BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-30-2009, 02:13 PM   #111
niterider
Proove It!
Rep
Drives: Gintani Supercharged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawaaz View Post
You have just just helped my confidence a whole lot more since I made the purchase last week. It was extremely tough for me to spend THAT much money on a exhaust system that I've never heard or seen in person.

But now, I really and truly can't wait to find out of what all the praises were about on the Gintani, expecially the full catless system.
Ur gonna love it bro, ur gonna want to get on it all the time, I hope u have a radar
      08-30-2009, 02:18 PM   #112
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by niterider View Post
Ur gonna love it bro, ur gonna want to get on it all the time, I hope u have a radar
I hope I can impress tons of people like you too!

And I definitely have a radar.......I feel NAKED without it!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 02:26 PM   #113
Cuban///M3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post
Was that you on the 101 at the same time as me? You have the P40's?
yes that was me
      08-30-2009, 06:43 PM   #114
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuban///M3 View Post
yes that was me
Awesome, hopefully 2 weeks or less til it's on our cars! Anyone who hasn't heard this exhaust needs to hear it IN PERSON. It's seriously unbelievable and sounds better than any exhaust setup I've ever heard.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 08:18 PM   #115
ModLikeMad
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Soon to be 09' M3

I'm stoked that everyone is giving this exhaust such great reviews as it will most likely be the first mod I do as soon as I take delivery of my M. I want to do the full system but I will be moving to GA some time in the next 6-8 months and they do emissions testing up there, so my questions are can i even get the full system and still pass emissions testing and if/when i get the full system will it thow a CEL? Thanks guys...
      08-30-2009, 08:29 PM   #116
emesdub
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModLikeMad View Post
I'm stoked that everyone is giving this exhaust such great reviews as it will most likely be the first mod I do as soon as I take delivery of my M. I want to do the full system but I will be moving to GA some time in the next 6-8 months and they do emissions testing up there, so my questions are can i even get the full system and still pass emissions testing and if/when i get the full system will it thow a CEL? Thanks guys...
well gintani offers two versions of their "full system":

a) full catless
b) with high flow cats (hfc's)

if you go full catless, you WILL get CEL (unless you get a remap of course). come smog time, you can just replace your oem section 1 and 2 piping and leave the rear section. even at this point, i'm not sure you'll pass with the gintani axleback. if this is the case, you can always just throw your oem rear section back on. after all, it's a full bolt-on system.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 09:41 PM   #117
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Awesome, hopefully 2 weeks or less til it's on our cars! Anyone who hasn't heard this exhaust needs to hear it IN PERSON. It's seriously unbelievable and sounds better than any exhaust setup I've ever heard.
Speechless.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 09:44 PM   #118
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by emesdub View Post
well gintani offers two versions of their "full system":

a) full catless
b) with high flow cats (hfc's)

if you go full catless, you WILL get CEL (unless you get a remap of course). come smog time, you can just replace your oem section 1 and 2 piping and leave the rear section. even at this point, i'm not sure you'll pass with the gintani axleback. if this is the case, you can always just throw your oem rear section back on. after all, it's a full bolt-on system.
All good, but I'm confused on why someone with only the rear section exhaust would not pass the smog test.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 09:50 PM   #119
DevJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 V10+/YMB M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawaaz View Post
All good, but I'm confused on why someone with only the rear section exhaust would not pass the smog test.
Me too. You should most likely pass all Texas inspections..may be different in California though..
http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=133578&d=1204654487[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 09:53 PM   #120
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

^ yeah, I guess it must be a California thing.....
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 10:12 PM   #121
ModLikeMad
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

alright, so barring me removing my WHOLE exhaust once a year, can i get the full system w/ HFC's and pass emissions testing AND get no CEL?
      08-30-2009, 10:15 PM   #122
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
Ask Gintani directly about the CEL, I haven't read a clean and clear answer about that. It'll definitely lessen the chance of a CEL, I can tell you that

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 10:16 PM   #123
ModLikeMad
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

just a side note, i live in miami now so emissions testing doesn't exist here, however when I move to Georgia in 6-8 months I don't wanna have to deal with any hassles up there but I really want, nei MUST, get this system... sounds absolutely orgasmic and thats just on film!
      08-30-2009, 10:25 PM   #124
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ask Gintani directly about the CEL, I haven't read a clean and clear answer about that. It'll definitely lessen the chance of a CEL, I can tell you that
I was told that the check engine light would be turned off with their ECU upgrade.

Quote:
alright, so barring me removing my WHOLE exhaust once a year, can i get the full system w/ HFC's and pass emissions testing AND get no CEL?
Quote:
just a side note, i live in miami now so emissions testing doesn't exist here, however when I move to Georgia in 6-8 months I don't wanna have to deal with any hassles up there but I really want, nei MUST, get this system... sounds absolutely orgasmic and thats just on film!
Just get the Gintani and don't look back man. You can easily have a buddy switch it to stock when it comes to inspection time.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 11:30 PM   #125
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

You can pass any emissions test in the US with just a catback. However, you wouldn't pass federal NOISE standards; that's where they could get you .

And if you swap back your stock exhaust, you need to drive at least 100 miles before testing so your OBDII develops a history. And possibly erase any previous codes as well, but am not certain what those state tests can read. Remember most states test thru the OBDII port (they look for trouble codes) now, not the tailpipes.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 11:39 PM   #126
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
You can pass any emissions test in the US with just a catback. However, you wouldn't pass federal NOISE standards; that's where they could get you .

And if you swap back your stock exhaust, you need to drive at least 100 miles before testing so your OBDII develops a history. And possibly erase any previous codes as well, but am not certain what those state tests can read. Remember most states test thru the OBDII port (they look for trouble codes) now, not the tailpipes.
hmmm.....Interesting. I'll have to be extra cautious in preparation before the inspection then.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2009, 11:21 AM   #127
ModLikeMad
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I Pm'ed Raz from Gintani last night in order to get a "straight from the horse's mouth" answer and will post his response once I receive it so that way there is no speculation, just fact. Thanks for your help as well guys, I know this can be a tricky subject. I also looked into doing something like what AA offers by using a stubbie, but not sure if it will work with the Gintani setup...

http://activeautowerke.com/viewprodu...x?id=Product89
      08-31-2009, 12:04 PM   #128
niterider
Proove It!
Rep
Drives: Gintani Supercharged

If u have just a cat back system u should pass the emissions test however the noise level wont b legal (atleast not in cali). If u have anything with no cats (in cali) u wont pass emissions test period. If u have any cel light on while performing emissions test, u wont pass. If u have the full catless system n u get the software as well, it will eliminate the cel but since their is now cats u still wont pass emissions test (again this is in Cali). If u have HFC u can prob. pass emissions tests in some states, depending on the type of emissions required. However I dnt think u can pass in Cali with HFC.

They are very strict here so almost any hfc or catless system will fail. Ur best bet is to keep ur stock system and just put it back when time for testing comes, this will save u from any other trouble. I know some states dnt require cats so u can prob. pass emissions but u need to find out what ur state requires as far as this goes. I dnt think anyone will have the correct answer since every state has different laws. All I know is that in California, stock is best for testing. If it wasnt for all hardcore emissions testing here we would prob. get a lot more of the cooler higher hp euro cars.
      08-31-2009, 04:09 PM   #129
ModLikeMad
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Alright, so I heard back from Gintani and though they apologized for it taking a while to get back to me, it wasn't even a full day!! (these guys are awsome!)
Anyhow, here was their "official" response to my question about emissions testing and the CEL issue...

Hi sorry it took so long to get back to you we've been really busy. The system will most likely not pass emissions even with the HFC's. We use the HFC's mainly for noise reduction. I would recomend you get the full system without cats and put your stock cats and mid section when taking it in for emissions. Our system is all bolt on and very easy to install and uninstall. Regarding the CEL you would have to send us your ECU so we get rid of the CEL that is a $200 charge and you wouldn't get CEL's. If I could help you with anything else please let me Know.Hope we have aswered all your ?'s
Thanks,
Arno
      08-31-2009, 04:15 PM   #130
ModLikeMad
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

On a lighter note, I went through a significant part of the Georgia emissions laws looking for a loop hole and found a small nugget that did make me quite happy:
There is a portion in the laws that talks about exemptions from testing and one of the exemptions is that if you own a new vehicle than you are exempt from testing until three years after the new car's model year.

So if I buy a 2010 M3 (instead of the 09') than I won't even have to test until 2013 and in the mean time, catless, full exhaust-Gintani LOVE!! I love loopholes...
      08-31-2009, 04:19 PM   #131
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Alright, so I heard back from Gintani and though they apologized for it taking a while to get back to me, it wasn't even a full day!! (these guys are awsome!)
Anyhow, here was their "official" response to my question about emissions testing and the CEL issue...

Hi sorry it took so long to get back to you we've been really busy. The system will most likely not pass emissions even with the HFC's. We use the HFC's mainly for noise reduction. I would recomend you get the full system without cats and put your stock cats and mid section when taking it in for emissions. Our system is all bolt on and very easy to install and uninstall. Regarding the CEL you would have to send us your ECU so we get rid of the CEL that is a $200 charge and you wouldn't get CEL's. If I could help you with anything else please let me Know.Hope we have aswered all your ?'s
Thanks,
Arno
Gintani FTW!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2009, 07:20 PM   #132
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

So did anyone SQUEEZE in last minute and get the Gintani today since their sale was coming to an end?
Appreciate 0