BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Mporium BMW

04-30-2009, 02:01 AM   #23
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiation Joe View Post
Naw, the rears adjust by a turning the blade at the top of the shaft.
The TCK S/A is a hybrid system. The rear dampers require to be compressed for adjustments. The front uses a machined sleeve and thread lower spring perch, not a threaded body strut like the D/As.

The photo posted is a D/A system for an E36.

One of the things TCK did not mention on their site is that their coilover kit must be used with camber plates, so budget another $400-500 for the kit.

The TCK S/A is a good entry level system.

Last edited by HP Autosport; 04-30-2009 at 02:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2009, 02:04 AM   #24
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
No. You just take the white plastic knob, place it on the top of the shaft (inside the trunk under a cover), and turn it.
This is the traditional Koni rear damper, not the top adjust version. The only top adjust you will get is in the D/A version.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2009, 02:11 AM   #25
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Here is an alternative to the Koni system. Comes in both S/A, D/A or triple adjust. Custome spring height and rates.

E82/E9X 1 and 3 series coilover shown here. The M3 system will be very similar with different rear dampers.

Shown with optional helper/tender springs.

Please go to this link for more info:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252017
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2009, 06:32 AM   #26
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
The TCK S/A is a hybrid system. The rear dampers require to be compressed for adjustments. The front uses a machined sleeve and thread lower spring perch, not a threaded body strut like the D/As.

The photo posted is a D/A system for an E36.

One of the things TCK did not mention on their site is that their coilover kit must be used with camber plates, so budget another $400-500 for the kit.

Have you seen this system? Do you know this for a fact?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2009, 09:28 AM   #27
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Have you seen this system? Do you know this for a fact?
Yes, we are a TC Kline dealer. Not only we have seen it, we have sold and install a couple of them.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2009, 02:19 PM   #28
mpegripper
Private
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

i assume this is only on the e9x? cuz my e46 can be adjusted no problem in the rear
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 06:01 PM   #29
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
Quote:
Yes, we are a TC Kline dealer. Not only we have seen it, we have sold and install a couple of them.
Well if you've installed them, then you should know that they adjust by knob at the top of the shock. I just got off the phone with Pete and he confirmed the shock design.

Next time you get ready to plug your no-name coil-over kits on this forum, please don't make false statements about a reputable, well liked organization like TCKline.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 06:53 PM   #30
mpegripper
Private
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Well if you've installed them, then you should know that they adjust by knob at the top of the shock. I just got off the phone with Pete and he confirmed the shock design.

Next time you get ready to plug your no-name coil-over kits on this forum, please don't make false statements about a reputable, well liked organization like TCKline.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2009, 01:34 AM   #31
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:

My facts came from TCKline as well and we are one of their dealer/installers. Negative comments will only hurt our business and TCK's.

You are correct if we were talking about the D/A on the E9X M3 rear damper, which is not exactly an E9X M3 damper, but an E46 M3 rear damper modified to work on the E9X M3. However, some S/A rear dampers were shipped without the top adjust, which was confirmed by TCKline's local warehouse here in Santa Barbara.

The no name coilover system you mentioned happen to be our coilover system with AST struts and dampers. If you look into it further with a bit of reserch, it is right in-line in performance and quality with names such as JRZ and Moton. There are many community members running our coilover systems with great feedbacks. Drive one and compare.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2009, 10:28 AM   #32
Patricius
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 325xi, 05 M3 cpe, 08 M3 cpe

Quote:
To say that any TCKline kit "entry level" is either an underestimate due to lack of experience with their products or based on delusion/bias toward another manufacturer.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2009, 10:55 AM   #33
TUNEDM3
Stay Ripping
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:

HAHAHA....The AST Dampers are not no name. HPAutowerkes is correct as I ordered a TC S/A kit and was very disappointed when it came in. I returned it the next day. Its exactly as HPAutowerkes stated. Its a frankenstein of a kit using basic Koni Yellows off a E90 325/330 and E36/e46 rear shocks and adaptors to convert them to a coilover kit. The pics you see on the TC sight is for the E36 M3.

The reason the TC Kits require plates is because all the shocks they are using were designed to fit a multiple number of cars. The sizing of the shaft will not fit the stock strut hats as it was never intended for that specific chassis. Plates allow them to make it fit. TCK does not have the resources to build specific kits for each car. They just make it work.

As far as the quality of the AST Damper they are def a step up from the TCK Konis. Moton, JRZ, Ohlins, AST all were founded by engineers who all used to work together at Koni.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2009, 10:59 AM   #34
TUNEDM3
Stay Ripping
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius View Post
To say that any TCKline kit "entry level" is either an underestimate due to lack of experience with their products or based on delusion/bias toward another manufacturer.

Yeah...he is right TC SA kit is entry level. Dont get me wrong...it works, but its nothing special.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2009, 12:28 PM   #35
Patricius
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUNEDM3 View Post
Yeah...he is right TC SA kit is entry level. Dont get me wrong...it works, but its nothing special.
Entry level to what? Compared to KW v3? GC? H&R? Tein?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2009, 03:50 PM   #36
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius View Post
Entry level to what? Compared to KW v3? GC? H&R? Tein?
JRZ, Moton, Ohlins, Penske
      05-02-2009, 03:57 PM   #37
Patricius
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
JRZ, Moton, Ohlins, Penske
Ok... More specifically - For kits that are actually available for the e9X M3, what (aside from Moton) are not "entry level" coilovers.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2009, 04:12 PM   #38
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
I give up.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2009, 05:37 PM   #39
TUNEDM3
Stay Ripping
Rep

Quote:
I give up.
Its not a contest to prove who is right or wrong...just trying to speak the truth and discuss each others experience and knowledge on a subject.

I am currently in the market for a coilover kit for my E90 and am having a rough time deciding on a setup. I went with the TCK kit based on past experience and was very disappointed when it arrived. I have had experience with both TCK stuff and AST stuff personally on my own car and can tell you that the AST shocks are superior to the TCK/Koni stuff. If you check over on bimmerforums you will see other first hand experiences. TCK stuff was great when it came out about 10 years ago, but since then things have changed. TCK has never updated there camber plates nor care to. The crazy part is that they were losing so much market share to Vorshlag that they began to sell their plates. Doesn't that tell you something?

Again I am not badmouthing the company...I am just speaking the truth. I tell it as I see it. No other way.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2009, 06:05 PM   #40
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R

Im sure GC has something in the works.
Personally, I think the new Moton kit is the way to on the e9X M3s. You can't go wrong with Motons.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2009, 06:33 PM   #41
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by STALKER View Post
Im sure GC has something in the works.
Personally, I think the new Moton kit is the way to on the e9X M3s. You can't go wrong with Motons.
Motons, AST, etc. are just wrong in 95% of the applications. Who on this list is going to buy the equipment to recharge the Nitrogen in the canisters? Who on this list understands how to balance springs/ride height/nitrogen pressure/bushings/damping settings. Damn few in my opinion. That leaves the question of why people are buying this stuff when in almost every case, they would have a better handling and riding car with a basic system.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2009, 09:52 PM   #42
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
My facts came from TCKline as well and we are one of their dealer/installers. Negative comments will only hurt our business and TCK's.

You are correct if we were talking about the D/A on the E9X M3 rear damper, which is not exactly an E9X M3 damper, but an E46 M3 rear damper modified to work on the E9X M3. However, some S/A rear dampers were shipped without the top adjust, which was confirmed by TCKline's local warehouse here in Santa Barbara.

The no name coilover system you mentioned happen to be our coilover system with AST struts and dampers. If you look into it further with a bit of reserch, it is right in-line in performance and quality with names such as JRZ and Moton. There are many community members running our coilover systems with great feedbacks. Drive one and compare.
Thanks for the info on the TCK kit. I though it looked like a basic Koni shock, which would require removal and compression to adjust it.
What kind of springs do you use with your kits? Please let us know when they're available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUNEDM3 View Post
HAHAHA....The AST Dampers are not no name. HPAutowerkes is correct as I ordered a TC S/A kit and was very disappointed when it came in. I returned it the next day. Its exactly as HPAutowerkes stated. Its a frankenstein of a kit using basic Koni Yellows off a E90 325/330 and E36/e46 rear shocks and adaptors to convert them to a coilover kit. The pics you see on the TC sight is for the E36 M3.

The reason the TC Kits require plates is because all the shocks they are using were designed to fit a multiple number of cars. The sizing of the shaft will not fit the stock strut hats as it was never intended for that specific chassis. Plates allow them to make it fit. TCK does not have the resources to build specific kits for each car. They just make it work.

As far as the quality of the AST Damper they are def a step up from the TCK Konis. Moton, JRZ, Ohlins, AST all were founded by engineers who all used to work together at Koni.
Thanks for explaining how TCK got a kit out so fast for this car.

As for the Moton's, aren't they around $4k+? That's a different league.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 09:14 AM   #43
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R

Quote:
Motons, AST, etc. are just wrong in 95% of the applications. Who on this list is going to buy the equipment to recharge the Nitrogen in the canisters? Who on this list understands how to balance springs/ride height/nitrogen pressure/bushings/damping settings. Damn few in my opinion. That leaves the question of why people are buying this stuff when in almost every case, they would have a better handling and riding car with a basic system.
The new Moton Street Sport kit has done away with the canisters.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 03:07 AM   #44
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Remember AST has a well designed S/A system and it is easily adjusted by the enduser. You don't need to get the 5000 series inverted struts with triple adjust.
Appreciate 0