BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

07-01-2021, 01:45 AM   #1
ol doc gully
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, 72 240Z, tacorunner

Polyurethane lip options, Ikon?

I'm looking for a polyurethane lip. I prefer a subtle plastic OEM look and the durability.

I'd like a simple/minimal GTS style just to flatten out the lower edge of the bumper and hopefully still keeping maximum clearance possible.

The only one I've found at all is the Ikon lip, or at least I see that brand on it sometimes and every single other PU lip I find appears identical, links below. (i'm not interested in this style or this style)

My only concern is it appears to drop down pretty far compared to a lot of other options and I'm worried clearance is going to be terrible. Does anybody have any experience with these? Or want to lend some input on clearance based on the pictures? Or does it look 'more or less the same' as other GTS lips to those of you who have more experience with them?

link 1

link 2

link 3

Last edited by ol doc gully; 02-01-2022 at 02:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 11:04 AM   #2
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

I haven't purchased ikon polyurethane lips before but my friend purchased one for his e92 335i years ago. They come packaged crushed in a square box. You will need to heat and remold the lip back into shape. The quality is pretty low as well so your body shop will need to work with it to make it work.
      07-07-2021, 01:11 AM   #3
ol doc gully
Private First Class
Rep

Yeah, I wouldn't expect fitment to be much better or worse than the cheap end of 'carbon fiber' options, and at least these would be more flexible and durable.

How was the finish after it unfolded? ie were the corners where it was folded white-ish or noticeable as far as color? Just asking because I would prefer to leave it unpainted if at all possible.

Thank you for the input.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 03:15 PM   #4
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol doc gully View Post
Yeah, I wouldn't expect fitment to be much better or worse than the cheap end of 'carbon fiber' options, and at least these would be more flexible and durable.

How was the finish after it unfolded? ie were the corners where it was folded white-ish or noticeable as far as color? Just asking because I would prefer to leave it unpainted if at all possible.

Thank you for the input.
The color was not white but some of it wouldn't get back into shape at all. He ended up throwing it away as the fit was bad and the body shop said its a waste of time - it will never look oem. The 335i coupe oem lip is rather different though as it molds onto the bumper. The GTS lip just attaches at the bottom so it may look better.
      07-07-2021, 08:24 PM   #5
ol doc gully
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks, definitely needs to be taken into account. Given that, combined with my bigger concern that it looks to hang down lower / further out than even something like the challenge lip, I’m not gonna pull the trigger for now.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 02:20 PM   #6
OzCoE92
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW M3

Quote:
Thanks, definitely needs to be taken into account. Given that, combined with my bigger concern that it looks to hang down lower / further out than even something like the challenge lip, I’m not gonna pull the trigger for now.
PM sent, I have a BNIB poly GTS lip for sale if you want it.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 10:31 AM   #7
Idfkman
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Had an ikon poly CRT style lip at one point and it was decent quality and fit. It fell off eventually (poor installation on my part) but held up we until then.
      09-14-2021, 03:22 PM   #8
ol doc gully
Private First Class
Rep

How low was it? Any other lips you’ve had to compare it to?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 05:40 PM   #9
Wally1552
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

If you are willing to pay about 600 for plastic check out 360carbon gts-r lip. It's the best low key lip I have seen and quality seems good. Just know they charge about $220 just to ship.from germany

https://360carbon.de/en/shop/bmw-m-c...3-e90-e92-e93/
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 02:50 AM   #10
ol doc gully
Private First Class
Rep

Yeah… $600 is more than I’m willing to pay for an ‘experiment’ (since I’m not too confident I’ll have the clearance I need with even the smallest lips).

However, that really looks great, the pictures confirm that’s what I want. Also, looking at that side pic they give, compared to the ‘ikon’ pictures, makes me realize they are likely a lot closer to the challenge lip as far as clearance, and thus not likely going to work for me anyhow.

Maybe I’ll buy a cheap used/cracked CF lip and just fix it and paint it…
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 03:18 AM   #11
gtenedio
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '%E2%80%9909 e92 m3, '19 X3, %

you get what you pay for
      02-01-2022, 01:46 PM   #12
ol doc gully
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtenedio View Post
you get what you pay for
And a fool and his money are soon parted. Good, quality polyurethane chin spoilers are commonly <$300. That is indeed what I would like to get and pay for, with at least some confidence that it is on the higher end as far as amount of clearance.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 11:50 AM   #13
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Yeah… $600 is more than I’m willing to pay for an ‘experiment’ (since I’m not too confident I’ll have the clearance I need with even the smallest lips).

However, that really looks great, the pictures confirm that’s what I want. Also, looking at that side pic they give, compared to the ‘ikon’ pictures, makes me realize they are likely a lot closer to the challenge lip as far as clearance, and thus not likely going to work for me anyhow.

Maybe I’ll buy a cheap used/cracked CF lip and just fix it and paint it…

The 360carbon lip is an exact replica of the GTS OE upper lip (5 mounting points) and it is made out of either CFRP or FRP. They are expecting to release an ABS plastic one this year. I believe the price will be the same.

As far as fitment goes, I think the best fitment for GTS Lips in order goes: OE GTS Lip > Alpha N || 360 Carbon > Mode Carbon > Everything else.

You will notice the poor gaps on bumper in the center curvatures on the cheaper lips and the Alpha N and 360carbon ones are very good in being flush.
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0