BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

09-26-2016, 08:50 PM   #1
M3SWEETNESS
Watch This!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Adding 200 Cell Cats!

Need help finding the best choice on adding some HFCs to my catless setup. I have a full catless setup at the moment but the exhaust fumes have finally got me looking. I want to add some 200 cell catalytic converters to the x-pipe to kill of some of the fumes.... I'm having the worse time finding just the cats. Let me explain I have found the magnaflow ones and then the eBay ones.... then the crazy expensive $600 or more exotic ones... I'm needing some advice on what members have done in the past or just simple recommendations on brand's that's not going to completely brake the bank. Thanks in advance!
      09-27-2016, 12:26 AM   #2
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

I catted a pipe w/HJS cats. When I got a set on eBay, they weren't as expensive as they are now, but at least now they come with reducers for the $350. I wasn't so lucky.

Putting in good cats isn't going to be a cheap fix. I spent about $1k total for cats, reducers, to have the ends cut so that the radius of the reducers match the radius of the pipes, to have the appropriate length taken out of the x-pipe to accommodate the cats, and to have everything welded together.

And you want to get quality cats so they don't clog....which will cause a bunch of other problems down the road.

Good luck, my man. Good news with the HJS units though.....no fumes

Last edited by whats77inaname; 09-27-2016 at 10:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2016, 02:05 AM   #3
loveskiing
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname View Post
I catted a pipe w/HJS cats. When I got a set on eBay, they weren't as expensive as they are now, but at least now they come with reducers for the $350. I wasn't so lucky.

Putting in good cats isn't going to be a cheap fix. I spent about $1k total for cats, reducers, to have the ends cut so that the radius of the reducers match the radius of the pipes, and to have everything welded together.

And you want to get quality cats so they don't clog....which will cause a bunch of other problems down the road.

Good luck, my man. Good news with the HJS units though.....no fumes
+1
It will cost more than it's worth IMHO and you'll still have a "custom job" which might not hold it's value when and if you decide to sell it. I would strongly suggest selling what you have as it is and using that $$$ to buy the ESS X-pipe with HFC. I researched them all and found that one the best combo in sound, price, performance and zero odors. If you decide to go that route PM me and I'll turn you on to a good source. Good Luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2016, 07:13 AM   #4
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

You might consider Vibrant Performance 7525 high flow cats too. They are highly rated and around $350 a pop.

Harrop Supercharger, BPM Tune, K/W Coil over kit, Stoptek BBK, Magnaflow exhaust, ear to ear grin everytime I drive...
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2016, 10:57 AM   #5
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveskiing View Post
+1
It will cost more than it's worth IMHO and you'll still have a "custom job" which might not hold it's value when and if you decide to sell it. I would strongly suggest selling what you have as it is and using that $$$ to buy the ESS X-pipe with HFC. I researched them all and found that one the best combo in sound, price, performance and zero odors. If you decide to go that route PM me and I'll turn you on to a good source. Good Luck!
+1

I pretty much took an x-pipe that was $2k+ new, is highly sought after (MRF), and spent another $1k on it. The good thing is that when I mentioned in a post that I might be interested in moving to an ARH setup in the future, I rec'd offers on it that tell me I'll recoup most of what I have invested in it if I ever decide to sell.
Appreciate 1
      09-27-2016, 04:15 PM   #6
M3SWEETNESS
Watch This!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Thanks for the recommendations, reason I don't want to just sell the current catless x-pipe is I got it stupid cheap 600 shipped... I found some Active Autowerke high flow 200 cell cats slightly used like 500 miles for 200 bucks. Considering everything I paid maybe another 140 for welding. I'll get out with a custom x-pipe for under a grand. May not be the easiest route but a good out come for a little foot work.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2016, 10:33 AM   #7
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335SWEETNESS View Post
Thanks for the recommendations, reason I don't want to just sell the current catless x-pipe is I got it stupid cheap 600 shipped... I found some Active Autowerke high flow 200 cell cats slightly used like 500 miles for 200 bucks. Considering everything I paid maybe another 140 for welding. I'll get out with a custom x-pipe for under a grand. May not be the easiest route but a good out come for a little foot work.
Yeah, I paid about that for the HJS units when I picked them up. A little footwork often goes a long way
Appreciate 0