BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-31-2021, 05:10 PM   #23
neilum
Captain
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrike360 View Post
I keep trying to like the F8x; the ludicrous speed it makes accessible is so tempting. I actually test drove one this morning, and came back to the same conclusion I have after my last two drives. Interestingly, my bolt on E92 feels roughly as fast as the base F80, just missing the low end punch. The car is nice (base interior materials do feel cheaper though, extended/full leather is a different story), it goes fast, handles well. But it just never feels exciting to me. My 958.1 Cayenne Turbo feels more fun/exciting to drive, purely because of the stupidity of a 5000 lb fatty that will hustle.

I think I'll build out my E92 into my ultimate E92, keeping it NA. Maybe I'll do something stupid like a stroker. But in a few years, I can see picking up an F90 or 991.1 Turbo for stupid speed.
x2. I have been there with the F80 and came to the same conclusion 3 years ago. Plus the F80 cannot put power down so honestly I don't really miss the power because unless it was above 60 degrees and dry out the car was a mess.

ESS G1 S/C is on order as we speak so I think I'll miss the F80 even less with 550 WHP in my E90. I can't imagine an F80 having much on it at that point besides looks. The F80 looks amazing.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2021, 08:31 PM   #24
SilverSlug
Hey, where have you been all my life?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 6MT

What is it missing? 2 cylinders for starters!

(And possibly a clutch pedal) 😜
Appreciate 1
mrahp2383.50
      07-07-2021, 12:28 PM   #25
414bhp
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, CTS-V, AMG GT S, Tesla

So, I've driven the F8X several times at the BMW Performance Center at the Thermal Club. Especially in with the competition pack and carbon ceramic brakes, I am very impressed with how well the F8X holds up to track work. The chassis is supremely confidence inspiring, and it's pretty amazing how well it can do both precision track work as well as drifting. (Boy do those BMW instructors drift the sh*t out of the M3s and M4s!)

One of the main problems with my E90 M3 was finding brakes that worked both on the street as they did on the track; it always was a compromise, and to get a pad that held up to the track, I'd have to deal with some ugly squealing in town. The F8X's carbon ceramics solve that completely. Not that I'd want to be the guy to buy the replacement rotors!

When it comes to engines, I'd much rather have the E90's V8 on the track than the F8X's I6. The V8 is an electrifying animal when driven near the redline, and has the moves of a 911 GT3 engine (while being stuffed in a family sedan!). On the street and in the canyons, I don't run at redline, and I appreciate the F8X's turbo torque.

The other thing that really impressed me with the latest F8X's is that the ESP programming has been greatly improved. The E90's programming always got in my way, even in MDM mode. I ran ESP off on the track. Same was true of the earlier F8X's and their MDM; my driving style would trip the ESP before I'd reach the limits of grip. But in the later F8X's, the ESP became so good that even normal ESP on was acceptable for trackwork, and I felt like I could probe the car's limits without being held back.

Anyway, I think they are both great cars. They do have different strengths, so you can pick and choose what speaks to you most.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 10:16 PM   #26
TractionControlDelete
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82-E92 M3-E46 M3-E30-S1K-330i

Garage List
2004 X5  [9.00]
2006 325i  [10.00]
2021 S1000RR  [9.50]
2006 330i  [7.75]
1986 325e  [10.00]
2005 M3  [7.40]
2009 M3  [8.63]
2018 M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnofar View Post
I can comment as an owner of an E46 M3, then F80 M3 and now E90 M3.

The F platform cars are great daily drivers. Tons of features I never had in my E46....heads up display, rear camera, heated front and rear seats, tons of torque, etc. My biggest gripe with the F80 was sound. It just sounded like most other turbo'd cars and that detracted a little bit for me. The E46 had rasp and sounded like a buzz saw and I loved it because it had character.

I recently sold my F80 M3 to get a E90 M3 as it's a wish list car for me. I always wanted to own a V8 car and this is my first. The E90 obviously sounds better stock V8 vs twin turbo I6. Both are supremely capable cars and have great features.

I wouldn't say the F80 "did nothing for me" but I also realized I want "less" in a car. Less features and displays and just want something that lets me focus on driving fun, while being able to take my two kids with me (hence buying an E90). We shall see how reliability hold up for a used car vs a new car.
Curious if you have an update now that you've had the E90 for a few months? My use case sounds similar to yours. I have a M4 6MT (which I'll keep) but I do want a E90 M3 as a daily for school drop offs and other family tasks.

https://youtube.com/@tractioncontroldelete
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 10:26 PM   #27
cnofar
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, Jerez Black/Fox Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by F82KPowers View Post
Quote:

The F platform cars are great daily drivers. Tons of features I never had in my E46....heads up display, rear camera, heated front and rear seats, tons of torque, etc. My biggest gripe with the F80 was sound. It just sounded like most other turbo'd cars and that detracted a little bit for me. The E46 had rasp and sounded like a buzz saw and I loved it because it had character.

I recently sold my F80 M3 to get a E90 M3 as it's a wish list car for me. I always wanted to own a V8 car and this is my first. The E90 obviously sounds better stock V8 vs twin turbo I6. Both are supremely capable cars and have great features.

I wouldn't say the F80 "did nothing for me" but I also realized I want "less" in a car. Less features and displays and just want something that lets me focus on driving fun, while being able to take my two kids with me (hence buying an E90). We shall see how reliability hold up for a used car vs a new car.
Curious if you have an update now that you've had the E90 for a few months? My use case sounds similar to yours. I have a M4 6MT (which I'll keep) but I do want a E90 M3 as a daily for school drop offs and other family tasks.
Happy to update. I've had my E90 M3 a few months now. Overall have had great reliability with it. Car is very low mileage, only 22k miles when I bought it so original throttle actuators and rod bearings. I have not bought into that Kool Aid to replace all those items yet as I know my car is super low mileage and not driven much.

Car has been great for daily activities. I can pickup and drop off my two boys easily. Fits two cars seats easily, although the rear facing seat eats up front seat leg room quite a bit.

Gas mileage is about 16-17mpg combined as I do both city and expressway often.

Only real issue I had was weak air conditioning and had to recharge the system, not sure if any leak or just old age. Overall I'm happy with my car. Cannot find another v8, 4 door, manual transmission car for under $40k...I have no clue what I would replace it with.

Fee free to hit me up if you need more info.

Cheers
Christopher.
      09-29-2021, 10:34 PM   #28
TractionControlDelete
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82-E92 M3-E46 M3-E30-S1K-330i

Garage List
2004 X5  [9.00]
2006 325i  [10.00]
2021 S1000RR  [9.50]
2006 330i  [7.75]
1986 325e  [10.00]
2005 M3  [7.40]
2009 M3  [8.63]
2018 M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by F82KPowers View Post
Quote:

Happy to update. I've had my E90 M3 a few months now. Overall have had great reliability with it. Car is very low mileage, only 22k miles when I bought it so original throttle actuators and rod bearings. I have not bought into that Kool Aid to replace all those items yet as I know my car is super low mileage and not driven much.

Car has been great for daily activities. I can pickup and drop off my two boys easily. Fits two cars seats easily, although the rear facing seat eats up front seat leg room quite a bit.

Gas mileage is about 16-17mpg combined as I do both city and expressway often.

Only real issue I had was weak air conditioning and had to recharge the system, not sure if any leak or just old age. Overall I'm happy with my car. Cannot find another v8, 4 door, manual transmission car for under $40k...I have no clue what I would replace it with.

Fee free to hit me up if you need more info.

Cheers
Christopher.
You really don't know how valuable this post was! Thank you for the detailed response - these are EXACTLY the things I care about for this specific car and it's particular use. Much appreciated 💪

https://youtube.com/@tractioncontroldelete
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 08:49 PM   #29
Shrike360
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3, 2011 Porsche CTT

Quote:
Hopefully this issue was resolved. My E92 blows ice cold.

My Cayenne had issues with the AC not blowing cold. Checked the charge, it was all fine. Taking it on longer trips with AC running the whole time seemed to resolve the issue. Was shocked I had to do that with a car from Texas.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 09:49 AM   #30
cnofar
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, Jerez Black/Fox Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrike360 View Post
Quote:
Hopefully this issue was resolved. My E92 blows ice cold.

My Cayenne had issues with the AC not blowing cold. Checked the charge, it was all fine. Taking it on longer trips with AC running the whole time seemed to resolve the issue. Was shocked I had to do that with a car from Texas.
Turns out my car was really low on refrigerant/Freon. Apparently there was a very slow leak for many many years. So is filled with Freon and recharged and that works well maybe a little less than I would expect but I wonder if it's just an old system.
      10-07-2021, 07:08 AM   #31
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

The S65 and S55 are complimentary in the garage, and not a replacement for one versus the other. I personally think the F87 really shines if we're talking F generation cars, it just has more of a personality in my opinion. Exhaust also seems to sound better on that platform compared to the early base F8x version.

I own an S54, S65 and S55 powered engine, and they're all really special in their own way IMHO.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0