BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

European Auto Source (EAS)

06-16-2011, 02:18 PM   #1
Mk23
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92

Garage List
2009 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Looking for a good dash cam! Need Help!

I'm looking for a good in dash camera to protect myself from the horde of utter idiots that swarm the roads around here. I have already been t-boned by a red light runner and the person got off without even a ticket. I intend to keep something like this from happening again with my own personal video witness. I am looking for something that will loop the video on itself after it is full and will keep recording for at least 6 to 8 hours. I am looking for something in the $100-$300 range and am basically looking for something like This, But with better build quality, a better mount and possibly night vision. The linked camera lacks all three of the previous qualities... And I am not a fan of GoPro, their stuff is way too big for what I need. I really need something I can conceal somewhat. i.e. can't be a huge mount or camera.

Cliff Notes: I am looking for a high end DVR dash camera.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. - Thanks
      06-16-2011, 02:54 PM   #2
tHegeRm
Got Turbs?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' Lemans Blue 135is

I think your price range is optimistic at best. An HD GoPro is at the top of your price range with no "loop back" feature. To get smaller in size (than go pro) would def mean an increase in price.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 03:02 PM   #3
jpsum
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 TSX

http://www.amazon.com/Itronics-ITB-7.../dp/B004ASMDA8

http://dash-camera.com/shop/product_...roducts_id=176
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 03:20 PM   #4
Mk23
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tHegeRm View Post
I think your price range is optimistic at best. An HD GoPro is at the top of your price range with no "loop back" feature. To get smaller in size (than go pro) would def mean an increase in price.
Guess those are fake links then?

Question - are these two products the same? (keep in mind you can add IR which changes it's shape)

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/2-5-lcd...de-angle-35356
      06-16-2011, 05:08 PM   #5
E90SoFlo
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Get the Go-Pro its awesome. Super wide, and you can use it for a million other things
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 05:16 PM   #6
KGB7
Crazy Russian Bastard
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 740i sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk335i View Post
Guess those are fake links then?

Question - are these two products the same? (keep in mind you can add IR which changes it's shape)

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/2-5-lcd...de-angle-35356

Video Quality of Go Pro is ten times better then these cameras.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 02:43 AM   #7
Mk23
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB7 View Post
Video Quality of Go Pro is ten times better then these cameras.
Yes, but I can still get fairly hi-rez with a smaller package. The go pro is too big to mount and conceal in my dash, won't work for the job I need it for. I don't want every cop that pulls me over to instantly see that huge camera mounted in the window and see a new way to hand out tickets, which they can and more than likely will do.

I still need a decent cam. Are the two cams in the links the same? Anyone know?
      06-17-2011, 08:28 AM   #8
E90SoFlo
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Yes, but I can still get fairly hi-rez with a smaller package. The go pro is too big to mount and conceal in my dash, won't work for the job I need it for. I don't want every cop that pulls me over to instantly see that huge camera mounted in the window and see a new way to hand out tickets, which they can and more than likely will do.

Is it illegal to have a camera in you're car? If you were to get pulled over, then just use the quick mount and drop it on the floor?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 01:45 PM   #9
tHegeRm
Got Turbs?
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Could you not get creative and find a way to hide the cam on your dash?

I have to agree since I have used cheaper and goPro, the image quality of the goPro is unmatched.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 01:59 PM   #10
Mk23
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SoFlo View Post
Is it illegal to have a camera in you're car? If you were to get pulled over, then just use the quick mount and drop it on the floor?
No it's not illegal to have a camera but to have it on in some places while pulled over is. It can also be used to give me a ticket for speeding, no signal, no full stop, etc. They can basically take it and use it against me whenever I get pulled over or something happens. In my city we have a lot of corrupt power tripping cops and to have it visible is asking for it to get taken away.

Quote:
Could you not get creative and find a way to hide the cam on your dash?

I have to agree since I have used cheaper and goPro, the image quality of the goPro is unmatched.
I AM NOT LOOKING TO BUY A GO PRO. I don't care if it has unmatched quality, it doesn't even loop on itself and is the size of a softball (with mounting). High resolution is not my top priority. I just need something to show who's at fault of an accident, not something to make movies with...

06-17-2011, 02:02 PM   #11
tHegeRm
Got Turbs?
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No it's not illegal to have a camera but to have it on in some places while pulled over is. It can also be used to give me a ticket for speeding, no signal, no full stop, etc. They can basically take it and use it against me whenever I get pulled over or something happens. In my city we have a lot of corrupt power tripping cops and to have it visible is asking for it to get taken away.

I AM NOT LOOKING TO BUY A GO PRO. I don't care if it has unmatched quality, it doesn't even loop on itself and is the size of a softball (with mounting). High resolution is not my top priority. I just need something to show who's at fault of an accident, not something to make movies with...

Then buy said linked crap and call it a day.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 02:03 PM   #12
E90SoFlo
Banned
Rep

Quote:

If you don't care the quality just go buy any helmet mount camera down at wallmart.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 03:17 PM   #13
gun6slinger9
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 428xi

Why do people ask for opinions from others, then reject them? Looks like you already made up your mind.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 07:42 PM   #14
Mk23
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Then buy said linked crap and call it a day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SoFlo View Post
If you don't care the quality just go buy any helmet mount camera down at wallmart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gun6slinger9 View Post
Why do people ask for opinions from others, then reject them? Looks like you already made up your mind.
Wow, I had no idea that the only dash cameras that exist are the go pro and those two links, learn something every day... Nevermind I'll check elsewhere. Thanks to the person who gave the two links, and to those who genuinely tried to help.