BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

09-20-2015, 08:17 PM   #1
///M Kidding
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT

What's your opinions on liquid wraps?

Hey guys,

Does anyone have any experience with liquid wrap or dipping?

From the price perspective(it's usually around 1000 for a m3), it seems pretty cost-efficient.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 10:29 PM   #2
stevelp99
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

I've dipped wheels and lower trim before with just rattle can plasti dip, did my old GTR to cover up some stone chips on the lower trim and, some etching on wheels (previous owner used something harsh on wheels). If you take your time the results are quite impressive for a garage diy. I do recommend light coats and build them up. Its cheap, adds a little more protection against road debris, easy to clean, removable, custom colors and finishes are endless.

Here is my old GTR

Last edited by stevelp99; 01-28-2016 at 10:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 08:13 AM   #3
///M Kidding
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelp99
I've dipped wheels and lower trim before with just rattle can plasti dip, did my old GTR to cover up some stone chips on the lower trim and, some etching on wheels (previous owner used something harsh on wheels). If you take your time the results are quite impressive for a garage diy. I do recommend light coats and build them up. Its cheap, adds a little more protection against road debris, easy to clean, removable, custom colors and finishes are endless.

Here is my old GTR

View post on imgur.com
Nice job dipping, good to know this. Thanks
      09-25-2015, 10:18 AM   #4
triblk6spd
Registered
Rep
Drives: 09 e90 m3

Plastidip (don't right) in small pieces will be ok for a while....maybe a year or so before they start to gray out. Prep is key just like any paint type project.
That being said...nothing beats a high end vehicle wrap using high end material.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 11:11 AM   #5
pooyab
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 2020 BMW M5C

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Couple of my friends had their GTRs fully dipped. I never cared for it, didn't have smooth lines, and didn't feel like paint to the touch. One of them went and got it wrapped the day after he got it dipped because he didn't like it either, and the others are starting to follow.
Interlagos Blue/Speed Cloth | BayOptiks DTM Headlights | Alpine Stage 2 | KW Clubsport | Resonated X-Pipe | Eisenmann Race | StopTech BBK | TE37SL | YFCM CF Driveshaft | Hotchkis F/R Sways | F/R Endlinks | Turner Control Arms and Front Tension Bushings | Powerflex Diff Bushings | Turner Solid Subframe Bushings | MS Underdrive Pulley and Intake | Alpine DCT Tune | Karbonius Intake | Carbon Roof (TBD)
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 11:58 AM   #6
///M Kidding
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by triblk6spd
Plastidip (don't right) in small pieces will be ok for a while....maybe a year or so before they start to gray out. Prep is key just like any paint type project.
That being said...nothing beats a high end vehicle wrap using high end material.
I had a 3M wrap on my car, but the edges also peeled off after sometime... And a 3M wrap is at least 2K, a dip is 1K...
      09-25-2015, 12:00 PM   #7
///M Kidding
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooyab
Couple of my friends had their GTRs fully dipped. I never cared for it, didn't have smooth lines, and didn't feel like paint to the touch. One of them went and got it wrapped the day after he got it dipped because he didn't like it either, and the others are starting to follow.
Wow is the dipping that bad, or your friends are just rich... lol
      09-25-2015, 12:06 PM   #8
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Kidding View Post
I had a 3M wrap on my car, but the edges also peeled off after sometime... And a 3M wrap is at least 2K, a dip is 1K...
there are a lot of factors that can effect how long a wrap lasts on a car.

Install is huge on vinyl. I have had friends with proper installs on their cars and it last 3+ years. I have had friends who have had cheap installs that begin to peel in under a year.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 03:18 PM   #9
///M Kidding
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Kidding View Post
there are a lot of factors that can effect how long a wrap lasts on a car.

Install is huge on vinyl. I have had friends with proper installs on their cars and it last 3+ years. I have had friends who have had cheap installs that begin to peel in under a year.
That's true... But I wouldn't want to spend 4-5K on a wrap tho, seems not worth to me.

Last time I had a 3M wrap was 1 year ago, it costs me 1700 including the wrap... I guess it's you get what you paid for lol
      09-27-2015, 04:00 AM   #10
pooyab
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Kidding
Quote:
You can never get the clean edges that you get from vinyl. And it has the rubber feel to the touch whereas vinyl feels like paint. The plasti dip will probably offer more protection from chips and scratches though.
Interlagos Blue/Speed Cloth | BayOptiks DTM Headlights | Alpine Stage 2 | KW Clubsport | Resonated X-Pipe | Eisenmann Race | StopTech BBK | TE37SL | YFCM CF Driveshaft | Hotchkis F/R Sways | F/R Endlinks | Turner Control Arms and Front Tension Bushings | Powerflex Diff Bushings | Turner Solid Subframe Bushings | MS Underdrive Pulley and Intake | Alpine DCT Tune | Karbonius Intake | Carbon Roof (TBD)
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2015, 10:43 AM   #11
///M Kidding
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You can never get the clean edges that you get from vinyl. And it has the rubber feel to the touch whereas vinyl feels like paint. The plasti dip will probably offer more protection from chips and scratches though.
Yeah, I've been thinking about it. You can't get a metallic color on plasti dip.
      09-27-2015, 01:27 PM   #12
pooyab
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
You can. There are metallic flakes to mix in. I guess that's the one thing of plasti dip vs vinyl, you have many more color options, and colorshift is much cheaper on plasti dip than it is on vinyl.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2015, 02:20 PM   #13
///M Kidding
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You can. There are metallic flakes to mix in. I guess that's the one thing of plasti dip vs vinyl, you have many more color options, and colorshift is much cheaper on plasti dip than it is on vinyl.
Really? I didn't know that... How did you know all these about plasti dip, I'm still deciding if I should go do a plasti dip lol
      09-27-2015, 06:21 PM   #14
stevelp99
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Check out the dipyourcar youtube channel. He shows various finishes and colors available for almost any application. Yes dipping will never feel like clear coated paint, but it does seem to offer additional protection to bug stains, rock chips, ect. which is what caught my attention at first. If you take your time and do it correctly it will look and feel smooth to the touch, as for maintaining it, its pretty durable, I usually just wash normally with pressure washer and foam lance, and if its looking a bit dull I'll use a detail spray.

Here are some more pics close up of the finish (matte black). I dipped the front lower half of the bumper and the side skirts myself with just the matte black spray cans as I kept getting small rock bouncing off of them. You can see how plasti dip is a viable option for complex trim like the side vents.

https://www.youtube.com/user/DipYourCarcom

Last edited by stevelp99; 01-28-2016 at 10:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2015, 06:51 PM   #15
///M Kidding
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Check out the dipyourcar youtube channel. He shows various finishes and colors available for almost any application. Yes dipping will never feel like clear coated paint, but it does seem to offer additional protection to bug stains, rock chips, ect which is what caught my attention at first. If you take your time and do it correctly it will look and feel smooth to the touch.

Here are some more pics close up of the finish (matte black). I dipped the front lower half of the bumper and the side skirts as I kept getting small rock bouncing off of them. You can see how plasti dip is a viable option for complex trim like the side vents.

Thanks for the reply and the link, I've actually watched some of his video before. But I doubt any shops will do the job as good as him.
      09-27-2015, 10:23 PM   #16
pooyab
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Check out the dipyourcar youtube channel. He shows various finishes and colors available for almost any application. Yes dipping will never feel like clear coated paint, but it does seem to offer additional protection to bug stains, rock chips, ect which is what caught my attention at first. If you take your time and do it correctly it will look and feel smooth to the touch.

Here are some more pics close up of the finish (matte black). I dipped the front lower half of the bumper and the side skirts as I kept getting small rock bouncing off of them. You can see how plasti dip is a viable option for complex trim like the side vents.

Thanks for the reply and the link, I've actually watched some of his video before. But I doubt any shops will do the job as good as him.
That's where I get all my info too lol. I was considering it before I wrapped the car.
If you go on their site the have a DYC certified installer.

Looks like PA has one. If it doesn't come out right DYC will take care of it, I'd recommend sticking to the certified ones only.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2015, 11:18 PM   #17
///M Kidding
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's where I get all my info too lol. I was considering it before I wrapped the car.

Looks like PA has one. If it doesn't come out right DYC will take care of it, I'd recommend sticking to the certified ones only.
Yeah there's one in Philly, I will contact them see if they have done some dipping jobs on m3 or similar cars.

You said if it doesn't come out right DYC will take care of it? Like how?
      09-27-2015, 11:46 PM   #18
pooyab
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah there's one in Philly, I will contact them see if they have done some dipping jobs on m3 or similar cars.

Not sure what they will do, but my friend got his GTR dipped at a non certified place that used DYC products, and it ended up bad and his car was damaged. DYC told him if it had been certified location they could've helped with getting his money back and damages, but since it wasn't, they can't do much.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 07:01 AM   #19
///M Kidding
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Not sure what they will do, but my friend got his GTR dipped at a non certified place that used DYC products, and it ended up bad and his car was damaged. DYC told him if it had been certified location they could've helped with getting his money back and damages, but since it wasn't, they can't do much.
That's bad luck, I would hate it if that happens... Must be a lot of hassle