BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

05-17-2020, 08:22 PM   #1
bmwpower603
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E36 m3 coupe 08 e90 M3

Alternator time. Genuine or Valeo

My alternator is slowly dying. Voltage gets down to 13.5v. And doesn’t make it over 14v.

I know the answer to the question on which alternator to buy. And that it, a Genuine BMW alternator. I’ve heard that aftermarket ones that don’t come from BMW can damage the electrical system.

The Valeo is an OEM replacement?

Has anyone had good fortune with Valeo?

It’s easy to say, “ Yeah it’s the same as the BMW alternator. “ It appears that the bmw one only comes remanufactured. And probably goes through more testing.

Any thoughts?

My wallet will take a hit if I go Genuine. Especially needing new rotors all around soon. And maybe ICV in the future... Starter... Then that’s about it. Besides a clutch.

FCP has a good deal on Genuine. Why so much cheaper?

Last edited by bmwpower603; 05-17-2020 at 08:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 09:40 PM   #2
BimmerRookie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 Cavalier Z24 M3

Valeo. FCP Euro. Easy decision.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 09:50 PM   #3
bmwpower603
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E36 m3 coupe 08 e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerRookie View Post
Valeo. FCP Euro. Easy decision.
Is Valeo the ones making the genuine bmw alternators?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 11:24 PM   #4
Richneerd
The WEEBM3
Rep
Drives: E90 WEEBM3

I have Valeo, all good is in the hood!
      05-17-2020, 11:34 PM   #5
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Valeo installed when doing the bearings. Identical to the BMW part. Got it at rock auto for 230 with no core charge.
Attached Images

05-18-2020, 02:18 AM   #6
gillara
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 Comp

I have a Valeo alternator and have no problems after replacing my OE one.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 02:32 PM   #7
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I installed a valeo. No problems. No reason to spend $700 on a $250 part.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 06:01 PM   #8
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 LeMans Blue

+1 for Valeo. Same part minus the BMW sticker. I've had no problems with mine since I installed it about a year ago.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 06:34 PM   #9
RedScytheM3
Science stuff and stuff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3

Does anyone else make alternators? All I've ever seen was valeo.

Valeo is what's originally in the M3
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 03:42 AM   #10
ItsGary
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScytheM3 View Post
Does anyone else make alternators? All I've ever seen was valeo.

Valeo is what's originally in the M3
Bosch makes one also according to RockAuto
      05-19-2020, 07:08 AM   #11
GotV8?
Captain
Rep
Drives: Jerez E92 M3 ZCP "12"

Garage List
I can only speak on my experience, went with Valeo through FCP and had it for almost 6 months now, No issues...and you do get the Lifetime replacement...so the next time It needs to be replaced. Its covered. So you can do OEM if you feel the need to pay the higher price. Goodluck with your decision.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 12:07 PM   #12
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

So far everything I have gotten from Valeo has been OE stuff without the label. I have been very impressed and I have also gotten parts for my GTI that are also identical minus the VW logo. I don't believe Valeo makes parts as someone suggested they buy them from the OEM and package them. I also bought some Headlights from Magnetti-Marelli and they were exactly same as factory minus BMW logo. All things eventually end and change but for now at this price point I would try Valeo for sure and keep posting results on the forums like this because it helps us all to know. I have also had good luck with Vaico but these things are by part. For example, they might be able to get the same part as stock from the manufacturer but maybe some other part the can't so they will use another OEM like Bilstein. So Bilstein is an original equipment manufacturer for some parts but not the part you are looking for. They make it and they make some original equipment but not necessarily the original equipment part. I mention Bilstein because I have had a bad experience here. The Original Equipment (OE) manufacturer for ZHP control arms in Meyhle but Bilstein is a trusted brand and an Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) for many BMW parts, just not the ZHP control arms. However, they have Febi GERMANY cast in their control arms. When I ordered a set they came with tag on a string that said Made in Taiwan. I thought I got a pirate control arm set and contacted Bilstein. They told me that Febi GERMANY is cast on there because it is the BRAND NAME and they are in fact made in Taiwan. So luckily I bought from EEuroparts and they kept the tag on but any unscrupulous seller cold take them off and you think you are buying a product made in Germany. I also feel that it is semi dishonest of Bilstein to do that. What's next a brand named MADE IN GERMANY???? Anyway, I figured Bilstein has been a great company and installed the control arms. One failed a year later and I got it replaced under warranty but had to change it again. The second one failed 2 years after that and this time It cost more to swap them so I just pulled both off and bought BMW set that I found on ebay from a dealer. Those were made by Meyhle and have been in the ZHP now with no issue for 6 years and 50K miles.

Finally repair costs will become a bigger concern for those of us that fell in love with BMWs from the 90s-2013. In the past BMW would produce another model to lust for but this has stopped for many of us. No more Euro delivery, no more manual 3 series, mandatory Idrive, fake cabin sounds, SUVs etc. so buying an new BMW is no longer in the cards and keeping our lovely machines running is outrageously expensive with dealer parts and service. I love the sharing of information like this post about which parts are good etc. Very valuable to keeping our irreplaceable toys running for years to come.
Attached Images

Last edited by nachob; 05-24-2020 at 12:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 04:32 PM   #13
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
So far everything I have gotten from Valeo has been OE stuff without the label. I have been very impressed and I have also gotten parts for my GTI that are also identical minus the VW logo. I don't believe Valeo makes parts as someone suggested they buy them from the OEM and package them. I also bought some Headlights from Magnetti-Marelli and they were exactly same as factory minus BMW logo. All things eventually end and change but for now at this price point I would try Valeo for sure and keep posting results on the forums like this because it helps us all to know. I have also had good luck with Vaico but these things are by part. For example, they might be able to get the same part as stock from the manufacturer but maybe some other part the can't so they will use another OEM like Bilstein. So Bilstein is an original equipment manufacturer for some parts but not the part you are looking for. They make it and they make some original equipment but not necessarily the original equipment part. I mention Bilstein because I have had a bad experience here. The Original Equipment (OE) manufacturer for ZHP control arms in Meyhle but Bilstein is a trusted brand and an Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) for many BMW parts, just not the ZHP control arms. However, they have Febi GERMANY cast in their control arms. When I ordered a set they came with tag on a string that said Made in Taiwan. I thought I got a pirate control arm set and contacted Bilstein. They told me that Febi GERMANY is cast on there because it is the BRAND NAME and they are in fact made in Taiwan. So luckily I bought from EEuroparts and they kept the tag on but any unscrupulous seller cold take them off and you think you are buying a product made in Germany. I also feel that it is semi dishonest of Bilstein to do that. What's next a brand named MADE IN GERMANY???? Anyway, I figured Bilstein has been a great company and installed the control arms. One failed a year later and I got it replaced under warranty but had to change it again. The second one failed 2 years after that and this time It cost more to swap them so I just pulled both off and bought BMW set that I found on ebay from a dealer. Those were made by Meyhle and have been in the ZHP now with no issue for 6 years and 50K miles.

Finally repair costs will become a bigger concern for those of us that fell in love with BMWs from the 90s-2013. In the past BMW would produce another model to lust for but this has stopped for many of us. No more Euro delivery, no more manual 3 series, mandatory Idrive, fake cabin sounds, SUVs etc. so buying an new BMW is no longer in the cards and keeping our lovely machines running is outrageously expensive with dealer parts and service. I love the sharing of information like this post about which parts are good etc. Very valuable to keeping our irreplaceable toys running for years to come.
could I get more info on Magnetti-Marelli for headlights
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 06:53 PM   #14
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 16 View Post
Quote:

could I get more info on Magnetti-Marelli for headlights
They were for my e46 330i ZHP. It comes from the factory with ZKW headlights with plastic reflectors. The dealer wanted $1200 each for ZKW. Non ZHPs and 325i come with AL headlights with metal reflectors and last much longer. I could buy the AL from the dealer but then I would also have to buy a corresponding AL bracket adding even more cost. I found a set of Magnetti-Marelli for $700 each and they came with the matching bracket so it was plug and play. The headlights were BMW headlights without the logo. I have had them 7 years now and work even better than the BMW headlights in my 1M.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 05:21 PM   #15
Denny347
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E90

I replaced mine with a Valeo from FCP Euro. Lifetime warranty. No brainer.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 01:13 PM   #16
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

Quote:
They were for my e46 330i ZHP. It comes from the factory with ZKW headlights with plastic reflectors. The dealer wanted $1200 each for ZKW. Non ZHPs and 325i come with AL headlights with metal reflectors and last much longer. I could buy the AL from the dealer but then I would also have to buy a corresponding AL bracket adding even more cost. I found a set of Magnetti-Marelli for $700 each and they came with the matching bracket so it was plug and play. The headlights were BMW headlights without the logo. I have had them 7 years now and work even better than the BMW headlights in my 1M.
yeah I started googling and looking for e92 Magnetti-Marelli headlights but couldn't find the ones I liked price wise
Appreciate 0