BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

12-02-2020, 06:12 PM   #1
coneill
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

DCT pan replacement

Looks like I had something come up and put a hairline crack in the pan. I see kits from ECS with the filter and everything else but I can just replace the pan right? I haven't had any transmissions issues. Is this also still the recommended procedure for filling up the DCT fluid?

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=746269

Anyone with opinions on this from ECS? https://www.ecstuning.com/b-hamburg-...107842385~ham/
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 11:56 PM   #2
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
You can replace just the pan, but why not get the filters while you're in there? The c-clip/snap ring holding the cover in place is a major pain for the side filter, but just need some good tools and review the tips on the forums.

You'll need access to ISTA to get the full amount of fluid back in there. Without it, I was over 1 L short than what drained out so I ended up taking it into an shop to get it topped off.
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2020, 01:47 AM   #3
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximian View Post
You can replace just the pan, but why not get the filters while you're in there? The c-clip/snap ring holding the cover in place is a major pain for the side filter, but just need some good tools and review the tips on the forums.

You'll need access to ISTA to get the full amount of fluid back in there. Without it, I was over 1 L short than what drained out so I ended up taking it into an shop to get it topped off.
Ximian, curious on the ISTA bit (not a user). Reading BMW's TIS it says rev the car (2k) while filling, thats it. What are you controlling with the ISTA to get more fluid in?

Haven't changed fluid myself but had it done (warranty) the other week when the thermostat was replaced (over heat code). Went to an indy, don't believe they used ISTA.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 05:25 AM   #4
tldude876
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 m3, ap2 s2000

I plan to the DCT fluid change soon using a measuring bucket to collect the old fluid and then put the same amount back in.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 08:57 AM   #5
Ximian
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Ximian, curious on the ISTA bit (not a user). Reading BMW's TIS it says rev the car (2k) while filling, thats it. What are you controlling with the ISTA to get more fluid in?

Haven't changed fluid myself but had it done (warranty) the other week when the thermostat was replaced (over heat code). Went to an indy, don't believe they used ISTA.

Thanks!
You're not doing anything in addition to ISTA, but it might be doing something it's not telling you. I'm assuming it's doing something else because people using ISTA can add more fluid than people doing just the manual method.

It could also be that sometimes people come back to use the ISTA method to top off fluid after their cars were driven for days and the fluid is balanced out to the usual level everywhere (like the filters and hoses) so it's a coincidence. And the people that used the ISTA method to begin with can add more fluid if they tried again days later.

This video shows the screens pretty well -

Last edited by Ximian; 12-07-2020 at 09:23 AM..
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2020, 08:59 AM   #6
Ximian
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tldude876 View Post
I plan to the DCT fluid change soon using a measuring bucket to collect the old fluid and then put the same amount back in.
Some drain pans have volume measurements and it's very useful. Or you can make it yourself by measuring the water level in your current pan after adding 1 L at a time.
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2020, 09:10 AM   #7
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
You're not doing anything in addition to ISTA, but it might be doing something it's not telling you. I'm assuming it's doing something else because people using ISTA can add more fluid than people doing just the manual method.

It could also be that sometimes people come back to use the ISTA method to top off fluid after their cars were driven for days and the fluid is balanced out to the usual everywhere (like the filters and hoses) so it's a coincidence. And the people that used the ISTA method to begin with can add more fluid if they tried again days later.

This video shows the screens pretty well -
Cheers mate, got to learn a little something everyday...
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2020, 04:25 PM   #8
coneill
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Honestly just want to fix the cracked pan and probably selling it soon so yea I could replace the filter and all the other bits in there but overall Im not too concerned about it. Also I ended up just buying the OEM pan.

About the fill up procedure everything I've seen just mentions the revving for a minute at 1-2rpm. If its coming out through the fill plug I'm not really sure how you could get more in there even with ISTA. This video for the F80's which looks very similar to the e9x they mention the same thing after revving check the fill if it overflows you're good

Not saying the ISTA is wrong or having it done that way isn't probably the best way just not something that I'm probably going to be too worried about.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 04:31 PM   #9
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by coneill View Post
Quote:

Honestly just want to fix the cracked pan and probably selling it soon so yea I could replace the filter and all the other bits in there but overall Im not too concerned about it. Also I ended up just buying the OEM pan.

About the fill up procedure everything I've seen just mentions the revving for a minute at 1-2rpm. If its coming out through the fill plug I'm not really sure how you could get more in there even with ISTA. This video for the F80's which looks very similar to the e9x they mention the same thing after revving check the fill if it overflows you're good

Not saying the ISTA is wrong or having it done that way isn't probably the best way just not something that I'm probably going to be too worried about.
The fill procedure is nothing more than getting things to the proper temp. The 2 minutes of reving is for heat and fluid circulation. If you add fluid at the wrong temp you will under fill. It's not a crazy procedure as much as people think.
      12-13-2020, 04:41 PM   #10
coneill
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrippy View Post
The fill procedure is nothing more than getting things to the proper temp. The 2 minutes of revving is for heat and fluid circulation. If you add fluid at the wrong temp you will under fill. It's not a crazy procedure as much as people think.
After revving for the 2 minutes will the temps definitely be enough? Also should the car still be running when doing the top off after revving the engine or can you turn it off, top it off then close it up and be done?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 08:46 PM   #11
M43S7RO
Major
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E92 M3

The top off should be done with the engine running which keeps the dct fluid circulating. Otherwise the oil will settle back into the pan and will be underfilled.

Quote:
After revving for the 2 minutes will the temps definitely be enough? Also should the car still be running when doing the top off after revving the engine or can you turn it off, top it off then close it up and be done?
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2020, 09:16 PM   #12
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
The fill procedure is nothing more than getting things to the proper temp. The 2 minutes of revving is for heat and fluid circulation. If you add fluid at the wrong temp you will under fill. It's not a crazy procedure as much as people think.
You rev to build temp and this is where ISTA is great because it will display the temp. You do not rev during filling just idle. But to answer your question yes 2 minutes at 2,000 should do the trick. You basically fill until it flows out and plug it. You will need a pump as the fill hole is on the top of passenger side of trans. You can buy this pump at autozone for like $7, it screws right into the bottle.
Attached Images

12-13-2020, 09:40 PM   #13
Ximian
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
After revving for the 2 minutes will the temps definitely be enough?
Your exhaust will be pretty hot after 2 minutes or revving. I did this when the car was on jack stands so I got to feel it.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to get some heat resistant gloves and cut off the finger tips you need to insert the fill bolt and tighten it a bit.

Last edited by Ximian; 12-14-2020 at 08:56 AM..
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2020, 10:32 PM   #14
coneill
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You rev to build temp and this is where ISTA is great because it will display the temp. You do not rev during filling just idle. But to answer your question yes 2 minutes at 2,000 should do the trick. You basically fill until it flows out and plug it. You will need a pump as the fill hole is on the top of passenger side of trans. You can buy this pump at autozone for like $7, it screws right into the bottle.
Yup. Got one of those. can't wait to pump it a thousand times.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 10:35 PM   #15
coneill
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Cool so sounds like process is

Fill
Snug up the fill plug
Rev for a minute to get temps
Fill plug out, top up while engine is idle.
Torque fill plug.

Shouldn't be too bad.

Last edited by coneill; 12-13-2020 at 10:35 PM.. Reason: looks like one minute is the proper time
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 05:58 PM   #16
White_M3
Rep
Drives: M3

I just did this. You need to get the the DCT fluid up to temp (takes a while), and then keep the engine at slightly above idle to get the max amount of fluid in. Easy peasy.
Appreciate 1
      12-27-2020, 01:52 PM   #17
coneill
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

finally got this finished. Fairly easy although being under the car while its running makes me uneasy. I managed to get about 6 liters in before it started coming out of the fill plug so anyone else looking to do it I recommend grabbing an extra liter or two. The kits that come with 5 aren't enough if you do the whole procedure of filling it with it running.
Appreciate 0