BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

EXXEL Distributions

10-18-2011, 07:47 PM   #89
_Jono_
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 DCT, 2012 GTR, Speed3

2012 is 2.88 bTw
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 11:05 PM   #90
TRY...M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Jono_ View Post
2012 is 2.88 bTw
Wow
Lamborghini-Talk.com: Christian.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 07:28 AM   #91
991GT3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ford Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Jono_ View Post
2012 is 2.88 bTw
Under perfect conditions. I have never come close to that. 3.1 is as fast as I've clocked mine. 0-60 is all about traction. I think 0-100 and quarter mile measurements are better indicators of accelertion. I just nailed 7.2 sprinting to 100. The car is pretty quick.

-2016 Macan Turbo(GF vehicle)
-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 08:43 AM   #92
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by 997GT3 View Post
Under perfect conditions. I have never come close to that. 3.1 is as fast as I've clocked mine. 0-60 is all about traction. I think 0-100 and quarter mile measurements are better indicators of accelertion. I just nailed 7.2 sprinting to 100. The car is pretty quick.
Although I personally think an 0-60 time is pretty much a worthless measurement, I am curious.

What method did you use to measure 0-60, and what method did Nissan use?

Bruce
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 10:37 AM   #93
Nine
Banned
Rep
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.

I'm not sure why people are so shocked at the times, it's AWD, 500+Hp, it's simple stuff here. You throw power at something, give it grip - it will go fast.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 12:13 PM   #94
991GT3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce.augenstein@comcast. View Post
Although I personally think an 0-60 time is pretty much a worthless measurement, I am curious.

What method did you use to measure 0-60, and what method did Nissan use?

Bruce

I use a Racelogic Performance box (no rollout).
I was in my 2012 GTR. My 2009 GTR, using the same device, was about a half second slower to 60 and almost a second slower to 100.
I should note that I'm running on all seasons which accounts for a slower 0-60. I have no doubt, given proper conditions it could go well south of 3.

-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 12:54 PM   #95
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

For those of you making the argument that the GTR is a bargain for the performance (e.g., ya Porsche is a bit faster but costs 2x etc), try to remember our M3s can get destroyed by tuned Evos and STis. And how much less do THOSE cost? A lot less. You won't see me jumping ship, though.

If you're driving the M3 only because you think it's the quickest car for the dollar, you fail. If that's all you care about, the GTR makes sense. Otherwise, there are plenty of more exclusive, better crafted vehicles with quality and tenure to choose from.
      10-19-2011, 01:03 PM   #96
991GT3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
For those of you making the argument that the GTR is a bargain for the performance (e.g., ya Porsche is a bit faster but costs 2x etc), try to remember our M3s can get destroyed by tuned Evos and STis. And how much less do THOSE cost? A lot less. You won't see me jumping ship, though.

If you're driving the M3 only because you think it's the quickest car for the dollar, you fail. If that's all you care about, the GTR makes sense. Otherwise, there are plenty of more exclusive, better crafted vehicles with quality and tenure to choose from.

The tuned argument gets old. It's apples and oranges. Stock for stock is implicit in these debates.

-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 01:14 PM   #97
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
The tuned argument gets old. It's apples and oranges. Stock for stock is implicit in these debates.
My argument wasn't necessarily pointed and tuned vs stock. I'd still rather have the Porsche over a GTR despite the costs. I don't think we can use the "yeah but it's so much cheaper" argument when considering all factors involved. If the only argument is price, then that's why I say just get an STi and go beat up more expensive cars.
      10-19-2011, 01:50 PM   #98
Onurleft
Captain
Rep
Drives: RPM

Quote:
My argument wasn't necessarily pointed and tuned vs stock. I'd still rather have the Porsche over a GTR despite the costs. I don't think we can use the "yeah but it's so much cheaper" argument when considering all factors involved. If the only argument is price, then that's why I say just get an STi and go beat up more expensive cars.
I just disagree. Originally they were but in the lest 5 years or so the performance of the Sti and Evo in many ways has gone down if we are talking strictly about numbers.
Not to mention if you option out an Evo and Sti with the most basic features offered in luxury cars they run 38-48k. The price really went up when they tried to target an older market.

Today's bargains - 5.0 Mustang and V6 Mustang (even a V6 will kill an Sti on a track), Hyundai Genesis, Cobalt SS, Camaro SS and V6 to name a few in the 20-35k range.

Just my .02
      10-19-2011, 01:58 PM   #99
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR View Post
If you think that all of us bought the M3 to be the fastest car out there you are silly. I know lots of cars will spank my M3 for less but none of them offer a more complete package than the M3....... very few cars in the world offer a more complete package than the M3 for any price.

BUT 3.0 TO 100KMH IS PLAIN CRAZY!!!!
can you elaborate how the gtr is not a complete package. it have rear seats for small children so i can fit my wife and two kids in the car (enough for 99% of family man like me). big trunk. awd for all year round driving in any climax, way faster and handle way better than the m3, reliability is about the same. won't sound as good as the m3 NA, but an exaust in the gtr would definitely fix that and add even more power to boost. I think it is more complete than the m3.

look is subjective for everyone. i personally like the rough look of the gtr. atleast i don't have to worry about it like a pretty piece of jewelry.

the nissan badge, i think this is just simply childish. i don't care what badge a car wear, if it is good, i like it.

personally if if i'm shopping for a car like turbo or gtr. i would definitely go with the gtr. any other car is really apple vs orange, so i don't think the debate makes sense.

for example you can compare m3 to gtr, gt3 to gtr. but at the end of the day, these are NA, rwd, etc...so much different.

Last edited by graider; 10-19-2011 at 02:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 02:27 PM   #100
Nine
Banned
Rep

Quote:

I need to agree with this, especially considering how expensive it is to walk away from a GT-R's warranty.

Quote:
No, I don't think so. I think Nissan is taking advantage of your thinking that there is a huge difference between Stock vs. Modded, stock/production cars cetainly get more press, or threads on the internet. But in reality, many of us who have been around cars with huge potential, like Mustang Cobras, EVOs, and so forth, know that many cars are capable of producing significant amounts of power and performance with very little adjustments. Take a look at a car like the EVO FQ400

The GT-R, to me is really like an AWD supra of this era, but the Supra, with the appropriate backing would give a GT-R a run for it's money, even with older technology, the platform isthere, and it was just perfected by many tuners, and track junkies. Instead, Nissan is now just upping the boost, and making minor changes to produce these upgrades or tunes. Look at the P31 Package for the c63AMG, the potential for significant upgrades is there for many vehicles, it's just a matter if the manufacturer wants to do it or leave it in the hands of the owner and the aftermarket.

The GT-R is a monster, stock or modified, but the performance is not quite in the 'awe' range just yet, I think the biggest 'awe' factor is that it's a Nissan, not a Ferrari, Not a Porsche, it's a Nissan, you can pick up for 100k and give anyone and everyone trouble, I just think people tend to overlook many other cars that take 10k, and give you 0-60 in under 3 seconds, or 1/4 times under 10 seconds.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 02:55 PM   #101
991GT3
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Tell me how well the Subie warranty stands up when you tune it to run roughly the same performance numbers a stock GTR hits? And please tell me how well tuned cars hold their value when you try and sell them?
Frankly tuned cars are expensive and risky propositions.
And you may have a bias towards Porsche but price is very much a factor for a great number of people. I have been chomping at the bit to buy a 911 but every time I get close I can't rationalize the price gap.

-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 03:00 PM   #102
scheherazade
Major
Rep
Drives: 09 GTR (& 93' accord!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine View Post
I need to agree with this, especially considering how expensive it is to walk away from a GT-R's warranty.

No, I don't think so. I think Nissan is taking advantage of your thinking that there is a huge difference between Stock vs. Modded, stock/production cars cetainly get more press, or threads on the internet. But in reality, many of us who have been around cars with huge potential, like Mustang Cobras, EVOs, and so forth, know that many cars are capable of producing significant amounts of power and performance with very little adjustments. Take a look at a car like the EVO FQ400

The GT-R, to me is really like an AWD supra of this era, but the Supra, with the appropriate backing would give a GT-R a run for it's money, even with older technology, the platform isthere, and it was just perfected by many tuners, and track junkies. Instead, Nissan is now just upping the boost, and making minor changes to produce these upgrades or tunes. Look at the P31 Package for the c63AMG, the potential for significant upgrades is there for many vehicles, it's just a matter if the manufacturer wants to do it or leave it in the hands of the owner and the aftermarket.

The GT-R is a monster, stock or modified, but the performance is not quite in the 'awe' range just yet, I think the biggest 'awe' factor is that it's a Nissan, not a Ferrari, Not a Porsche, it's a Nissan, you can pick up for 100k and give anyone and everyone trouble, I just think people tend to overlook many other cars that take 10k, and give you 0-60 in under 3 seconds, or 1/4 times under 10 seconds.
People aren't overlooking that.

The issue is that it's hard to find a car that you CAN'T make fast if you throw $10K at it.
And if $10k doesn't buy you much, it's probably a fairly quick car to begin with...
(Let's not bother with the outlier examples, like making an 18 wheeler go under 3)

It's just a moot point.
Everything can be silly fast - with enough money.
So what? That's not a car comparison, that's a wallet comparison.

-scheherazade
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 03:16 PM   #103
Nine
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheherazade View Post
People aren't overlooking that.

The issue is that it's hard to find a car that you CAN'T make fast if you throw $10K at it.
And if $10k doesn't buy you much, it's probably a fairly quick car to begin with...
(Let's not bother with the outlier examples, like making an 18 wheeler go under 3)

It's just a moot point.
Everything can be silly fast - with enough money.
So what? That's not a car comparison, that's a wallet comparison.

-scheherazade

Is that not what selling cars like the GT-R is all about, a wallet comparison? Let's be honest here, most people can't afford a 100k car. Not to mention the dick contest, I drive Porsche, well my Nissan is faster, etc etc...

I wouldn't say it's moot, it's what Nissan is doing, they are acting in place of what most JDM tuners would be doing. Increase boost, install high flow exhaust, adjust engine management system, this shouldn't be something that shocks people.

What is annoying is that the Skyline GT-R fans, or people who followed the previous models are the minority of the GT-R owners and fan boys. The new school people are some how shocked that this new platform can produce such power or numbers, to me it's shocking, They've never heard of an R-33 or R-34??? really??
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 03:25 PM   #104
erio
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 JB M3, 2012 GTR

Quote:

It's the overall package that the stock GTR provides. Of course you can even throw some turbos on a Honda Civic to achieve some amazing times, but none of the cars you mentioned are going offer the overall performance package, esp on a track (tuned or not), under warranty with a great resale value and reliability like the GTR. Also, as you know it's easy to extract power from a GTR if you want to compare tuned cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 03:33 PM   #105
Nine
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by erio View Post
It's the overall package that the GTR provides. Of course you can even throw some turbos on a Honda Civic to achieve some amazing times, but none of the cars you mentioned are going offer the overall performance package, esp on a track (tuned or not), under warranty with a great resale value and reliability like the GTR. Also, it's pretty easy to extract power from a GTR if you want to compare tune cars.

I think you must be another person who does not know what an R-34 is. That is ok, I'll play anyway.

The GTR is about a 90k-100k car, obviously it's not a Honda Civic or an EVO, it's double the price of most cars I've listed.

No way should 10k on a civic get you a GT-R, are you stupid or something? My point is that Nissan is extracting what is available, not innovating, this extraction is common through the JDM and Modified world, it should not draw shock and awe, especially those who claim to be GT-R know it alls, people who obviously know nothing about prior generations of the Skyline GT-Rs.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 03:38 PM   #106
991GT3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I think you must be another person who does not know what an R-34 is. That is ok, I'll play anyway.
Do you really need to throw in the snide comments?

-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 04:06 PM   #107
Nine
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Do you really need to throw in the snide comments?
Sorry Dad, didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 04:46 PM   #108
erio
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

The GTR is about a 90k-100k car, obviously it's not a Honda Civic or an EVO, it's double the price of most cars I've listed.

No way should 10k on a civic get you a GT-R, are you stupid or something? My point is that Nissan is extracting what is available, not innovating, this extraction is common through the JDM and Modified world, it should not draw shock and awe, especially those who claim to be GT-R know it alls, people who obviously know nothing about prior generations of the Skyline GT-Rs.
I'm not stupid, but if saying that makes you feel better so be it. Thanks for the immature comment. Typical M3 forum member you are indeed. It's hard to post something on this forum without someone making an ignorant childish response. So typical. This is one of the downfalls of the M3 forum. I rarely see comments like this on other forums I follow.

Did I mention anything about the last generations? What does that have to do with my comments? You didn't even properly respond to my post. Well your assumptions are false as I'm well aware of the GTRs history dating back to 1969, including it's racing history. In fact some of those cars were imported here.

Anyway, I was responding to your statement that there are many other cars to choose from that will allow similar performance for an extra 10k. Maybe you should read your own thread to see that. See above. It's not all about 0-60 or 1/4 mile times. The civic was obviously an exaggerated example that can be applied to an EVO, Mustang, etc.

Last edited by erio; 10-19-2011 at 05:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 04:48 PM   #109
991GT3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Sorry Dad, didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings.
I doubt you're hurting anyones feelings. I just just fail to see how it leads to anything constructive.

-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 04:54 PM   #110
erio
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I doubt you're hurting anyones feelings. I just just fail to see how it leads to anything constructive.
+1.
Appreciate 0