BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
INDustry distribution
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-21-2016, 09:02 PM   #45
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
BPMSport's Avatar
United_States
2202
Rep
7,158
Posts


Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (9)

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [3.75]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
I heard a car just like that and it turned out to be bearings... If you hear that now and it is bearings, I'd think that it wouldn't go more than 1 or 2K before total failure.

Fingers crossed that it's nothing of great importance!
__________________

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 09:36 PM   #46
SkypirateX
Second Lieutenant
SkypirateX's Avatar
31
Rep
239
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: United States

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo
I heard a car just like that and it turned out to be bearings... If you hear that now and it is bearings, I'd think that it wouldn't go more than 1 or 2K before total failure.

Fingers crossed that it's nothing of great importance!
I've had this noise for the past 20k another friends M3, same year similar miles just started doing it as well. It really does seem to be something directly related to liqui moly
__________________
2011 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 09:37 PM   #47
SkypirateX
Second Lieutenant
SkypirateX's Avatar
31
Rep
239
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: United States

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by to///m View Post
I'm not obsessing at all, just curious about an abnormal noise...

It didn't stop me from having fun with her today, the weather was too nice!
Probably there is a fix for the ticking noises !
Please read #255 on this page => http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...0#post18573230
Of course I really hope this will help...
By the way I did have this done, the dealer retorqued the manifolds and the noise remains
__________________
2011 E92 M3
Appreciate 2
      07-21-2016, 10:05 PM   #48
///M Power-Belgium
Lieutenant General
///M Power-Belgium's Avatar
Belgium
19056
Rep
11,529
Posts

Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkypirateX View Post
By the way I did have this done, the dealer retorqued the manifolds and the noise remains
I saw it several times on BP about Liqui Moly and S65 ticking noises .
Sometimes it's really hard to say because we heard ticking noises caused by heat shields , manifolds and even valve train .
Of course ticking noises from bearings I heard enough on here .
But mostly it's really hard to say from where the ticking noises come from..

Personal I run for the moment with the BMW ///M Twin-Power Turbo 10W60 , before I ran always with Castrol-Edge 10W60 and I never heard ticking noises on my S65.
__________________
BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 10:04 PM   #49
SkypirateX
Second Lieutenant
SkypirateX's Avatar
31
Rep
239
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: United States

iTrader: (1)

Changed the oil today and added a bottle of liqui moly MOS2. The lovely ticking noise is still there. Drain plug threads on my oil pan are shot (thanks again BMW) so will be replacing the oil pan and doing BE bearings & ARP bolts in 5,000 miles. We shall see if new bearings change the noise :
Stay tuned
__________________
2011 E92 M3
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2016, 08:01 PM   #50
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
Scrippy's Avatar
United_States
800
Rep
2,020
Posts

Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: LA,Ca

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I've always changed my oil on my 2011 M3 and the new oil gets up to temp faster and thins faster than Castrol. I have already changed my rod bearings when I bought my car. It had 25,000 on it when I bought it. I did the bearings at about 30,000 and now I'm at 96,017. Needless to say the ticking has never gone away for me. This is not a rod bearing tick. It's easiest heard just behind the drivers front tire. I really think it's a hydraulic valve adjusters that are worn. When they fail they do not fill with oil properly and they hit the valve lash and create a tick that is audible outside the vehicle. I am concidering having my valves adjusted. Since there are no rocker arms and push rods that would mean checking the hydraulic adjusters and replacing if worn. If your rod bearings had play from being excessively worn they'd just go. They would not hold on for 1000's of miles. My car has made this fucking noise since 28,000 before and after replacing my rod bearings. So relax people and instead of being fearful be logical.
Appreciate 4
Bx Tpr103.50
Doc Oc1362.50

      08-09-2016, 04:25 PM   #51
Mr. Liu
Lieutenant
Mr. Liu's Avatar
United_States
84
Rep
553
Posts

Drives: '11 M3 '14 E63 '05 E55K
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Southern California

iTrader: (1)

I had this tick at 30k miles, after switching to LiquiMoly. Slowly went away as time went on, but in hotter days it would come back. Did a change at 40k to TwinPower and even in 110 degree heat I have not heard it once.
__________________
Turner - Megan - Rogue Engineering - RDSport - AFe - Akra
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2016, 06:30 PM   #52
Mfanatik
Private First Class
9
Rep
135
Posts

Drives: E90
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Mississauga, On Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Liu View Post
I had this tick at 30k miles, after switching to LiquiMoly. Slowly went away as time went on, but in hotter days it would come back. Did a change at 40k to TwinPower and even in 110 degree heat I have not heard it once.
So your saying with LM 10w60 you got the tick? That's odd.

With the way the oil is formulated and it's type of base you shouldn't have an issue with lubrication to your bearings by switching over. Secondly if I got this right....you took liquimoly to the dealerships to get them to change your oil, but when you used their oil nothing happened?

I am asking because I work for the canadian liquimoly importer and sell thousands of L of 10w60 and have never heard of this type of situation. I was also a BMW indy tech for 10years using the same product, and have it in supercharged s65 and s85 engines.

Last edited by Mfanatik; 08-11-2016 at 06:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 05:55 PM   #53
Mr. Liu
Lieutenant
Mr. Liu's Avatar
United_States
84
Rep
553
Posts

Drives: '11 M3 '14 E63 '05 E55K
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Southern California

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfanatik View Post
So your saying with LM 10w60 you got the tick? That's odd.

With the way the oil is formulated and it's type of base you shouldn't have an issue with lubrication to your bearings by switching over. Secondly if I got this right....you took liquimoly to the dealerships to get them to change your oil, but when you used their oil nothing happened?

I am asking because I work for the canadian liquimoly importer and sell thousands of L of 10w60 and have never heard of this type of situation. I was also a BMW indy tech for 10years using the same product, and have it in supercharged s65 and s85 engines.
That is my experience and also the experience of many different members on here. Don't ask me why, it sounds crazy to me too, but it is what it is.
__________________
Turner - Megan - Rogue Engineering - RDSport - AFe - Akra
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 02:08 AM   #54
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
Scrippy's Avatar
United_States
800
Rep
2,020
Posts

Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: LA,Ca

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
So I noticed heat is really a huge factor with this ticking. Hot days exasperate the noise. My S65 did it with Castrol and this new crappy twin turbo power shit....stock rod bearings or WPC bearings. So I got home Friday and it was hot as hell and when I pulled up to the garage I heard the ticking. I pulled my car up on my ramps and got underneath with my stethoscope. If I hold the scope to the oil pan this noise is really audible. It's most audible towards the rear of the oil pan. I'm starting to wonder if it is something as silly as the oil sump chain guides flopping around or maybe the chain stretches and slaps the guide because of a loby idle? Anyone chime in who's serviced this chain.


http://www.kenrockwell.com/bmw/image...il-pan-774.jpg
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2016, 09:14 AM   #55
MTrezzz
Major
MTrezzz's Avatar
United_States
127
Rep
1,314
Posts

Drives: Lime Rock Edition
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Long Island

iTrader: (1)

I would also love to know the solution as I just did a oil change and have this issue too.
My car only has 21,000 Miles and it's a 6 Speed Coupe
Oil Changes every 6,500 Miles Done by BMW (Or paid out of pocket).
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2016, 11:38 AM   #56
Datka
First Lieutenant
Datka's Avatar
370
Rep
377
Posts

Drives: 2009 M3/dct, 2018 340i M sport
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Long Island, NY

iTrader: (0)

Why don't you guys change oil yourselves?
Its very easy, and you know it was done right, and you didn't overtorque your drain plug.
I own my car since brand new with only 3 miles on it. So far did all the maintenance myself.
__________________
"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." Steve MCQueen
Appreciate 1
tlrid3r136.50

      09-17-2016, 12:55 PM   #57
///M Power-Belgium
Lieutenant General
///M Power-Belgium's Avatar
Belgium
19056
Rep
11,529
Posts

Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datka View Post
Why don't you guys change oil yourselves?
Its very easy, and you know it was done right, and you didn't overtorque your drain plug.
I own my car since brand new with only 3 miles on it. So far did all the maintenance myself.
You have no BMW stamps in your maintenance book , when the day comes that you want to sell your car it will lose value by lack of BMW maintenance evidence ...
__________________
BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2016, 01:55 PM   #58
andysk585
Private
andysk585's Avatar
United_States
35
Rep
72
Posts

Drives: 2012 E92 Alpine M3
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

ive had this issue for the past 20k miles. no problems with the car, just this noise that comes and goes. I've changed my oil with castrol, twin power, liquimoly, and it still makes the noise so oil is not a factor. As mentioned above, heat plays a major role. This noise does not occur from cold start, only close to or at normal operating temperature. I've taken this issue to three different dealerships in LA and nothing. Any update here?

I'm thinking about taking this to an indi shop on my own dime to try and figure this out as it annoys the heck out of me.
__________________
2012 E92 M3 Alpine White

Last edited by andysk585; 10-09-2016 at 02:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2016, 02:33 PM   #59
Bx Tpr
Captain
Bx Tpr's Avatar
United_States
104
Rep
897
Posts

Drives: GT3.2
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NY

iTrader: (8)

Another 10w60 LiquiMoly ticker here. Changed to the BE rod bearings at 40k, filled with rotella 5w40 and the engine was completely silent. After 4000 miles I changed to Liqui 10w60 and the ticking started. The same ticking I was getting with TWS 10w60 and oem bearings.

I will admit that my oil consumption is down dramatically with Liqui 10w60. I consumed a quart every 1000 miles with the rotella 5w40. I haven't consumed any oil so far with the Liqui over 1k miles. FYI this car is driven on the highway 90% of the time at off peak hours and I wind her out as many times as I can.

IMO I think it's only valvetrain noise but you know what they say about opinions
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2016, 10:05 PM   #60
Sunny D
Second Lieutenant
Sunny D's Avatar
37
Rep
211
Posts

Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: ATL

iTrader: (2)

Any update OP?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 03:37 PM   #61
SaNGRia
Lieutenant
SaNGRia's Avatar
208
Rep
567
Posts

Drives: Jet Black E93 M3 w/ Fox Red
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny D View Post
Any update OP?
Hey. Are you blown yet or what? Can you update us. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 03:17 PM   #62
KawBoy
Lieutenant
United_States
90
Rep
443
Posts

Drives: M
Join Date: May 2012
Location: SE FL

iTrader: (2)

Hello Everyone,

Thought about posting on the subject since I have had the same issue for quite a while.

It all started about 2 years ago, right after an oil change to Liqui Moly 10W60. Prior to that I had always used Castrol. Engine had about 16k~18k miles (it's got 26k miles now). As soon as I heard the ticking noise, I change the oil back to Castrol but the noise persisted. Took it to the dealer and they found nothing, even after having the car for 4 days and the engine running for about 3:55 hours. Got the car and told them I'd bring it back in a few days. Noise was gone after a few more miles.

Since them, every single time there is an oil change, noise is back. It does not really matter which oil it is; Castrol, Liqui Moly or the M Power. I can duplicate the problem every single time oil is changed. As a side note, engine oil is changed every 3k miles. However, the noise goes away after a few miles, not even 50 miles.

Another interesting thing also happens: engine makes a terrible sound when started right after the oil change, while engine is “dry”. This sound only happens occasionally though, not every time the oil is changed. It may or may not happen. And it gets more interesting: the right-after-oil-change-noise has happened since before the ticking noise started. Oil was first changed at about 1100 miles, as per computer (break-in oil). That was the first and only time dealer performed an oil change. Since I only drive about 5k miles/year, dealer used to give me the oil+filter every 15k miles or once a year and I’d change the oil as per my schedule.

Engine so far has not shown any signs of the infamous rod bearings problem. Ticking in my case is not related to temperature or oil brand. Noise does not change frequency when engine RPM is changed. I can’t and will not say that this whole thing started after Liqui Moly. I still believe it was a coincidence. I use Liqui Moly stuff all the time and have used since long. What I can say for sure is that, in my case, it has nothing to do with exhaust, or heat shield.

BTW, dealer's Service Advisor, Service Manager and BMW regional representative tell me that the right-after-oil-change-noise is due to an engine “flap”, whatever that means. They could not tell what this "flap" is or does.

Thank you.





Appreciate 1
      01-27-2017, 03:59 PM   #63
Sunny D
Second Lieutenant
Sunny D's Avatar
37
Rep
211
Posts

Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: ATL

iTrader: (2)

I have the exact same noise as the first two videos above. BUT, the noise goes away when I turn my AC off. Any chance anyone can test that?

I am thinking it might be an idler pulley.

EDIT - I also noticed today when I turn the wheel (putting pressure on the same belt system), the noise also appears.
__________________
Current - 2017 AW F80 ZCP
Past - 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP
Past - 2011 AW E90 335i

Last edited by Sunny D; 01-30-2017 at 08:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 09:36 PM   #64
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
Scrippy's Avatar
United_States
800
Rep
2,020
Posts

Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: LA,Ca

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KawBoy View Post
Hello Everyone,

Thought about posting on the subject since I have had the same issue for quite a while.

It all started about 2 years ago, right after an oil change to Liqui Moly 10W60. Prior to that I had always used Castrol. Engine had about 16k~18k miles (it's got 26k miles now). As soon as I heard the ticking noise, I change the oil back to Castrol but the noise persisted. Took it to the dealer and they found nothing, even after having the car for 4 days and the engine running for about 3:55 hours. Got the car and told them I'd bring it back in a few days. Noise was gone after a few more miles.

Since them, every single time there is an oil change, noise is back. It does not really matter which oil it is; Castrol, Liqui Moly or the M Power. I can duplicate the problem every single time oil is changed. As a side note, engine oil is changed every 3k miles. However, the noise goes away after a few miles, not even 50 miles.

Another interesting thing also happens: engine makes a terrible sound when started right after the oil change, while engine is “dry”. This sound only happens occasionally though, not every time the oil is changed. It may or may not happen. And it gets more interesting: the right-after-oil-change-noise has happened since before the ticking noise started. Oil was first changed at about 1100 miles, as per computer (break-in oil). That was the first and only time dealer performed an oil change. Since I only drive about 5k miles/year, dealer used to give me the oil+filter every 15k miles or once a year and I’d change the oil as per my schedule.

Engine so far has not shown any signs of the infamous rod bearings problem. Ticking in my case is not related to temperature or oil brand. Noise does not change frequency when engine RPM is changed. I can’t and will not say that this whole thing started after Liqui Moly. I still believe it was a coincidence. I use Liqui Moly stuff all the time and have used since long. What I can say for sure is that, in my case, it has nothing to do with exhaust, or heat shield.

BTW, dealer's Service Advisor, Service Manager and BMW regional representative tell me that the right-after-oil-change-noise is due to an engine “flap”, whatever that means. They could not tell what this "flap" is or does.

Thank you.





Hey dude your noise is totally identical to mine. I've had it since about the 30,000 mark and currently have 110,000. the way you describe the nasty startup noise that is random really sounds like a failed hydraulic lifter. It's leaky and as a result it bangs into the valve until it builds pressure and goes back to normal. Do you have any update on your scenario by chance?
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2017, 02:37 PM   #65
Denk
Brigadier General
Denk's Avatar
United_States
835
Rep
3,226
Posts

Drives: X5 40i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: PNW

iTrader: (2)

2 out of the 6 e92's I've owned had this infamous ticking noise, only when the engine was hot and always started right after oil changes...strange but seems fairly common. I always got a rough sounding initial crank right after changing the oil which I'd expect. I never delved into the root cause of the tick, my current e92 doesn't do this.
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2017, 06:45 PM   #66
KawBoy
Lieutenant
United_States
90
Rep
443
Posts

Drives: M
Join Date: May 2012
Location: SE FL

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrippy View Post
Hey dude your noise is totally identical to mine. I've had it since about the 30,000 mark and currently have 110,000. the way you describe the nasty startup noise that is random really sounds like a failed hydraulic lifter. It's leaky and as a result it bangs into the valve until it builds pressure and goes back to normal. Do you have any update on your scenario by chance?
When I first had the dry engine noise, I could feel something trying to stop the engine by force, a big clank. That's why i don't think it could be a failed lifter, but will keep an eye on it.

I am going to change the oil in a few weeks and will post here whatever happens.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:40 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST