BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-13-2010, 04:01 PM   #1
advans
Advansolosis
95
Rep
1,382
Posts

Drives: ///M+////AMG
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NYC

iTrader: (1)

Blizzak WS-60 Review

So, I have the Blizzak WS-60s on the M now, drove for about 250 miles and decided that I hate them in dry and wet weather.

Compared to the Stock PS2s, the WS-60s are horrible in the dry weather.

I'm running 245/40/18 all around on Style 118s.

Anyways, got some input for the ones who are still shopping around.

They slide. I was told that the tires are quite slippery for the first few hundred miles, yes they are, the traction light goes on all the time. I say, ALL THE TIME.

Not that loud. It's not that loud. My Eagle F1 AS on my 535xi was def louder than this.

Horrible dry weather handling I guess compared to my PS2s yes, they are horrible. Even compared to my winter setup on my C55, Running 235/40/17 square setup, Yoko YK520.

Hard as a rockThat's what she said, but yes, the tires are freakin hard.

Great in snow! Never driven in snow, but from watching the tire rack videos, seems like they would be great.

Smooth Ride quality? Not really, I was running the 19" ZCP setup, with EDC on Sport II, feels the same.

End of the day They are really winter tires, can't expect performance from them, but def run stag, don't run square. Still hearing around that these ARE the best stud-less winter tires.

I regret running a staggered setup, i think handling would def be better if I ran Stag.
__________________

2011///M3_ZCP:
2009_550i_MSport_daily_driver
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 06:27 PM   #2
audioMeth
Captain
audioMeth's Avatar
United_States
89
Rep
955
Posts

Drives: F80
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Rehoboth, MA

iTrader: (8)

you should have went with lm25's or wintersports. ws60's are squishy from my past experience, but my frame would have to lift in order for me to get stuck in the deep stuff.

my wintersports definitely loose traction more often on dry pavement but they do have less surface area back there.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 07:33 PM   #3
advans
Advansolosis
95
Rep
1,382
Posts

Drives: ///M+////AMG
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NYC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuespeedgti View Post
you should have went with lm25's or wintersports. ws60's are squishy from my past experience, but my frame would have to lift in order for me to get stuck in the deep stuff.

my wintersports definitely loose traction more often on dry pavement but they do have less surface area back there.

I was considering the LM25s but was told that the WS60s was a hybrid of the WS50 and LM25?
__________________

2011///M3_ZCP:
2009_550i_MSport_daily_driver
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 08:48 PM   #4
gthal
Major General
gthal's Avatar
Canada
1805
Rep
5,688
Posts

Drives: 2018 340i xDrive
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Canada

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by advans View Post
I was considering the LM25s but was told that the WS60s was a hybrid of the WS50 and LM25?
I think the closer "hybrid" would be the LM60. Same tread pattern as the WS60 but in a "performance" version with better dry road stability.
__________________
2018 340i | Mineral Gray | Current DD | C8 mid-engine Corvette to come next year
2016 M2 | Long Beach Blue | 6MT
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2014 Corvette Stingray | Z51 | Torch Red | 7MT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3 | 1996 E36 M3 (track car)
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 08:48 PM   #5
e90m3_6MT
First Lieutenant
Canada
21
Rep
317
Posts

Drives: 2016 GT3 RS
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Montréal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by advans View Post
So, I have the Blizzak WS-60s on the M now, drove for about 250 miles and decided that I hate them in dry and wet weather.

Compared to the Stock PS2s, the WS-60s are horrible in the dry weather.

I'm running 245/40/18 all around on Style 118s.

Anyways, got some input for the ones who are still shopping around.

They slide. I was told that the tires are quite slippery for the first few hundred miles, yes they are, the traction light goes on all the time. I say, ALL THE TIME.

Not that loud. It's not that loud. My Eagle F1 AS on my 535xi was def louder than this.

Horrible dry weather handling I guess compared to my PS2s yes, they are horrible. Even compared to my winter setup on my C55, Running 235/40/17 square setup, Yoko YK520.

Hard as a rockThat's what she said, but yes, the tires are freakin hard.

Great in snow! Never driven in snow, but from watching the tire rack videos, seems like they would be great.

Smooth Ride quality? Not really, I was running the 19" ZCP setup, with EDC on Sport II, feels the same.

End of the day They are really winter tires, can't expect performance from them, but def run stag, don't run square. Still hearing around that these ARE the best stud-less winter tires.

I regret running a staggered setup, i think handling would def be better if I ran Stag.

if you want a winter tire that handles get pirelli sottozero's
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 09:11 PM   #6
2000gsr
First Lieutenant
2000gsr's Avatar
Canada
11
Rep
371
Posts

Drives: 2008 E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Toronto, ON

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90m3_6MT View Post
if you want a winter tire that handles get pirelli sottozero's
I have the pirelli sottozero's seris II and they suck ass in the snow! Dry handling is pretty decent.
__________________
http://www.m3post.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=44350&dateline=125013  4806
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 10:52 PM   #7
advans
Advansolosis
95
Rep
1,382
Posts

Drives: ///M+////AMG
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NYC

iTrader: (1)

I've chosen SNOW over dry roads, since i go boarding a lot, i need a tire that digs into snow!

maybe I can just swap my wheels whenever its not snowing.
__________________

2011///M3_ZCP:
2009_550i_MSport_daily_driver
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 11:05 PM   #8
shamoo
Captain
38
Rep
747
Posts

Drives: 2008 E92 M3
Join Date: May 2010
Location: SoCal (Irvine & LA)

iTrader: (1)

I don't think there's any snow tire that actually can handle well in the dry, is there?

I've had both Blizzak WS-50s and WS-60s on my S2000 and I couldn't go that fast in the dry. Any type of cornering faster than my mom would turn and the rear end would wiggle very easily.

I now have Dunlop Wintersports on my M3 (square setup) and it's my first time with them. I put them on this past weekend and they performed in the dry much like the Blizzaks. The car is pretty twitchy even when trying to turn normally. I'd be worried for the safety of anyone besides me driving the car.

I just expect that type of dry handling with these tires.
__________________
2008 E92 M3 | 2007 Honda S2000 | 2001 Honda S2000 | 1997 Turbo Integra
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 11:42 PM   #9
advans
Advansolosis
95
Rep
1,382
Posts

Drives: ///M+////AMG
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NYC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamoo View Post
I don't think there's any snow tire that actually can handle well in the dry, is there?

I've had both Blizzak WS-50s and WS-60s on my S2000 and I couldn't go that fast in the dry. Any type of cornering faster than my mom would turn and the rear end would wiggle very easily.

I now have Dunlop Wintersports on my M3 (square setup) and it's my first time with them. I put them on this past weekend and they performed in the dry much like the Blizzaks. The car is pretty twitchy even when trying to turn normally. I'd be worried for the safety of anyone besides me driving the car.

I just expect that type of dry handling with these tires.
yeah, i mean, the best part of it is it slides, i love sliding around. it's just annoying when ur trying to put ur foot down a bit more and the traction control comes on.
__________________

2011///M3_ZCP:
2009_550i_MSport_daily_driver
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 12:33 AM   #10
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
50
Rep
1,676
Posts

Drives: 08 M3
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: FL to NY

iTrader: (4)

i run the performance Blizzaks in a staggered setup. i think there the LM60, had the prev addition on my M5 which was the LM25 i think.

using a 235/35/19 front and 255/35/19. these things are a blast in fresh powder. work good in ice and on the wet. the trade off is they don't handle as well in the dry and are louder and vibrate more then a summer tire of course. but where i am i have no choice. if you are rough on them one season as on the dry roads they wear quicker. if you go easy then maybe 2 seasons. i am into my 2nd season and i can tell i am ready for new rears at least

i thought of running a square setup but i hate the look and can't imagine how bad it handles. i was suprised at how deep i was able to go in the snow with these and the low front was only thing stopped me. i imagine if i got 18's it would be even better
__________________
Street- 08 E92 M3- Sparkling Graphite/ Fox Red/6sp
Track- 10 CRF 250-PR2 Race Motor/Ohlins TTX Susp
Hauler- 06 Ford Skyjacker F250 4WD
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 12:58 AM   #11
signes
Brigadier General
signes's Avatar
United_States
134
Rep
4,293
Posts

Drives: 991 GT3 RS
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Living at (almost...) 9k

iTrader: (5)

The WS60 is the most aggressive snow Bridgestone makes (studless ice and snow.) Not surprising to hear your comments about dry performance. LM series is much more performance oriented, like Dunlop Wintersport and Michelin Pilot Alpin. The upside for you will be when you wind up in some deep stuff on your way to the mountains. The WS60 like Nokian Hakka's (my set up) are untouchable in the white stuff and ice.
__________________
GT3 RS | Desperately seeking the next great M car...
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 08:59 AM   #12
chris s
Major General
chris s's Avatar
772
Rep
6,702
Posts

Drives: 2016 SMB F80 M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New York

iTrader: (11)

Wrong tire choice for you apparently. Comparing it to the PS2 in the dry is kinda silly.

I went with the LM-25s and i'm actually impressed with how they feel in the dry.
__________________
2016 Individual F80 M3 - San Marino Blue|Full Amaro | Built by IMG Motorsport and Prime Performance | Mode Carbon | ESS | Akrapovic EVO | KW HAS | M Performance...
2012 MR e92 M3 DCT, fully loaded... GONE but not forgotten!
2008 e92 M3 Coupe 6MT | AW/BLK Extended...SOLD!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 10:34 AM   #13
CSanto
Colonel
467
Rep
2,962
Posts

Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New York

iTrader: (3)

LM 60 is where its at. 255/35/19 fronts, 265/35/19 rears on stock 19s.

0 complaints..It's like making an M3 All Wheel Drive.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 11:42 AM   #14
301Bimmer9
It's Playtime
United_States
2
Rep
188
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: May 2010
Location: MOCO, MD

iTrader: (0)

I love the LM-25s in the cold and dry. Used them for light snow this morning and it was fine. The WS are for heavy snow and ice right?
__________________
2011 E92 M3 AW/Fox Red ZCP
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 05:54 PM   #15
advans
Advansolosis
95
Rep
1,382
Posts

Drives: ///M+////AMG
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NYC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 301Bimmer9 View Post
I love the LM-25s in the cold and dry. Used them for light snow this morning and it was fine. The WS are for heavy snow and ice right?
i believe they are more snow oriented. I think I will just mount these on when I'm running to the mountains. I think for city driving, i'll just put my PS2s back on!
__________________

2011///M3_ZCP:
2009_550i_MSport_daily_driver
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 06:07 PM   #16
e90m3_6MT
First Lieutenant
Canada
21
Rep
317
Posts

Drives: 2016 GT3 RS
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Montréal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000gsr View Post
I have the pirelli sottozero's seris II and they suck ass in the snow! Dry handling is pretty decent.
they still represent a much better compromise than the blizzaks.

I had lm-25's, great traction but handling was shitty and each time I went near the throttle, the back of the car was moving around on the tires. the pirreli's have a much stiffer tire casing and there is not that much difference in traction.

also, for optimum traction you need the right tire pressure.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 06:12 PM   #17
graider
Colonel
graider's Avatar
29
Rep
2,406
Posts

Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: toronto

iTrader: (0)

i have lm25 on my 19 and it's fine.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 02:18 PM   #18
advans
Advansolosis
95
Rep
1,382
Posts

Drives: ///M+////AMG
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NYC

iTrader: (1)

now I have more miles on the tires about 400 miles on them, they ride a lot better now, no more of that sliding every 2 seconds.
__________________

2011///M3_ZCP:
2009_550i_MSport_daily_driver
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 07:54 PM   #19
STALKER
Brigadier General
93
Rep
3,736
Posts

Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, ON

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by advans View Post
now I have more miles on the tires about 400 miles on them, they ride a lot better now, no more of that sliding every 2 seconds.
All tires need a few hundred miles to break in.
Glad you are liking them more now.
__________________

2013 991 C4S-SOLD
2012 Golf R
2010 GT3
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 11:46 PM   #20
advans
Advansolosis
95
Rep
1,382
Posts

Drives: ///M+////AMG
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NYC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STALKER View Post
All tires need a few hundred miles to break in.
Glad you are liking them more now.
yeah, i am, even with EDC on Sport 2 it's still comfty!
__________________

2011///M3_ZCP:
2009_550i_MSport_daily_driver
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 09:54 AM   #21
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor
70
Rep
964
Posts

Drives: 740i
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South Bend, IN

iTrader: (0)

Glad to hear that they are working out well after the break-in period. It was fun to look at all the responses on this thread. So many different preferences for snow tires depending on driving style and weather.
__________________
_______________________________________________
I have accepted a new position at Tire Rack and am no longer in the sales department. gary@tirerack.com is available to assist with M3 questions.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 10:27 AM   #22
advans
Advansolosis
95
Rep
1,382
Posts

Drives: ///M+////AMG
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NYC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben@tirerack View Post
Glad to hear that they are working out well after the break-in period. It was fun to look at all the responses on this thread. So many different preferences for snow tires depending on driving style and weather.
yeap! I had my shop order my tires from you guys, great service, awesome price, GREAT VIDEO REVIEW too! That's what pushed me to get the WS60s!
__________________

2011///M3_ZCP:
2009_550i_MSport_daily_driver
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:02 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST