nothing major, just a new crate motor, due to that whole rod bearing thing ).

I took the car back to the stealership, explained the sound, and they returned the car about 3 hours later. The service order indicated that the differential had been drained and refilled). The advisor indicated something to the effect that in some cases, they needed to replace the fluid w/ something different....but that could've just been something he made up!

Seems to have resolved the issue, but in my case, there was no ironman "bump", just a distinct, groaning noise that resembled a bad wheel bearing (but wasn't).
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 05:17 PM   #6
Sandye90m3
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiarush View Post
sorry to hear that man, it sounds like a problem.
those things happen to me sometimes too but its not consistant. it happens every now and then so I dont know if its a problem or not. (talking about the feel of bump in the tranny every now and then).
the breaking of the engine though never happened to me.
take it in and let them check it sa long as you are under warranty.

by the way, can you explain what you said about reving the car up with the dct from a stopping point ? i never knew it was possible and was wandering about it.

thanks
Yeah, maybe I'm just panicking but it happens every now and then too.

Regarding the car revving up and dumping the clutch on a DCT. You have to be completely stationary, and then floor the car past the button on the accelerator. When you do that, the revs will build up to 4500RPM it then it will dump the clutch and off you go. This all happens in a matter of 1.0sec. Make sure traction control is off. It's similar to a mini launch control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackReady View Post
I had the same problem with my 09 DCT. The problem is the Gear Selector Switch(GWS). If you keep driving with the problem, it will generate a fault code of 5062.

Okay, I will. What exactly were your experiencing? Jerkyness of the car, differential bumps from the back of the car?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by taleof2bricks View Post
I have an'08 MT, and I did have a differential "issue".

When I would back the car out of my garage and turn to the right to go on my way, I used to hear a "groaning" sound.

I bought the car w/ 27k on it earlier this year, and I only noticed the issue after I got the car back from an "extended service appointment (nothing major, just a new crate motor, due to that whole rod bearing thing ).

I took the car back to the stealership, explained the sound, and they returned the car about 3 hours later. The service order indicated that the differential had been drained and refilled). The advisor indicated something to the effect that in some cases, they needed to replace the fluid w/ something different....but that could've just been something he made up!

Seems to have resolved the issue, but in my case, there was no ironman "bump", just a distinct, groaning noise that resembled a bad wheel bearing (but wasn't).
Hmm, I'll keep that in mind.

Thanks.
      10-29-2018, 09:09 PM   #7
madrit21
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandye90m3 View Post
Hey everyone, hope the you and the M's are well. I recently went to my friends cabin which was about 500kms away. I arrived their, and the car drove beautifully. My 2009 e90 M3 DCT was parked for 3-4 days and I started driving back. The issue, I believe started here:

I was driving going somewhat downhill and when I would take my foot off the accelerator the car would engine break by itself (not to sure how to explain it, but it happens to every car and most evidently in the M3). However this time, when I let go of the accelerator, it took the car a couple of seconds to start engine breaking. I would ease of the accelerator and the car would seem like it's coasting in 7th (without the engine breaking) and then all of a sudden I would hear a little bump, coming from the back of the car and then it would start engine breaking. It would happen continuously if I tapped the throttle and let go.

The transmission has felt a little bit more clunkier ever sense.

And most recently if I am driving the car a little bit hard, I hear a little whine coming from the tranny. It's a very faint whine, however I thought I would just put that out their.

After I am done driving, and step out of the car after I turned it off. I would hear some liquid splashing on a very hot pan (bare with me, it's the only way of describing it LOL) and then start sizzling from the engine.

Also, sometimes when I'm driving, I would upshift and the revs would not dip at all until a second or two later and I would get a little bang from the back and then the car would be in it's next gear.

One last thing to mention, if I am stopped. Sometimes I would just take my foot of the brake and put my foot on the throttle and the car would bump forward (as if some iron man gave me a slight boot from the back of the car) and then off I go. It is a very subtile bump and I'm not to sure what it is. I'm pretty sure it's a differential problem but then again, I don't know to much about the mechanical parts of the car.

I don't know if I'm being paranoid however I never felt my car act this way. I just crossed 25,000kms on it and I have had the transmission replaced at 13,500kms and 13,550kms (back to back because when it was replaced the first time, the car still had the problem). I hope someone can help me out. Maybe I'm just being to cautious, because other than that the car is pulling as hard as it was since day 1. One day I said, if there is anything to go wrong, it will go wrong if I put my foot down and let the revs build and then dump the clutch at 4K mark. Mind you, this is what DCT does if you put your foot down past the button on the throttle when you are at a stop. Even after that, the car drove perfectly. Maybe I'm driving the car like a granny and not hard enough?

Thanks guys, please help me out!
"One last thing to mention, if I am stopped. Sometimes I would just take my foot of the brake and put my foot on the throttle and the car would bump forward (as if some iron man gave me a slight boot from the back of the car) and then off I go. It is a very subtile bump and I'm not to sure what it is. I'm pretty sure it's a differential problem but then again, I don't know to much about the mechanical parts of the car. "

I am having this problem^^^^ did you figure out what the issue was???
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 09:15 PM   #8
madrit21
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackReady View Post

What were the symptoms of the gear selector switch that you were experiencing?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 10:45 PM   #9
Sandye90m3
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrit21 View Post
"One last thing to mention, if I am stopped. Sometimes I would just take my foot of the brake and put my foot on the throttle and the car would bump forward (as if some iron man gave me a slight boot from the back of the car) and then off I go. It is a very subtile bump and I'm not to sure what it is. I'm pretty sure it's a differential problem but then again, I don't know to much about the mechanical parts of the car. "

Quote:

So wow, reviving my thread from the dead.

I now have 210,000 kms on my car and never changed anything in the car so I have no idea what I was talking about when I wrote this thread...

At around 100,000 kms I had the GTS DCT software installed which is a must for everyone.

Like I said in my original post at 25,000kms, the car still runs like new after 205,000 kms. I just made 385whp on the dyno the other day
      10-29-2018, 10:49 PM   #10
madrit21
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandye90m3 View Post
Quote:

Quote:

So wow, reviving my thread from the dead.

I now have 210,000 kms on my car and never changed anything in the car so I have no idea what I was talking about when I wrote this thread...

At around 100,000 kms I had the GTS DCT software installed which is a must for everyone.

Like I said in my original post at 25,000kms, the car still runs like new after 205,000 kms. I just made 385whp on the dyno the other day
Im having a similar problem with mine. I had the gts software installed but didnt help my problem. I'll be at a red light and when i give it gas to accelerate there is a buck as if someone were to rear end my car. All the other gears shift perfect. Its just off acceleration. Any idea?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 01:22 AM   #11
LSM3
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: F06 ///M6 GranCoupe

I have had this issue before. My mechanic performed a clutch recalibration or adaptation (or whatever). The problem didn't go away immediately afterwards, however did so after driving it over a few days.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 03:21 AM   #12
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Sounds like DCT clunk.