BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

05-21-2019, 03:15 PM   #1
mrspecter
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 M3

MPE to another setup?

Has anyone changed from an MPE to another setup that they like even more?
I really like the sound of the MPE, it has a nice deep growl upon startup and it isn't obnoxiously loud, but I feel like I want something a bit louder.

A lot of people told me to get test pipes, but I don't know how much of a difference that'll make in the sound.
I've been watching a lot of youtube videos on different exhaust setups, but its very difficult to gauge how they sound in real life.

I'm considering options from Meisterschaft GT2, Armytrix and IPE
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 03:32 PM   #2
s14_kev
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, E30 M3

I just installed test pipes on my MPE. You will notice an increase in volume, maybe 30% or so, but I think the biggest change is in the tone of the exhaust. Test pipes will make the signature "hollow" sound more pronounced and apparent throughout a wider rev range. You will have slight rasp on downshifts and moderate to hard accelerations, but it is nice sounding rather than off-putting. That being said, I am coming from an Akra exhaust (also with test pipes), I think the MPE sounds more exotic, but both are unique in their own way. FWIW, the look of the MPE is not my favorite (prefer the Akra in that regard).

MPE with test pipes is also easy to drive "under the radar" when you need to be. It won't be super loud under normal driving conditions, but it sounds amazing when you get on it.
      05-21-2019, 04:21 PM   #3
mrspecter
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by s14_kev View Post
I just installed test pipes on my MPE. You will notice an increase in volume, maybe 30% or so, but I think the biggest change is in the tone of the exhaust. Test pipes will make the signature "hollow" sound more pronounced and apparent throughout a wider rev range. You will have slight rasp on downshifts and moderate to hard accelerations, but it is nice sounding rather than off-putting. That being said, I am coming from an Akra exhaust (also with test pipes), I think the MPE sounds more exotic, but both are unique in their own way. FWIW, the look of the MPE is not my favorite (prefer the Akra in that regard).

MPE with test pipes is also easy to drive "under the radar" when you need to be. It won't be super loud under normal driving conditions, but it sounds amazing when you get on it.
I think you're kinda right when you say that the MPE sounds more exotic, now I'm leaning towards keeping it and getting the test pipes.

Would you be able to share some videos of your sound?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 04:33 PM   #4
s14_kev
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspecter View Post
I think you're kinda right when you say that the MPE sounds more exotic, now I'm leaning towards keeping it and getting the test pipes.

Would you be able to share some videos of your sound?
I took some vids with a GoPro and external mic, but they didn't turn out that great. I want to shoot better videos, but I'm not sure if I'll have time any time soon.

Here is my Akra for comparison (admittedly not a great comparison, diff camera/mic setup):
      05-21-2019, 04:47 PM   #5
mrspecter
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I took some vids with a GoPro and external mic, but they didn't turn out that great. I want to shoot better videos, but I'm not sure if I'll have time any time soon.

Here is my Akra for comparison (admittedly not a great comparison, diff camera/mic setup):
Thanks for sharing the videos, very helpful. I don't know what it is about the Akra exhaust, but to me it sounds a little muted, tame, but it does have sort of a deeper tone.
Did you like it? Was it worth it? And why did you decide to change the setup?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 05:59 PM   #6
kyippee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Supra MK5, F44 235GC

Left the MPE for bomiz valvetronic muffler. MPE was nice, just too quiet for fun.

Appreciate 1
s14_kev367.00
      05-21-2019, 06:41 PM   #7
PKL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4, 2022 X6

I am in the exact same boat OP! I think I will go with test pipes. I really don't want to spend money and end up with something that I feel is too loud.
      05-21-2019, 06:53 PM   #8
s14_kev
Major
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for sharing the videos, very helpful. I don't know what it is about the Akra exhaust, but to me it sounds a little muted, tame, but it does have sort of a deeper tone.
Did you like it? Was it worth it? And why did you decide to change the setup?
Akra is on the quieter end for sure. It definitely has a low RPM "boominess", but seems to fade out at higher RPMs.

As I said before, I liked how it looked, the CF tips are seriously works of art. To me, it was not worth it because I wasn't blown away by the sound, which is the main reason why we buy exhausts right? It didn't open up the V8 sound like the MPE does. Don't get me wrong, it sounds really unique, but I only really like the Akra sound with the GT4 x-pipe.

I sold the SG car and parted out the Akra beforehand. I bought the AW and it came with the MPE already installed. I just added the test pipes recently
      05-22-2019, 02:34 AM   #9
mrspecter
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKL View Post
I am in the exact same boat OP! I think I will go with test pipes. I really don't want to spend money and end up with something that I feel is too loud.
It's nice to hear someone is on the same boat. Let me know what you eventually decide to do and post some videos of the sound if you could. By the way, which test pipes are you considering? I know there's quite a few options out there.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 10:33 AM   #10
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Considering test pipes as well but don't have a MPE cat back. Are you considering primary or secondary cat delete? Or both?

Also stumbled upon this old thread while researching around, considering it over test pipes as it's essentially free and like OP had mentioned not trying to drop a grand on a set-up that I don't like.

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=457202
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 03:29 PM   #11
s14_kev
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Considering test pipes as well but don't have a MPE cat back. Are you considering primary or secondary cat delete? Or both?

Also stumbled upon this old thread while researching around, considering it over test pipes as it's essentially free and like OP had mentioned not trying to drop a grand on a set-up that I don't like.

Couple things:
Test pipes are ~200 on the used market and 400 brand new. If you can DIY the secondary cat gutting, you have the tools to DIY the test pipe install as well. If not, then the secondary cat delete will require similar / more labor for a shop to do.

Power/Tq gains from test pipes are substantially more.

Test pipes are fully reversible as long as you keep the stock cats. The secondary cat delete will be more of a permanent mod. This is something to keep in mind if you're worried you won't like the result.

Plus side to secondary cat delete:
Test pipes will throw a CEL without a tune, secondary cat will not.

Secondary cat gutting will look stock underneath.
      05-23-2019, 01:49 AM   #12
mrspecter
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post

I'm probably just only considering primary cat delete. At first I didn't really want to mess with the cats, but with test pipes it'll be inevitable, which means I'll need to get a tune to deal with the CEL and to pass NY state inspection which is a pain in the ass.

My brother has a heavily modified C63 AMG and I cannot deal with the smell that it makes. I cannot drive behind him at all and when I ride inside the car with him, the smell makes it unbearable. The smell is a huge concern for me, which is why I'm a bit hesitant.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 09:50 AM   #13
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Couple things:
Test pipes are ~200 on the used market and 400 brand new. If you can DIY the secondary cat gutting, you have the tools to DIY the test pipe install as well. If not, then the secondary cat delete will require similar / more labor for a shop to do.

Power/Tq gains from test pipes are substantially more.

Test pipes are fully reversible as long as you keep the stock cats. The secondary cat delete will be more of a permanent mod. This is something to keep in mind if you're worried you won't like the result.

Plus side to secondary cat delete:
Test pipes will throw a CEL without a tune, secondary cat will not.

Secondary cat gutting will look stock underneath.
I get that test pipes are relatively cheap, I was just looking at some other options and what not. I wasn't aware that the hp/torque values would be greater with test pipes compared to gutting the cats so thanks for pointing that out!

Quote:
I'm probably just only considering primary cat delete. At first I didn't really want to mess with the cats, but with test pipes it'll be inevitable, which means I'll need to get a tune to deal with the CEL and to pass NY state inspection which is a pain in the ass.

My brother has a heavily modified C63 AMG and I cannot deal with the smell that it makes. I cannot drive behind him at all and when I ride inside the car with him, the smell makes it unbearable. The smell is a huge concern for me, which is why I'm a bit hesitant.
We're in the same boat, I don't want to delete both cats for two reasons; 1) it may be too loud, 2) My fiance would never ride in it due to the smell (maybe that's a good thing, she already hates it lol!)

That is kind of the reason why I was considering just a secondary cat delete, since it has the lower value cell the change would be less drastic then a primary cat delete. Decisions, decisions.... Let me know what you end up going with.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 12:00 PM   #14
PKL
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
It's nice to hear someone is on the same boat. Let me know what you eventually decide to do and post some videos of the sound if you could. By the way, which test pipes are you considering? I know there's quite a few options out there.
I need to do my research. I need something that is California SMOG compliant... I assume that means I need to retain my Cats
      05-23-2019, 12:12 PM   #15
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

The nice thing about my aFe x /MPE setup is that it completely shuts up at light loads and/or on the highway.

Way louder at WOT, bassier at low rpms, but retains that no-drone, "more of the same good sounds as stock" character of the MPE without being annoying on the highway

For what it's worth, the aFe 300cell resonated high-flow cat xpipe does not cause my car to throw a CEL (I have a tune, but not a "stage 2" tune so there's no CEL defeat going on). I've had it on the car for more than a year now.

If you're sensitive to smell, nothing is going to be as good as two 400cell plus 200cell stock setup. Any change is going to add some. It's tolerable on my car with the catted aFe, I would never be able to stand a catless setup either though, it's annoying as shit being behind a catless car and driving one is worse

Last edited by Richbot; 05-23-2019 at 12:18 PM..
Appreciate 2
      05-23-2019, 01:12 PM   #16
PKL
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
The nice thing about my aFe x /MPE setup is that it completely shuts up at light loads and/or on the highway.

Way louder at WOT, bassier at low rpms, but retains that no-drone, "more of the same good sounds as stock" character of the MPE without being annoying on the highway

For what it's worth, the aFe 300cell resonated high-flow cat xpipe does not cause my car to throw a CEL (I have a tune, but not a "stage 2" tune so there's no CEL defeat going on). I've had it on the car for more than a year now.

If you're sensitive to smell, nothing is going to be as good as two 400cell plus 200cell stock setup. Any change is going to add some. It's tolerable on my car with the catted aFe, I would never be able to stand a catless setup either though, it's annoying as shit being behind a catless car and driving one is worse
Thanks for this post, it taught me a lot without having to research myself!!

Richbot Is this the product you are referring to?

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-afe-part.../49-36321~afe/
      05-23-2019, 01:18 PM   #17
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Yep. Looks like the price went up.
      05-23-2019, 07:38 PM   #18
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep