home
E46 M3 Coupe and Convertible Forum General E46 M3 Forum

06-14-2009, 03:56 AM   #1
z00
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2004 M3 MT

Notchy 2nd and 3rd gear

I bought a 2004 M3 with 67600 miles manual transmission. It has CPO and extended maintenance program, in great shape.

I feel that when switching from 1st to 2nd gear and sometimes form 2nd to 3rd the shifting is notchy. This only happens if you shift at higher RPMs > 4000. If I wait and keep the clutch engaged for a little longer before releasing it then shifting is smooth (till RPM drops a little).

I took it to the BMW dealer and the techie said I'll need a clutch in 10000-14000 miles. I should replace the tranny fluid for now. And when it gets worse I should replace the clutch. It should be covered by maintenance plan as far as I know. I tried testing if the clutch is slipping and it's not. Simply I put hand brake on, put car in 4th gear and tried to move it. The engine stalled. This is method I got on ehow.com to test if the clutch is slipping. Is this right?

I took the car to another teachie at Bavrian shop, he thought it was the transmission and something wrong with the synchros.

Any ideas? If it were the clutch, should I also replace the flywheel or resurface it? Flywheel is not covered and have to pay for it.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2009, 10:14 AM   #2
John@BMW
I can't belive this car is a 4 door family sedan.
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 sedan, '96 M3

Well, you have 2 possible issues-

1) its probably a good idea to replace the trans fluid in the car- you can use the bmw fluid or you choose your redline or Royal purple fluid of choice.

2) it might be a good idea to replace/flush out all of the brake fluid in the car and make sure that the clutch line is bled VERY well. Sometimes, the hydraulic system in these cars can accumulate moisture over time and or, the fluid gets dirty- this can cause the clutch to not disengage properly which can create the notchy feeling you are getting.

Both of those things are super cheap to do and should be done first. It cant hurt!

Then, if that does not fix the issue, it could be the clutch. Worst case scenario, the transmission...

I replaced the trans in my 08 m3 at 5200 miles!!!! due to a bad 2nd gear syncro
      06-25-2009, 09:29 PM   #3
z00
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2004 M3 MT

Thanks for the tips. Was the tranny replaced by the dealer or you had to pay for it?

Is the tranny covered under the CPO? My car has 70K miles on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John@BMW View Post
Well, you have 2 possible issues-

1) its probably a good idea to replace the trans fluid in the car- you can use the bmw fluid or you choose your redline or Royal purple fluid of choice.

2) it might be a good idea to replace/flush out all of the brake fluid in the car and make sure that the clutch line is bled VERY well. Sometimes, the hydraulic system in these cars can accumulate moisture over time and or, the fluid gets dirty- this can cause the clutch to not disengage properly which can create the notchy feeling you are getting.

Both of those things are super cheap to do and should be done first. It cant hurt!

Then, if that does not fix the issue, it could be the clutch. Worst case scenario, the transmission...

I replaced the trans in my 08 m3 at 5200 miles!!!! due to a bad 2nd gear syncro
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2009, 10:33 PM   #4
msile
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW M3 Coupe

I have not driven an M3 (e46) that was not notchy. I dont think it is a problem. Mine does it too.