BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

09-03-2009, 06:23 AM   #155
a burrito
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Urus, 958.2 TTS, 997 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by graider View Post
sadly, that is exactly what most other 911 owners have in their mind.
oh god. Shoot me.. now..
      09-03-2009, 09:06 AM   #156
urbo73
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by a burrito View Post
What's not real about it? Its BMW that needs a ///M badge to upscale their cars. Can you say a 328 is a performer? What about a 128i? Thats the difference between a bmw and a Porsche. When you buy a 3 series, they let you know its a damn 3 series. When you buy a M3, they let you know.

But when you buy a Porsche. You'll still outbrake, outhandle better than average. A Non-S variant and a S variant will have the same body/chassis/shell but difference engines and brakes to accommodate it.

What do you get in a BMW? Oh in a 3 series, they let you know it can't handle or perform as great as a M3. In a 328 they let you know its the econo-BMW cause it looks like absolute ass with those 16's wrapped in the mud and snow tires. Performance? don't even think about it.

You guys make these strange links between a Cayman and the GT3. Dude, ride in a damn GT3. Its just not as comfortable as a Cayman. And to DD that car it would be very tough or you must be very young to tolerate the stiffness. The GT3 is for the Porsche track junkies and the like. Its not a Cayman on pcp.

The next person that even compares the feel of a Turbo to a Cayman should be banned. All those who know know that a Turbo is a fat pig compared to anything else on the porsche 911/Cayman/Boxster line. However, a Fat Pig in Porsches line can still outhandle/outbrake far better than average. The 997 TT is your SL65. Its a fast as s car in a straight line. It can handle too but you'd rather have the GT3 for the twisties.

Lastly, PORSCHE doesn't distinguish a ///M line. You know why? Because a lot of their R&D is comes from motorsports.
My comment was sarcastic. You calm yourself down and stop talking nonsense. Read my other posts - especially the last one. Did you forget your meds today?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 04:52 PM   #157
a burrito
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbo73 View Post
My comment was sarcastic. You calm yourself down and stop talking nonsense. Read my other posts - especially the last one. Did you forget your meds today?
my posts aren't nonsense. pure experience actually. what about you?
      09-03-2009, 07:26 PM   #158
urbo73
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
my posts aren't nonsense. pure experience actually. what about you?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 09:10 PM   #159
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

Quote:
What's not real about it? Its BMW that needs a ///M badge to upscale their cars. Can you say a 328 is a performer? What about a 128i? Thats the difference between a bmw and a Porsche. When you buy a 3 series, they let you know its a damn 3 series. When you buy a M3, they let you know.

But when you buy a Porsche. You'll still outbrake, outhandle better than average. A Non-S variant and a S variant will have the same body/chassis/shell but difference engines and brakes to accommodate it.

What do you get in a BMW? Oh in a 3 series, they let you know it can't handle or perform as great as a M3. In a 328 they let you know its the econo-BMW cause it looks like absolute ass with those 16's wrapped in the mud and snow tires. Performance? don't even think about it.

You guys make these strange links between a Cayman and the GT3. Dude, ride in a damn GT3. Its just not as comfortable as a Cayman. And to DD that car it would be very tough or you must be very young to tolerate the stiffness. The GT3 is for the Porsche track junkies and the like. Its not a Cayman on pcp.

The next person that even compares the feel of a Turbo to a Cayman should be banned. All those who know know that a Turbo is a fat pig compared to anything else on the porsche 911/Cayman/Boxster line. However, a Fat Pig in Porsches line can still outhandle/outbrake far better than average. The 997 TT is your SL65. Its a fast as s car in a straight line. It can handle too but you'd rather have the GT3 for the twisties.

Lastly, PORSCHE doesn't distinguish a ///M line. You know why? Because a lot of their R&D is comes from motorsports.
seriously, like when buying a gt3 porsche doesn't let you know it is a gt3? what are you smoking?

you can't tell the diff between the s and non s 911 because porsche doesn't care about you. they saved money and made big profit that way. less exterior diff, less R&D.

you sound exactly like one of the biggest porche fanboy out there.

their R&D from motorsports? like those m3 gtr spanked their ass in 01-02 and porsche had to cried to get them banned from alms?

turbo is already a pig but can't have a damn rear seat. it is a joke. porsche can't design a proper car as soon as they go more than 2 seats. e.g. like the failnamera or the ugly as sin cayen?

Last edited by graider; 09-03-2009 at 09:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 09:13 PM   #160
graider
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
oh god. Shoot me.. now..
yeah, i can picture you in your cab mobile looking at an m3 thinking i'm balling, any bmw is sh1t
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 09:15 PM   #161
graider
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
If you've walked into a Porsche dealer to test drive the Cayman your talking sh it about then you would know that 10% is very easy to get off the msrp. On top of that Porsche has one of the biggest profit margins in the automotive industry.
yeah you just got ripped.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 09:18 PM   #162
graider
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Says the guy with the Diarrhea yellow/lemon interior M3.
unfortunately, i would rather have a diarrhea than be in a 911 cab. You sound jealous cause you can't have one like mine.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 09:22 PM   #163
graider
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Hypocrite. You drive a M3. If handling and performance wasn't a problem, why didn't you just pick up a e46 330ci? Great car btw. Used to have a 01'. Still miss it.
but they don't look even remotely close. m3 has much more nicer stuff beside the handling. Like the engine, more aggresive look, nicer leather quality, etc. seems like you don't know anything about bmw. sad, especially since you already own a 330ci and you claimed to be a car enthusiast.

you can tell the m3 from mile away. you can't tell the different version of 911 from 50 meters away.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 09:47 PM   #164
urbo73
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
seriously, like when buying a gt3 porsche doesn't let you know it is a gt3? what are you smoking?

you can't tell the diff between the s and non s 911 because porsche doesn't care about you. they saved money and made big profit that way. less exterior diff, less R&D.

their R&D from motorsports? like those m3 gtr spanked their ass in 01-02 and porsche had to cried to get them banned from alms?

turbo is already a pig but can't have a damn rear seat. it is a joke. porsche can't design a proper car as soon as they go more than 2 seats. e.g. like the failnamera or the ugly as sin cayen?
In SpeedTV GT racing and all other pro series the 911's are always restricted to the lowest HP of any competitor to keep the class performance in balance. Wonder why they outlawed the 911 Turbo but the other manufacturers get forced induction? The 911 Turbo would crush everyone else and all other MFGr's would leave. I can go on and on..
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 09:53 PM   #165
graider
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift@red View Post
I dont agree with you here at all (unless you were talking about the difference between a 3 series and an m3). 911s def have an aggressive look...esp once you hit the GT3, GT2, Turbos, they kill anything in the bmw lineup as far as aggressive looks go.
Most people cant tell the difference between a 328i and an m3...so that doesnt really matter.
Also in terms of engines...the m3 engine is bmws best...it is still not nearly the engine the GT3 is and can barely keep pace with even the base 997.2.
As far as quality, Porsche beats bmw on any car any day of the week. better interior designs (some of the best in the business), better quality leather and controls.
yes, i was talking the 3 series and m3 in respond to his post.

it is not really fair to compare the m3 3.2L engine to the 3.7L gt3 engine they used in the cup car, plus at twice the cost. put it against the same price cayman s engine, then the 9 years old engine from bmw still smoking.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 10:06 PM   #166
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

We need to keep this discussion civil, and on topic.
      09-03-2009, 10:25 PM   #167
graider
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift@red View Post
Well the 997.1 GT3 engine is much better than the e9X m3 engine considering its got 2 less cylinders, .4 liters less displacement. makes more power, more tq, puts it all down to the ground MUCH better.
If you want to talk about engines of the same time. the old GT3 motor was 3.6 liters and made 381 hp...which the 3.2 liter m3 engine still wont touch, and that engine is about 9-10 years old as well.
the m3's engine is bmw best engine...we all know the cayman S engine Porsche's top engine, but it is still able to do more with it than more cars with 400 hp.
Best engine vs best engine, bmw doesnt have a shot.
the csl made 350hp from the 3.2l engine. does anyone know if the gt3 engine pass emission or it is excluded due to lower sell volume? I think the 4L v8 from bmw has lot of potential. e.g. a full exaust give it 20+hp/20+tq. I can't imagine what bmw can do with the csl version if the economy picks up. It would definitely give the gt3 engine a run for the money.

i think bmw wanted to sell high volume so they have to pass emission and keep the cost down. but if they goes ball out, I don't think porsche can touch them in the engine deparment. The new gt3 engine produces 450hp from a 3.8L, which is exactly the same hp as the new gt3 cup car. so looks like porsche just take the race engine and put it on the street car. that mean they sell it in low volume and bypass emission test. The m3 gtr makes 485hp from a 4L which is more hp/l versus the gt3 engine. if bmw is selling the same engine for the street car, then that is a very fair comparison between the two.

the cayman can do more simply because it is a lighter car. but it's engine is not at the level of the m3 engine. even the 911s engine does not produce more hp/L than the m3 engine.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 11:00 PM   #168
a burrito
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Honestly speaking. I just don't think you get it. Have you owned a porsche? I doubt it cause I get the feeling that you think porsche makes luxury meshed with sportiness. That's not really Porsche. You can bash the 911's back seat all you want but tell me what I don't know. They didn't make it to compete with the M3 or the M5. They wanted to make a Sports car. Do you know what that is?

Anyways-tell me, what bmw's have you owned?

Oh and yes I am a BIG Porsche fan but I LOVE the M3 and have mutual respect for all other brands. The difference between me and you is that I'm comfortable with saying that my 911s cab will get spanked by a M3 stock for stock. And that the M3 is far more Everyday usable than the Cayman. And yes the M3 will spank the First Gen cayman in the power department. But if it was my weekend car, I'd pick the 911s cab.If I had to choose a everyday car then i'd definitely take either the e90m3/C63/ Second hand e63.
      09-03-2009, 11:03 PM   #169
a burrito
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
yeah, i can picture you in your cab mobile looking at an m3 thinking i'm balling, any bmw is sh1t
Actually I feel pretty good in my cab. But no cock measuring here. My best friend owns a White e92 M3 and I gaze at that beast. Its absolutely stunning with the mods he put on it.
      09-03-2009, 11:04 PM   #170
a burrito
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
yeah you just got ripped.
How?
      09-03-2009, 11:06 PM   #171
a burrito
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
unfortunately, i would rather have a diarrhea than be in a 911 cab. You sound jealous cause you can't have one like mine.
If you know what the 911s cab costs, if i buy second hand I can have 3 decent examples of diarrhea sitting on my driveway.
      09-03-2009, 11:11 PM   #172
a burrito
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
but they don't look even remotely close. m3 has much more nicer stuff beside the handling. Like the engine, more aggresive look, nicer leather quality, etc. seems like you don't know anything about bmw. sad, especially since you already own a 330ci and you claimed to be a car enthusiast.

you can tell the m3 from mile away. you can't tell the different version of 911 from 50 meters away.
Same interior from the 330ci. The only difference is the Nappa Leather-and on top of that it still has that garbage HK system with that pointless button on the bottom of the center console to turn the rear speakers off. Within family we've had a 330ci, 330i, x5 4.4i, x5 4.8is, 645ci cab, 535i and 750il. We've had almost all of them for at least 50k miles, half of them for over 100k miles. I think I know bmw's pretty well. I have to say my favorite was the x5 4.8is. It reminded me a lot of a bigger e46 M3 that my close friend had.

-Oh and the M3 has that lovely fat steering wheel and gauges that lights up. Those are pretty cool.
      09-03-2009, 11:22 PM   #173
a burrito
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Well back to the OP. If you haven't made your choice yet then the final decision really depends on you to take a drive. You're picking between two different cars. My previous cayman with 19's was actually quite comfortable everyday. Pair it with the sport seats and the connection to the car is absolutely sublime. There are drawbacks; it is a two seater. Out of all the cars I have driven, The Cayman is the most amazing drive that I will forever remember. Like I praise, a mid engine platform mated with porsche engineering is an absolute gem. Many people don't know how great the car feels because they believe its not a "real porsche." I actually know many many 911 drivers that came from a cayman/boxster and they have much respect for the mid engine porsches. I truly believe nothing will give you the kind of experience until you get yourself into a R8, F430 scud, Carrera Gt, or any mid engine lotus.

The M3 is also a sublime car. I've driven all the RS4/C63/M3 quite frequently and I can see why m3post is such a big community. The m3 does everything does everything well and brings 997.1 type of performance while being comfortable. The only thing that drew me back from the m3 was the gas mileage and the New car Price. The M3 is able to drive in all seasons and able to carry 4 passengers with ease. The upgraded sound system is about the best i've heard in a car (the B&O in the S8 isn't a dog either). The leather they use on the M3's feel soft and far different than the nappa hide they used before. The differential behind your butt is a nice piece of mind and the sound of the 8 is like no other.

In the end, you really can't go wrong. For every time I've heard the 987/986 aren't real porsches, I just roll my eyes. I can't blame them though. I used to be one of those until I landed my butt into a 986. Then the infatuation started. Good luck.

The cayman will deliver true sports car performance (albeit not as fast as the M3 but far faster than your average car) with comfort. The M3 is brute fast, comfortable, looks great, and is a easy car to live with.
      09-03-2009, 11:35 PM   #174
graider
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
If you know what the 911s cab costs, if i buy second hand I can have 3 decent examples of diarrhea sitting on my driveway.
this is a good example of some Porsche owner mentality (i don't mean all). sure tough guy, i can see you are trying to show you have lot of money and that you owned many 911. which automatically made your comments worth everything.

but to tell you the truth, as more expensive your car is. actually not that expensive, a used 911s cab is easily attainable by most anyone that afford a new 335i. I refuse to be in a 911 cab even for free. I cannot describe how utterly ugly it is regardless of what color

I don't own any porsche yet and haven't driven one. but I'm thinking of getting a used gt3 for daily commute and keep my current one for the family occasion.

now before you go on to say that i don't have any porsche, so whatever i said is not valid as yours. well put it this way. i wouldn't get in bed with someone i think is massive ugly. would you? you can apply the same logic to your 911 cab.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2009, 07:31 AM   #175
urbo73
Captain
United_States
Rep

Hey - take this offline. The thread is diluted with 13 year old comments. It's one thing to be passionate, but no need to be personal and silly. In the old days, it would be "take it outside". Now "take it offline" will have to do

The OP's questions was answered, and the thread went in what I though could be a productive discussion. But it's getting diluted with this stuff. C'mon! Let's discuss intelligently.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2009, 08:36 AM   #176
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Why do so many threads turn bad because some people can't accept other people's difference in opinion.
Appreciate 0