BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

03-27-2023, 10:13 AM   #1
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray

I’d there a car-play system for my M3?

I’ve been off the forum for a long time and my M3 is in need of some work and upgrades.

I think, is the CCC system with iDrive and DVD maps. Map never works anymore and I think it’s the DVD finally has small scratches. The stereo/iDrive display will crash once in a while listening to music via my iPod.

I’ve looked ad Bremmen and stumbled across the eonon system but seems those are not compatible. What are my options, if any, to upgrade my system and retain iDrive functions with the display head?

RB

Last edited by BimmerRob08; 03-27-2023 at 10:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2023, 05:00 PM   #2
RocketyMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53 X5, E83 X3, E93 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E93  [10.00]
Just upgrade to a CIC and combox.

I did it...wasn't too hard...followed instructions...and bam! BT phone feature with details and sounds great! Perfect integration and relatively inexpensive parts all sourced. Oh...and my maps are now up to date with 2021.

R135
└┼┼┼
Appreciate 1
Ali-E90378.50
      03-27-2023, 05:24 PM   #3
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketyMan View Post
Just upgrade to a CIC and combox.

I did it...wasn't too hard...followed instructions...and bam! BT phone feature with details and sounds great! Perfect integration and relatively inexpensive parts all sourced. Oh...and my maps are now up to date with 2021.
Thanks man. I was reviewing this thread here and it's pretty lengthy so will need to dig further. https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1788909 and seems like good tips.

As for what you mentioned, can I go with this system here? https://www.android-car-dvd.com/coll...33378244952200

How exactly did you upgrade to a CIC and combox? Is it a kit or did you have to purchase parts separately?

cheers,
RB
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2023, 05:36 PM   #4
RocketyMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E93  [10.00]
Anyone that charges for a "kit" charges OUTRAGEOUS prices for what it's worth. I think I did mine for the CIC HU, screen, USB harness, COMBOX, KUFATEC harness....was like $359.

I do not particularly care for ANY of the "android" kits/mmi kits. I used something similar with my X5, and it was trash. Just crappy implementation with a lot of flare--but this is just my opinion....not to mention that the quality of OE is much better than any of the aftermarket junk. I would occasionally get these LIN errors and squirrelly functionality. Again...just my opinion from my own experience.

R135
└┼┼┼
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2023, 09:13 PM   #5
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Anyone that charges for a "kit" charges OUTRAGEOUS prices for what it's worth. I think I did mine for the CIC HU, screen, USB harness, COMBOX, KUFATEC harness....was like $359.

I do not particularly care for ANY of the "android" kits/mmi kits. I used something similar with my X5, and it was trash. Just crappy implementation with a lot of flare--but this is just my opinion....not to mention that the quality of OE is much better than any of the aftermarket junk. I would occasionally get these LIN errors and squirrelly functionality. Again...just my opinion from my own experience.
Upon watching a few youtube videos about installation, two things I found that I'm a bit worred about and not sure if I'm looking at the most current system but the original idrive screen seems to be cropped real bad and one video the guy mentioned that the "M" button would turn off the system, music and all and he has to start it up every time. That sounds like a deal breaker. I start out in M mode and leave it through out entire time car is running but to do that every time I start it up doesn't sound like fun. What glitches or issues do you have?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2023, 11:22 PM   #6
RocketyMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E93  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerRob08 View Post
Upon watching a few youtube videos about installation, two things I found that I'm a bit worred about and not sure if I'm looking at the most current system but the original idrive screen seems to be cropped real bad and one video the guy mentioned that the "M" button would turn off the system, music and all and he has to start it up every time. That sounds like a deal breaker. I start out in M mode and leave it through out entire time car is running but to do that every time I start it up doesn't sound like fun. What glitches or issues do you have?
I have no idea what you're referencing exactly.

In terms of CIC, I have no issues with mine and the "M" button on the steering wheel. I'm not sure if this is a feature or not.

Upon startup, mine connects fine to BT and then immediately starts playing music after about 30 sec or so.

R135
└┼┼┼
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 12:43 AM   #7
Adam M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 M3

If you decide to go for CarPlay, get the MR12V kit as it’s the only one that uses the most loop and therefore provides much better sound quality.

Personally I did do the CIC conversion and I think you should too, but decide first as the MR12V CarPlay kit varies depending on which system you have.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 07:36 AM   #8
Ajolives
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2019 Audi SQ5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
I was in the same boat with the CCC. Converting to CIC will require coding if that’s a hurdle. It was for me cause I’m lazy. I ended up getting one of the CCC in play units and it’s alright. For what I’ve gained in CarPlay I’ve lost in sound quality as others have mentioned. It’s an even trade for now but eventually I can see myself going CIC if I have time.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 07:17 PM   #9
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have no idea what you're referencing exactly.

In terms of CIC, I have no issues with mine and the "M" button on the steering wheel. I'm not sure if this is a feature or not.

Upon startup, mine connects fine to BT and then immediately starts playing music after about 30 sec or so.

Well that's good your M button is working as it should. Perhaps in the video I was watching the guy messed up because hitting the M button would turn his system off.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 07:18 PM   #10
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam M View Post
If you decide to go for CarPlay, get the MR12V kit as it’s the only one that uses the most loop and therefore provides much better sound quality.

Personally I did do the CIC conversion and I think you should too, but decide first as the MR12V CarPlay kit varies depending on which system you have.

Sounds like I'm going to have to learn about how to convert to the CIC and I'll research the MR12V. I have the premium sound and definitely love it and don't want to compromise it.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 10:38 PM   #11
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

So should I just go with the MR12V kit then and not bother with the CIC conversion? Bit confused on how all this works. Just looked at MR12V kit and videos. I'd rather not have to recode anything as I'm not sure if that might affect any other software such as DINAN Stage II I have. Might not even affect that but I'd rather not mess with that.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2023, 11:00 AM   #12
Thumbie
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/4/6

It shouldn't affect that. Just need to update the programing on the CD changer to recognize the mr12volt unit.

I just installed mr12volt on Saturday. Took almost 4 hours but I was fiddling around with stuff. Someone who has done it before could do it all in 2 hours no issue.

I have a 2011 with CIC so my screen resolution is much better. It may be worth upgrading to CIC if you really care about that, but otherwise mr12volt makes a CCC version on the unit.

Overall it's probably the best way to integrate carplay/AA into an iDrive car. If you don't have iDrive ("single hump") then the Dynavin is what I would do.

2011 Jerez E90 M3 6-speed Competition Package
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2023, 11:00 PM   #13
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbie View Post
It shouldn't affect that. Just need to update the programing on the CD changer to recognize the mr12volt unit.

I just installed mr12volt on Saturday. Took almost 4 hours but I was fiddling around with stuff. Someone who has done it before could do it all in 2 hours no issue.

I have a 2011 with CIC so my screen resolution is much better. It may be worth upgrading to CIC if you really care about that, but otherwise mr12volt makes a CCC version on the unit.

Overall it's probably the best way to integrate carplay/AA into an iDrive car. If you don't have iDrive ("single hump") then the Dynavin is what I would do.

So since my early 2008 E92 M3 has the CCC system, I simply buy this CIC product https://www.mr12volt.com/products/p2...pr_seq=uniform and convert, that's it?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2023, 11:33 AM   #14
Adam M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 M3

You don’t have to upgrade to cic first. It does make the car much more modern feeling.

If you don’t care, you can go straight to MR12V ccc version. Sound quality will be the same but screen resolution not so wonderful.

Coding to make it work is nothing to do with a remap and will not impact it at all.

Last edited by Adam M; 04-10-2023 at 02:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2023, 01:35 PM   #15
Thumbie
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/4/6

Quote:
So since my early 2008 E92 M3 has the CCC system, I simply buy this CIC product https://www.mr12volt.com/products/p2...pr_seq=uniform and convert, that's it?
Quote:
You don’t have to upgrade to cic first. It does make the car much more modern feeling.

If you don’t care, you can go straight to MR12V ccc version. Sound quality will be the same but screen resolution not so wonderful.

Coding to make it work is nothing to do with a remap and will not impact it at all.
To sum it up, if you have a 2008 w/ CCC you have two options:

1. Upgrade CCC to CIC, then install mr12volt CIC (the one you linked). Do the full upgrade first and get it working, then do mr12volt if you go this route.

2. Keep CCC and install mr12volt CCC

Up to you which route you go.

After using it for a week I do like it, my only gripe is it's a UI designed for touchscreens so scrolling thru options on the wheel makes it a little tedious.

2011 Jerez E90 M3 6-speed Competition Package
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2023, 02:02 PM   #16
RocketyMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E93  [10.00]
The OP originally states wanting the maps to work and retain the iDrive with using some external media player.

This can all be done simply with the CIC retrofit with the latest maps (WITHOUT needing DVD) and BT/ipod connection.

I did all of mine for a very reasonable price of $360ish.

And what do you get with mr12volt? A glorified aliexpress android radio for over $400? Not worth it.

R135
└┼┼┼
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2023, 12:41 AM   #17
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The OP originally states wanting the maps to work and retain the iDrive with using some external media player.

This can all be done simply with the CIC retrofit with the latest maps (WITHOUT needing DVD) and BT/ipod connection.

I did all of mine for a very reasonable price of $360ish.

And what do you get with mr12volt? A glorified aliexpress android radio for over $400? Not worth it.
How exactly do I get my ccc to be retrofited with CIC? Is there a kit or is it a combination of software and hardware? man, I'm at the infint stage of trying to figure this out.

I found this post but it's a bit old so don't know if there is a new method/vesion for easier installation. https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=780402
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2023, 12:19 AM   #18
RocketyMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E93  [10.00]
Quote:
How exactly do I get my ccc to be retrofited with CIC? Is there a kit or is it a combination of software and hardware? man, I'm at the infint stage of trying to figure this out.

I found this post but it's a bit old so don't know if there is a new method/vesion for easier installation. https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=780402
Well first you need all the hardware--then simply swap out all the hardware/wiring. And the kits that are offered are WAY overpriced IMHO. Somewhere around $2k from BPM? YIKES!

That post is a pretty good start. I'm a little unsure what the "emulator" is for exactly. It doesn't talk about the combox upgrade or upgrading the maps to the 2021 or later or anything...or talk about programming.

I mean I can help assist with specific questions, but have no clue to your mechanical/electrical/programming prowess. Maybe there's better DIY guides on another post of a forum. Honestly...i'm NEVER a fan of this forum's "search" feature.

R135
└┼┼┼
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2023, 12:25 AM   #19
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well first you need all the hardware--then simply swap out all the hardware/wiring. And the kits that are offered are WAY overpriced IMHO. Somewhere around $2k from BPM? YIKES!

That post is a pretty good start. I'm a little unsure what the "emulator" is for exactly. It doesn't talk about the combox upgrade or upgrading the maps to the 2021 or later or anything...or talk about programming.

I mean I can help assist with specific questions, but have no clue to your mechanical/electrical/programming prowess. Maybe there's better DIY guides on another post of a forum. Honestly...i'm NEVER a fan of this forum's "search" feature.
Thanks man. I'm pretty good with tools. lol! Was a former aircraft tech and i've done a lot of car work and stereo install. Just need precise instructions and colored pictures. lol! Anyway, we'll still got a lot of work and expenses to do first on this M3 before I dive into this project but I'll keep researching. Probably will return to this posting in the future and message you then. Thanks!

RB
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2023, 01:49 PM   #20
RocketyMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E93  [10.00]
Sounds like a plan!

R135